Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hyde and DK observations

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 pm
  • I rewatched the game today and notice a couple things.

    Hyde
    Had a really good game but notice there were a few times he could of made a cut and went more up field but rather he runs more wide to the outside. I think this is the difference between him and Carson. Carson hits the holes with authority and gets up field where Hyde is more of an outside rusher.

    DK
    LAST YEAR AND A FEW times THIS YEAR DK has had drop issues. Aikman could not stop taking about how great DK could be and commenting Seattle doesn’t even know how good he can be. Aikman couldn’t believe how little they throw or even look DK’s way. I don’t live in the Seattle area but listen daily to 710 and 950 and try to get as much press info on the Hawks. Do you think DK has drop issues in practice and Seattle is just working with him slowly and letting him grow as a receiver. I think they are doing a good job but wish they would throw to him a little more. Has anyone heard any onside info on how DK looks in practice? He dropped the one TD pass, and don’t make the excuse Russ threw it too hard, lol and his other drop he could of easily had a big gain and even taken it to the house. Do you think these drops are causing Russ to look more Locketts way. Yes I know Lockett has more drops but DKs drops seem to be more on the bigger play opportunities.
    zchurch74
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 829
    Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:59 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm
  • I would like to see Russell throw a few more, just throw it up and see DK can do type plays. But still, they hooked up for a 40 yarder that got wiped out due to a offensive lineman holding, and then they drew a big PI flag putting them in the red zone on another. All in all, not too bad.
    A_Biased_Fan
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:51 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 pm
  • DK had a classic run before you caught it drop, which based on what I have seen from him he will almost never do again, and one where he either didn't see the ball or completely misjudged the velocity. A worrisome drop doesn't bounce off of your facemask. I am not going to lose sleep thinking about whether or not he will be able to perform well at WR for the Seahawks.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 801
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:42 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 pm
  • One other aspect is game speed and routes run, DK is used to running go routes not crossing routes and the ball looks different coming at you, it appears faster with less trajectory from a receivers perspective. DK has been learning more routes and in a game things are faster then practice by 10 or 20 percent, it just is don't ask me to quantify it, experience at any level if you played you know what I am saying, call it the adrenaline factor maybe.

    He will get those in the future as he adjusts to speed and trusts Russell not to throw him into a oncoming train.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34553
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm
  • Said he wasn't ready for Russ's "fastball"... I doubt he f's it up again.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2979
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:40 pm
  • Catching a dart is a whole 'nother thing than catching a floater dropping in to you. I used to catch heck for throwing Bobby Douglas style short range darts to guys in close company. That was a great pass by Russ.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1963
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 pm
  • Like many of us fans, Metcalf seems to learn best from his mistakes. So, as others have mentioned, I feel he will easily correct the approaches that led to his foibles last night.
    Somos doces
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 73
    Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pm
    Location: Southeast Washington


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 pm
  • He def has some drop issues, but as has been stated already, he really seems to learn from his mistakes so far. One thing that aikman said that i agree with, and one thing ive seen i REALLY like, is the amount of effort he puts into routes no matter who gets the pass and his effort on blocking so far has been pretty legit.
    Lawke
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 37
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:47 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:09 am
  • Every receiver drops one from time to time. I don't think DK has dropped so many that we should consider it a problem. In most cases it when it happens that is so frustrating. The "dart" vs "rainbow" catch is a real thing, and of course varies with game situation. DK has made some tough catches and seems to be capable of learning.

    Hell, one of our fave WRs of all time dropped a heluva lot more balls than DK. Y'all remember Darryl, right? :mrgreen:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21514
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 am
  • sutz wrote:Every receiver drops one from time to time. I don't think DK has dropped so many that we should consider it a problem. In most cases it when it happens that is so frustrating. The "dart" vs "rainbow" catch is a real thing, and of course varies with game situation. DK has made some tough catches and seems to be capable of learning.

    Hell, one of our fave WRs of all time dropped a heluva lot more balls than DK. Y'all remember Darryl, right? :mrgreen:


    Darryl or Darrel? One is Turner the other is Jackson. Big difference.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2583
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    sutz wrote:Every receiver drops one from time to time. I don't think DK has dropped so many that we should consider it a problem. In most cases it when it happens that is so frustrating. The "dart" vs "rainbow" catch is a real thing, and of course varies with game situation. DK has made some tough catches and seems to be capable of learning.

