Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Astros stealing signs

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Astros stealing signs
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:07 pm
  • If they aren't going to be punished, make them wear a big special cheater patch on their jersey like a scarlet letter, so that it can be transferred from uniform to uniform, wherever they go.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:44 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Image

Interesting. The plot thickens.

Yeah Trout on PED but it's legal for him..
    :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:
    Astro's best players wearing electronic devices under uniforms
    :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:
    You know the M's got screwed out of the playoffs by some
    of those Astro wins that season..Just saying
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:52 am
  • This whole thing has me so pissed off. The mariners completely blew up their whole team knowing they couldn’t get past the Astros. Remember they barely missed the postseason a couple seasons which could have ended the longest postseason drought in American sports. We play division opponents on average 16-18 games a year. So all of those games they were probably getting cheated and if we weren’t we probably get in as a wildcard.

I just watched a bunch of highlights on YouTube from Mariners vs Astros games from seasons past to last season and you can clearly hear all of their b.s. whistling and bangs on their trashcan. Felix getting absolutely torched same with Paxton and the rest of our pitchers.

Here are some videos to show their blatant cheating and it is much easier to hear if you are wearing headphones.

First video NSFW. Shows how they bang on the trash can.

This video shows their whistling against many teams including the Mariners later in the video.

Take away their damn championship.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:16 am
  • Here is another one.

86Hawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 am
  • At this point I don't see how MLB doesn't strip them of their title. They need to make a giant example of them about this, or something similar will happen again.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:53 am
  • I was listening to schein on sports the other day and he was saying how this has attributed to the downfall of careers like Kershaw Darvish and a few others not to mention two titles taken away from the Dodgers. The mlb really need to strike these pennant wins from the record and just award no winner for those years.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:06 am
  • I didnt even think about the effect on Kershaw and Darvish, their postseasons against the Astros likely cost them millions of dollars.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am
  • Every person involved should be banned.

and how the hell do they look at themselves their family or anyone without feeling shamed?

Just awful.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:08 pm
  • ..but yet Pete Rose cant get in the hof.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm
  • Alex Wood was onto them in the 2017 WS, that's why he changed up his signs every 8-10 pitches and gave up only 1 hit in 7.2 innings pitched.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:18 pm
  • I have no issue with coaches and players stealing signs without technology. Every team tries to do it especially with a man on second base. But it sure looked like Altuve was wearing a device. Crazy
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:37 pm
  • MLB has got a huge scandal on their hands. More stuff is going to come out.
    The players involved need to be suspended for a substantial period of time and the Astros need to have their title stripped.

Looking at and hearing the video, the umpires have to do a better job at putting a stop to the sounds that are un-natural (see banging of garbage can or bat rack).
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:47 pm
  • I read some @$$h0le post on Imgur that it didn't matter that they cheated because they were still the most talented roster. I asked him, "Then why did they need to cheat?" The response I got? "They had to keep up with the other teams cheating."

JFC.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:22 pm
  • I really wonder if the MLB with do anything significant about this if it truly is a league wide issue.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm
  • Guess there is some damning evidence concerning the Redsox as well.. they are next.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm
  • Counter point to potential titles being stripped, as more news comes out. This may have been going on at a level using technology since the 80s. And In 2017, when they began executing this scheme, the Astros improved their team hitting for average by a miniscule .035 points — 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1116011
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:59 pm
  • Hmmmm. Looking at team stats between 2016 and 2017, the Houston batting average for the team jumped from .247 to .282.

That's a pretty big jump IMO.

Edit: That's going from 24th (2016) to 1st (2017) in the league.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:23 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Hmmmm. Looking at team stats between 2016 and 2017, the Houston batting average for the team jumped from .247 to .282.

Article above says. 035...

So which is it?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Hmmmm. Looking at team stats between 2016 and 2017, the Houston batting average for the team jumped from .247 to .282.

Article above says. 035...

So which is it?

Math is your friend.

.247 + .035 = .282

.035 is huge for a whole team.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm
  • I hate math...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:19 am
  • Wow I just had a total change of mind. I honestly don't care the "astros were stealing signs" since teams always try to do that its part of the game. Hitters still gotta hit. Hell. give batters an ear piece. I don't care. Defensive players in the NFL can have an ear piece. This whole thing is a joke blown out of proportion by the media (mainly NY and LA fans in the media).

btw Kershaw has always been mediocre in the playoffs. To blame one team "cheating" or not for his struggles is rather silly.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:08 am
  • I have four issues with cheating. One, rules are rules and "everyone does it" and "teams/players have been doing it since..." do not make it OK. Two, cheating robs other teams/players who play ethically of potential accomplishments, and in turn, robs the fans, the team's city, and the sport. Three, it tells our youth that cheating is OK if you don't get caught. And four, if the league fails to discipline teams/players who cheat, is there any point to following the sport anymore?
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:25 am
  • Ban every team caught cheating from the postseason for 5 years, hold a cheater draft and the worst teams in the league get to pick their roster apart and the cheating team still has to pay the contracts.

