Why is Russ getting so much praise for "coming back early"?

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":35ak8ti6 said:
rcaido":35ak8ti6 said:
Who cares if he came back early...Geno would not have been able to beat the Packers. At least one less game to get his timing back.
We put up zero points. We held the Packers to 3 points until the late 4th quarter. We needed backup tier level of play and we didn't even get that. The Geno Smith performances we saw from every game would have been enough to potentially win. That injury Russ came back from usually takes much longer, we rushed it -- which is also potentially going to caused that injury to linger for longer. He was not ready to play.

Not that I agree with he was not ready and should not have been allowed to play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John63":2dg2iopv said:
Spin Doctor":2dg2iopv said:
John63":2dg2iopv said:
Spin Doctor":2dg2iopv said:
I'm starting to think Russell Wilson has an accountability problem. He has nobody holding him accountable and as a result he's playing a sloppy, undisciplined game. Wilson couldn't even player under center and he was throwing ducks out there. Carroll had to have seen those in practices.

you don't think having not played for over a month and coming back from an injury had something to do with it maybe?
This issue extends further than just the Packers game. If you look at Wilson's statline over the last 17 games, it looks a lot like something Baker Mayfield would put up. Not bad, but certainly not great either. Much of this (refer to the other Wilson thread) is due to tendencies of Wilson himself. For example, his pre-snap read game is not very good. You can see Kurt Warner harp on it in a video dissecting Wilson. Another poster before that video posted him missing the same things, consistently this year. Missing wide open receivers as well, normally running in the middle of the field. Or, he'll ignore open receivers looking for something deep.

The Packers game was just an example of Pete Carroll caving to Wilson.

Well let look at it I will use Passer rating to make it simple, every regular-season game each QB played 2020-date Removing middle-of-the-road ratings (85-90) to ensure all have the same number of games.

Which one is Wilson

qb1
Passer rating below 85- 4
Passer rating 85-99- 2
Passer rating 100>- 15

Qb2
Passer rating below 85- 7
Passer rating 85-99- 1
Passer rating 100>- 13

Qb3
Passer rating below 85- 3
Passer rating 85-99- 3
Passer rating 100>- 15

QB 4
Passer rating 85-99- 4
Passer rating 100>- 14

So once you decide keep in mind this clearly shows he has not played as bad as some make it out. And this does not count rushing info, only passing which is this first job of a QB. eh ha splayed as well as almost any QB a lot of great games a few decent games and a few stinkers.
QB rating is a really bad way to evaluate QB play. Kirk Cousins one of the highest QB ratings of all time, and is only 3 points behind Russell Wilson. Would you consider Kirk Cousins one of the best QB's in the league? Would you consider him the 7th all time best passer in the NFL?

What is your rebuttal to people like Samuel Gold, Keasley, and Kurt Warner's observations with visual evidence to back it up? Statistics are absolutely meaningless in a vacuum and players like Kirk Cousins prove just that.

I'm not saying Wilson is a bad QB, not by any means -- I'm saying he has some deficits in his game and right now he really needs a tough hand and accountability to guide him if he ever wants to evolve past them as a player.

He can get there, we've seen players such as McNabb, and Cunningham develop those skills -- but right now, and for the last year he's played mediocre football.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1deb2y8x said:
hoxrox":1deb2y8x said:
pittpnthrs":1deb2y8x said:
Aros":1deb2y8x said:
This is what I, and many others have a problem with. Russell is so concerned about his "brand" and "legacy" his ego is driving his common sense. Yes he worked his ass off to come back sooner than the average timeline. I'm not trying to undermine his incredible commitment and work ethic which has been legendary since he came into the league. But this is not the same man who came into the league. It's not just X's and O's anymore. It's all about how he can strengthen his brand, his legacy...I won't fall for the trap of saying Ciara is the problem. However, you can't tell me she helps either.

She too wants to strengthen her brand...I would imagine nothing would make them both happier than if they left for a larger market like LA or NY. Russell's motivation to come back so soon against Green Bay was hoping for that story line of "Russell's incredible comeback as he puts the team on his back to victory in Green Bay" to add to his "legacy". His ego in essence placed his interests over the team's. I don't fault him for wanting to compete and see if he could help the team win but he should have done the right thing and taken himself out of the game when it was clear he didn't have it.

I miss the Russell that never slept. That was the one who was up all night going over game film and prepping and studying. No distractions about what fur coat he's going to wear while straddling a horse on some magazine shoot. Or sniffing perfumes or colognes to see which ones he prefers to add to his line.

I miss 2012-2016 Russell. We all do.

I'm sorry but I cant buy this. He's a football player that wants to play and wants to win. Period. He worked hard to overcome an injury and he felt like he was good enough to go. Pete thought he was good enough to go. Pete must have also felt that a Russell Wilson at 70% or so gave the team a better chance at winning than a healthy Geno Smith. It just didnt work out. To say he rushed back just to elevate his 'brand' is BS in my opinion.

