Zags 2016/2017 Thread

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags blowing Tennessee out very early. This team is definitely built different. Defense is outstanding and the offense looks mighty potent too. Zags may just go undefeated this year. I doubt it but I don't see any more than two losses.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Zags beat St. Marys by 23. Are they for real? I don't know. But they are a very balanced team for sure.

Crizilla

Reaction score
a Zags final four this year would really be nice considering how UW and Seahawks ended their seasons, and how Romar continues to not be a good basketball coach. If the Zags lose by another choke job in the tourney I just might develop cancer.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I was impressed by the Gaels last night. They are a good team that I think wins a game or two in the tourney. The Zags are really good and I do believe this is their best team they have ever assembled. The defense is far and a way better than most other years and the offense is incredible.
I wonder were they end up ranked after this week. If they are able to win out or even have one to two losses they very well could secure a 1 seed this year. Pretty early but I like their chances.

CPHawk

Reaction score
To bad UO and the Zags couldn't play right now, it would be a hell of a game.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags are a good team, but it will be the same old song and dance for them. They will get rewarded with a high seed, make it to the second weekend, but once they play a really good battle tested team like a Kentucky or North Carolina, they will lose. Zags get no help from playing garbage teams for 3 months straight and then having to play the big boys.

But this is one of the more interesting Zag teams. Few did a great job of piecing this team together. Three of the five starters are transfers (NWG, Mathews and Williams).

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Just read that the Zags in kenpoms adjusted rankings are currently 7th in the nation on offense but 6th in the nation on defense. Very balanced and good team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3dg47twv said:
Zags are a good team, but it will be the same old song and dance for them. They will get rewarded with a high seed, make it to the second weekend, but once they play a really good battle tested team like a Kentucky or North Carolina, they will lose. Zags get no help from playing garbage teams for 3 months straight and then having to play the big boys.

But this is one of the more interesting Zag teams. Few did a great job of piecing this team together. Three of the five starters are transfers (NWG, Mathews and Williams).

I'm not sure Zaga beats a Kentucky or Villanova or UCLA, etc even by playing in a more battle tested conference - but they are a very good team this year. And probably one of the most balanced teams in the nation.

I could see this team being the first Zaga team to crack the Final 4.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
#1 in KenPom.

The thing I really like about this team is it's an 8 man rotation with no weakness. All 8 guys can score and all 8 play defense. This is a team built to win in March and it's going to be a lot of fun to see what happens.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
This is a very good Zags team, like someone said above, the best team that Few has put together. Very strong to make a deep run in the tourney, but the tourney comes down to matchups. These guys are your but the young guys are getting a lot of experience. Excited to see where this team goes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":1kzrpvd3 said:
This is a very good Zags team, like someone said above, the best team that Few has put together. Very strong to make a deep run in the tourney, but the tourney comes down to matchups. These guys are your but the young guys are getting a lot of experience. Excited to see where this team goes.

Disagree. I think their best team was from two years ago when they lost to Duke, who ended up winning the whole thing. That team was so stacked that Sabonis came off the bench as a freshman. While I think this years team might be their best defensive team, I don't think it's their best overall team. Give me the team from two years ago with Pangos, Bell, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski over this team.

As much as I like this team, I don't like them to make a deep run like a lot of other people expect. They don't have the dominating guard play that can take you far in March. NWG, Mathews, and Perkins are nice, but they aren't the type of guys who can carry a team on their back in the tourney. Nearly every recent national champion has had a dominant guard.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3ut2z0e5 said:
Diezel Dawg":3ut2z0e5 said:

Disagree. I think their best team was from two years ago when they lost to Duke, who ended up winning the whole thing. That team was so stacked that Sabonis came off the bench as a freshman. While I think this years team might be their best defensive team, I don't think it's their best overall team. Give me the team from two years ago with Pangos, Bell, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski over this team.

