2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Crizilla

Reaction score
Sadly I don't see Zunino getting another chance. He's had his chances. Time to move on.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
This is unbelievable. Machi gets pulled for a hand injury. Two pitches later, Evan Marshall hurts his leg. That didn't look good. Looked and sounded really serious. So many injuries to this team this year. Too many pitchers going down.

Msfann

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":4pwhokvb said:
This is unbelievable. Machi gets pulled for a hand injury. Two pitches later, Evan Marshall hurts his leg. That didn't look good. Looked and sounded really serious. So many injuries to this team this year. Too many pitchers going down.

He yelled no over and over when on the ground :(
hopefully hes not hurt bad.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Pagan sucks. We will have to call some relievers up tomorrow assuming Machi and Marshall are hurt. What were we today, like 0-10 with RISP?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Catcher Mike Zunino is heading back to the minors in an attempt to resuscitate his swing.

The Mariners added to a busy day of roster moves Friday by optioning Zunino to Triple-A Tacoma just prior to their series opener against Texas at Safeco Field. They replaced Zunino by recalling Tuffy Gosewisch from the Rainiers.

"We feel it's best for Mike at this point," general manager Jerry Dipoto said.

Gosewisch, 33, was batting just .240 at Tacoma, but he reached base safely at least once in all 16 of his games in which he had an at-bat in compiling a .339 on-base percentage.

Zunino, 26, departs with a .167 average and a .250 on-base percentage in 24 games. He struck out 30 times in 72 at-bats. He had no homers and just two RBIs.

Earlier Friday, the Mariners placed left-handed pitcher James Paxton on the 10-day disabled list because of a strained forearm muscle.

They also optioned outfielder Boog Powell to Tacoma while recalling infielder Mike Freeman and right-handed reliever Evan Marshall from the Rainiers.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... rylink=cpy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/860759402755760128[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/860771530862612480[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/curtis_crabtree/status/860759606632488962[/tweet]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Man are we not snakebit???Hope we can dig up a couple of gems for pitchers somehow..

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Valencia is not good. Just because he had a couple of good games recently doesn't mean he's"heating up". His at bat in the bottom of the 11th (I think) last night against Barnette was pitiful. Just pitiful. 8 pitches. 2 balls. Every single pitch was down and away. Barnette did not throw a single strike. At least one of the balls was a check swing. 0-5 last night. If they can replace Zunino, why not Valencia?

Valencia's stats this year:
92 AB
.217 AVG
24 SO
8 BB
.277 OBP
.658 OPS
3 HR
9 RBI

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Great win tonight. Bats came alive and put up a huge 7 spot in the 7th. Segura is now hitting .357! Cruz is at .330 and Motter had a pair of doubles to break out of his slump. I wonder if Dipoto will consider July trades for a catcher, a SP or lefty reliever?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1jjper24 said:
Great win tonight. Bats came alive and put up a huge 7 spot in the 7th. Segura is now hitting .357! Cruz is at .330 and Motter had a pair of doubles to break out of his slump. I wonder if Dipoto will consider July trades for a catcher, a SP or lefty reliever?
It really was a great game. De Jong had a solid outing. Hopefully he can build on it. Who do you think could be trade chips?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2zm82qdd said:
West TX Hawk":2zm82qdd said:
It really was a great game. De Jong had a solid outing. Hopefully he can build on it. Who do you think could be trade chips?

I would look at seeing who may be interested in Peterson, Powell and Iwakuma. Our future OF should be Gamel, Heredia and Haniger. I wouldn't move any of those guys.

I doubt there's much of a market for Dyson on a 1 year deal but you could package him, Kuma, Powell and Peterson for a couple of arms or an arm and a solid veteran catcher with at least 3 years remaining on a contract. Vogelbach is certainly movable but his market is likely limited. As much as I like the guy and his versatility, Motter could be moved also.

