#1 Position of need?

What is the most important position that needs to be addressed this offseason?

• CB (We can't afford Maxi and Lane & Simon are big ?'s)

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • DT (Mebane, Hill, and Scruggs all coming off injury and KWill is one yr older)

Votes: 40 18.6%
  • OL (Protect our Franchise QB)

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • TE (Miller injury prone, Wilson drop prone)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • WR (Give Wilson a big weapon who can play like Mathews did in the SB, every game)

Votes: 102 47.4%
  • KR/PR (We sorely missed Tate in the return game this season)

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":4ii2oc1s said:
I'm not buying DT as a major need. We were hit with a perfect storm in 2014. Scruggs, Marsh and WIlliams went down early, but they were only depth players. But when Mebane then Hill went down, and there was no depth behind them, we were in trouble.

5 season ending injuries to our top 7 DT's . . . You can't prepare for that. You can't draft for that.

On the flipside, I look at WR and OL and I see legit concerns right at the top all the way to the bottom of the roster.

But you should be . . . Our interior pressure was pitiful this year, which led to a dearth of sacks, despite pretty consistent outside pressure from Avril/Bennett.

McDaniel may need to be released to save $3 million. His production has dropped off and he has passed the age threshold where we may need to replace him with a young/cheaper player.

Kevin Williams may or may not decide to return this season. He's a one-year rental at best.

Hill had a great six-game stretch before his injury, but he needs to show that he can be a consistent run stopper as well as stay healthy. Marsh, Williams, and Scruggs have done nothing so far. I hope Mebane returns . . . even if does, they will need to draft a future replacement in case he is not re-signed after this season.

For those reasons, DT is a big need this off-season.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2015":27oq0l3k said:
McGruff":27oq0l3k said:
I'm not buying DT as a major need. We were hit with a perfect storm in 2014. Scruggs, Marsh and WIlliams went down early, but they were only depth players. But when Mebane then Hill went down, and there was no depth behind them, we were in trouble.

5 season ending injuries to our top 7 DT's . . . You can't prepare for that. You can't draft for that.

On the flipside, I look at WR and OL and I see legit concerns right at the top all the way to the bottom of the roster.

But you should be . . . Our interior pressure was pitiful this year, which led to a dearth of sacks, despite pretty consistent outside pressure from Avril/Bennett.

McDaniel may need to be released to save $3 million. His production has dropped off and he has passed the age threshold where we may need to replace him with a young/cheaper player.

Kevin Williams may or may not decide to return this season. He's a one-year rental at best.

Hill had a great six-game stretch before his injury, but he needs to show that he can be a consistent run stopper as well as stay healthy. I hope Mebane returns . . . even if does, they will need to draft a future replacement in case he is not re-signed after this season.

For those reasons, DT is a big need this off-season.

Our interior pressure was dismal due to injuries. Marsh, Scruggs and Hill are all interior pass rushers. Hill was coming on strong. Marsh looked great in preseason . . . All were out by the end of the year.

I'm not saying its not a need. But take a look at the DT's under contract for 2015. That's all I have to go on . . .

Tony McDaniel
Jordan Hill
Jesse Williams
Brandon Mebane
Cassius Marsh
David King
Jimmy Staten

If things stay the way they are, no changes, we've got a solid top 4 rotations with McD, Mebane, Hill and Marsh. Add Bennett in there at time. I thinks that's a great rotation. Much better than what we are rolling out at WR and OL.

I'd like to add another true NT behind Mebane.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Pass Catchers, and it's not even close IMO.

I say this, because without injuries (sans Paul Richardson), this group is awful. RW had so much time in the Super Bowl and these guys couldn't do much of anything. Not to mention, for every "great play," there seems to be several routine ones that are not made. I like Baldwin, but he's a slot WR. Kearse is a really nice #4 WR. BUT, you absolutely cannot have those 2 be your main guys. We absolutely need someone with elite size or speed that makes the opposing defense account for them. Contrary to popular belief, I think if we get a major perimeter threat, you will see the OL improve because defenses simply can't load the box, because quite frankly, they aren't worried about our current WRs beating them.

Acquire a perimeter guy who threatens a defense with size or speed (or a combo of both). And, acquire a guy who can move the chains on 3rd down (thinking TE). I think if you get those 2 pieces, this offense will be in the top 2-4 in DVOA.

