Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawks worst free agent signings ever (1 submission per post)

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I'll start it off...

    The original worst Hawk fa signing

    Nate Odomes

    Never played a down

    Next???
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3057
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 am


  • Eddie Lacy has to be up there - buffet style!!
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 1881
    Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:14 pm


  • Franco Harris

    :pukeface:
    jman316
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 399
    Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:46 am
    Location: Section 316, front row


  • Some of those Oline from years past. Thankfully I can't remember their names besides O'day Aboushi.
    For the purpose of this thread I'll have to say Cary Williams and be completely disappointed by all the names I see follow mine.
    The Breh
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 425
    Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:58 pm


  • Jerry Rice, wearing Largents number.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1676
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


  • Cary Williams.

    My dad is a hardcore Ravens fan and prior to us getting him, I could recall far too many instances of my dad cursing his name for his garbage play costing baltimore leads and even games. I was shocked when we handed him a boatload of cash and brought him in. It was one of the very few times that I questioned the FO's judgement ... the dude was hot garbage and literally did zero while he was with us, except give up yards at a 10 spot clip.

    Hot

    Garbage.
    keasley45
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 339
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 pm
    Location: Cockeysville, Md


  • Ryan Leaf
    Spohawks
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 9
    Joined: Sun May 02, 2021 11:44 pm


  • TJ Houshmandzadeh
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 am
    Location: Bremerton, WA


  • Blair Walsh
    Hawks 'n Nucks
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:17 am


  • Luke Joeckel

    The guy just couldn't play, absolute turnstyle. Usually I don't mind the FO taking a flyer on a cast-off that hasn't lived up to their draft potential, but I think we paid Luke Joeckel significant money.
    hinton
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 133
    Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:50 am


  • Tie, Drew Nowak and the aforementioned Cary Williams
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8035
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:TJ Houshmandzadeh



    You beat me to it Dan!


    So...I'll go Greg Olsen..

    Great player...just too $ and about 5 years too late
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2143
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 am
    Location: Utah


  • Nate Odomes w/out a doubt. Came in with huge expectations.
    Almost went with Brandon Marshall.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17327
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • seabowl wrote:I'll start it off...

    The original worst Hawk fa signing

    Nate Odomes

    Never played a down

    Next???
    Damn, stole mine! Nate Odomes is always my go-to when it comes to this topic. So, along those same lines, I’ll go Phillip Dorsett.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1888
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm


  • James in PA wrote:
    seabowl wrote:I'll start it off...

    The original worst Hawk fa signing

    Nate Odomes

    Never played a down

    Next???
    Damn, stole mine! Nate Odomes is always my go-to when it comes to this topic. So, along those same lines, I’ll go Phillip Dorsett.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Only geezer Hawk fans like myself would remember this unfortunate signing. He was really good too but never played for us.

    Since this is technically another post I'll add another one...

    Matt Flynn
    (damn that Russell Wilson ruined this guys Seahawk career)
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3057
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 am


  • Sidney Rice was pretty bad. Signed a 41 million dollar deal and played less than 10 games 4 out of the 5 seasons he was here.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2879
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


  • I have to agree that Carey Williams. not only was he a complete flop, I think he was the sole reason for the Kam Chancellor holdout and started the deterioration of the team chemistry.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner
     
    Posts: 5261
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:38 am
    Location: Renton, WA


  • TJ Houshmandzadeh

    Slow receiver. Bad signing.
    Another brilliant move by Jim Mora Jr.

    The front office taking him on a helicopter ride before signing him made me puke in my mouth.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3878
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • LS Boone Stutz.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6500
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Julius Jones for secondary reasons.

    His signing seemed to preclude taking advantage of a historic draft for RBs.

    But . . .it is not like Ruskell would have ever drafted a running back from Tulane, anyway.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6182
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • sdog1981 wrote:Sidney Rice was pretty bad. Signed a 41 million dollar deal and played less than 10 games 4 out of the 5 seasons he was here.



    Umm he played 33 games in 3 seasons and had some pretty amazing catches like this one:

    Image
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 638
    Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 am


  • Dan Saleaumua. Came over the Seahawks from the Chiefs and he did not like it here. Also really didn't do all that much but be really fat.
    Slick
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1291
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:52 am
    Location: Woodinville, WA


  • SeaWolv wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Sidney Rice was pretty bad. Signed a 41 million dollar deal and played less than 10 games 4 out of the 5 seasons he was here.



