Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's hire Quinn as a consultant

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:What do we have to lose?

    https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/10/12/2 ... n-bye-week

    This would be the best move for everybody. Norton is pure garbage, and I've said this a thousand times over, we will not win a SB or advance deep in the playoffs with this current D. They need to bring Quinn in and soon. What do we have to lose?, Ive said the same thing. I dont care what pete does or does not do, he needs to bring Quinn in. If they are serious about winning a SB again they need to fix that D.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm
    Location: Seattle, Washington


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 am
  • It would absolutely, positively be one of the best things that happens in 2020 if so, IMHO. KNJr. just seems to have bitten off more than he can chew. I love the guy, but his defense needs a bumper to bumper tune up...if we are to have any REAL postseason aspirations.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3256
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:17 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:30 am
  • I would take Quinn if he would encourage Pete and Ken to just line up AT the los and to bump/jam the receivers and make them earn the yardage instead of giving up free yards.

    That right there would be an improvement over what we have going on.
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1183
    Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 am


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:00 am
  • Quinn is getting paid handsomely to stay at home. Why would he take a pay cut to actually work? Not going to happen.
    HagFaithful
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 192
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 am


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 am
  • HagFaithful wrote:Quinn is getting paid handsomely to stay at home. Why would he take a pay cut to actually work? Not going to happen.


    To WIN. And to see what it's like again under a winning organization and staff.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1550
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:18 am
  • What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 17583
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:31 am
  • Quinn is a quality Defensive coach and yet Atlanta had one of the very worst Ds in the NFL. Just a reminder that there a few magic bullets available for the NFL.

    That said it has been observed by others that something is seriously wrong with the scheme and short passes are seemingly always open, no matter what down it is. Norton looks to be without answers and despite the obvious defensive failings the team is squeaking out Ws so the motivation to change seems absent.

    Fade has observed there is scheme deficiency and change will need will need to happen before there is any significant improvement of the pass D. As far as the run D the left side of Minnies OLine was eating our Ds lunch most of the game without adjustment that succeeded.

    I think Norton needs help, and while I disagree with many of the most vocal detractors he seems unable to effect changes in his scheme that are effective. Adding Quinn to the staff even as a consultant couldn't hurt but might be unlikely at this point.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7249
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:33 am
  • Fire Norton, hire Quinn.
    ballard1951
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 102
    Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:48 am
    Location: Tromsø, Norway


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:41 am
  • Is Quinn really the answer? I think we all have fond memories of him as our D-Coordinator and winning the Super Bowl, but as many have stated that the Falcons have had one of the worst D's this season and in fact 5 of his 6 seasons only once did he rank in the Top Ten of defenses. When Quinn was here he had the luxury of the LOB as well as a bunch of other talented that accumulated and was able to be held together for a few number of seasons before those players eventually drifted apart due to various reasons.

    Is Dan Quinn really the guru that we all think he is or remember him to be or was he just at the right place, right time, scored a HC job and now seen for what he is? A Mediocre coach?
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1131
    Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 am
    Location: Bremerton, WA


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:44 am
  • The DL and LB’s seem to be playing well, I would much rather see Richard come back as our DB coach and keep things rolling along.
    PNW
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 139
    Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:26 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:45 am
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:Is Quinn really the answer? I think we all have fond memories of him as our D-Coordinator and winning the Super Bowl, but as many have stated that the Falcons have had one of the worst D's this season and in fact 5 of his 6 seasons only once did he rank in the Top Ten of defenses. When Quinn was here he had the luxury of the LOB as well as a bunch of other talented that accumulated and was able to be held together for a few number of seasons before those players eventually drifted apart due to various reasons.

    Is Dan Quinn really the guru that we all think he is or remember him to be or was he just at the right place, right time, scored a HC job and now seen for what he is? A Mediocre coach?

    Completely agree! Very valid points that are ignored by the hire DQ crowd
    PNW
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 139
    Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:26 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:10 am
  • The defensive scheme is, and always has been, Pete's. Quinn as a "consultant" isn't going to somehow find all the faults that are happening right now and be able to fix them.

    Speaking to Quinn specifically, you're going to need to pay enough to make it worth his while. Hes been making head coaching money for a while now and the college game is always a possibility.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 5869
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:20 am
  • If you did, might as well hire him and fire Norton. Hiring him as consultant would only undermine what Norton is trying to do.. basically and No-Confidence vote by Pete.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2879
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:42 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:The defensive scheme is, and always has been, Pete's. Quinn as a "consultant" isn't going to somehow find all the faults that are happening right now and be able to fix them.


    ^^^ This. Pete is effectively the DC. Getting Jamal Adams healthy is the best tonic we could get right now.
    Tusc2000
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 457
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 am


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:40 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?


    Great way to rebuild your resume after a failed HC tenure.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7207
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:53 pm
  • HagFaithful wrote:Quinn is getting paid handsomely to stay at home. Why would he take a pay cut to actually work? Not going to happen.


    Taking a consulting job in no way impacts the Falcon's contractual obligations to Quinn. He would not be taking a pay cut but making money in addition to what he is getting for the remainder of his contract.

    It would be the perfect way to reestablish his football credentials/expertise without actually having to take responsibility for any failures in an already low performing unit.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7207
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:07 pm
  • The two most common arguments against Quinn are that as a defensive mind, he failed in Atlanta, and he had a buttload of talent here in '13-'14 that he wouldn't have now.

    Yes, his defenses sucked in Atlanta, but he was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. Guess who else is a good defensive minded head coach with a terrible defense? Our very own Pete Carroll. There have been plenty of defensive coordinators promoted to head coach, failed at the head coaching job, and went back to being good/great coordinators. Quinn is certainly still capable of that.

