#1 Position of need?

What is the most important position that needs to be addressed this offseason?

• CB (We can't afford Maxi and Lane & Simon are big ?'s)

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • DT (Mebane, Hill, and Scruggs all coming off injury and KWill is one yr older)

Votes: 40 18.6%
  • OL (Protect our Franchise QB)

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • TE (Miller injury prone, Wilson drop prone)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • WR (Give Wilson a big weapon who can play like Mathews did in the SB, every game)

Votes: 102 47.4%
  • KR/PR (We sorely missed Tate in the return game this season)

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
We saw in the SB and during some of the late season games that Wilson is eager to exploit matchups. Even the dreadful final play of the season was an attempt to exploit a matchup.

When a 6'4" Matthews owned a matchup versus a 5'10 DB, Wilson kept going to that well. When Luke Willson owned a matchup vs. a slow ass LB, Wilson kept going back to that well.

The problem is, Seattle doesn't force these mismatches very often and when they do, it's with late round and UDFA level prospects.

I think if Wilson had an AJ Green type it would do wonders for both him and our offense. I don't know how we're going to get that player though. Even if all it did was force teams to double team one of our WRs, it would have a huge impact on the offense.

Interior pass rush is second place for me.

cacksman

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ikrp2vr said:
storm74":1ikrp2vr said:
New OC and it aint even close
BINGO!

Just what we need, to replace both our coordinators in one offseason. Plus the "learning a new system" articles coming out in the preseason should mark good things for the offense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Gotta love this topic. I like one of the first posts that said there are too many variables at this point, which is true. Things like: is Simon going to progress, how much will Britt progress, how much will Hill progress and can he stay healthy, can Okung stay healthy, how will Burley/Shead/Pinkins progress etc.

If Hill stays healthy, we'll get that interior penetration that will cause QBs to throw the ball quicker than they want to. Simon is actually pretty good with the ball in the air, but he gets exposed if you leave him on a WR too long. Getting Suh (which I can't rely on) would obviously cover the DT depth issue, pass rush issue, and alleviate some CB issues.

If Okung could stay healthy, we're ok on the OL. We were the top rushing team in the league by a pretty fair margin. Lynch makes a lot of that, but to be honest, Turbin and Michael with more reps probably have us at around #3. Pass blocking is poor against teams like the Rams with elite DL's, but they make a lot of teams look bad. Can we upgrade our OL ? Sure. Easily. Is it the top priority ? WIth how they played last year (even though it drives me nuts at times) no.

I don't fall prey to the last thing I've seen. Our secondary was beat to crap in the Superbowl; we never gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter of any game last year, and I don't expect to see it this year unless we're unhealthy. Pete and John will churn the secondary depth anyways, so it's not really a top priority.

I look at the weakest part of this team. That's my top priority, and that's WR and TE. It's just ridiculous how many times they've been completely nonexistent this year, against a variety of different CBs. If we even had one mismatch our offense would be so much harder to defend. Look at that last Arizona game: Willson on Foote was a mismatch and it blew the game open. We need a quality WR and TE (I'd take one or the other) that can consistently make plays. Our offense was the worst part of our team last year, specifically those skill position groups. Also, if we get a guy that can win one on one matchups, Wilson could get rid of the ball more quickly and make up some deficiencies on the OL, kinda like Brady and P. Manning can do.

We had the #1 defense in the NFL last year. We're on a historic run of defense, really. Saying we need DT depth or CB depth or a better #2 CB is all true, but it only raises the overall quality of the defense incrementally. Upgrading with a GOOD WR or TE is disproportionate to anything we could do on defense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
cacksman":17cky50u said:
Sports Hernia":17cky50u said:
storm74":17cky50u said:
BINGO!

Just what we need, to replace both our coordinators in one offseason. Plus the "learning a new system" articles coming out in the preseason should mark good things for the offense.