While what you say may have some merit. Russell's production team made sure we all knew it was "time" for his return, am I right? What other QB puts out a produced video about their injuries if personal branding was not the intent?

Oh, I don't know, MAYBE he's just letting everyone know that he's gone out of his way, busting his butt to get back to helping HIS team mates to winning again....Instead, he's getting flack BY SOME OF HIS OWN FANS, for pushing himself really hard FOR THEM.

Out of his way? For us?

It's his ******* job that he gets compensated handsomely for. I promise you nothing that Russell or anyone on the team does is for us. For teammates, sure.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1r4i6ehx said:
John63":1r4i6ehx said:
Spin Doctor":1r4i6ehx said:
John63":1r4i6ehx said:
you don't think having not played for over a month and coming back from an injury had something to do with it maybe?
This issue extends further than just the Packers game. If you look at Wilson's statline over the last 17 games, it looks a lot like something Baker Mayfield would put up. Not bad, but certainly not great either. Much of this (refer to the other Wilson thread) is due to tendencies of Wilson himself. For example, his pre-snap read game is not very good. You can see Kurt Warner harp on it in a video dissecting Wilson. Another poster before that video posted him missing the same things, consistently this year. Missing wide open receivers as well, normally running in the middle of the field. Or, he'll ignore open receivers looking for something deep.

Well let look at it I will use Passer rating to make it simple, every regular-season game each QB played 2020-date Removing middle-of-the-road ratings (85-90) to ensure all have the same number of games.

Which one is Wilson

qb1
Passer rating 85-99- 2
Passer rating 100>- 15

Qb2
Passer rating 85-99- 1
Passer rating 100>- 13

Qb3
Passer rating 85-99- 3
Passer rating 100>- 15

QB 4
Passer rating 85-99- 4
Passer rating 100>- 14

So once you decide keep in mind this clearly shows he has not played as bad as some make it out. And this does not count rushing info, only passing which is this first job of a QB. eh ha splayed as well as almost any QB a lot of great games a few decent games and a few stinkers.
QB rating is a really bad way to evaluate QB play. Kirk Cousins one of the highest QB ratings of all time, and is only 3 points behind Russell Wilson. Would you consider Kirk Cousins one of the best QB's in the league? Would you consider him the 7th all time best passer in the NFL?

What is your rebuttal to people like Samuel Gold, Keasley, and Kurt Warner's observations with visual evidence to back it up? Statistics are absolutely meaningless in a vacuum and players like Kirk Cousins prove just that.

I'm not saying Wilson is a bad QB, not by any means -- I'm saying he has some deficits in his game and right now he really needs a tough hand and accountability to guide him if he ever wants to evolve past them as a player.

He can get there, we've seen players such as McNabb, and Cunningham develop those skills -- but right now, and for the last year he's played mediocre football.

The problem is he does not have HC who knows hot to do much other than run and throw long and will not give up the reigns to allow anyone else to do it. Also Wilson leads the league or is amongst the tops in almost every qb category there isn over the last 10 years. So it's not just passer rating.

strohmin

Reaction score
BamKam":11xudjqz said:
Especially if it ultimately hurt the team? Seems like he is still in this weird "I have to prove to people i'm tough and resilient" phase. Almost as if it was more important that he came back than how he would actually effect the game. He gets the weirdest excuses for playing so poorlu sometimes.

Are you seriously faulting an athlete for doing his best to come back from injury???? I am not much of a Russell fan but one thing you cant say is that he tried to come back to early. It is the job of Pete Carroll and the health staff to determine whether he was ready or not. Russell is always going to say he is ready but the health staff and Pete have to be smarter than that.

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the original question of ............... Why is Russ getting so much praise for "coming back early"?

I subscribe to the band theory. It's the headliner for whom all the attention is focused. Many don't care about or can name all the band members ....... rather the attention is focused almost exclusively on just the lead entertainer.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":17xh1igg said:
I haven't seen any praise about it anywhere. The opposite actually. My gut tells m that he was going to probably have an off game whenever he came back. Rusty from not playing is a real thing. The finger is better. He's had his chance to shake off the rust. This Sunday its time to see him play well. I believe he will.

Yeah, against Jax. Not really that much of a contest given our self-styled TB-type qb who just reiterated to the media again that he wants to play another 10 years and then own a team.

Why don't you try to get through this season, Russ.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3kyhaw6o said:
Out of his way? For us?

It's his f*** job that he gets compensated handsomely for. I promise you nothing that Russell or anyone on the team does is for us. For teammates, sure.

So it's your contention that he didn't push himself exorbitantly, and beyond, come back way too soon for anything other than just the money, when all he had to do is sit on his @$$ on the sidelines, and still collect a handsome paycheck?
And, I "Promise You", that he wants to be one of the greatest to ever play the game, play the game until he's at least 40 + ALL STARS play for the recognition, AND THEIR FANS.
There are a few here that just plain have the guy pegged as a shallow, & self centered person, What's up with that? :177692:

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
scutterhawk":37ot3xdr said:
OrangeGravy":37ot3xdr said:
Out of his way? For us?