    Umm he played 33 games in 3 seasons and had some pretty amazing catches like this one:

    Image

    That one catch has fans remembering Rice as a lot better than he was. Fewer than 100 catches in three years, just 12 TDs, hurt frequently... not in contention for our worst ever, but he was undeniably a free agent bust.

    Shocked to see he's still only 34 though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6500
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • How about Phillip Dorsett?Did nothing but we had to hear about how close
    he was to playing all year.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6039
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • Blair Walsh. Terrible they went with him instead hauschka.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 614
    Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:12 am
    Location: Long Island, NY


  • DJrmb wrote:Jerry Rice, wearing Largents number.


    This for exactly that reason.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3264
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:38 pm


  • Odomes then Harvin.
    Northhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 383
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 am
    Location: North Vancouver


  • Northhawk wrote:Odomes then Harvin.

    Was Harvin technically a free agent signing? I thought we traded for him?
    PNW
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:26 pm


  • TJ Housmanzadah by far. I could go on but we only get one.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5170
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


  • Julius jones was a disaster that I saw coming and pissed me off to no end...

    Greg Olsen is another useless ass player we signed when we had other pressing needs
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 22195
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA


  • Odomes, by far.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 35610
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • DJrmb wrote:Jerry Rice, wearing Largents number.


    That was a trade, not a signing.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7403
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Mike Wahle for me with some recency bias.

    Thought he would return to form and replace Hutch.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3397
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm


  • Rat wrote:
    SeaWolv wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Sidney Rice was pretty bad. Signed a 41 million dollar deal and played less than 10 games 4 out of the 5 seasons he was here.



    Umm he played 33 games in 3 seasons and had some pretty amazing catches like this one:

    Image

    That one catch has fans remembering Rice as a lot better than he was. Fewer than 100 catches in three years, just 12 TDs, hurt frequently... not in contention for our worst ever, but he was undeniably a free agent bust.

    Shocked to see he's still only 34 though.


    Rice had 97 catches during the 2011 - 2013 seasons. For that same time period Doug Baldwin had 130 catches. I'm not saying he's RIng of Honor but he wasn't the biggest dud Seatte's ever had, as you stated, and really shouldn't be in this thread considering all the FA busts this franchise has had over the years.

    More Rice:

    Image
    Image
    Image
    Image
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 638
    Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 am


  • Matt Flynn was pretty bad. QBs are hard and the team was trying.

    Nothing like a little Russell Wilson to paper over that one.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2734
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


  • IDK if we were supposed to have high hopes on him but Mike Williams did not do a whole lot
    seahawks-in-qc
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 53
    Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 am


  • Hard to choose just one but just for the abomination of the jersey number alone it's Jerry Rice for me.

    To be fair it was Bob Whitsitt that created the awkward phone call where Largent, being the classy man that he is, reluctantly agreed to let Rice wear the number. However, Rice simply should have said thank you but out of respect I will wear a different number.

    PS sdog, whatchoo smokin' on adding Sidney Rice to this convo? Dude was a flat out BALLER for us.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14989
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:Hard to choose just one but just for the abomination of the jersey number alone it's Jerry Rice for me.

    To be fair it was Bob Whitsitt that created the awkward phone call where Largent, being the classy man that he is, reluctantly agreed to let Rice wear the number. However, Rice simply should have said thank you but out of respect I will wear a different number.

    PS sdog, whatchoo smokin' on adding Sidney Rice to this convo? Dude was a flat out BALLER for us.


    Jerry was a trade for a seventh rounder he never met the conditions of. It sounded like he would have been fine wearing a different number, as he did for the Broncos, but like you said, Whitsitt created an awkward situation for them.

    I think you're overrating Sidney too, but I've already addressed that in this thread. A few peak moments prevent him from being an all-time bust, but we got nowhere near our moneys worth from him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6500
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • I'll nominate Rickey Watters. He was expensive, got holes you could drive a truck through, and still fell down after 5 yards because he couldn't get up to speed before getting decleated by a stiff breeze.

    I don't know how many times I saw him on the ground with acres of daylight in front of him pounding the ball on the ground in frustration. Every time I was like, "I know how you feel"...
    Own The West
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 553
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm


  • bmorepunk wrote:Matt Flynn was pretty bad. QBs are hard and the team was trying.

    Nothing like a little Russell Wilson to paper over that one.


    The contract yes was pretty bad but I could argue that without Flynn on board, teams would be wary of the Seahawks going QB in that draft, remember it was a big deal that we drafted Wilson at all because of the contract we gave Flynn, and it’s possible that one of Wagner or Wilson would not be Seahawks if let’s say Seahawks drafted Wilson in the 2nd or we got Wagner and teams jumped ahead of us in 3rd Round knowing we might take a QB.