It may all be wishful thinking, and there may not be much of a market for our prospects, but if we're over .500 in June and within striking distance of a WC berth in July and Smyly is healthy, you have to make a move somewhere. What are your thoughts?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ya really the only holes in the line up are catcher, 1st base, and CF. We are loaded everywhere else. Best offense we've had since 2003 IMO.

ARZ is off to a decent start but man they've gotta feel a little punch in the gut for trading Segura. This guy is really articulate in the batters box and has his own thing going on. Reminds me of Ichiro a little bit. I love this guy.

Heredia, Motter, Gamel, Segura, Haniger. All batting over .300 with good OPS. Have to give Dipoto credit for these new guys. It's made people forget about Cano, which is saying a lot. Especially with Cruz being an absolute madman. He's the real MVP.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Had a small group Q&A with Ryan Divish yesterday, he covers the Seattle Mariners for the Times. Thought I'd share some of what he had to say.

When asked about Felix, he said he doesn't think he will ever be what he used to be. He said Felix is struggling with idea of no longer being the best. Ever since he was a kid, Felix was the best player on the field once he put his glove on. Even guys like Cano and Cruz weren't great prospects, that had to work for it. So Felix has some learning to do. He went into detail about how teams are now approaching Felix at the plate. To sum it up, he said if the ball looks like it will be in the lower part of the strike zone, don't swing at it, it will likely tail off and fall out of the strike zone. Sit on anything that looks middle or high. Teams and players no longer respect his fastball, and Felix can't really throw it inside or high anymore.

Was asked about why Zunino struggles with hitting, when he is a catcher who should understand pitches and the strike zone. He said that Servais and Dipoto think it's all in his head. He is overthinking everything at the plate. Being a catcher might be working against him. Rather than trying to determine which type of pitch it is, M's want him to simply focus on where the ball will be thrown to him. He will be back up sooner than later unless M's can pull a trade. Doesn't think they can trade for a current starting catcher, but could see a trade for a minor league catcher.

He said one of Dipoto's biggest mistakes might have been over projecting Vogelbah. They pretty much went into the season thinking he would be the guy at first base. Was pretty clear early on that he was struggling and losing confidence.

When asked about Trumbo, Ryan said he is a good guy and is very happy for him. Even when Trumbo was here, he never felt like he was wanted. Even Trumbo told him that he isn't a "Dipoto" guy. Dipoto wants athletic guys who can play defense and don't strike out. While Trumbo is a great player, he wasn't the type of guy Dipoto wanted. Trumbo also credits Edgar for his recent success in the majors.

The coaches were really upset with Martin. When he started to struggle, he made changes to his batting stance without checking with the coaches. They basically sent him down and said fix it. He gave a similar story to Ackley, where he changed his approach at the plate without help from the coaches. They said to fix it or he won't play, Ackley worked on it all night until it was changed.

Heredia has made good changes as a ball player. Thinks he can really help the team. Said he brings a spark to the team.

M's were on the fence with the Taijuan trade. Seguar was always a part of the deal, but once they threw in Hanniger, M's were willing to make the deal.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Can we get some love for this Mariners team? I know they have killed us over the past 15 seasons. BUT check this out.

Leads the AL in doubles

Leads the AL in extra base hits

2nd in the AL in runs scored

4th in the AL batting average

4th in the AL on-base percentage

3rd in the AL stolen base percentage

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
sdog1981":3gn96x68 said:
Can we get some love for this Mariners team? I know they have killed us over the past 15 seasons. BUT check this out.

Leads the AL in doubles

Offense is awesome. Just don't show the pitching stats.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3mzsv84e said:
sdog1981":3mzsv84e said:

Leads the AL in doubles

Offense is awesome. Just don't show the pitching stats.

well.........yeah........

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Great win today.

Surprised this wasn't brought up during the game. The rangers Odor bunted the ball in the first inning, and I thought in real time he was out of the front of the battersbox when he made contact with the ball. Rewound the video, sure enough he was clearly out of the box, should have been out. He came around to score. Am surprised them Seattle bench didn't catch this.

Glad that run didn't cost them a win