Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

John63

Reaction score
we will know pretty quick, first possession if they snap it with 5 or less, are predictable than PC has neutered him. If we don't and it looks different he has not. All that aside keep in mind just like this year things might go great for a few games than one hiccup, injury or a defense struggling and PC might take control again, and we are back to same old.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think this is good choice by the team and the reality of it seems more focused to me upon an ability to adjust and innovate the offensive scheme instead of being predictable.

Time of course will tell but this coach has earned an shot at being an OC and could bring a very interesting and different approach than that we have seen since 2017 and before.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2294n7b8 said:
we will know pretty quick, first possession if they snap it with 5 or less, are predictable than PC has neutered him. If we don't and it looks different he has not. All that aside keep in mind just like this year things might go great for a few games than one hiccup, injury or a defense struggling and PC might take control again, and we are back to same old.

If it were that simple, everyone would be a successful coach in the NFL. It isn't anywhere close to the black-and-white "he's neutered or not neutered" description posted here.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
John63":3h3tjoye said:

Whoa, I'd wait for a larger sample size than that before drawing any conclusions

JPatera76

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":225wrdcn said:
Guys...

This is a consensus good hire.

Pete Carroll brought unity to Seahawks.net.

lol :ditto: :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

Chawker

Reaction score
I'll be able to tell you on the first play ! If he comes out with a single back, running a RPO then he's a loser and a new night mare will begins.

We have to run two back sets at least 60% of the time if were going to move the ball on the ground. PERIOD!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, if they don't win by 6 touchdowns, 5 straight games, this hire sucks.
If Russ throws a pick or incomplete pass, this hire sucks.
Then we can start the "Fire Waldron" threads after every game :mrgreen:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Chawker":14he68c3 said:
I'll be able to tell you on the first play ! If he comes out with a single back, running a RPO then he's a loser and a new night mare will begins.

We have to run two back sets at least 60% of the time if were going to move the ball on the ground. PERIOD!!!

Using data up from 2018 (most recent available to me), that'd be the highest split in the NFL, 1% higher than the Niners, who have the best fullback in the league.

Not sure forcing a two-back set really changes much. Seattle was one of the top DVOA rushing teams last year, they just didn't do it as much.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":20irirvk said:
Yep, if they don't win by 6 touchdowns, 5 straight games, this hire sucks.
If Russ throws a pick or incomplete pass, this hire sucks.
Then we can start the "Fire Waldron" threads after every game :mrgreen:

Don't know about all that I'm sure if they have consistency everyone would like him but if it's the same $hit just different coach then yes probably. I think everyone is just tired of the same ol same ol crap we seem to see every year same excuses line is crap if we run the ball more we were there to possibly win the game with 2 minutes left so on and so on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well if it's Pete ball I expect a Fullback to be drafted, acquired or someone converted.

Mike Rob was our last Full Back that really contributed in a large way with Lynch.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2721tpse said:
John63":2721tpse said:

If it were that simple, everyone would be a successful coach in the NFL. It isn't anywhere close to the black-and-white "he's neutered or not neutered" description posted here.

John, I used to think the same way you did, and I started watching other teams. Many of them do the exact same thing. Why? To keep the opposing D on the field longer? Rest their own D? I think it's mostly to force the Defense to show themselves. But in reality, I have no idea.

Even so, I would like to see them change it up, let Russell decide when he's going to snap the ball based on what he's seeing.

I like the hire, and I doubt Pete is going to be in this guy's ear as much as people say he will. I believe that Pete will give him guidelines, then turn him loose. I believe that Russell is going to demand that.

One of the problems with the 2020 offense, was there were times when RW wasn't allowed to change the play. Per Jake Heaps, the Giants game was one where Russell had to go with the plays he was given. I think that's going to change.

I like the fact that Sean McVay had Waldron calling the plays during the 2019 Preseason. So why didn't McVay promote him to OC during the year? Because their QB was Goff. McVay was having a lot of success calling plays, and no way was he handing that part of the game off.

I also like the fact that Waldron has been on 3 NFL teams, picking up ideas from some good coaches. The other important point is his experience as TE Coach, and OLine coach. I like the idea of a youngster drawing up plays when he is familiar with the entire offense. I think this is going to be a good thing, especially for Russell.

Listening to Jake Heaps, apparently there were other people trying to hire Kevin O'Connell, so they had to offer him a title. IIRC, it was still McVay calling all of the plays.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Then there's this:

Shane Waldron was Jake Heap's pick yesterday.

Jake's friend on the Rams staff told him "This is a bigger loss for us than people realize! Shane is a great match for Russ!

