1st Round - 27th pick Jordyn Brooks LB Texas Tech

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
bluengreen":1mb0y9ri said:
He does seem like a good player (they obviously liked him over Queen). But is this a vote of No Confidence in Barton and BBK? Or do they think they can coach him into a MIC as Wagner's eventual replacement? Maybe? And they think that they can still get good D line in the next round?
It's not a vote of no confidence in Barton or BBk. BBk was drafted as a special teams and depth LB, and Barton to provide solid depth at multiple positions; I think they both filled those roles well.

Wagner and Wright still have a few good years in front of them, but behind them the LB depth was thin. With the addition of Barton last year, Irvin in FA, and now Brooks in the draft we have quality depth at all three LB spots. Wright, Barton, and Brooks can play and compete at multiple positions giving us the flexibility to move guys around to get the best grouping.

I like the DT's later in the draft and I am not excited about the DE's that were available at 27. I also don't think DE is as big of a need as most seem to.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":14jdosm9 said:
I see a lot of people acting as if the draft is dead and talking about other needs

Bro, we have 2 second rounders! Still gonna have our pick(s) of a good tier of talent, with the ammo to move on up to snag someone if needed
This happens every year when people’s pet picks don’t get picked or the talking heads are not talking up said player.
It’s funny watching folks freak out. Just wait for tomorrow.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Takeaways from Schneider speaking about Jordyn:

- Says they took the best player available on the board, period. Had Jordyn rated as best player available.
- Notes that in 2018 he played as a rover, in 2019 played inside, developed well strength and conditioning wise
- His ability to transition between inside and outside without missing a beat was a determining factor in his selection
- Production off charts, see him similar to Bobby in that he's always involved
- They had a trade set up at 27 that fell through, or at least very advanced discussions. Was surprised GB leapt in front of them, surprised at lack of trades, was talking to Gutekunst of GB, GB "got a better deal" at 26 and went with that trade instead
- Philosophy was to get players that could come in and "Act like pros right away," said Brooks is that guy, notes staff was unanimous in support for pick including Norton, will figure out a way to get him on the field, notes his prowess on shooting through A-Gap

Takeaways from Carroll on Jordyn:

- Carroll notes his versatility between OLB and ILB, says he could play either position. Notes his experience spying QB.
- Says he has a good chance to fight for playing time out of the gate
- Love his personality, referred to him having a chip on his shoulder and embracing competition
- Says they got faster with addition of Brooks
- What stood out in interview at combine? "Strong communicator, tough, hard-nosed work-ethic type of guy"
- Jordyn was homeless at one point. Admire his perseverance.
- Notes that he feels Jordyn's skillset was more highlighted in 2019 at ILB with increased responsibility, but again versatility is a big determining factor
- "He could play outside at Mychal Kendrick's spot," love how he comes downhill, fits with Barton and KJ in that both can play inside and outside
- Says if you watch film, Bobby and KJ are both versatile inside out guys, Brooks is same way, want to give him freedom to play fast and aggressively, want to position him to excel early
- Free Agency allowed them to take BPA, which again was Brooks on their board. Board fell pretty much exactly as they expected.
- Very confident in choice due to his sustained production throughout college career in different systems
- "Blew us away" in interview. Notes that him performing young was very impressive and shows his leadership qualities, says he's "ready to kick ass"
- Notes his attitude fits exactly with the team
- Said Danny O'Neil almost nailed the draft clues, said he got real close

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Cyoplasm/status/1253553786527739904[/tweet]

endzorn

Reaction score
Ifedi, McDowell, penny and Collier all had apologists on here. They’ve really set the world on fire.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Love that they took a LB. If Queen ends up being better that's gonna be a massive black mark though.

Speed at LB was definitely a need and was a huge problem last year especially vs LA. McVay specifically but any time that threatened an outside run on us last year had their way. KJ, I'm sorry, is not fast enough anymore. I still think another LB in the 4th/5th would be useful.

Now if they go RB, early down DT, and WR tomorrow that would be great. DE I have no trust in them developing and this DE class sucks overall, so I'm not upset they didn't jump on one. I would much rather they use the cap they have to bring back clowney.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
endzorn":1fv8j9qn said:
I’ve finally cracked. I’m so tired of Schneider not finding value with early picks. We are a below average team with a superstar QB. Russell Wilson IS the Seahawks now and Schneider has a job based solely on that pick. Lockett, Clark, Carson and Metcalf are the only four players worth a damn since 2012. It’s so frustrating. Even if this kid is good we could have traded back and still had plenty of time to pick him.

We are a wild card team and when we lose our first playoff game I’ll be begging for a new GM.

Nah, that's crap. He wasn't going to be available much longer. He fits better than Queen and LB is considerably slim after him. Cincy's top need is LB and I'm confident he was gone at 33.

Teams should draft according to their board. He's a great fit on this D.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
endzorn":2wcbi6np said:
Ifedi, McDowell, penny and Collier all had apologists on here. They’ve really set the world on fire.

Do you have an actual valid criticism of the prospect, or are we just going to compare this apple to those oranges all the merry night long?

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Seajam":21ly8t0f said:
pmedic920":21ly8t0f said:
[youtube]A9QYzOIAMiU[/youtube]

Most unimpressive highlights ever!
Are you serious? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
Did you see the way he sifts through traffic? or the way he anticipates the run lane and shoots the gap with authority? Watching the highlights you can see how he racked up so many tackles.

I'll admit he wasn't on my radar (mostly because I hope KJ and Bobby play forever), and my first reaction when I heard the pick was, who? but watching him play I don't know how you can say the highlights are unimpressive.

