Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

onepicknick1

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1qmboiwr said:
Doesnt matter who gets hired. Carroll will neuter any scheme and run the offense his way as usual. Its going to be the same old snapping the ball with 1 second left on the play clock and throwing 50 yard bombs on 3rd and short.

LOL

TraderGary

Reaction score
Here's my take fwiw...

Obviously since we play the Rams at least twice a year, Waldron is very familiar with how archaic and predictable our offensive schemes have been under Carroll. Knowing this, I have to believe during the interview, Waldron asked Carroll if he's going to allow him to completely revamp and run his own scheme with very little if any interference. If not, I can't imagine Waldron would be willing to come here knowing he's just going to be another fall guy while having to run Pete's tired, ineffective, and outdated schemes.

I honestly don't know anything about Waldron, but I do like the fact that he's coming from the McVay coaching tree, who I think is one of the brightest young head coaches in the NFL.

But on the flip side of the coin, the fact that this will be his first OC job, I have to wonder just how much autonomy he's going to be given by Pete. Is it realistic to think Pete would give a rookie OC full autonomy? Is he finally beginning to realize he needs to stay the hell out of the way on the offensive side of the ball and let the coordinators do their damn job?

Without knowing the answer to that, I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about this hire.

Obviously we're all hoping for great things from him, and I wish him the best of luck. Welcome to Seattle Shane.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
This is a hard one to like or dislike. When I look at the way Goff Played this year and when they were in the SB he either worked Magic or totally destroyed him, Meaning he played great for one season and then he fell off during the SB.

Goff IMO reads his routes worst then Russ The Pats totally blew up their OL IDK maybe he's a genius guess have to wait and see what he can do for Russ and the receivers.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Rams moved the pocket a ton for Jared freakin Goff, finally somebody to perhaps use more of RW's strengths.

and just because he was Passing Game Coordinator doesn't mean he wasn't intimately involved with the run game.

So excited to not see 4 different run plays between the tackles and 7 step drops and go long. Some deception and creativity? crazy! about 8 years too late.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love the hire. Maybe some creativity finally. IF Pete allows his coordinator to coordinate.
Let's roll. Sounds like a hell of a hire and surprisingly not too many people are freaking out. Didn't see that coming :mrgreen:
Give the guy a chance before assuming the worst? Maybe?

ducks41468

Reaction score
Cautiously optimistic. He consistently beat us and made Goff look good so that's a good start.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sutz":1zat9brn said:
Now, after so many years of playing football can they train Russell to look short, medium, long sometimes instead of always looking long, medium, short?

Asking for a friend. :twisted:

Russ already looks short. :sarcasm_on:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
TraderGary":204ljys8 said:
Here's my take fwiw...

Obviously since we play the Rams at least twice a year, Waldron is very familiar with how archaic and predictable our offensive schemes have been under Carroll. Knowing this, I have to believe during the interview, Waldron asked Carroll if he's going to allow him to completely revamp and run his own scheme with very little if any interference. If not, I can't imagine Waldron would be willing to come here knowing he's just going to be another fall guy while having to run Pete's tired, ineffective, and outdated schemes.

I honestly don't know anything about Waldron, but I do like the fact that he's coming from the McVay coaching tree, who I think is one of the brightest young head coaches in the NFL.

But on the flip side of the coin, the fact that this will be his first OC job, I have to wonder just how much autonomy he's going to be given by Pete. Is it realistic to think Pete would give a rookie OC full autonomy? Is he finally beginning to realize he needs to stay the hell out of the way on the offensive side of the ball and let the coordinators do their damn job?

Without knowing the answer to that, I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about this hire.

Obviously we're all hoping for great things from him, and I wish him the best of luck. Welcome to Seattle Shane.

Great post. Reflects my feelings closely.

Momofantv

Reaction score
This dude was demoted this year, he was QB coach they brought in an OC who took OC and QB coach and gave this guy passing coordinator title.

Can he be good I hope so, but I’m betting money on it considering it’s his first time calling Plays and it’s for Pete who will probably challenge his calls often

sutz

Reaction score
Momofantv":1to6mxqy said:
This dude was demoted this year, he was QB coach they brought in an OC who took OC and QB coach and gave this guy passing coordinator title.