    The argument that we had a lot more talent in the LOB days is mostly valid, but ignores the talent we have now. Our back seven is loaded (on paper). Before the season started, most people reasonably thought we'd have a very good secondary. The talent is certainly there, but the sum of the parts seems to be much greater than the whole. That's a coaching issue, and I think Quinn can fix it. Personnel-wise, this defense should be similar to the 2012 defense, which led the league in fewest points allowed: stout defensive line that can't generate a lot of pressure, good linebackers, and an excellent secondary. That's a reasonable goal based on the talent of this defense.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1559
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 pm
    Location: San Antonio, TX


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:04 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?


    Great way to rebuild your resume after a failed HC tenure.


    Plenty of Ex-Head Coaches get another shot at the HC without taking a lesser position. Failing that there is always college or Coordinator positions.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 5869
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?


    Great way to rebuild your resume after a failed HC tenure.


    Plenty of Ex-Head Coaches get another shot at the HC without taking a lesser position. Failing that there is always college or Coordinator positions.


    i'm talking about right now, not as a career choice. We are in the midst of what could be a very good run and if he could just come in and work together with the rest of the coaching staff as just another good football mind it might help. People are misconstruing my remarks, I am not suggesting that he come in and take over. Think "consultant."
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7207
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:56 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?


    Great way to rebuild your resume after a failed HC tenure.


    Plenty of Ex-Head Coaches get another shot at the HC without taking a lesser position. Failing that there is always college or Coordinator positions.


    i'm talking about right now, not as a career choice. We are in the midst of what could be a very good run and if he could just come in and work together with the rest of the coaching staff as just another good football mind it might help. People are misconstruing my remarks, I am not suggesting that he come in and take over. Think "consultant."


    His hallmark was a D line guru, the stunts and schemes we used under him were aggressive also, guess where we could use some help.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33389
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:54 pm
  • Erebus wrote:The two most common arguments against Quinn are that as a defensive mind, he failed in Atlanta, and he had a buttload of talent here in '13-'14 that he wouldn't have now.

    Yes, his defenses sucked in Atlanta, but he was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. Guess who else is a good defensive minded head coach with a terrible defense? Our very own Pete Carroll. There have been plenty of defensive coordinators promoted to head coach, failed at the head coaching job, and went back to being good/great coordinators. Quinn is certainly still capable of that.

    The argument that we had a lot more talent in the LOB days is mostly valid, but ignores the talent we have now. Our back seven is loaded (on paper). Before the season started, most people reasonably thought we'd have a very good secondary. The talent is certainly there, but the sum of the parts seems to be much greater than the whole. That's a coaching issue, and I think Quinn can fix it. Personnel-wise, this defense should be similar to the 2012 defense, which led the league in fewest points allowed: stout defensive line that can't generate a lot of pressure, good linebackers, and an excellent secondary. That's a reasonable goal based on the talent of this defense.


    Perfectly said!
    TraderGary
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:08 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:11 pm
  • Erebus wrote:The two most common arguments against Quinn are that as a defensive mind, he failed in Atlanta, and he had a buttload of talent here in '13-'14 that he wouldn't have now.

    Yes, (Quinn's) defenses sucked in Atlanta, but he was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. Guess who else is a good defensive minded head coach with a terrible defense? Our very own Pete Carroll. There have been plenty of defensive coordinators promoted to head coach, failed at the head coaching job, and went back to being good/great coordinators. Quinn is certainly still capable of that.
    -snip-


    What a great point! We know Pete is a defensive mastermind, and yet "his" defense is hot garbage this year. And yeah, there have been a bunch of DC's promoted to HC and fail and then (either move on altogether or) come back to being DC's. For some reason Wade Phillips comes to mind right away, but it seems there have been dozens of them over the years. Buddy Ryan, anyone? Rex Ryan too, for that matter. IIRC Rex made 2 straight AFCCG with Mark Sanchez at QB.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3567
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:51 pm
  • Fire Norton, hire Quinn.
    +1
    12forlife
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 112
    Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:05 pm


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:15 pm
  • FS = Good Player
    SS = All-Pro (his replacement also has filled in nicely)
    LC = ProBowler,
    RC = 2nd highest coverage grade by PFF last season
    NB = Avg, might be a Good Player, as he has flashed here and there, need more games to determine.

    MB = Good Player, borderline All-Pro (at this juncture)
    WB = Good Player, and is currently playing out of his mind
    SB = eh, up and down (Cody Barton)

    5T = Role Player (Good at his job, stop the run.)
    3T = Good Player (if not overpriced, but still good.)
    1T = Good Player
    Leo = Avg Player

    = This equals one of the worst defenses in the league? Bottom half at best, bottom three at worst.

    Something isn't adding up here. You don't need All-Pros at every position to be an avg defense.


    I just can't see Pete hiring Quinn. But it was extremely telling that the media immediately started asking Pete about Quinn, and if he would bring him in. :D Tacitly admitting Norton is not good.

    To the people that are saying Quinn's defense was terrible in ATL so he shouldn't be brought back. Don't you realize you're saying Pete is a terrible defensive coach as well then by the same logic. :shock:
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2842
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 pm
  • I personally don't have enough cash, but maybe if we all pitch in? I'm all for it though — his NFL experience would definitely add a new level of legitimacy to this board.
    Somos doces
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 34
    Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pm
    Location: Southeast Washington


Re: Let's hire Quinn as a consultant
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 pm
  • I'd be super surprised if the Hawks have not reached out by now on a consultant agreement.

    The bye gives the two sides, if mutually interested, time to work out what expectations are.

    The expectation should obviously be that KNJ is on notice, kind of like a QB competition.

    I
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7176
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am




It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online