Jordyn Brooks

seabowl

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone saw him on the field extensively as I saw him make 1 tackle?

Rat

Reaction score
Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":1j2alo0c said:
Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.

Not sure Clyde is that good a tackler. So I'm pretty sure Brooks will end his career with far more tackles than Clyde. So in that I can say you are wrong right now.

We have a stable of young backs. Wagner and Wright are getting old in the tooth so getting their replacements is higher on the priority list.

There will most surely be a good back available in every draft if the team decides to re-stock. This wasn't the draft to get RB help early. It was a draft to get DE/LB help.

HawkerD

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2bmgslop said:
One game...…….breathe in :irishdrinkers:
Need I remind you:
LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Gremaine Ifedi
Frank Clark
Paul Richardson
Christin Michael

This team has been ultra TERRIBLE on first Picks

sc85sis

Reaction score
HawkerD":1pex0ij5 said:
SoulfishHawk":1pex0ij5 said:
Need I remind you:
LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Gremaine Ifedi
Frank Clark
Paul Richardson
Christin Michael

Clark, Richardson and Michael were all drafted in the second round.

Rat

Reaction score
sc85sis":1yj0dy57 said:
HawkerD":1yj0dy57 said:
SoulfishHawk":1yj0dy57 said:
Need I remind you:
LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Gremaine Ifedi
Frank Clark
Paul Richardson
Christin Michael

Yes, but those were our first picks in those drafts. We really havn't hit on one since Okung. Some might argue for Irvin as well; I wouldn't though.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3rmrv3q3 said:
Rat":3rmrv3q3 said:

Not sure Clyde is that good a tackler. So I'm pretty sure Brooks will end his career with far more tackles than Clyde. So in that I can say you are wrong right now.

We have a stable of young backs. Wagner and Wright are getting old in the tooth so getting their replacements is higher on the priority list.

There will most surely be a good back available in every draft if the team decides to re-stock. This wasn't the draft to get RB help early. It was a draft to get DE/LB help.

I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

Hyde is the veteran, and Carson has lots of wear and tear already -- both will likely be gone after this season. Penny is on the PUp and out for the first 6 games, and he has all kinds of question marks. Homer is a good special teamer and maybe an occasional 3rd down guy, but certainly not a feature back. I was excited to see Dallas after all the hype, then he was inactive.

I think RB is very much a position of concern going forward. If there is anything that 2019 taught us, it's that you can't have too many good RBs. We had to bring back Marshawn Lynch just to get by.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Rat":2yd8hp0e said:
sc85sis":2yd8hp0e said:
HawkerD":2yd8hp0e said:
SoulfishHawk":2yd8hp0e said:
Need I remind you:
LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Gremaine Ifedi
Frank Clark
Paul Richardson
Christin Michael

Yes, but those were our first picks in those drafts. We really havn't hit on one since Okung. Some might argue for Irvin as well; I wouldn't though.

Sorry but Frank Clark was a very good pick.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
seabowl":2g30cjx3 said:
Rat":2g30cjx3 said:
sc85sis":2g30cjx3 said:
HawkerD":2g30cjx3 said:
Need I remind you:
LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Gremaine Ifedi
Frank Clark
Paul Richardson
Christin Michael

This!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1bi7qsd4 said:
seabowl":1bi7qsd4 said:
Rat":1bi7qsd4 said:
sc85sis":1bi7qsd4 said:

This!

and yet he's gone.. but yeah, our 1st's aside from Clark has been dismal... might as well trade them away.

Rat

Reaction score
seabowl":3is021zy said:
Rat":3is021zy said:
sc85sis":3is021zy said:
HawkerD":3is021zy said:
Need I remind you:
LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Gremaine Ifedi
Frank Clark
Paul Richardson
Christin Michael

Yeah, that's right. I was in the middle of writing a 4600 word power rankings article about the upcoming U.S. Open and my brain didn't comprehend Clark on the list. That was good; wish we still had him, despite the excellent haul on the trade.