    Hell, one of our fave WRs of all time dropped a heluva lot more balls than DK. Y'all remember Darryl, right? :mrgreen:


    Darryl or Darrel? One is Turner the other is Jackson. Big difference.

    My bad. It's Darrell, of course. ;)
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21514
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am
  • The bounce off his mask in the end zone looked embarrassing, but I can understand that one because Russ really rifled it in there.

    The other drop was a lack of concentration. I hate seeing that. He’s not the first WR to do it and won’t be the last, but it’s always frustrating. Catch, then run.

    DK is a student of the game. He’s going to keep getting better, and that should have us all excited.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 7318
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am
  • If we lost the game I would be kind of mad at DK for the drops and Myers for the extra point miss but we won so I am not thinking about the miscues hardly at all. He has made some great catches in traffic. We can all see he is going to improve and is already a great player that will screw up here and there.

    Hyde impressed me the other night. He's not as good as Carson, a dude I wouldn't trade for anybody, but I think he's great. Remember that run along the sidelines where Al Michaels thought he stepped out of bounds. The recent one where he punished Peterson at the goal line. That was some Beast Mode action there! We all look forward to Chris coming back but I'd rather we play it safe if need be. In Hyde (or should I say Dr. Jekyll)) I trust!
    capncrunch
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 352
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am
    Location: Vienna, VA


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm
  • DK has another drop for a TD tonight. I’m just wondering what’s the excuse for tonight’s drop. It wasn’t a tough catch to make. I will keep saying it until he proves me wrong. DK will not be elite until he can get rid of these drops. His drops are on big plays.

    Give me your excuse!
    zchurch74
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 829
    Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:59 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:06 pm
  • He's already elite.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 625
    Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 pm
  • He had 177 yards and did miss two more tds. The one just kinda got juggled as the defender fell and another he let up a bit and it went over him. So he's just the NFL leader and not the GOAT yet.
    evergreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 756
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:47 pm
  • Looked like he jumped a moment too soon..
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2979
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 pm
  • Only guy that can stop DK is DK. If he had Baldwins hands it would be just too unfair.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2041
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:11 pm
  • DK seems to make most of the really tough catches, then blows the easy ones.???
    Leee-roy
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 6:04 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 pm
  • zchurch74 wrote:DK has another drop for a TD tonight. I’m just wondering what’s the excuse for tonight’s drop. It wasn’t a tough catch to make. I will keep saying it until he proves me wrong. DK will not be elite until he can get rid of these drops. His drops are on big plays.

    Give me your excuse!


    DK has more receiving yards than any other player in the NFL and has the 5th most TD receptions. Not too shabby for a guy that isn't elite. ;)
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3679
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm
  • Every wide receiver has drops, even the elite ones. Calvin Johnson dropped his fair share of passes, as did T.O and Randy Moss. They also made spectacular catches which DK does.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3570
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:32 am
  • DK just doesn't have great hands, but hes still a fantastic receiver.

    You got to live with his inconsistent drops. I dont think he'll ever have elite hands but he'll be elite in getting open.

    So you got to take what you have
    Geologic
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 587
    Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:33 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Every wide receiver has drops, even the elite ones. Calvin Johnson dropped his fair share of passes, as did T.O and Randy Moss. They also made spectacular catches which DK does.

    He's like Terrell Owens. TO didnt have great hands but had the great athletic ability to get open.

    Randy Moss had great hands dont ever say he didnt come on dude
    Geologic
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 587
    Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:11 am
  • Geologic wrote:DK just doesn't have great hands, but hes still a fantastic receiver.

    You got to live with his inconsistent drops. I dont think he'll ever have elite hands but he'll be elite in getting open.

    So you got to take what you have


    Same thoughts here.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1819
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:02 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Geologic wrote:DK just doesn't have great hands, but hes still a fantastic receiver.

    You got to live with his inconsistent drops. I dont think he'll ever have elite hands but he'll be elite in getting open.

    So you got to take what you have


    Same thoughts here.


