Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Jamal Adams play next year without a new contract?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Deja vu? Remember how before the last year of Earl's contract he wanted a new long term contract due to injury concerns? He wanted guaranteed money locked up so if he were injured he would still get paid (Kam). For whatever reason, he decided to play anyway, hence the middle finger when he got hurt.

So, will Jamal play for Seattle next year without a new long term contract? And after seeing what happened to Earl with the same management, will that make it more likely the Jamal won't make the same mistake Earl did? And if Jamal holds out next year, who blinks first? I think Seattle needs him more next year than he needs us.

Perhaps JS should have locked him up to a 4 year contract before giving up so many draft picks? As far as what it is going to cost to re-sign Adams:

“(Adams) is going to be in that $20 million conversation and that’s why this negotiation is not going to be simple, because the Seahawks do not want to pay him that kind of money, they want to keep him as a safety,” Heaps said. “Jamal Adams, he ain’t buying it, he ain’t having it, especially when he has 9.5 sacks.”
    https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1255168/ ... be-simple/
    MO Hawk
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• Nope
    xray
    NET Veteran

• I anticipate that the Hawks will lock him up during the offseason. And he should cost about $15M/year starting in 2022. His current 2021 cap hit is $9.86M.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• I think he signs an 3 or 4 year extention for a little less money/year but every penny guaranteed.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

• If he doesnt, it will be one of the worst signings of all time.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• The hawks will for sure extend him. I don't think anyone wants the distraction the situation might become if he isn't. Dude deserves it. You can argue he's still under contract for another year but he's undeniably a critical piece of our defense not just for his talent, but for the style of play the D is afforded due to his versatlility. Just not the same D without him in it. You don't let guys like that sit going into the final year of a rookie deal, wondering...
    keasley45
    NET Starter

• Seahawks will extend him. His cap hit is already $10M and a long-term contract with a large signing bonus will not have that big of an effect on the cap.
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• They will work on an extension but if the price is too dear they will use the franchise tag. And if that falls through they will recoup a first round pick from someone in a trade. Just like Clark.

We always have a number and if guys won't come down to it, you will be traded or tagged or allowed to test FA. That's the business. Guys need to understand their value and understand that the grass isn't always greener.

Some of us have worked an entire career for less money than we could have made elsewhere because we realized a good workplace in a good city is more conducive to happiness than a few more greenbacks each year.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• If he has one year left...he will probably use that year. I would as the future from last season is kinda a huge unknown. Need to see the little pictures first before the big picture.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Will be interesting to monitor...he was so expensive (2 firsts) in part because he had 2 years left on his rookie deal.......
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• It's a moot point because we will definitely give him a big extension this off-season. However, the big cap hits won't kick in until down the road.

Look at the Mahomes contract if you want to see what that looks like when you extend a valuable rookie with a year left on their deal. Huge average cap hit but the first three years are majorly discounted (12%, 55%, 65%). So the way that we will benefit from Adams having a year left on the rookie deal is a slightly lower average and the timing of the "real" cap hits that won't occur until 2023/2024.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Didn't he state that he wouldn't play a single down without one? That said, the Hawks are signing him for sure. The only way they weren't, (after that trade) was if he was a total bust.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

• Accoring to 3/4s of our fans he is a bust and a terrible trade, while they hate on their fantasy football numbers
    balakoth
    NET Rookie

• I'd rather just trade him for a 1st+1st+3rd. Diggs and Blair will be fine.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Is this a legit question? What happened to players playing out their contracts and living up to their side of the agreement?

Wont happen.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• jamescasey1124 wrote:Is this a legit question? What happened to players playing out their contracts and living up to their side of the agreement?

It's very common for top tier players to get extended before the final year of their existing contract. Typically the reason it doesn't happen is because the team and player can't agree on the cost of that extension in the offseason before the last year. I don't know when the days of "play out your whole contract, wait until the offseason before we'll even talk about it" were, but I'm apparently too young to remember them. Teams don't like their best players hitting free agency, if they intend to keep them.

Many people don't realize that these players don't make the higher salary/higher cap hits on extensions until the extended years. So likely someone like Adams would make the same amount/cap hit next year, then the yearly costs/pay are added as additional years behind that. The players will see a signing bonus but not the actual salary until the extension time starts. For example, Mahomes' original contract runs through this season, and he's still playing on his $825,000 salary this year before the extension kicks in next year. But he got a $10 million signing bonus this year. He gets nearly $23 million next year then $30-$40 million from 2021 to 2024. He has years on his contract starting in 2025 but the team can cut him with no dead cap money so it's not really a "real" contract unless they just let him sit on it without a restructure (he has a nearly $60 million cap hit in 2027 so this doesn't seem likely).
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• The plan has to be to give Adams a big extension this off season.