Please, NO, not the dreaded "Learning a new system" articles! The very thought is painful... takes me back to the days of Dan McGwire, Kelly Stouffer, Stan Gelbaugh...

Remember, we have been in two straight Superb Owls with Bevell as our OC. So he's doing something right, at least part of the time.

The dumbest part of "The Pick" was expecting Kearse to push Brandon Browner several yards deep, when Browner outweighs him by 30 lbs and is the most physical corner in the NFL. THAT was where Bevell was bone-headed, not realizing the matchup.

The second-dumbest part of "The Pick" was not using Russell Wilson's unique strengths and decision-making in a crucial situation. A slant leaves no real room for QB decision-making. So Bevell was stupid in not using his team's strength. So much better it would have been to trot out the "Jumbo Package" and then complete a TD pass to Garry Gilliam off play-action. Bevell over-thought it, guessed wrong, and Wilson didn't call TO get on a good page. If Bevell's going to overthink it, why not go four wides, with one being Chris Matthews, so Browner would be on him and not jamming Kearse?

However, as much as I am "on the fence" on Bevell, I think we'd be worse off to get rid of him. I think that gets fixed partly by giving Russell more latitude in/having Russell become more comfortable in/making the playcalls in crucial situations.

So, OC/Play-calling aside...

1) TE, a game-changer who might actually be around at pick #31
2) WR, any WR who can get open, but the true #1s likely will be long gone by #31
3) DE, to have better depth in the rotation
4) OT, to develop for post-Okung, and depth
5) CB, to reload and develop
6) DT, to reload and develop

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":f87o70sv said:
nwHawk":f87o70sv said:
We have many positional needs, although mainly as depth if our guys come back healthy. Tight end is a major part of our offense. The ability to affect the run and passing game, TE is key. I could see us avoiding most free agents, and relying on the draft and our coaches ability. A backup speedy DE would also be nice.

I'd be happy with a TE of John Carlson's capability.

You know, this would be MUCH MORE CONVINCING if it was posted by TheRealJohnCarlson.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Throwdown":1usxebi5 said:
TE/WR
We need a threat at WR, but if I gotta watch Luke Willson drop the ball I'm gonna go insane

I'd like to think Russell has learned how to throw to Luke in a way that's catchable for him. Willson doesn't do well at all with high, hard, and/or body-twisting catches of rocket throws. Willson's big game vs. AZ came on catches of all floaters/touch passes.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1wmu79wp said:
Kinda Surprised DE isn't higher on the list. You've got Avril. You've got Bennett . . . and then?

Marsh, Irvin, and Schofield. We don't need a starter at DE just more depth that can be found into he 3rd, 4th or 5th round. At DT we need a borderline Pro Bowl DT that can duplicate the impact Mebane has had on this DL. If Mebane does return he needs to be playing at a high level. I still think back to 2012 when we could have Drafted Fletcher Cox instead of trading back and picking Irvin.

I am jealous of St Louis's talent on the DL, over the last few years I would have loved to add a Aaron Donald, Sheldon Richardson, or Kwame Short. We need to invest in an interior DL stud, it will impact the entire defense performance when our DT's cause disruption. I would be very happy to spend big money on Suh, star DT's don't require the $$ star DE's do but have nearly the same impact.

Optimus25

Reaction score
storm74":37ffg4hc said:

but that would take the fun out of all the 2nd halves of playoff caliber games! God knows we don't have an offensive gameplan in the 1st half other than playing lingerie football plays to "feel out the defense". Good Lord, if we don't score more than 3 points in the 1st half of the next NFCCG, i'm going buy a plane ticket and go beat bevell myself.

1st halves of last two NFCCG's: 3 points total.

and you wanna tell me russell wilson calling his own plays would have done worse?

rams game this year to lock down #1 overall seed 1st half: 0 points

giants the week before, playing AT st louis, put up 20 in the first half.

take away a 25 yd punt block return td against the cowboys, and how many points do we score in the 1st half?: 3

reached 2 super bowls: yes

could a different coordinator take this team to greater heights: yes

O coordinator.

