Zags 2016/2017 Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Very impressive win last night. Zags are for real. Pressure will be on them to win in the NCAA tournament. Looks like Zags will go undefeated in the regular season.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Yeah zags. Next to the Seahawks, this is my team. I remember in 99, I was in high school. We were allowed to get out of class and got to go to the auditorium and watch zag games. I had already been a fan for years, so I was in heaven. They got the elite eight that year, and the legend was born. I don't know if they will win it all, but I am proud of these young guys. They will be listed as Natl champs in my bracket this year. I bet uw fans hate losing nwg now.

Man, I hope they can do it. Make spokane the center of the college bball universe for the year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good year for west coast basketball. Gonzagas, Arizona, ucla and Oregon all in the top 7 in the latest AP poll.

As for Gonzaga, I expect them to be out after the sweet 16, just like always.

billyberu

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1s75hfgb said:
Good year for west coast basketball. Gonzagas, Arizona, ucla and Oregon all in the top 7 in the latest AP poll.

Wanna wager your dignity on it?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I agree with JS that it is nice to see the west coast doing well in college hoops. It's been a long time since a west coast team has made the final four, I think the last one was that UCLA team that had Westbrook and Kevin Love.

What people don't realize about march madness that it really comes down to the path you get to the final four. Just because Oregon may make it further in the tournament than Gonzaga doesn't mean Oregon is better than Gonzaga. A lot of it has to do with how the chips fall. Sometimes you get a great path, other times you get screwed. Remember when Wichita got the #1 seed a couple years ago but had to play the 8/9 seed Kentucky Wildcats who were loaded with talent? I will say this, it wouldn't surprise me if the committee screws the Zags just like they did Wichita the year they were a 1 seed.

Oregon and Gonzaga are very similar teams IMO. Both are very well balanced. Both are very deep.

UCLA is the wildcard. I could see them going to the final four or exiting early. They have the most talent of all the west coast teams, but play the worst defense and have the worst coach.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
billyberu":2lvu32sz said:
JSeahawks":2lvu32sz said:

Wanna wager your dignity on it?

I have no dignity to wager my man.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Scored seats to the regular season finale vs. BYU. I've been working sources like crazy but it's been a tough ticket! Happy to get a chance to see this team in person, they are fun to watch.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Bad game for Gonzaga, terrible from the free throw line. Out hustled by BYU. BYU hit every timely shot. Gonzaga didn't block out numerous times. Terrible turnovers.

Few drives me nuts sometimes. He never played any zone in the game and didn't show any pressure at all.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Three years in a row we lose to the Cougars at home. Oh well, we are still a one seed out west barring another loss in the tourney. Still an incredible season. If we had simply made some free throws it isn't even a game but it happens.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2aho2ri1 said:
Three years in a row we lose to the Cougars at home. Oh well, we are still a one seed out west barring another loss in the tourney. Still an incredible season. If we had simply made some free throws it isn't even a game but it happens.

Wouldnt be so sure about that. I bet whoever wins the pac 12 tourney is #1 seed out west now. UCLA, Arizona and Oregon all have better resumes.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":10z43jl6 said:
Natethegreat":10z43jl6 said:

Wouldnt be so sure about that. I bet whoever wins the pac 12 tourney is #1 seed out west now. UCLA, Arizona and Oregon all have better resumes.
Wasn't it your team that needed a choke job by a terrible team to win today? Also Oregon does not have a better resume.
Nor do Arizona or UCLA for that matter.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Natethegreat":37855wee said:
JSeahawks":37855wee said:
Natethegreat":37855wee said:

Wasn't it your team that needed a choke job by a terrible team to win today? Also Oregon does not have a better resume.

Oregon and Arizona were already ahead of Gonzaga in RPI (the official college basketball resume rankings) even before they lost today.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball ... etball-rpi

Crizilla

Reaction score
seeding doesnt matter who cares, going undefeated is too rare one of the hardest things to do in college basketball is to run the table all the way through march madness. Look Wichita State few years ago....35-0 and lose in 2nd round. Zags have a good team whatever seed they are this team still has final four expectations more than ever

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1hek9q2y said:
Natethegreat":1hek9q2y said:
JSeahawks":1hek9q2y said:
Natethegreat":1hek9q2y said:

Oregon and Arizona were already ahead of Gonzaga in RPI even before they lost today.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball ... etball-rpi
And yet their resume still isn't better than the zags. If the committe ranked the teams simply on their RPI ranking their would be no need to have a committee at all(and the only reason they are ahead is simply because of the massive amount of weight the RPI gives for strength of schedule).
Most brackets have UCLA as a 3 or 4 and Arizona as a 2 or 3 seed that might be flipped after UCLA's win today but regardless they don't have better resumes.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Having a 1 vs. 2 seed isn't a big deal -- should still have a solid path to sweet 16 and from there it's all about matchups and luck.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah Zag fans shouldn't be too worried about the loss. In the end, it's probably a good thing for them. Less pressure, and I'm a believer that you need a loss to keep focus.

Most likely Zags drop to a #2 seed. When the seedings first came out a week or two ago, the Zags weren't the top #1 seed, meaning if they lost a game they'd likely fall to a #2 seed.

Assuming nothing crazy happens in the conference tourneys, Villanova, UNC and Kansas should all be #1 seeds. I think the last spot likely goes to the winner of the Pac-12 tournament assuming either Arizona, Oregon or UCLA win it.

As far as resume's go, I'd probably put all three of those Pac-12 schools ahead of Gonzaga. They are all very close.

Like someone else mentioned. The tourney is all about matchups and luck.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3iv14vtf said:
Yeah Zag fans shouldn't be too worried about the loss. In the end, it's probably a good thing for them. Less pressure, and I'm a believer that you need a loss to keep focus.

Most likely Zags drop to a #2 seed. When the seedings first came out a week or two ago, the Zags weren't the top #1 seed, meaning if they lost a game they'd likely fall to a #2 seed.

Assuming nothing crazy happens in the conference tourneys, Villanova, UNC and Kansas should all be #1 seeds. I think the last spot likely goes to the winner of the Pac-12 tournament assuming either Arizona, Oregon or UCLA win it.

As far as resume's go, I'd probably put all three of those Pac-12 schools ahead of Gonzaga. They are all very close.

Like someone else mentioned. The tourney is all about matchups and luck.
I agree that a 1 or 2 seed isn't much of a difference as long as its still in the West bracket. It is ridiculous to say that UCLA or Arizonas' resumes are even as good as Gonzagas' let alone better. Oregon I suppose an anrgument could be made but I wouldn't agree with it.
Of the three teams I think only Oregon has a chance to jump the Zags and as long as the Zags win their tournament I doubt that Oregon does.

Here are ther resumes so far.

Oregon: RPI (1-50) (51-100 )(101-150) (150+)
( 4-2) (11-1) ( 3-1) (7-0)

Arizona (4-4) (8-0) (5-0) (9-0)

Ucla (5-3) (6-0) (3-0) (12-0)

Gonzaga (5-0) (5-1) (6-0) (13-0)

No Pac 12 team has more top 50 wins than the Zags but all have more losses and while Oregon has more top 100 wins their worst loss is much worse than the zags and they have three top 100 losses to go along with their sub 100 loss.

In short you have to have your Pac 12 glasses on to claim they have better resumes or even equal. Joe Lunardi has the Zags as a 1 as does CBS as well.