Let's see teams cheat after that.
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm
  • First it was Houston, now going to Boston, then the NY Mets team. It seems to be only beginning the scandal. Dodgers that played and lost to the World Series to Astros and Red Sox. Deserves to have those titles reinstated!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:01 pm
  • Passepartout wrote:First it was Houston, now going to Boston, then the NY Mets team. It seems to be only beginning the scandal. Dodgers that played and lost to the World Series to Astros and Red Sox. Deserves to have those titles reinstated!

Nope. They didn’t win them. Just vacate the title(s).
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:00 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Before I had my first drum set at age six I pounded on metal TV trays. I cheated?....Stupid ridiculous implications.

This aged well. 8)
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:01 am
  • lol low blow...
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:30 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Altuve denies he wore a buzzer.........

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/us/astro ... index.html

The awesome thing about it is that Altuve could not have been wearing a buzzer, but, the overwhelming amount of evidence against the team means that no one will believe him.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:33 am
  • Crizilla wrote:Wow I just had a total change of mind. I honestly don't care the "astros were stealing signs" since teams always try to do that its part of the game. Hitters still gotta hit. Hell. give batters an ear piece. I don't care. Defensive players in the NFL can have an ear piece. This whole thing is a joke blown out of proportion by the media (mainly NY and LA fans in the media).

btw Kershaw has always been mediocre in the playoffs. To blame one team "cheating" or not for his struggles is rather silly.

I think both things can be true. Kershaw clearly blows in the postseason, and the Astros cheated enough to advance farther than they should have, thus stealing two pennants and a WS title.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:14 am
  • Seahaaaawks wrote:lol low blow...

SIGH
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 am
  • Threedee wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Altuve denies he wore a buzzer.........

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/us/astro ... index.html

The awesome thing about it is that Altuve could not have been wearing a buzzer, but, the overwhelming amount of evidence against the team means that no one will believe him.

There was a thing where he told his teamates not to rip his shirt off after
    scoring the winning run in WS..
    A reporter said he went to a private area to take top off when all he was
    doing was putting a Championship shirt over the shirt he had on under
    the Uniform..So why the need to hide?
    Anyway that team BA jump speaks volumes..Disgusting :pukeface:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:40 pm
  • Seahaaaawks wrote:lol low blow...

I LOL'ed.

I was so pumped about the Mariners last season... 13-2 and bought tix to the Friday night game vs Houston and they were blown out and swept.

The snowball effect started with me going to that game. This year I'm not going to any Mariners games. Hopefully they'll do better than 1-18 vs the Astros like last year.

As for the sign stealing... I think the punishments are appropriate. Can't really punish the players because nobody knows who and to what extent... and sign stealing has always been a part of baseball. Punish the GM and manager for knowing about it and not doing anything about it which has been done.

Still don't get why though... the Astros are stacked but anything for an edge it seems...
    FalconsFanNW
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm
  • FalconsFanNW wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:lol low blow...

I LOL'ed.

I was so pumped about the Mariners last season... 13-2 and bought tix to the Friday night game vs Houston and they were blown out and swept.

The snowball effect started with me going to that game. This year I'm not going to any Mariners games. Hopefully they'll do better than 1-18 vs the Astros like last year.

As for the sign stealing... I think the punishments are appropriate. Can't really punish the players because nobody knows who and to what extent... and sign stealing has always been a part of baseball. Punish the GM and manager for knowing about it and not doing anything about it which has been done.

Still don't get why though... the Astros are stacked but anything for an edge it seems...

I don't understand how anyone can be optimistic during another Mariners false start. I am in a constant state of expectation that they will, inevitably, drop the other shoe.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:45 pm
  • IMO that entire roster/coaching staff/FO is guilty because everyone who was even allowed in/around the dugout was complicit with what was going on. You're telling me a bunch of adult men just didn't ask twice about garbage cans/whistles constantly making noise in the dugout during games and at-bats? It's an absolute joke.

