Oh Oh Titans Vikings face COVID

Mad Dog

Reaction score
So Titans are dealing with a Covid outbreak and they played the Vikings on Sunday, meaning Vikings are all on watch for cases. If positives do show up in Vikings players and staff, what does that mean for our game in two weeks?

Have to admit the NFL has been pretty nebulous about how they'd deal with outbreaks. It's not like baseball where you can just hold a double header later in the season.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Things can change a lot in 14 days. I'm focused on beating Miami.

OP
OP
M

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1v8barer said:

True, but I'm wondering about worst case scenario that Vikings have infected players. Does anyone know what the NFL's protocols are?

And since I'm not actually playing against Miami, I am certainly capable of dividing my attention a little and worry about something a mere 14 days away. I'll let the actual players and coaches laser lock into their next opponent.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1qvuoasf said:
Jazzhawk":1qvuoasf said:

True, but I'm wondering about worst case scenario that Vikings have infected players. Does anyone know what the NFL's protocols are?

And since I'm not actually playing against Miami, I am certainly capable of dividing my attention a little and worry about something a mere 14 days away. I'll let the actual players and coaches laser lock into their next opponent.

They will test the vikings players multiple times, isolate any positive tests.

My understanding is that positives are treated essentially like injuries.

However, no idea if its extensive number of players.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would be more worried about Miami and the Governor dropping Covid restrictions in bars Restaurants and other major gathering places before we show up and going into a petri dish down there.

Hotels and Lounges would be a part of that restriction drop.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
8 people is a lot (3 players, 5 staff), so my guess is they're going to postpone this weeks game.

Surprised it took this long for this to happen honestly, especially now with the majority of southern states pretty much wide open.

- move around bye weeks to coincide to play the game?
- keep pushing the season out?

Probably isn't going to be the only time this happens, so I hope the league has a plan for how to deal with more of this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":38abhfkf said:
I would be more worried about Miami and the Governor dropping Covid restrictions in bars Restaurants and other major gathering places before we show up and going into a petri dish down there.

They test the players before games and sequester..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gnlcej7 said:
8 people is a lot (3 players, 5 staff), so my guess is they're going to postpone this weeks game.

Surprised it took this long for this to happen honestly, especially now with the majority of southern states pretty much wide open.

Probably isn't going to be the only time this happens, so I hope the league has a plan for how to deal with more of this.

They won't postpone for 3 players.

9ers lost double that to real injury week before..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2nx95xic said:
Sgt. Largent":2nx95xic said:

Can't compare it to injuries, and depends on who those players are. You don't think the Titans will be begging for a reschedule if a couple of those players are someone like Henry or Tannehill?

My point is you'd think the league would have told the teams before the season what would happen if players or coaches tested positive. As in, tough we're playing as long as you have enough players to start, or it has to be <this> many players before we cancel games, etc.

Going to be a mess if they didn't.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":18dfg421 said:
chris98251":18dfg421 said:

There is a incubation period you know, they tested Titans and Vikings I assume before their game also and yet somehow there was an infection. We go East early to acclimate a bit before a game also. So that's two or three days total in a Hotel with little bugs and people running all over because of a stupid Governor.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Tier 1 players/staff get tested daily before contact. They have their own labs and special access to them. They have their own Abbott quick-strip machines just like the wh. The titans still had eight positives total and by then they'd already played the Vikes.

As to false positives, the league has been there before and they didn't step in for two teams and say quit practicing until further notice. For that reason, i suspect these tests are more likely to be true positives.

There's no question the Texans have a competitive advantage against a team that's stopped by the league from even practicing. I do expect that the present issue will be resolved before we see them.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1xde37u7 said:
Tier 1 players/staff get tested daily before contact. They have their own labs and special access to them. They have their own Abbott quick-strip machines just like the wh. The titans still had eight positives total and by then they'd already played the Vikes.

As to false positives, the league has been there before and they didn't step in for two teams and say quit practicing until further notice. For that reason, i suspect these tests are more likely to be true positives.

There's no question the Texans have a competitive advantage against a team that's stopped by the league from even practicing. I do expect that the present issue will be resolved before we see them.

Thanks Dr. Adams

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hrtopqhd said:
Uncle Si":hrtopqhd said:
Sgt. Largent":hrtopqhd said:

Can't compare it to injuries, and depends on who those players are. You don't think the Titans will be begging for a reschedule if a couple of those players are someone like Henry or Tannehill?

My point is you'd think the league would have told the teams before the season what would happen if players or coaches tested positive. As in, tough we're playing as long as you have enough players to start, or it has to be <this> many players before we cancel games, etc.

Going to be a mess if they didn't.

I'm certain there is a number. Its probably based on whats safe.

And yiu can compare it to.injuries. they literally place the players on IR and built a larger practice squad to support.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":poetosj8 said:
Uncle Si":poetosj8 said:
chris98251":poetosj8 said:

There is a incubation period you know, they tested Titans and Vikings I assume before their game also and yet somehow there was an infection. We go East early to acclimate a bit before a game also. So that's two or three days total in a Hotel with little bugs and people running all over because of a stupid Governor.

Certainly aware of the incubation period, as is the NFL and every other league going on.

You can't expect 0 every week. And there is always mitigated risk involved. Its a global pandemic of course.

Premier league soccer has a team with a head coach and two players out with covid.

Game pressed on.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":pjgy8i00 said:
SantaClaraHawk":pjgy8i00 said:

Thanks Dr. Adams

I don't quite get the reference, but ok.

The league and the clubs' goal is to get the teams out there, but obviously somethng has happened here to make them treat this as just not another "false positive" cluster. If they suspected that's all it was, they would be handling it as they did the previous false-pos clusters no?

Even if it is, you don't see how that hands the other team not under restrictions a competitive advantage?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Will be interesting for sure. MLB shut teams down, even though they had a "taxi" squad in place.

I really don't think the NFL will postpone unless completely necessary. They've pushed through with everything so far.

Minnesota - has been all sent home, they'll test. I assume if no positives by Friday they play. If one or two positives, they play, if like 10+ positives they postpone? Completely arbitrary numbers of course.

Tennessee - If no other positives show up, they play - if any more positives show up they probably are going to be forced to postpone. Don't want to infect whoever they play next.

I imagine the league has contingencies, like playing on a bye, or rearranging a common game, or extending the season.

This wont be the only time this happens.

MLB had what 3 teams deal with it? Miami and STL wide spread outbreaks, Oakland to a smaller extent.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1d5t4m6f said:
Quar. those who are positive and let the rest roll.

That would really suck if it was the QB room that got the infection.