Yes, our DL suffered, but that was a result of a freak number of injuries. You can't be spending premium draft capital on guys who are insurance policies to insurance policies. Yes, I wish we had Pro Bowlers backing up Pro Bowlers, but that's just not reality.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I think OT is the biggest need. They desperately need someone to develop behind Okung and to push Britt. If they get a player good enough, they may even be able to move Britt inside to LG. Overall, the offensive line was once again the weakest aspect of the team and will need to be addressed in a serious way this off-season. The status quo isn't good enough for this position group.

Carpenter isn't worth more than a million dollars a year. If Bailey takes over for Carpenter, that creates two problems. #1 Bailey is not a strong run blocker. #2 That leaves us with only one backup OT: former TE Garry Gilliam.

LTH

Reaction score
McGruff":yl2jd8xv said:

You're right it was the perfect storm and you cant draft for that...but its a credit to JS as the guys that stepped up did a great job considering the circumstances...

LTH

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I think whoever said the emphasis should be on depth is, for the most part, correct. If our current guys can successfully come back from injury then we're already in pretty good shape. That said, we need at least one more difference maker at DT or WR. I think we can get by with solid low-cost addition to OL if Carpenter walks. I believe Richardson will eventually become a good KR, but having to keep a 6th WR for a PR is painful, so versatility there is a really big need.

Make no mistake (not that any of you really are) this draft is perhaps a bit more important this year than others (and I get that it is important every year) due to contracts and uncertainty concerning injuries. It's great to have depth players, but we need some standouts or guys who can really up the competition.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with McGruff that DT is not a major need with the guys that are already here. I think DE is though and it was obvious after Avril went down in the 4th Q that the team couldn't figure a way to get pressure on Brady. To me the depth is too thin @ DE and will be worse if the the team loses Schofield. This draft offers a good selection of both DE and DT at various points in the draft and I'd expect to see the team add a rookie NT for depth and a DE pass rusher comparatively early.

After that there will be a need for depth at OG, OC, S, CB, TE and WR and PR/KR. The wildcard would be what happens if Lynch decides to retire.

McGruff

Reaction score
Kinda Surprised DE isn't higher on the list. You've got Avril. You've got Bennett . . . and then?

Throwdown

Reaction score
TE/WR

We need a threat at WR, but if I gotta watch Luke Willson drop the ball I'm gonna go insane

Frozenropers

Reaction score
McGruff":1t1d0p14 said:
Kinda Surprised DE isn't higher on the list. You've got Avril. You've got Bennett . . . and then?

Agreed! I think RDE (LEO) is probably our biggest need. As you note, we have Bennett and Avril on early downs and then Bennett slides inside on passing downs and we have Avril and ????? I think we need to find us an new pass rushing LEO and get that line back to taking down QB's!

I would put WR/TE as second on the list. Oline, (LG) in particular, third.

:thirishdrinkers:

Seafan

Reaction score
We need a #1 WR and a #2 WR. We have a bunch of #4s and one #3. We need better WRs badly.

Rat

Reaction score
Jermaine Kearse was a starter on this team this past season. I think that's all anyone needs to know to answer this question.

timmat

Reaction score
I say O line all day long. There have been stretches in 2013 and 2014 there the O line play was terrible. We have the only RB/QB combination in the league that can be productive with poor O line play. But that won't last. We've had issues sustaining drives, and at the end of the season, our D was on the field way too much of the time.

Do a better job of controlling the O line of scrimmage, control the ball better, and keep the D fresh. In my opinion, O line play influences both sides of the ball for your team unlike any other unit.

Look at the 2005 team. Average defense, but O line controlled the games. Imagine this D unit if it was fresher. Makes a big difference in the 4th Q and especially later in the season.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The O-line has to be solidified before any WR will look anything like a "#1 WR"

Guys like Okung, Unger, and Carp look good when healthy but give me a less talented guy that stays on the field any day of the week over guys that are hurt year in and year out. You've got to have talent on the O-line to be good, yes, but just about as important is Continuity.

BTW in case anyone forgot, we are a run first team... WR, #1 need? Really?

Rat

Reaction score
DJrmb":3hai3hls said:
The O-line has to be solidified before any WR will look anything like a "#1 WR"

Guys like Okung, Unger, and Carp look good when healthy but give me a less talented guy that stays on the field any day of the week over guys that are hurt year in and year out. You've got to have talent on the O-line to be good, yes, but just about as important is Continuity.

BTW in case anyone forgot, we are a run first team... WR, #1 need? Really?

Someone is really into NFL platitudes. All this post is missing is something about games being won in the trenches.