#1 Position of need?

What is the most important position that needs to be addressed this offseason?

• CB (We can't afford Maxi and Lane & Simon are big ?'s)

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • DT (Mebane, Hill, and Scruggs all coming off injury and KWill is one yr older)

Votes: 40 18.6%
  • OL (Protect our Franchise QB)

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • TE (Miller injury prone, Wilson drop prone)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • WR (Give Wilson a big weapon who can play like Mathews did in the SB, every game)

Votes: 102 47.4%
  • KR/PR (We sorely missed Tate in the return game this season)

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c1qjpxft said:
Wenhawk":c1qjpxft said:
OL was the #1 on Terry Blounts blog poll. .

I think it's because Carp is probably gone (UFA), and something needs to be done with both Sweezy and Okung as far as extensions...........so not only would we need to draft a starter, but some O-line depth as well.

Even so, I think WR and TE are bigger needs right now.......and maybe even DB.

LOL you guys want the sexy pick... I get that... but...

LTH

jake206

Reaction score
If you really believe Marshawn is not retiring, then TE/WR. Otherwise RB...due to pending Beastmode retirement.

acbass

Reaction score
I think it has to be WR. Imagine having a receiver do what Mathews did in the first half of the SB every game. I like Baldwin and Kearse, but not as #1 and 2. Get a guy that is big and can stretch the field. Everything else will open up.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Playmaker21":1sgj1rhf said:
As for the myth of needing a true #1 WR.
Julian Edelman
Doug Baldwin
Anquan Boldin
Victor Cruz

First not the whole story

NE has Gronk, we have no one even close and Eldeman had over 900 yards and was ranked ahead of Baldwin by a wide margin.
We have Wilson that is why it worked for us
Boldin was a 921 yard WR so yeah that works and is far better than anyone we have
Cruz was the 3rd ranked Wr in the league that year and they had Nicks who was ranked 12th

Thanks but you proved our point Baldwin is not any place near as good as any of those others at the time they played in the SB. That is why we need a #1 wr.

jake206

Reaction score
#1 Position of need?

TE/WR...um how about RB?

Ponder this: Have you ever seen this team without Beastmode? Sure he's been out for a qtr or two, but an entire season without him? We need to find a replacement, pronto. If Beastmode retires, it will be cataclysmic. Rumors is he's thinking about it. So start lining them up, Gordon, Gurley, etc or start thinking about a trade... Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray? Without a tailback like Marshawn, this team is sunk on what its identity is. Turbin and Michael are not Beastmode, nor will they ever be. Hawks need a successor.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The RB position is not that hard to fill. We don't need the best back in the NFL to succeed. Give Turbin, C Mike, and a 2nd Rd RB some opportunities and we will find production.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
After this week's news on Lane, I change my choice to DB, DB and more DB's.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2fhzuow7 said:
I'm not sure that Jesse Williams will ever be on a roster on game day and if he is it likely won't be for long. He's got no mass in his body from the waist down like an old school cartoon character. Structurally he won't hold up, I'm afraid. At least as it stands now. If he could get down to a good 300 pounds while adding strength in those uber tiny legs I'd probably have to eat my words, but right now he's just plain top heavy and even when he is playing he spends a lot of time on the ground when he has to play laterally.

He's better off trying to be Red Bryant vs Mebane. Maybe he gets away with being a 3, but IMO if he's going to succeed and have a better chance of staying healthy, Chicken Legs needs to be out closer to the edge, head up on the tackle (4) or outside shade (5) or both (like Red). Playing in the A and B gaps is generally best for players that play with a good base and center of gravity.
He wishes he had chicken legs. Chicken legs are luscious and juicy.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawks46":1in0w8q7 said:
Gotta love this topic. I like one of the first posts that said there are too many variables at this point, which is true. Things like: is Simon going to progress, how much will Britt progress, how much will Hill progress and can he stay healthy, can Okung stay healthy, how will Burley/Shead/Pinkins progress etc.