Vacate titles or the punishment is virtually non-existent.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:35 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:IMO that entire roster/coaching staff/FO is guilty because everyone who was even allowed in/around the dugout was complicit with what was going on. You're telling me a bunch of adult men just didn't ask twice about garbage cans/whistles constantly making noise in the dugout during games and at-bats? It's an absolute joke.

The whole thing is $h!t.. and honestly, to the degree they've done it, they should be reprimanded very harshly. The problem I have with vacating titles is who gets them? Wouldn't all the teams the Astros beat to get to the Dodgers say "well, if they didn't cheat, we would've been there?"
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:IMO that entire roster/coaching staff/FO is guilty because everyone who was even allowed in/around the dugout was complicit with what was going on. You're telling me a bunch of adult men just didn't ask twice about garbage cans/whistles constantly making noise in the dugout during games and at-bats? It's an absolute joke.

The whole thing is $h!t.. and honestly, to the degree they've done it, they should be reprimanded very harshly. The problem I have with vacating titles is who gets them? Wouldn't all the teams the Astros beat to get to the Dodgers say "well, if they didn't cheat, we would've been there?"

A simple asterisk stating title vacated is sufficient enough. I dont think you can award it to the Dodgers but no way Houston should have their name attached to this .
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:45 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:IMO that entire roster/coaching staff/FO is guilty because everyone who was even allowed in/around the dugout was complicit with what was going on. You're telling me a bunch of adult men just didn't ask twice about garbage cans/whistles constantly making noise in the dugout during games and at-bats? It's an absolute joke.

A simple asterisk stating title vacated is sufficient enough. I dont think you can award it to the Dodgers but no way Houston should have their name attached to this .

I'm with ya Si, I don't think you can give it to the Dodgers, etc. I think what Cyrus said, just vacating titles, would be "enough," but IMO it's still not enough.

Let's send Houston to the moon.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:

No one would get the vacated titles. You just have the words “vacated title” with an asterisk in the record book and a footnote explaining why the title was vacated. This would put a stop to this level of cheating.

I also would like to see the players involved to be suspended for a substantial period of time with no pay. I don’t see the this happening as they seemed to have given the players immunity for their testimony with MLB investigators.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I dont think even the teams shorted in all this want to see an entire season "vacated" because one team cheated though. I wonder what say the owners have in all this.

That video of them cheating IN the World Series over the Dodgers is just insane.

It's also crazy that in 2017, the Houston Astros had to resort to whistling and banging garbage cans to send messages to players. I saw more ingenuity from the kids in Sandlot trying to get that ball back.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:09 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:

LA City Council passed a resolution today asking MLB to award the '17 and '18 WS titles to the Dodgers.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... es-dodgers
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:44 pm
  • Usually when a title is vacated, it goes to nobody. History books would show no championship in those seasons.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:58 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Usually when a title is vacated, it goes to nobody. History books would show no championship in those seasons.

When has this happened in a major sport? Genuinely curious. College football?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:09 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Usually when a title is vacated, it goes to nobody. History books would show no championship in those seasons.

It happened to USC's 2004 BCS title, and Louisville's 2013 national championship in basketball. Those are the only championships I can think of that was vacated.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Usually when a title is vacated, it goes to nobody. History books would show no championship in those seasons.

Not sure if it’s happened in professional sports. As Maul mentioned it’s happened in college a couple of times.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:13 am
  • It sets a bad precedent if the Astros are still reveered as champions for those seasons. They have to acknowledge the scandal somehow...show some balls unlike the NFL did with the Patriots.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm
  • Sounds like MLB is not going to strip Houston of their World Series titles.
    Game On! All of the teams might as well cheat now. It’s worth it even if you get caught as
    Long as you can keep the championship. MLB simply wants this to go away....... it won’t.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Sounds like MLB is not going to strip Houston of their World Series titles.
    Game On! All of the teams might as well cheat now. It’s worth it even if you get caught as
    Long as you can keep the championship. MLB simply wants this to go away....... it won’t.

Yeah I think you're right. I think Manfred is dropping the ball here. He should be dropping the hammer instead.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:10 pm
  • If they don’t vacate the title and you’re a pitcher on an affected team, you bean the players in their lineup that cheated. Just one bean ball a game so the league doesn’t do anything. Switch up who you hit and the inning when you throw it. A few games into the season and their batters will catch on and wonder “Am I next? When is it coming?”

The more info that comes out about this, the more it enrages me as a fan.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:18 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:It sets a bad precedent if the Astros are still reveered as champions for those seasons. They have to acknowledge the scandal somehow...show some balls unlike the NFL did with the Patriots.

And if they don't, down goes the revenue -- fans want real outcomes, not manufactured ones.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information