0 screen passes. 0 TE targets. Plays that play to our strength. in the biggest game of franchise history. when lynch starts to get bottled up, you get out in the flat with a screen, 1 on 1. God i hate bevell.

LTH

Reaction score
hawknation2015":6s5t8oqc said:
Sgt. Largent":6s5t8oqc said:
LTH":6s5t8oqc said:
Sgt. Largent":6s5t8oqc said:
In order of need;

1. D-Line
2. WR
3. TE
4. DB Depth

I see it a bit different

1. LT
2. WR
3. CB
4. DT

You want to spend money or depend on another rookie tackle? As much as we crucify Okung, he's making average money for a top 10 LT, and other than his penchant for at least two false starts a game, he's a solid pass and run blocker.

We already have Britt on one side whiffing on pass blocks, Russell's gonna get killed if we try and draft another LT.

We need to draft an OT to develop behind Okung, who is a free agent after 2015, and also to push Britt at RT. If Bailey goes to LG, there is zero depth at OT. Drafting an OT now would actually avoid the situation you are alluding to one year from now, i.e. forced to start a rookie at LT.

That was my thinking....of course , really, who the heck knows whats going to happen...but its sure fun trying to figure it out...

LTH

nwHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1d4gzryj said:
I think OT is the biggest need. They desperately need someone to develop behind Okung and to push Britt. If they get a player good enough, they may even be able to move Britt inside to LG. Overall, the offensive line was once again the weakest aspect of the team and will need to be addressed in a serious way this off-season. The status quo isn't good enough for this position group.

Carpenter isn't worth more than a million dollars a year. If Bailey takes over for Carpenter, that creates two problems. #1 Bailey is not a strong run blocker. #2 That leaves us with only one backup OT: former TE Garry Gilliam.

Britt's not moving anywhere. I like Bailey as a LT much more than as a Guard. He doesn't have the power to play long term at RT or Guard. I also don't think he's a long range quality starter at any position. Very good backup and spot starter. I could see Carpenter coming back unless they are planning on spending a 1st or 2nd on a Guard this year.

One thing we need to do is keep strong guards in front of Wilson. Carp isn't a great pass blocker, we all know that, but he isn't terrible and he is a road grater - which is what Pete wants. As much time as he's missed over the past few seasons he's still played more than Okung.

nanomoz

Reaction score
For me, DT is the biggest need. The Hawks probably need three of them. The Hawks' quickness of the edge is often nullified by a lack of A-gap pressure. Bennett can't play everywhere.

1: 3-Tech DT
2: WR
3: 1-Tech DT/5-Tech DE
4: KR/PR
5: (if Lynch isn't back) RB
6: CB (true-nickel cb, quickness and tackling technique are priorities, not size or top-line speed)
7: An incredible blocking TE
8. 1-Tech DT
9. LEO

HawkFan72

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":27tdkqr3 said:
If Lynch retires, Running Back. and you cannot replace Lynch.

If Lynch goes, then OL becomes top priority. You will never find a runner to replace him, so improve the O-line to pick up the slack for whatever RB is back there. It also will help Wilson and the passing game (which will need to step up more if Lynch goes).

We saw how great the Cowboys Offense got this year. It was because they invested in O-line this past offseason. The Hawks Offense will have to go that route if Lynch leaves, otherwise they will just take a huge step back. Can't truly replace Lynch, but you can help his replacement by improving the guys blocking for him.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b0g3wk8 said:
hawknation2015":2b0g3wk8 said:
Sgt. Largent":2b0g3wk8 said:
hawknation2015":2b0g3wk8 said:
We need to draft an OT to develop behind Okung, who is a free agent after 2015, and also to push Britt at RT. If Bailey goes to LG, there is zero depth at OT. Drafting an OT now would actually avoid the situation you are alluding to one year from now, i.e. forced to start a rookie at LT.