If that wasn't the plan, then why'd you give up two first rounders for him? So of course you extend him.

Now am I nervous as hell giving 15M+ to a player like Adams that plays as reckless as he does, which means yeah he's a game changing player, but he might also miss a bunch of games every year because of that reckless style in which he plays. We've already seen it this year, and now he's hurt again.

But IMO this conversation ship's sailed. Gave up WAY too much draft capital to not make sure he's happy and extended this off season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Honestly if he’s wanting too much (20$ mill per) or too much guaranteed you can trade him.

We gave up a late first and a late third this year and our first next year. Assuming we finish in the 25th pick range we gave up 1500 points worth of draft stock for him.

If you could trade him for a 1st/early 2nd and maybe a 3rd you’d be recouping half his value and u got him for 1 productive season plus the ability to use the money elsewhere. I like Adams but with the way Clark and clowney left this front office isn’t afraid to cut losses
    Kinger95
    NET Rookie

• He will be here next year. He has proved his worth and expressed his satisfaction for staying put.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• Trading Jamal would be one of the dumbest things this front office would ever do
    misfit
    NET Veteran

• We absolutely must lock him in. He could be the greatest Hawk safety ever when its all said and done.

With that company, we don't let this guy walk...nor piss him off.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

• Elemas wrote:We absolutely must lock him in. He could be the greatest Hawk safety ever when its all said and done.

With that company, we don't let this guy walk...nor piss him off.

Are you comfortable giving him $18-20 million per year? If I am his agent that is what I am asking for.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

• For what they traded for him, he better not be a 1-year rental.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Starter

• 12AngryHawks wrote:For what they traded for him, he better not be a 1-year rental.

About as comfortable as you are trading away 2 first round picks and only getting a season or two.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

• Adams has brought imo, not only a lot to a Defense talent and versatility wise.. but he brought something that’s been missing since the LOB

Swagger. Our defense has had a swagger to them since his arrival and since they’ve started to click. And I love it and his passion. They need to keep him. Yes he’s been injured this year, but I’m not worried about his durability. For him I’d say it’s more of a conditioning issue and lack of everything else thanks to COVID. The dude lays his heart out on the field and plays. Give him his contract
    JPatera76
    NET Veteran

• I think Jamal is looking to get paid (he does have a Rolls Royce, lol) but I also think he loves to play and wants to win. Add in his confidence and leadership, and those are the guys you want to keep around.

It's still odd they didn't extend him as part of the trade. I have to imagine they wanted to but couldn't come to terms. There's no way he plays next year without an extension and/or being traded if he wants too much. Only other option is if they want to franchise him.

I think they will get a deal done where he will be the highest paid safety in the league but still somewhat team friendly.
    potatohead33
    NET Practice Squad

• potatohead33 wrote:
    I think they will get a deal done where he will be the highest paid safety in the league but still somewhat team friendly.

I think the fact that Adams is saying things like "I'm not a safety I'm a missile" tells you that he's probably not going to be happy with just being the highest paid safety, which is around 14M.

He considers himself more than that, which means he might be asking for way more than 15M. Which is concerning.

Doesn't mean we won't get something done, but I'd be cautious if people are thinking he's going to be OK with just making another 100K more than the last safety who got paid.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• no, of course not. I don't even know why that's even a question.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Does he have kids to feed, just asking for a former Safety..............
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    potatohead33 wrote:

I think the fact that Adams is saying things like "I'm not a safety I'm a missile" tells you that he's probably not going to be happy with just being the highest paid safety, which is around 14M.

He considers himself more than that, which means he might be asking for way more than 15M. Which is concerning.

Doesn't mean we won't get something done, but I'd be cautious if people are thinking he's going to be OK with just making another 100K more than the last safety who got paid.

At some point the agent will talk these types of guys down to earth. Jimmy Graham wanted receiver 1 money instead of TE money too, never really got it. I mean look at Clowney, although admittedly not a great example because his stats never backed up his demands.

Jamal is a great player, gets sacks, causes disruptions, but he has weaknesses too. He hasn't exactly been durable to this point and his coverage is sub par. If he is money chasing rather than ring chasing I guess we will find out.
    potatohead33
    NET Practice Squad

It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information