Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:I am with Mealstrom on the point guard debate. To me when people use that in football it means get the ball to your playmakers and let them do their thing. In Russ's case imo it means Russ not having to do it all himself. Have a running game he can rely on. And in the passing game he has 2 1000 yard receivers. Have plays designed to get the ball to them and let them do their thing vs Russ having to hold onto the ball and wait. Whether it's more plays to our TEs or add a slot receiver have that outlet guy in the middle for him to move the chains.

The problem with that is then you are saying no scrambling, no magic plays, no doing anything but take what may or may not be there, even if it is not enough to keep the chains going. That would be stupid on our part not to allow Wilson to make the magic he makes when we need it. Problem is once again point guards don't do that. We need a scoring point guard. One who can take what's there when it is needed but can also make something out of nothing when needed.

That's you putting word in my mouth. There is absolutely no way that is what I want or am saying. Yeah you are going to have times were Russ uses his magic to make things happen, but that should come as an advantage. Not the main way of how to move the ball down the field. Playing point guard the way we are saying is not neutering Russ's God given ability. That's just the way you are defining point guard.

But by definition a point guard does nothing more than take what's there and if nothing is there get rid of it. That's not what we need. A point guard runs the play called period. We need more than that, we need someone that can run the play called but also make something out of nothing when the play breaks down.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Come on, supposedly the Seahawks "don't believe in Wilson" so it doesn't really matter :?
    People hated him when he was "a robot" and didn't say much.
    Now they hate him because he's voicing his opinion.
    As always, he can't win with MUCH of the fanbase. I've never seen a player who has done more for a team and organization get more blasted than Russ.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:we will know pretty quick, first possession if they snap it with 5 or less, are predictable than PC has neutered him. If we don't and it looks different he has not. All that aside keep in mind just like this year things might go great for a few games than one hiccup, injury or a defense struggling and PC might take control again, and we are back to same old.

If it were that simple, everyone would be a successful coach in the NFL. It isn't anywhere close to the black-and-white "he's neutered or not neutered" description posted here.

There's a guaranteed way for an OC to not get neutered by the head coach. Be good on 3rd down. Don't turn the ball over. Do those things and the points will follow and the coach will leave you alone.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

• OrangeGravy wrote:There's a guaranteed way for an OC to not get neutered by the head coach. Be good on 3rd down. Don't turn the ball over. Do those things and the points will follow and the coach will leave you alone.

I welcome that action.
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• John63 wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:I am with Mealstrom on the point guard debate. To me when people use that in football it means get the ball to your playmakers and let them do their thing. In Russ's case imo it means Russ not having to do it all himself. Have a running game he can rely on. And in the passing game he has 2 1000 yard receivers. Have plays designed to get the ball to them and let them do their thing vs Russ having to hold onto the ball and wait. Whether it's more plays to our TEs or add a slot receiver have that outlet guy in the middle for him to move the chains.

The problem with that is then you are saying no scrambling, no magic plays, no doing anything but take what may or may not be there, even if it is not enough to keep the chains going. That would be stupid on our part not to allow Wilson to make the magic he makes when we need it. Problem is once again point guards don't do that. We need a scoring point guard. One who can take what's there when it is needed but can also make something out of nothing when needed.

That's you putting word in my mouth. There is absolutely no way that is what I want or am saying. Yeah you are going to have times were Russ uses his magic to make things happen, but that should come as an advantage. Not the main way of how to move the ball down the field. Playing point guard the way we are saying is not neutering Russ's God given ability. That's just the way you are defining point guard.

But by definition a point guard does nothing more than take what's there and if nothing is there get rid of it. That's not what we need. A point guard runs the play called period. We need more than that, we need someone that can run the play called but also make something out of nothing when the play breaks down.

Uhm.. I completely disagree with your "point guard" assessment. THe point guard may run the play, but he also picks the play, he also creates openings himself by seeing open men and those negating the play call.
    balakoth
    NET Rookie

• balakoth wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:
    John63 wrote:

Uhm.. I completely disagree with your "point guard" assessment. THe point guard may run the play, but he also picks the play, he also creates openings himself by seeing open men and those negating the play call.

Ahh no point guard picks the play the coaches signal in the play form the sidelines. All that aside once agian Wilson is not a point guard Qb PG QBs cannot do what Wilson does.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Fade
    NET Veteran

• A telling change I would welcome to hear about, with the arrival of a new offensive coordinator, is an end to reserving a block of practice time for improvisation and scramble exercises. Under the current CBA, practice time was severely reduced. What is available might be better invested in perfecting designed plays.

It might be interesting to keep an eye on Jamarco Jones as a 2021 beneficiary of the arrival of Shane Waldron.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information