"Waldron was McVay's right-hand guy, and was the key member on that offensive staff, when it came to game planning each week!"

Chawker

Reaction score
The advantages of running a two back set are as follows:

1. A lead blocker on run plays

2. A extra pass blocker in a max protection or blitzing situation.

3. A extra check down receiver.

4. Can free up a TE from his block duties.

5. Lens more creedents to the play action pass.

A two back set is crucial to the success of any NFL team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Chawker":3etvwd9t said:

Sure, it's a good personnel grouping to have, but it is in no way critical in the modern NFL. Exactly why the fullback position is dying out.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Chawker":xtygy3ls said:

In 1995

Name one successful team since the 90s that ran a two-back offense? Even the 2013 Seahawks had a fullback on the field for 8 plays in the SB.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
sdog1981":1fc5n87a said:
Chawker":1fc5n87a said:

In 1995

Name one successful team since the 90s that ran a two-back offense? Even the 2013 Seahawks had a fullback on the field for 8 plays in the SB.

Pretty sure 49ers w/ Juice is the only team out there that even approaches 60%, and he didn't hit 60% of offensive snaps in a game a single time this year.

But they're an outlier.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Chawker":p2wso7gr said:
All of those benefits you are assigning to 21 personnel are also true of 12 personnel, with the second TE substituting for the FB. Teams have gravitated that way in the running game because the second TE is more flexible. The Patriots even ran effectively out of 02 personnel with Hernandez taking handoffs and running behind Gronk.

11/10 personnel can also counter those advantages with their own benefits - instead of using an extra blocker against a blitz you can have a hot receiver instead. Having a slot receiver/TE running a route is a great way to back LBs off the run. The play action run is extremely effective with extra receivers on the field. Most importantly, 11 packages are extremely versatile. The QB can go under center or in shotgun, audible just to about anything to keep the defense guessing, and run the ball to either the strong or the weak side without losing advantage.

Even 00 personnel is used occasionally by teams like the Patriots and Packers as an extension of the running game with quick WR screens and bubble screens, because it forces the defense to bring in more DBs and take linemen off the field. The 49ers used to kill the Packers with Kap running out of 00 personnel because he could outrun their LBs.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":9kp9isf6 said:
Chawker":9kp9isf6 said:
All of those benefits you are assigning to 21 personnel are also true of 12 personnel, with the second TE substituting for the FB. Teams have gravitated that way in the running game because the second TE is more flexible. The Patriots even ran effectively out of 02 personnel with Hernandez taking handoffs and running behind Gronk.

11/10 personnel can also counter those advantages with their own benefits - instead of using an extra blocker against a blitz you can have a hot receiver instead. Having a slot receiver/TE running a route is a great way to back LBs off the run. The play action run is extremely effective with extra receivers on the field. Most importantly, 11 packages are extremely versatile. The QB can go under center or in shotgun, audible just to about anything to keep the defense guessing, and run the ball to either the strong or the weak side without losing advantage.

Even 00 personnel is used occasionally by teams like the Patriots and Packers as an extension of the running game with quick WR screens and bubble screens, because it forces the defense to bring in more DBs and take linemen off the field. The 49ers used to kill the Packers with Kap running out of 00 personnel because he could outrun their LBs.

Tell what TE can Block and read a defense to open a hole on this team from the H back location.

I don't have many years left to wait so appreciate expedition.

Pete has been trying this ever since M rob left, it has not worked, it has got our RB's more injuries as a unit then any team I can think of however if you want to be number 1 in something.

I like the hire, and I doubt Pete is going to be in this guy's ear as much as people say he will. I believe that Pete will give him guidelines, then turn him loose. I believe that Russell is going to demand that.

Ivotuk, When has Wilson demanded anything, he doesn't even do it during contract negotiations.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One of the problems with the 2020 offense, was there were times when RW wasn't allowed to change the play. Per Jake Heaps, the Giants game was one where Russell had to go with the plays he was given. I think that's going to change.

This reminds me of a quote from Russ after that awful 4th and 1 play in that game that didn't come close to working. Russ said that "they didn't get the look they were expecting". I just threw my arms up reading that thinking whey didn't he change the play or just take the 5 yard delay of game and punt it.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":idhenngs said:

This reminds me of a quote from Russ after that awful 4th and 1 play in that game that didn't come close to working. Russ said that "they didn't get the look they were expecting". I just threw my arms up reading that thinking whey didn't he change the play or just take the 5 yard delay of game and punt it.

Trust issues raises it's head again.