    Flynn might of been a bad signing but he was instrumental distraction in kind allowing the Seahawks to make that 2012 draft what it was.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3397
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm


  • Jamie Sharper
    BuffaloHawk
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 93
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:19 pm


  • Robert Gallery. Dude was paid a healthy amount of money. He looked bad before he was signed. He looked bad after he was signed. Was just pure robbery.
    Zybot
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 130
    Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:28 pm


  • Zybot wrote:Robert Gallery. Dude was paid a healthy amount of money. He looked bad before he was signed. He looked bad after he was signed. Was just pure robbery.


    He was here to teach Cables system, he succeeded and we are still recovering.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 35610
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Own The West wrote:I'll nominate Rickey Watters. He was expensive, got holes you could drive a truck through, and still fell down after 5 yards because he couldn't get up to speed before getting decleated by a stiff breeze.

    I don't know how many times I saw him on the ground with acres of daylight in front of him pounding the ball on the ground in frustration. Every time I was like, "I know how you feel"...


    LOL, oh, .NET. :34853_doh:

    I loved Ricky Watters! Played every down like it was the last play of the Super Bowl. Were we even watching the same team?!?
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14989
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Aros wrote:
    Own The West wrote:I'll nominate Rickey Watters. He was expensive, got holes you could drive a truck through, and still fell down after 5 yards because he couldn't get up to speed before getting decleated by a stiff breeze.

    I don't know how many times I saw him on the ground with acres of daylight in front of him pounding the ball on the ground in frustration. Every time I was like, "I know how you feel"...


    LOL, oh, .NET. :34853_doh:

    I loved Ricky Watters! Played every down like it was the last play of the Super Bowl. Were we even watching the same team?!?



    Really trying to figure out who he was watching, Watters had an initial first step and acceleration that was exceptional, what he did get at some point was Gator Arms in Philly before he came here from a QB that would throw him into a would be tackler. Can't blame the man for that, needing a seamstress on the sidelines to reattach your head does take a while to get over.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 35610
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • DJrmb wrote:Jerry Rice, wearing Largents number.

    I agree. I have always thought it was bush league to ask Largent to wear his retired number.
    Largent showed class by allowing it.
    tom95
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 121
    Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:29 pm
    Location: Southwest Washington


  • chris98251 wrote:
    Aros wrote:
    Own The West wrote:I'll nominate Rickey Watters. He was expensive, got holes you could drive a truck through, and still fell down after 5 yards because he couldn't get up to speed before getting decleated by a stiff breeze.

    I don't know how many times I saw him on the ground with acres of daylight in front of him pounding the ball on the ground in frustration. Every time I was like, "I know how you feel"...


    LOL, oh, .NET. :34853_doh:

    I loved Ricky Watters! Played every down like it was the last play of the Super Bowl. Were we even watching the same team?!?



    Really trying to figure out who he was watching, Watters had an initial first step and acceleration that was exceptional, what he did get at some point was Gator Arms in Philly before he came here from a QB that would throw him into a would be tackler. Can't blame the man for that, needing a seamstress on the sidelines to reattach your head does take a while to get over.



    Waters had over 1200 yards rushing his first three seasons with the team until he was replaced by Shaun Alexander.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2879
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


  • seahawks-in-qc wrote:IDK if we were supposed to have high hopes on him but Mike Williams did not do a whole lot


    Interesting take...you must have missed the 2010 season when he had 65 receptions for 751 yards (he led the team). I agree with you he didn't do anything after that. He was fantastic his first year with Seahawks.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8035
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    seahawks-in-qc wrote:IDK if we were supposed to have high hopes on him but Mike Williams did not do a whole lot


    Interesting take...you must have missed the 2010 season when he had 65 receptions for 751 yards (he led the team). I agree with you he didn't do anything after that. He was fantastic his first year with Seahawks.

    Guess you can argue that his second contract was a bust.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6500
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • tom95 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:Jerry Rice, wearing Largents number.

    I agree. I have always thought it was bush league to ask Largent to wear his retired number.
    Largent showed class by allowing it.


    Again, not a signing, it was a trade. And I defend Rice. He was not expecting to wear 80, he knew it was retired. It was that $h!t Bob Whitsitt that organized that $h!t.

    https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/how-bob-whitsitt-tricked-steve-largent-giving-jerry-rice-seahawks-no-80

    Rice is unfairly maligned by a lot of Hawk fans. Dude doesn't deserve it, and Largent and he have talked it out since.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7403
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Next


It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online