If Hill stays healthy, we'll get that interior penetration that will cause QBs to throw the ball quicker than they want to. Simon is actually pretty good with the ball in the air, but he gets exposed if you leave him on a WR too long. Getting Suh (which I can't rely on) would obviously cover the DT depth issue, pass rush issue, and alleviate some CB issues.

If Okung could stay healthy, we're ok on the OL. We were the top rushing team in the league by a pretty fair margin. Lynch makes a lot of that, but to be honest, Turbin and Michael with more reps probably have us at around #3. Pass blocking is poor against teams like the Rams with elite DL's, but they make a lot of teams look bad. Can we upgrade our OL ? Sure. Easily. Is it the top priority ? WIth how they played last year (even though it drives me nuts at times) no.

I don't fall prey to the last thing I've seen. Our secondary was beat to crap in the Superbowl; we never gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter of any game last year, and I don't expect to see it this year unless we're unhealthy. Pete and John will churn the secondary depth anyways, so it's not really a top priority.

I look at the weakest part of this team. That's my top priority, and that's WR and TE. It's just ridiculous how many times they've been completely nonexistent this year, against a variety of different CBs. If we even had one mismatch our offense would be so much harder to defend. Look at that last Arizona game: Willson on Foote was a mismatch and it blew the game open. We need a quality WR and TE (I'd take one or the other) that can consistently make plays. Our offense was the worst part of our team last year, specifically those skill position groups. Also, if we get a guy that can win one on one matchups, Wilson could get rid of the ball more quickly and make up some deficiencies on the OL, kinda like Brady and P. Manning can do.

We had the #1 defense in the NFL last year. We're on a historic run of defense, really. Saying we need DT depth or CB depth or a better #2 CB is all true, but it only raises the overall quality of the defense incrementally. Upgrading with a GOOD WR or TE is disproportionate to anything we could do on defense.

As to top rushing team: Take away Wilson's 849 rushing yards and we're a middling rushing team. He got that on his own, or even after letting the defense crush our pathetic offensive line--as a tactic, much like the Romans deployed against Hannible. We need o-line, man.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":fr9zmfnz said:
Which position needs the biggest offseason acquisition for us improve next season?
None of the above, and as much as I want another WR, I have to say a ball pounding RB, as Marshawn Lynch won't be there for Wilson much longer, and that is paramount for the Seahawks Offensive identity.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LTH":1x4i7syw said:
I just have to say the given the chance to start Turbin might surprise some of you... not to say that I want Lynch to leave but......

LTH
I love Turbin as a change of pace RB, BUT, if he's our featured back, Defenses will figure him out in pretty short order, game plan against his strong suit, and exploit his inability to pound it out.
Defenses couldn't do that with Marshawn, because of Cables style of Offensive blocking for Lynch's style of power running.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Superbowl showed us we need a #1 WR that commands double coverage with great red zone ability & a #2 WR that can beat single coverage vs elite #2 CBs. Putting Baldwin back in the slot where he can use his quickness and great route running with his 5'10 frame like walked,edelman,etc...

There is zero LTs in this draft! So OT must be picked up in free agency. Here is a list of good ones...Bulaga,Newton,Pernell,free. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... e-tackles/

TE we don't really need. I don't like balls thrown over the middle where they get tipped for ints,unless you have a star like J.Thomas or gronk.

DT there are so many good DTs in free agency...Melton, etc... Same for DEs.

Quick Slot CB I say is a must to cover quick WRs like edelman.

I like Marshall or V.Jackson,then draft parker,strong,or Beckham. Fill in the rest.

So in conclusion... 2 great WRs,1 great RT/LT & a quick cover CB will fill our holes. Then focus on the already #1 defense with D-lineman last.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksurething":2lyw9up1 said:
There is zero LTs in this draft! So OT must be picked up in free agency. Here is a list of good ones...Bulaga,Newton,Pernell,free. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... e-tackles/

Why do you say there are no good LTs in the draft?

Erick Flowers, Andrus Peat, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, etc.

Fisher just put up the best 3-cone and short shuttle times for any offensive linemen at the last three combines.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We had Bryan Walters playing on crucial third downs in the Super Bowl. That is embarrassing. Might be the only team in the league he would see the field with. It's WR and it's not even close.