2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SWEEP!

Record doesn't look all that bad anymore. Lets take care of business against the Marlins.

sutz

Reaction score
After a couple days rest, the bullpen came through pretty well today (except for that HR Eddy gave up). Nice come from behind win for the sweep.

Can't give up on the team in mid-April. :laugh:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Martin did something useful for the FIRST time all year with that bunt single....

on a side note it looks like the trade with ARZ is working out for both teams. Haniger is legit. Soon to have his own bobble head night.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Awesome come back win today! Woohoo :irishdrinkers:
Hopefully they can keep this up! Now they are looking like a ball club

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I know it's early, but Mitch Haniger looks like he has he "IT factor".
The guy has a good idea what to do at the plate, runs well, and plays great defense.
That trade is looking real good for Seattle at the present moment.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":2kl4hjum said:
Martin did something useful for the FIRST time all year with that bunt single....

on a side note it looks like the trade with ARZ is working out for both teams. Haniger is legit. Soon to have his own bobble head night.

Well it's at least working out for us, while Walker is 1-1 with a 4.91 era.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
CPHawk":zufns46f said:
Crizilla":zufns46f said:

Well it's at least working out for us, while Walker is 1-1 with a 4.91 era.

Segura and Hanniger for Captain Inconsistency? Mariners are winning that trade. Arms for ML bats usually work out.

Here's looking at you Montero.......and Adam Jones. Nice to be on the winning side of a trade for once.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2hqo1q27 said:
The guy has a good idea what to do at the plate, runs well, and plays great defense.

Completely agree. Haniger is so refreshingly aggressive at the plate. He has all the tools and genuinely looks like a star in the making.

I'm really liking this Motter kid too. Can play every position and is really swinging well.

Lord help me, but I think there's hope for the year!

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":p7rr4exj said:
Sports Hernia":p7rr4exj said:

Completely agree. Haniger is so refreshingly aggressive at the plate. He has all the tools and genuinely looks like a star in the making.

I'm really liking this Motter kid too. Can play every position and is really swinging well.

Lord help me, but I think there's hope for the year!
Aggressive? I guess so, but that walk in the ninth to tie it showed epic patience and maturity. He did that and allowed the big hitters behind him (Cano, Cruz, and Seager) a shot with no outs. Gotta love that. So many young guys would have been flailing away at bad and marginal pitches trying to be the hero, and given up a double play.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Was just about to say the same thing. Haniger is a smart hitter, which means he knows when to be aggressive at the right time. This is what Zunino was suppose to be. The difference between the 2 when Haniger has only been with us for just a few games is incredible. But yeah I wouldn't label Haniger as an "aggressive hitter". Just smart. Already in the same category as Seager, Cano, and Cruz, IMO. The guy will be an All Star eventually.

He was called up mid August last year for ARZ. Is it still possible for him to win ROTY this year...?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Haniger is indeed a very smart hitter who knows to be patient in the right situation but I love his approach to every at-bat where he's not afraid to look for his location first pitch and attack or to let it rip in a 3-1 count. He's aggressive in that sense and always looking to fully extend his arms and drive the ball. Just a fantastic player so far.

I echo the sentiments it looking like we came out on the better end of the trade.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Kamcussion":27obtb8b said:
When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.

Completely agree. Motter can play anywhere-have him replace Martin for awhile or even Dyson. Neither of them are hitting worth a damn and Motter's been crushing it.

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1aebdp4w said:
Kamcussion":1aebdp4w said:

Completely agree. Motter can play anywhere-have him replace Martin for awhile or even Dyson. Neither of them are hitting worth a damn and Motter's been crushing it.
I'm thinking maybe Valencia better get his ass in gear. Motter could play first, too. ;)

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":3dagz7ut said:
Was just about to say the same thing. Haniger is a smart hitter, which means he knows when to be aggressive at the right time. This is what Zunino was suppose to be. The difference between the 2 when Haniger has only been with us for just a few games is incredible. But yeah I wouldn't label Haniger as an "aggressive hitter". Just smart. Already in the same category as Seager, Cano, and Cruz, IMO. The guy will be an All Star eventually.

He was called up mid August last year for ARZ. Is it still possible for him to win ROTY this year...?
Yes, he is still classified a rookie and can win that award this year.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1vyrqnds said:
West TX Hawk":1vyrqnds said:
Kamcussion":1vyrqnds said:

I'm thinking maybe Valencia better get his ass in gear. Motter could play first, too. ;)
Motter has played his way into the everyday lineup IMHO. He might be that Darin Erstad/Mark McLemore type that will be in the line up everyday but at different positions. At this point I'd have no problems benching Valencia and playing Motter at first though.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Haniger and Motter are playing great so far.I like these type of suprises and both deserve to keep playing every day,
The GM has made some good moves despite the ones I get mad about,nobody strikes gold every time.
How about those M's?They got my attention again and please keep it up.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":10liarwg said:
sutz":10liarwg said:
West TX Hawk":10liarwg said:
Kamcussion":10liarwg said:

Motter has played his way into the everyday lineup IMHO. He might be that Darin Erstad/Mark McLemore type that will be in the line up everyday but at different positions. At this point I'd have no problems benching Valencia and playing Motter at first though.
And one thing to note: Motter played all over the field in Spring ball and I don't recall him playing poorly anywhere. He's got that core athleticism and smarts that lets him play anywhere. I sure hope it continues.

Having said that, the positions people have mentioned are places where you expect better offensive production than we've gotten: corner OF, first base, etc. Sure, it's early, but how long do we allow guys to hit below the Mendoza line before we make a move?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I have to agree with what's been said about Motter and Haniger. I've been extremely impressed by both. The 2001 Mariners showed that in Mark McLemore, you can have success in playing a guy basically every day at different positions. I see Motter in very much the same light. Haniger is a guy that (to me) looks like a presence that this lineup hasn't had since Jay Buhner retired. Good defensive RF with good range, strong arm, and a quick powerful bat. Buhner was 6'3" and weighed in around 220 lbs. Haniger is 6'2" and 215 lbs -- so, fairly similar to Buhner in terms of build. Right after the Taijuan Walker deal was made, Jeff Sullivan wrote a compelling piece in which he asked the question, "Was the Jean Segura trade really the Mitch Haniger trade?" At this point in time, Sullivan is looking like he was right. If this team can get its bullpen figured out and stabilized, then I'm really liking the M's chances this year.

Latest posts