2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2znzek1d said:
Seahaaaawks":2znzek1d said:
Yeah I realize there is more than batting average. Just throwing one stat out there that Ive always kept an eye on. When I was a kid batting average and slugging % was pretty much all you looked at on a baseball card. Now there's all kinds.
Anyways yes he stinks. Swings 150% at breaking balls out of the zone even with 2 strikes. No change in his approach, just swinging for the fences. A real head scratcher. Dunno whatever happened to choking up and swinging 75% instead of a full swing and trying to hit the ball out of the stadium
Was never a fan of "choking up", it never worked when I played. What worked was not swinging at pitches out of the zone, and not taking pitches down the middle of the plate, and try not to "guess" too much at the plate. Getting into hitters counts was my goal if possible. Sometimes the first pitch is the best one you are going to see, especially against a good pitcher, if it was in the area I liked it I swung.

Good points... Funny you say that cause it seems Zunino watches the first pitch no matter what. It's right down the middle and he takes it, shakes his head yes, chews his gum, steps back in the box and swings at breaking balls in the dirt.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What a joke. I don't even know what to say.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Martin with 1 hit today. That puts him on pace for around 50 hits all season. He's 2 for 24 so far. When the M's do score a lot of runs, you would think Martin got at least 1 RBI out of those runs. Nope. Still has 0 RBI's for the season. Is Cruz finally at the point where he's too old? He had a good run.

I didn't see the Trout at bat. Did we intentionally walk him? I hope not. Pujols will still kill you. M's aren't ready to stare the beast in the eyes yet.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We didn't intentionally walk Trout. Four straight balls from what I remember.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They cannot stop stepping on their manhood.
Absolutely pitiful. ....and I've paid to watch this crap tomorrow. Might be a one and done for the season in games attended for me. Sigh!

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vdm3swhq said:
Absolutely pitiful. ....and I've paid to watch this crap tomorrow. Might be a one and done for the season in games attended for me. Sigh!

I'm with ya man!!! I was considering going. But I don't have much money and I can't justify spending 100 bucks to watch this team play like chumps. Manager included. I'm a huge fan and it's weird to have this mentality. But I can watch them lose on tv and spend the money on beers at home. Ha

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":2npgm3qt said:
Sports Hernia":2npgm3qt said:

I'm with ya man!!! I was considering going. But I don't have much money and I can't justify spending 100 bucks to watch this team play like chumps. Manager included. I'm a huge fan and it's weird to have this mentality. But I can watch them lose on tv and spend the money on beers at home. Ha
I spent $40 plus the gas it's going to take to get down there.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I know it's only 7 games in, and they had this same record this time last year. But this team flat out sucks. Am I foolish for already giving up?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
[youtube]9cQgQIMlwWw[/youtube]
I don't know why but this is what I expect to see and hear for the first 20 games or so by the front office.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":vpksclw8 said:
[youtube]9cQgQIMlwWw[/youtube]
I don't know why but this is what I expect to see and hear for the first 20 games or so by the front office.

Haha that is amazing! Orrrrrrrrrr should I say, awesome!

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
WTF?? I was watching the game, saw they were cruising, up 9-3 going to the 9th. So I went to the gym and was thinking on the way, ok 2-5 to start the year.

I come back home...WTF just happened??! This team is the equivalent of sewage baked in a pie crust. Looks tempting as you take a bite and then realize it's raw shit. How many frigging years am I going to continue to watch this??

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I'm still pissed--major league teams do not give up 7 damn runs in the 9th. Unfrigging believable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I have to say I've already lost interest. The last two games were just unbearably stupid.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ncp6hzk said:
I have to say I've already lost interest. The last two games were just unbearably stupid.
Sadly, you are not alone. They have to get the ship righted this homestand or their will be tons more joining you.

We used to go to quite a few games with my neighbors at the time back in the early 1980's and their dad and grand dad. The dad said if Seattle isn't out of the pennant race by May, it's a minor miracle. I hope they are not slipping back to the dark ages.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Baseball is not Football and you can't watch them the same. Things will even out, it's just going to take time. For whatever reason this group just seems to start seasons slow (sound familiar to any other Seattle team? lol)

With that said last night was infuriating! I was yelling profanity at my TV and I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy haha. I missed a little bit of the 9th, can someone explain to me why the manager didn't pull Diaz after giving up 3 runs and clearly not being able to throw a strike? I didn't think our bullpen was emptied out yet was it? Was he just being stubborn?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
For some perspective regarding yesterday's collapse, since '11 teams were 2529-1 when leading by 6 runs or more heading into the 9th inning. And now 2529-2 per ESPN.

Early in the season or not, there are many indications this organization is in trouble. And that's a real shame considering the optimism following last season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DJrmb":3q59415c said:
Baseball is not Football and you can't watch them the same. Things will even out, it's just going to take time. For whatever reason this group just seems to start seasons slow (sound familiar to any other Seattle team? lol)

With that said last night was infuriating! I was yelling profanity at my TV and I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy haha. I missed a little bit of the 9th, can someone explain to me why the manager didn't pull Diaz after giving up 3 runs and clearly not being able to throw a strike? I didn't think our bullpen was emptied out yet was it? Was he just being stubborn?

I didn't say the season was over.

I've just lost interest. Come back and win some games and I'll start following along.

Not a fairweather Mariners fan, just a fairweather baseball fan.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Uncle Si":t0y77xyg said:
DJrmb":t0y77xyg said:

I didn't say the season was over.

I've just lost interest. Come back and win some games and I'll start following along.

Not a fairweather Mariners fan, just a fairweather baseball fan.
I hear you. I'm sure I'll have to take a break from them sometime this year too. Especially if the BP keeps giving games up when we actually get a decent lead!

One thing that killed me last year was all the stupid extra inning games. Maybe I'm not a "real baseball fan" but I hate extra inning games with a passion.