Well, we havn't hit on a first rounder since the Okung-Earl draft anyway.

Osprey

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":288mpvlp said:
I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

Hyde is the veteran, and Carson has lots of wear and tear already -- both will likely be gone after this season. Penny is on the PUp and out for the first 6 games, and he has all kinds of question marks. Homer is a good special teamer and maybe an occasional 3rd down guy, but certainly not a feature back. I was excited to see Dallas after all the hype, then he was inactive.

I think RB is very much a position of concern going forward. If there is anything that 2019 taught us, it's that you can't have too many good RBs. We had to bring back Marshawn Lynch just to get by.
That’s a problem for next year, not a reason to have spent draft capital this year.

RB is as plug and play as it gets in today’s NFL. If Penny doesn’t come back strong and Dallas doesn’t show promise, draft in 21 and sign another reasonably priced vet.

Rat

Reaction score
Osprey":37r7ru9d said:
FlyingGreg":37r7ru9d said:

That’s a problem for next year, not a reason to have spent draft capital this year.

RB is as plug and play as it gets in today’s NFL. If Penny doesn’t come back strong and Dallas doesn’t show promise, draft in 21 and sign another reasonably priced vet.

Generally, I'm not a fan of round 1 RBs, but I thought CEH was special. It's frustrating when you pound the table for someone, and they get passed on and look like a star for another team.

Oh well, if they listened to me more, we'd have so many 7-9 seasons, people would think we were coached by Jeff Fisher.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Osprey":1eymc917 said:
FlyingGreg":1eymc917 said:

And they drafted Brooks, so there is nothing we can do about it now. Can't undo it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Some around here go on about "first round picks" as if we've been drafting a lot of them in the top 10 or something or even the first round. If you consider draft position our results have been fine. Not exceptional, but way better than people here complain about.

#6 overall - Russell Okung. Very good selection, slightly marred by the falling out in relationship caused by Okung deciding to be his own agent. Could have been handled better by the FO with the benefit of hindsight but a good draft pick.

#25 overall - James Carpenter. Successful pick with a 39 CarAV, but it looks like the Hawks may have made a mistake trying to make him work at RT (potentially like Ifedi below).

#15 overall - Bruce Irvin. Successful pick with a 40 CarAV but expensive draft capital.

#62 overall - Christine Michael. We all saw his potential; he just couldn't stay healthy enough or get out of the doghouse long enough to contribute. Minor disappointment but reasonable for the range; of the 10 players drafted before him only two were successful (Eddie Lacy, Rob Alford).

#45 overall - Paul Richardson. Could have been better if not for the injuries but about average. He's had a better or similar career to 16 of his fellow second rounders from 2014, and a worse career than 16 of them.

#63 overall - Frank Clark. Clark started slow but has had a great career for his draft selection so far. The guy drafted six spots after him has had a better career, but that's Tyler Lockett and hardly an argument against our drafting capabilities.

#31 overall - Germain Ifedi. Definitely a disappointment given how much effort we put into making him work here, but he has a higher draft average value than all but 8 players from the first round of 2016. Fan favorites ahead of him (Robert Nkemdiche, Josh Garnett, Vernon Butler) have been bigger busts, and Ifedi is now starting at guard in Chicago. Depending on how he does there, the takeaway could be about our usage of him at RT rather than shifting him inside ourselves.

#35 overall - Malik McDowell. The only real bust on this list. I know some here have a problem keeping perspective about it, but minor character issues in college are simply not a strong predictor of having a career ending injury before playing an NFL snap. We've had success bringing in characters before (Lynch, Clark). Bad things happen sometimes and it's an error to try to assign blame to what is just randomness.

It's too early to conclude how Penny, Collier or Brooks will turn out. Naturally if they are busts then it will make our drafting look worse, but jumping to that conclusion right now is premature.