As much as I like this team, I don't like them to make a deep run like a lot of other people expect. They don't have the dominating guard play that can take you far in March. NWG, Mathews, and Perkins are nice, but they aren't the type of guys who can carry a team on their back in the tourney. Nearly every recent national champion has had a dominant guard.

If January is any indication of March, a lot of top seeds better look out. Upsets galore so far.

I should know, I bet college basketball and have been getting my ass kicked. :lol:

peppersjap

Reaction score
I thought this would be an off year for Gonzaga but they are really good. They are so balanced and I do think this the team that might be able to make a run at the final four. Whether you hate Mark Few or not he is one hell of a recruiter!!!

Crizilla

Reaction score
UW would be so so lucky to have Few instead of Romar. I hope Few never leaves.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Few will never leave Gonzaga for UW. Washington isn't a basketball school. This isn't Coach Pete leaving Boise St for UW. UW is a football school. If Few leaves Gonzaga (which I doubt he ever will), it will be to coach a big name school like a UCLA or Arizona.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Here is a good article with a lot of stats and comments from coaches regarding the Zags and whether they are legit contenders for the final four.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692 ... contenders

I have been following the Zags for over 20 years and I can say with complete confidence this is the best team Few has had. Doesn't guarantee a final four but betting against them wouldn't be a wise move.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Great article.

I agree with certain parts, disagree with others. This is definitely one of the Zags best team. Most likely their most "complete team." I've stated before that I prefer their team from two years ago over this team. But in the end, it isn't really about how good you are, it is about the path to the final four. I mean look at the Falcons in the NFL, all they had to do was win two home games against a reeling Seahawks team and a Packers team that had a lot of key guys on IR. If the Zags can draw a favorable path, I like their chances.

I do completely disagree that they could have four potential NBA players. Zach Collins is the only NBA talent on that team. Other guys will get looks in the summer league, but guys like NWG aren't playing in the NBA.

I watch a ton of college basketball. It's my favorite sport. I've seen nearly every top 25 team multiple times. The Zags are as good as any team. They might be the most complete team in the nation. That doesn't mean they're the best, but they are very well rounded. On a neutral court, I can probably only name a few times I'd give a slight edge to. UNC is really good and balanced. While I like Kansas and Nova, they both lack bigs and depth in the frontcourt. If Duke can figure it out, they are easily one of the most talented teams. The most talented team IMO is Florida St, but they remind me so much of UW during their glory days. You know the coach (Leonard Hamilton) will fail them when the big game comes around, similar to Romar.

Toughest game of the conference schedule this weekend for the Zags at St Mary's. Curious to see what the line will be, I'd guess the Zags will be a short favorite of 1 or 2 points.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think NWG will get a shot at the NBA but probably not drafted. A typical high level guard who does everything well but not one thing that stands out. Not really a great distributor so hard to see him as an NBA 1.

Collins will be a #1 but probably needs one more year.

Killian Tillie has had an uneven freshmen year but I could see him developing into an NBA talent.

Karnowski is tough call. He's a big dude with low post skills but he'll have a tough time running up and down the floor at the next level. He's probably a better fit for Europe, although he should get a shot in summer league.

A couple of freshmen who haven't played this year both have athleticism and talent -- Hachimura and Norvell. They'll both be in the rotation next year and could enter the discussion.

Will be a great game tonight!

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Another good win for the Zags. If they win out they deserve the top seed hands down. Every advanced metric has the Zags number one. Ken pom has an adjusted effeciency rating system he uses and the Zags are the highest rated team since he started 13 years ago except for Kentucky in 2015.
The Zags are well above the field this year when it comes to record and anything less than the top spot is nothing more than the big boys protecting their own.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":1p2ciker said:
UW would be so so lucky to have Few instead of Romar. I hope Few never leaves.

IMO if Few was ever going to leave, he would have taken the UO job when it was offered to him. He's from the Eugene area, and has tons of ties to Oregon, he's a graduate of UO (which is why I think he's never set up a series with the ducks.). I think he's a lifer for the zags. And if he left, I'd doubt it would be to go to UW given his background.