Can he be good I hope so, but I’m betting money on it considering it’s his first time calling Plays and it’s for Pete who will probably challenge his calls often
Demoted? I'm pretty sure that coordinator is a senior title to coach.

YaktownHawK

Reaction score
I like this, here is an article I found.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/01/31 ... ean-mcvay/

Waldron owns the distinction of being the only member of both the McVay and Belichick coaching trees. He got his start under Belichick, spending five years with the organization in two different stints. He’s now the passing game coordinator for the Rams, one of the league’s most explosive aerial attacks.

“Shane’s been awesome,” Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. “He brings his own flavor. He’s a tremendous tight ends coach as well as a great coordinator, a guy to help us scheme up stuff. He’s such a good communicator. He’s able to convey what he’s trying to say in many different ways to many different people.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
After we heard terrible retread names like Gase, Lombardi and Lynn floated out there, I'm happy with literally anyone else.

I don't claim to know the first thing about Waldron, but the fact that he's a QB/Passing coach tells me Pete's at least listening to Russell and others about trying to become a little more dynamic with offensive schemes and playcalling.

So we'll see.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
When I think of the things the Rams do creatively and the idea that we might see some of those things now, I am very positive on this hire. Specifically things like play action and moving the QB around in the pocket. Using that play action to effectively use your tight ends in the passing game, more motion etc. I know that we aren't necessarily getting a McVey clone but has to be someone who wants to use similar concepts.

Optimistic too that it shows Pete might be willing to look at something new. When Scottenheimer was hired he was criticised cause he ran the a traditional run - first offence. Nothing innovative about it. A hire like Lynn would have been similar - more of the same. And words can't do justice to how discouraging it was to hear Adam Gase was in the mix. I like seeing someone new like this with fresh ideas get a chance.

ducks41468

Reaction score
YaktownHawK":3q7kewwv said:
I like this, here is an article I found.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/01/31 ... ean-mcvay/

Waldron owns the distinction of being the only member of both the McVay and Belichick coaching trees. He got his start under Belichick, spending five years with the organization in two different stints. He’s now the passing game coordinator for the Rams, one of the league’s most explosive aerial attacks.

“Shane’s been awesome,” Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. “He brings his own flavor. He’s a tremendous tight ends coach as well as a great coordinator, a guy to help us scheme up stuff. He’s such a good communicator. He’s able to convey what he’s trying to say in many different ways to many different people.”

Pretty significant departure from Bevell and Schotty, who were underwhelming hires right off the bat. This gives me hope

chris98251

Reaction score
Passing game Coordinator and previous TE coach among things he has done, he probably has worked with RB's and O line also, most guys that get to the OC title have put in the work with position coaching.

So I would not run off the cliff with a guy who's latest title had passing in it.

What we can hope is that he does get the TE's more involved and use them.

Again we need to build a WALL between Pete and the OC, play to win from the first snap, not get to the 4th quarter to have a chance.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
When I think of best offenses in the league the Rams are not high on my 'must see' list. They didn't get where they got due to their offense, and their offensive success was not overly noticeable due to anything they did in their passing game. We DID get to where we got due mostly to our offense.
I'm hoping for the best but worried we are, once again, going to come up short of the sticks.
The big thing is the Rams are losing a TON of their staff from this year. It will be interesting who they get to replace Waldron.

James in PA

Reaction score
I hope he made it crystal clear to Pete that he is not in favor of wasting possessions “feeling the other team out” and instead wants to score points early and often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kf3339

Reaction score
I am somewhat optimistic about our new OC. He meets some of my expectations, but the main one (PC being hands off) is a major question mark. Did he advocate with PC to allow him the control needed to really build an effective game plan each week, and needed in-game adjustments? Can he incorporate a balanced running game along with an explosive passing attack? Will he be truly creative in his play calling to keep the other team's defense off balance?

It's just hard to say right now. I hope so, but then again we are talking about PC hanging over him and messing things up. So to me it's a wait and see.