World Cup 2014

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Holy. Crap.

My belief has not been stronger than it is right now.

If the US can get out of the group. We can make a run.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
What a player Pirlo is. He's just a joy to watch.

England's front 4 looked good to start the game. Didn't like the subs. Barkley was a good sub, but Wilshere and Lallana didn't add enough...I'd even go as far to say that Wilshere had a negative impact on the game. Should have brought in Rickie Lambert towards the end...and whats with not bringing center backs up on corners?

Just odd form England. Not good enough. Ballack said it best, England aren't ready for these type of games. Not yet. Still too big for them.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Also...if Rooney ever manages to actually score in the world cup...everyone should be ready for the flood gates to open...I think if he gets one, he gets 3 or 4....

McG

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't look here earlier for World Cup/Soccer talk. I have been glued to the World Cup. So far every game but the Brazil game (which was an obvious puss-out by that ref that ruined the game) and Mexico game (which I loved the fact that Mexico was getting screwed) have been great games. Even those games were great to watch, but were obviously greatly effected by the refs. Spain getting destroyed was a real shock to me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has a "worried confidence" about the USMNT. On one hand I want to be confident and think we have a real chance. Had we not gotten drawn into the group of death I'd expect to get to the knockout stage, at the least. Now my expectations at this point are so low, it makes me feel like a horrible fan. The sad part is that I just don't want to get let down. We have a decent amount of talent and the team has played great since Jurgen coming in and taking over, I am just hoping that we can get 6 points and get out of the group, somehow. I hope the "we can't win this World Cup" talk from Jurgen pisses off the leaders of this team like Howard, Dempsey and Bradley. I hope that they band the whole team together and turn them into monsters. I hope we shock the world.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1zfqhs27 said:
Also...if Rooney ever manages to actually score in the world cup...everyone should be ready for the flood gates to open...I think if he gets one, he gets 3 or 4....

He was never close Smurf (well once)..although he had moments he lacks consistency. He was barely noticeable for large parts of the game, even while england looked dangerous.

Great ball though. I just think he's out of position out there. I don't think its Englands best formation in fairness. Rooney out wide takes him from the center of things, which I think he thrives on. I understand Sterling there as a 10. He was tremendous. Perhaps s diamond 442 (since hodgson using Liverpool players might as well use their system) with rooney and sturridge up top. Sterling underneath.

I dont know. They looked very good at times tonight. A different England team for sure

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
Unbelievable Ecuador. 20 seconds left in stoppage and they give the game away.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The French are looking really solid. They put a beatdown on Honduras and it probably would have been the same score had Honduras' player not been given a red card. Honduras was/is no match for France.

Nog

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ju61yhdi said:
The French are looking really solid. They put a beatdown on Honduras and it probably would have been the same score had Honduras' player not been given a red card. Honduras was/is no match for France.
Actually, since 2006, France didn't have that kinda cohesion into the squad. Overall, they all seem to enjoy to play together and play for this team which wasn't the case 2 years ago. Plus, some youngsters are taking over this team like Pogba, Griezmann and of course Benzema. If they pass the group stage, they def can be a challenger for any teams which would be opposed to them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":wmoavp8e said:
How you like that Mexico game now? And Coasta Rica? For insult. This sucks!!! USA is screwed.

I'm not sure what you're moaning about....What do the three teams have to do with each other? aside from geographically sharing a hemisphere? Isnt Canada the big loser in all this?

Mexico beat the worst team in their group. Brazil and Croatia will also beat Cameroon. Mexico still need to beat those two teams, which are better than them.

Why does Costa Rica beating Uruguay add insult to an American team that hasnt kicked a ball in anger yet?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":2305f8ju said:
hawkfan68":2305f8ju said:
Actually, since 2006, France didn't have that kinda cohesion into the squad. Overall, they all seem to enjoy to play together and play for this team which wasn't the case 2 years ago. Plus, some youngsters are taking over this team like Pogba, Griezmann and of course Benzema. If they pass the group stage, they def can be a challenger for any teams which would be opposed to them.

France is good, with a good, young nucleus. Pogba's going to be world class (in the Yaya toure mold) and Griezmann is going to be highly sought after by big clubs once this tournament is over. I dont see them as finalist contenders (yet). Honduras were bullies in qualifying. Theyre not a particularly strong side. But France will emerge at the top of the group, giving them a draw with the 2nd place finisher. Can see them in the Final 8, and they've got the sqaud to push past that. Are they experienced enough to see a semifinal game out though?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1nfb6f53 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1nfb6f53 said:
How you like that Mexico game now? And Coasta Rica? For insult. This sucks!!! USA is screwed.

I'm not sure what you're moaning about....What do the three teams have to do with each other? aside from geographically sharing a hemisphere? Isnt Canada the big loser in all this?

Mexico beat the worst team in their group. Brazil and Croatia will also beat Cameroon. Mexico still need to beat those two teams, which are better than them.

Why does Costa Rica beating Uruguay add insult to an American team that hasnt kicked a ball in anger yet?
I'm gonna guess that she was posting while drinking. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":3lathuj0 said:
What a deplorable move by a despicable player in Pepe. Hope Germany puts 8 on Portugal.

Don't know about despicable... But certainly stupid. Not sad he won't play Sunday for sure