It's his f*** job that he gets compensated handsomely for. I promise you nothing that Russell or anyone on the team does is for us. For teammates, sure.

So it's your contention that he didn't push himself exorbitantly, and beyond, come back way too soon for anything other than just the money, when all he had to do is sit on his @$$ on the sidelines, and still collect a handsome paycheck?
And, I "Promise You", that he wants to be one of the greatest to ever play the game, play the game until he's at least 40 + ALL STARS play for the recognition, AND THEIR FANS.
There are a few here that just plain have the guy pegged as a shallow, & self centered person, What's up with that? :177692:
All of that is for them. The recognition FROM fans is feeds their own ego. What do fans get our of that? Push himself beyond what? Is he the only QB or player that ever pushed themselves to get back earlier than anticipated? Great, he wants to be the greatest, but how does that benefit any fans? Want to be the greatest, go out and do it between the lines. Stop talking about being the greatest. People who are great at something usually don't have to mention it.

Don't talk about, be about it

toffee

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3ccdmgar said:
scutterhawk":3ccdmgar said:
OrangeGravy":3ccdmgar said:
Out of his way? For us?

All of that is for them. The recognition FROM fans is feeds their own ego. What do fans get our of that? Push himself beyond what? Is he the only QB or player that ever pushed themselves to get back earlier than anticipated? Great, he wants to be the greatest, but how does that benefit any fans? Want to be the greatest, go out and do it between the lines. Stop talking about being the greatest. People who are great at something usually don't have to mention it.

Ali did talk about it, "greatest" was in every one of Ali's sentences :) But Ali did back it up with action in the rings,

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":al80ew5u said:
John63":al80ew5u said:
Spin Doctor":al80ew5u said:
John63":al80ew5u said:

Which one is Wilson

qb1
Passer rating 85-99- 2
Passer rating 100>- 15

Qb2
Passer rating 85-99- 1
Passer rating 100>- 13

Qb3
Passer rating 85-99- 3
Passer rating 100>- 15

QB 4
Passer rating 85-99- 4
Passer rating 100>- 14

I am of the opinion that Russ is uncoachable at this point, not under Pete anyways. He chewed out 2 OCs, with the 3rd couldn't even get started.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":1f3czoea said:
OrangeGravy":1f3czoea said:
scutterhawk":1f3czoea said:
OrangeGravy":1f3czoea said:
Out of his way? For us?

Ali did talk about it, "greatest" was in every one of Ali's sentences :) But Ali did back it up with action in the rings,

Ali was a master self marketing and promotion machine, he elevated Boxing to a level that has never been achieved since. Yes he backed it up till Parkinson's started having an effect, I think his last fight he knew it and was trying to battle thru it regardless he was such a competitor.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":4rgofkc6 said:
scutterhawk":4rgofkc6 said:
OrangeGravy":4rgofkc6 said:
Out of his way? For us?

Exactly this!
He posted crap saying 19hrs a day and I'm a Woverine!
stfu and just let the play do the talking..
he just made himself look like a big idiot.

strohmin

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1wc3ezkp said:
OrangeGravy":1wc3ezkp said:
scutterhawk":1wc3ezkp said:
OrangeGravy":1wc3ezkp said:
Out of his way? For us?

Exactly this!
He posted crap saying 19hrs a day and I'm a Woverine!
stfu and just let the play do the talking..
he just made himself look like a big idiot.

Sometimes pushing yourself requires you to say what you are going to do to people who will hold you accountable. Who better to hold you accountable then the fans themselves? Yeah, it backfired but Russ always thinks about the positive of every situation so I'm sure he wont care about the backlash.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toffee":2wbypssv said:
OrangeGravy":2wbypssv said:
scutterhawk":2wbypssv said:
OrangeGravy":2wbypssv said:
Out of his way? For us?

Exactly my point, that is Wilsons' mindset also, he wanted to get back in the saddle FAST, because he BELIEVES that he gives the Seahawks their best chance at winning, and the "MONEY" had zero to do with his decisions.
Being overly ambitious, he pushed himself to coming back too soon, THAT'S the tiger in him.
He's set super high standards for himself (like Ali) and intends to live up to all of them.
Some here on .NET have no clue on the rarity of having that much commitment & drive, so many of them just criticize.
Did Wilson push too hard to getting back too soon?, hell yes he did, BUT I doubt you'd convince him of that...He's a CAN DO guy, and It's just not in his DNA to be a quitter.

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1cs5nom5 said:
Damn, you really do hate that guy don't you?

Me? I am Wilson Homer FYI.

I endorsed Wilson coming back early, I fault Pete for not pulling Russ after the first half, if not after 3 quarters, I repeatedly expressed that opinion during the game on game chats. It's like you are the corner man in a boxing match, when you guy clearly didn't have it anymore and taking punches not responding, you throw in the towel. Regardless if your guy disagrees. It was Pete's job to protect Russ and the game, which he failed in this incidence.