World Cup 2014

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So this seems like as good a place as any around here to discuss this. Seems like every day more stories come out regarding corruption surrounding Qatar's World Cup bid. Frankly, corruption is the only logical reason I can see as why they were selected. So now the issue becomes, assuming of course that FIFA decides to actually acknowledge the corruption, what to do? Should there be a re-vote? Who would be considered in the re-vote?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":119kahdq said:
So this seems like as good a place as any around here to discuss this. Seems like every day more stories come out regarding corruption surrounding Qatar's World Cup bid. Frankly, corruption is the only logical reason I can see as why they were selected. So now the issue becomes, assuming of course that FIFA decides to actually acknowledge the corruption, what to do? Should there be a re-vote? Who would be considered in the re-vote?

There seems to be alot of talk about a re-vote, and much of it coming from FIFA board members. It is my understanding that if there is a re-vote it would come down to the nations that were finalists (the US being one, I believe Great Britain being another).

Some issues surrounding it would be compensating Qatar for the investment they've made already (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it will be an issue) as well as the labor force currently working on the stadiums in Qatar (for a fascinating story on how those forces have been imported and are now dying by the droves check out Deadspin's article).

I think the corruption charge will ultimately mark the end of Blatter's tyrannical (too strong) imbecilic reign over FIFA. He's made enough enemies at this point that they've been waiting for a way to oust him. If they find enough, they will strip Qatar of its successful bid, reopen the voting and remove Blatter.

However, if you follow the machniations of the Football governing body you will know that any of those three, let alone all three are the "Triple Crown" of movement, and are long shots

or, let John Oliver explaint it: http://screamer.deadspin.com/john-o...ut-all-the-reasons-to-hat-1588004855/+Tom_Ley

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u78g1pt said:
SeatownJay":2u78g1pt said:

There seems to be alot of talk about a re-vote, and much of it coming from FIFA board members. It is my understanding that if there is a re-vote it would come down to the nations that were finalists (the US being one, I believe Great Britain being another).

Some issues surrounding it would be compensating Qatar for the investment they've made already (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it will be an issue) as well as the labor force currently working on the stadiums in Qatar (for a fascinating story on how those forces have been imported and are now dying by the droves check out Deadspin's article).

I think the corruption charge will ultimately mark the end of Blatter's tyrannical (too strong) imbecilic reign over FIFA. He's made enough enemies at this point that they've been waiting for a way to oust him. If they find enough, they will strip Qatar of its successful bid, reopen the voting and remove Blatter.

However, if you follow the machniations of the Football governing body you will know that any of those three, let alone all three are the "Triple Crown" of movement, and are long shots

or, let John Oliver explaint it: http://screamer.deadspin.com/john-o...ut-all-the-reasons-to-hat-1588004855/+Tom_Ley

Great Britain, England, Japan, and Australia would be in the mix to host should a re-vote happen.

Personally the most shocking thing about this...is how long it has taken to surface. I could have told your their were bribes from the moment the 2022 world cup was awarded. As John Oliver said, there are at least 50 reasons why this is a ridiculous place to host a world cup.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Did anyone else catch Alexis Lalas telling Everton's manager how to best make comments to the media? (Re: Klinsmann's comments about winning a World Cup being unrealistic.)

I thought that was pretty ballsy for an analyst to tell a BPL manager how to coaches ought to act - especially when Martinez gave him about five good reasons why Juergen was in the right.

Also, I'm glad to see Oliver's commentary getting around. Last Week Tonight is a great show.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
[vimeo]97929868[/vimeo]

I'm so ready for this.

I'll Take Brazil 3-2 over Croatia. We start with a bang today fellas.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1ue4vz7g said:
Did anyone else catch Alexis Lalas telling Everton's manager how to best make comments to the media? (Re: Klinsmann's comments about winning a World Cup being unrealistic.)

I thought that was pretty ballsy for an analyst to tell a BPL manager how to coaches ought to act - especially when Martinez gave him about five good reasons why Juergen was in the right.

Also, I'm glad to see Oliver's commentary getting around. Last Week Tonight is a great show.

not to mention Martinez is one of the best spoken managers in the PL, not just one of the better coaches. Lalas is all that is wrong with American soccer. thankfully he's become the Dick Vitale of the culture.

on the first match.

Thank God Pitbull was there to get things rolling in his tight white pants and Brazil jersey. Looks like Dr. Evil on a beach holiday

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
New just hitting the web.

Ronaldo left training today after just 15 minutes with an ice pack on his knee.

Bp810kaIUAM5i9A

Will be interesting to see if he can go vs Germany.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":opvnsc25 said:
he'll be fine...

He's got what, 3, 4 days?

I think he'll play...I don't think he'll be 100%. Honestly, I think he's going to push himself too much to play.

Who you got in this one Si?

Srna vs Neymar seems like a bad position for Croatia.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":bfraloxd said:
Uncle Si":bfraloxd said:
he'll be fine...

He's got what, 3, 4 days?

I think he'll play...I don't think he'll be 100%. Honestly, I think he's going to push himself too much to play.

Who you got in this one Si?

Srna vs Neymar seems like a bad position for Croatia.

I think there's more goals for both sides in this to be honest. Croatia seem a bit to loose coming out of their own end for me.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think Croatia can beat Mexico & Cameroon and get out of the group stage. Brazil is the better team but Croatia played them tough and definitely had them off their game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1jgu68tu said:
I think Croatia can beat Mexico & Cameroon and get out of the group stage. Brazil is the better team but Croatia played them tough and definitely had them off their game.

At 1-1 it looked like both teams were thinking the same thing. The pen took the game apart.

Croatia still advance

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Some bad calls by the ref, and some bad Goal keeping by Croatia. IMO the keeper should have saved all three of those goals.

First one is a slow roller from distance. Even though he saw it a tad late, should be able to get down in that time.

On the penalty he got two hands to it. Should have been able to push it wide. Didn't have strong enough hands there. This is the most forgivable one IMO.

Third goal was just crap. Started with a missed foul call in the midfield and then Brazil went on the break. The centerbacks didn't commit to a tackle and the keeper was a statue.

As much as Croatia got F'd by the ref in this game...they let themselves down. They should still make it out of the group though.

I'd be licking my chops if I were Cameroon and Mexico. Brazil don't look the strong favorites everyone thought they would be. They look like a team that you can get points from.