I have no idea where Brooks would have gone if we hadn't taken him, or exactly where he'll fit into the defense in year one, but I think we got a good football player.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maybe a bit of a wake up call for Bobby too. Still mid rd and late rd LBs can produce. I don’t like spending a first of a LB unless it’s a lock or hey can rush the passer. There is not a premium on run stuffers. Just ask Clowney.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I'm intrigued. The way he sheds blocks and gets to the point of attack is impressive. He's moving 250lbs around at a 4.5 40? I would have liked Queen better ESPECIALLY if he wasn't so young..

I don't think JS and PC picked the worst linebacker on the board. Not by a long shot.

wsumatt82

Reaction score
Really excited for this pick. Has tons of speed and always in the backfield. Can and will tackle anything and everything and yes in spite of what people say we really needed a linebacker. Love what I see out of him. There are still a lot of players projected late 1st still there and still could be when we pick next, metcalf fell last year. Players do every year. Please calm down, it’s far from over.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hate to break it to you guys, but if Brooks was the top guy on Pete and John's board, they would still have taken him at whatever early second-round spot they found themselves after trading down.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Stumbled across this interesting article that had Brooks as a potential 1st round pick despite the lack of mock drafts having him there:

Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech

There has been some chatter about his medicals, and his shoulder in particular, after a labrum repair by the Dallas Cowboys' surgeon back in December. There should be more clarity on his current situation coming from that surgeon this week, I'm told. Still, this kid ran a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash for scouts just 10 days after being cleared to run … without the ability to train normally before that. Sick athletic traits. My pal Bobby DePaul, who has 25 years of NFL experience in personnel, was kind enough to break down this entire linebacker class on film for me. If not for the medical concern, he would have Brooks as the second-best stack LB in the entire draft. Some other evaluators I trust also have a first-round grade on him, ahead of Kenneth Murray in some cases. DePaul's synopsis on Brooks: "Athlete, 3 downs, play speed and close, blitz/space production, Wagner." Yeah, that Wagner is Bobby Wagner, DePaul's high-end comp for Brooks. He has the speed teams so covet in this spot with nickel the new base.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-be-picked-in-round-1-despite-a-lack-of-buzz/

Jville

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":i4b3os7l said:
Takeaways from Schneider speaking about Jordyn:

- Says they took the best player available on the board, period. Had Jordyn rated as best player available.
- Notes that in 2018 he played as a rover, in 2019 played inside, developed well strength and conditioning wise
- His ability to transition between inside and outside without missing a beat was a determining factor in his selection
- Production off charts, see him similar to Bobby in that he's always involved
- They had a trade set up at 27 that fell through, or at least very advanced discussions. Was surprised GB leapt in front of them, surprised at lack of trades, was talking to Gutekunst of GB, GB "got a better deal" at 26 and went with that trade instead
- Philosophy was to get players that could come in and "Act like pros right away," said Brooks is that guy, notes staff was unanimous in support for pick including Norton, will figure out a way to get him on the field, notes his prowess on shooting through A-Gap

Takeaways from Carroll on Jordyn:

- Carroll notes his versatility between OLB and ILB, says he could play either position. Notes his experience spying QB.
- Says he has a good chance to fight for playing time out of the gate
- Love his personality, referred to him having a chip on his shoulder and embracing competition
- Says they got faster with addition of Brooks
- What stood out in interview at combine? "Strong communicator, tough, hard-nosed work-ethic type of guy"
- Jordyn was homeless at one point. Admire his perseverance.
- Notes that he feels Jordyn's skillset was more highlighted in 2019 at ILB with increased responsibility, but again versatility is a big determining factor
- "He could play outside at Mychal Kendrick's spot," love how he comes downhill, fits with Barton and KJ in that both can play inside and outside
- Says if you watch film, Bobby and KJ are both versatile inside out guys, Brooks is same way, want to give him freedom to play fast and aggressively, want to position him to excel early
- Free Agency allowed them to take BPA, which again was Brooks on their board. Board fell pretty much exactly as they expected.
- Very confident in choice due to his sustained production throughout college career in different systems
- "Blew us away" in interview. Notes that him performing young was very impressive and shows his leadership qualities, says he's "ready to kick ass"
- Notes his attitude fits exactly with the team
- Said Danny O'Neil almost nailed the draft clues, said he got real close

Nice transcription :2thumbs: Thanks for putting in the work.

I'll add the periscope link to the John & Pete debriefing on the Jordyn pick for everyone's listening pleasure >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1ynJOpRaEvVxR[/urltargetblank]

HawksSoc

Reaction score
I'm fine with an LB pick, I just wish they had prioritised someone who can cover. In 2020 you want your LBs to be Deion Jones, not a 2 down thumper. Though he can rush the passer apparently which is something.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He was the top rated LB vs the run. Last I checked we couldn't stop the run last year. Just pop in the New Orleans tape.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawksSoc":1wmsayhq said:
I'm fine with an LB pick, I just wish they had prioritised someone who can cover. In 2020 you want your LBs to be Deion Jones, not a 2 down thumper. Though he can rush the passer apparently which is something.

Ran a 4.4..

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Uncle Si":232xexdi said:
HawksSoc":232xexdi said:

Ran a 4.4..

Speed doesn't equate to being good in coverage though?

davidonmi

Reaction score
CPHawk":2ymm7dns said:
He was the top rated LB vs the run. Last I checked we couldn't stop the run last year. Just pop in the New Orleans tape.
or just watch the Philly game where Josh McCown was running around KJ. Or the LA game where we couldn't stop a sweep to save our lives.