World Cup 2014

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bit harsh on the keeper there Smurf... Inside post, hard struck pen and than side netting from the 18. Though the had the pen though

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":26g0salu said:
Bit harsh on the keeper there Smurf... Inside post, hard struck pen and than side netting from the 18. Though the had the pen though

He got beat from a toe poke from outside the 18...near post. That inexcusable. Those are saves that keepers should make. Period.

The first two, yeah...maybe i'm being harsh..but that last one was shoddy keeping..

Cesar wasn't anything special either.

Guess I'm spoiled by Howard, Guzan and Rimando...I feel that any of the three of them could have kept at least 1 of them out, if not 2 or 3.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
So did this Japanese ref really cheat for Brazil like I'm hearing?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Doesn't matter given we have zero chance to advance. It pisses me off that Mexico and Honduras will probably advance and we are better then both of them.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1txejbp4 said:
Doesn't matter given we have zero chance to advance. It pisses me off that Mexico and Honduras will probably advance and we are better then both of them.

We will advance from the group. All starts with 3 points vs Ghana on Monday.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3k9b5uai said:

Neither of those teams will advance either. to be honest I'd say we have a better chance than the other two. (given we are a better team than both, although Honduras is a tricky bunch). Mexico will lose to Cameroon today, maybe draw, and then get taken behind the shed by Croatia and Brazil.

to the other's point, no, the ref did not "cheat"... he just made a bad decision (two if you count the foul on the keeper that seemed to be leading to a Croatia equalizer). its soccer, it happens, alot (as in every sport. difference being one goal in soccer is 33% of the scoring, as opposed to every other sport). FIFA need to replay penalty decisions, or continue to answer questions about the refs. Given the enormity of betting scandals that continue to manifest right around major tournaments its probably in the best interest of the game to start having goal line officials, replay and more technology.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Mexico have been screwed out of two goals so far. I don't think either team are up to much though, especially defensively.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ludakrishna":18vwc7zm said:
After Croatia, it's Mexico's turn today. NBA Refs > World Cup Refs

even is off. both good calls and tremendously difficult to make. (this was sarcasm by the way)

but yes, the refereeing in soccer needs an "upgrade"

Did anyone expect more from Cameroon? I was very disappointed. lots of wing play and crosses, little movement with the ball through the center.

well played by Mexico. overcame alot for their 3 points

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Another botched call leads to a PK. Great refs all around.

And then a gorgeous delivery and header for Holland.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3wppkatm said:

come on... we all thought it was legit on first look. they dont get replays.

Spanish defense making up for it though

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38swzbvn said:
Sarlacc83":38swzbvn said:

I guess that's fair, albeit in my defense I thought it was an overrun initially. Not a big deal any longer as Holland's making this a no doubter. At the time, I thought it might unduly influence the game, but the refs have gotten the game under control since.

This is some revenge.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1vriv15b said:
Uncle Si":1vriv15b said:
Sarlacc83":1vriv15b said:

I guess that's fair, albeit in my defense I thought it was an overrun initially. Not a big deal any longer as Holland's making this a no doubter. At the time, I thought it might unduly influence the game, but the refs have gotten the game under control since.

This is some revenge.

FIFA or UEFA need to implement something to deter the simulation, especially in the area. and this is coming from a Liverpool/Suarez/Sturridge fan.

I'd like to see them review tackles and handballs that are called pens. Costas looked legit until further reply, then you see he's just initiated contact and took to the floor.

its unfortunate, and it needs to be combatted. It wouldnt take long to wipe it out either. Review penalty calls. assess cards for players caught simulating, even after replay (as card accumulations lead to suspensions)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. In the PDX - Vancouver match, one of the White caps slapped himself in the face and our guy got the yellow. It was embarrassing.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
It's one game but this looks like the end of an era for Spain. Similar to France's fall from grace in 2002. They miss Puyol big time and are relying on players past their best- Casillas, Torres while leaving players like Negredo out.

Chile should give them a game, play real attacking football with only 3 defenders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":13m8ouyp said:
It's one game but this looks like the end of an era for Spain. Similar to France's fall from grace in 2002. They miss Puyol big time and are relying on players past their best- Casillas, Torres while leaving players like Negredo out.

Chile should give them again, play real attacking football with only 3 defenders.

Agreed...I had Chile topping the group (but admittedly did not see this Spanish decline or Dutch resurgence)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not too surprised that Netherlands knocked off Spain. Netherlands are a very good team. The score is surprising. I'm surprised that Greece got beat by Colombia 3-0. I thought Greece was much better than what they showed.