    I don't think its his hands that is the problem, I think he has great hands. The problem I'm seeing is that he's misjudging the pass... Yesterday, he appeared to jump for it just a tad bit early, the other week the ball was fast and he misjudged it and it hit his helmet.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2979
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 am
  • I think DK is doing fantastic, considering every NFL team and the media are all keying on him as the "go to" receiver. We can focus on his drops, but we have to also focus on his unlikely and very difficult receptions as well. At least he doesn't suffer from fumbleitist, which is far worse.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1054
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:16 am
  • Geologic wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Every wide receiver has drops, even the elite ones. Calvin Johnson dropped his fair share of passes, as did T.O and Randy Moss. They also made spectacular catches which DK does.

    He's like Terrell Owens. TO didnt have great hands but had the great athletic ability to get open.

    Randy Moss had great hands dont ever say he didnt come on dude

    He didn't say "Moss didn't have great hands." He said that all WRs, including Moss have dropped the ball from time to time. He's right.

    :34853_doh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21514
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:54 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Geologic wrote:DK just doesn't have great hands, but hes still a fantastic receiver.

    You got to live with his inconsistent drops. I dont think he'll ever have elite hands but he'll be elite in getting open.

    So you got to take what you have


    Same thoughts here.


    I don't think its his hands that is the problem, I think he has great hands. The problem I'm seeing is that he's misjudging the pass... Yesterday, he appeared to jump for it just a tad bit early, the other week the ball was fast and he misjudged it and it hit his helmet.


    Last nights drop was right in the bread basket though. I dont know. Seems like its becoming a common trend. Dont get me wrong, the good outweighs the bad by miles, but its something I wish he would clean up.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1819
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:46 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Geologic wrote:DK just doesn't have great hands, but hes still a fantastic receiver.

    You got to live with his inconsistent drops. I dont think he'll ever have elite hands but he'll be elite in getting open.

    So you got to take what you have


    Same thoughts here.


    I don't think its his hands that is the problem, I think he has great hands. The problem I'm seeing is that he's misjudging the pass... Yesterday, he appeared to jump for it just a tad bit early, the other week the ball was fast and he misjudged it and it hit his helmet.


    Last nights drop was right in the bread basket though. I dont know. Seems like its becoming a common trend. Dont get me wrong, the good outweighs the bad by miles, but its something I wish he would clean up.



    Watch the replay,, I thought it was pretty clear he jumped about a split sec too soon and when he was coming down, the ball was over him and he's losing balance.. IDK, just seemed like it to me.. but yeah, he needs to catch those, I agree.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2979
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:59 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Geologic wrote:DK just doesn't have great hands, but hes still a fantastic receiver.

    You got to live with his inconsistent drops. I dont think he'll ever have elite hands but he'll be elite in getting open.

    So you got to take what you have


    Same thoughts here.


    I don't think its his hands that is the problem, I think he has great hands. The problem I'm seeing is that he's misjudging the pass... Yesterday, he appeared to jump for it just a tad bit early, the other week the ball was fast and he misjudged it and it hit his helmet.

    I agree with this take ..
    He is still learning but he wants to get better and he will.
    He is already a game breaker and a star but guys it's
    only his second season.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5892
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:58 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Geologic wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Every wide receiver has drops, even the elite ones. Calvin Johnson dropped his fair share of passes, as did T.O and Randy Moss. They also made spectacular catches which DK does.

    He's like Terrell Owens. TO didnt have great hands but had the great athletic ability to get open.

    Randy Moss had great hands dont ever say he didnt come on dude

    He didn't say "Moss didn't have great hands." He said that all WRs, including Moss have dropped the ball from time to time. He's right.

    :34853_doh:

    My bad I misread that :lol:
    Geologic
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 587
    Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 pm


Re: Hyde and DK observations
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:41 am
  • No matter how hard I try, I just can't get worried about DK and his drops. He's going to be just fine.
    People forget that Jerry Rice and TO both had major drop issues early in their careers. Shoot, Rice even talks about it on his A Football Life. And this article talks about it a lot, calling him a rookie bust etc.
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkt ... ookie-bust

    Point being that it's not unusual for a player to have drop problems early on. But, DK also makes incredibly clutch plays that help them win games. And he does it over and over again.
    To me, it's strange that he could have a 10 catch, 177 yard game and many will just dwell ONLY on the dropped pass in the end zone. And yes, he absolutely should have caught that ball in the end zone.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 16946
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA




It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online