Guess we'll agree to disagree, cause I think they'll extend Okung, and therefore there's no reason to have LT as your #1 priority this off season or draft.

When you have an above average LT, you don't let them go, they're too valuable........even one's that false start all the time.

And whom do you want to start at LT when Okung inevitably misses games this season?

Not saying extending Okung isn't a possibility, only that we desperately need depth at that position.

We have some depth, Bailey and Gilliam are coming along nicely as depth tackles.

I'm only disagreeing with you because you said LT is our #1 priority, and we have too many other needs that should be addressed first before LT. Not saying don't draft a couple lineman deeper in the draft, but #1 priority? No.

You could look at it a few different ways... you could see that RW was sacked 42 times this year and 44 times last year and say that RW holds the Ball to long... or you could say our WR cant get open and some of those sacks are coverage sacks or you could say that our o-line isnt playing well due to what ever, injuries or they just get beat? the truth is all of it is true...the bottom line is How efficient would our offense be if you took away half those sacks? as of this point they can not even consider extending RO until they get the other up coming contracts done... Is LT the biggest need? Better draft one or sign one now cause they have no idea how they are going to get RO done... from what I have seen with the depth, there needs to be more competition at the position...

Just my take...

LTH

Playmaker21

Reaction score
I voted Defensive Tackle. But I would like to extend it to Defensive Linemen in general. I think despite injuries to that unit, the Seahawks were thin in talent on the Defensive Line coming into 2014. Cliff Avril is a high end #2 pass rusher. Michael Bennett is a nice rotation guy (outside in base defense, inside on pass rush) And the Defensive Tackle position needs upgraded. When the Seahawks have their defensive line going, it makes the LOB better. But when there is no pass rush,like in the Super Bowl (and other games this season) the secondary can be exposed.

Contracts for Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner, and the current contracts of Sherman, Thomas, Okung, and Avril will make it hard to get a #1 pass rusher in free agency. Yes I would like to see our Seahawks go after Ndamukong Suh, Jason Pierre-Paul, or Greg Hardy in free agency. But this will likely have to be a position that has to be "restocked" through the draft.

As for the myth of needing a true #1 WR.
Julian Edelman
Doug Baldwin
Anquan Boldin
Victor Cruz

That is the leading WR's for your last four Super Bowl Champions. Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, and DeMaryius Thomas are considered to be the top 4 WR's in the NFL by many. None have won a Super Bowl. They have a combined 4 playoff wins between them (Thomas 3, Bryant 1)

I think the Seahawks should go after a top TE like Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron. TE's are cheaper on the open market than WR's. And the type of QB Russell Wilson is, he would benefit greatly from a top TE to work the middle of the field. This team made two Super Bowls with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as their top two WR's.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Marshawn answers this question. If he retires then we need to invest in the OL. Hopefully turn a mediocre running back into above average. Otherwise, without Lynch or a good OL, we are not scoring enough. If Lynch stays we can afford to get cute at TE, WR or DL. I still think DL is the priority if Lynch stays but at 31 I am not sure if a pass rusher will be there.

LTH

Reaction score
I just have to say the given the chance to start Turbin might surprise some of you... not to say that I want Lynch to leave but......

LTH

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
OL was the #1 on Terry Blounts blog poll.

I find it hard to believe that with the 31st pick we could make a major upgrade to any player on our OL. It is reasonable to think we could get a minor upgrade over Carpenter with a better pass blovker and maybe Unger with a stronger guy but I think the continuity lost would nearly negate any physical gain.

Talent wise we are lacking athleticism & size at WR and starting caliber rotational guys on the DL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1nyxuhnw said:
OL was the #1 on Terry Blounts blog poll. .

I think it's because Carp is probably gone (UFA), and something needs to be done with both Sweezy and Okung as far as extensions...........so not only would we need to draft a starter, but some O-line depth as well.

Even so, I think WR and TE are bigger needs right now.......and maybe even DB.