2017 to be Pete Carroll's Get It Done or Move On Season?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete will be able to say for as long as he wants. 10-6 will not get him fired. MAYBE consecutive 7-9 seasons but 10-6 11-5 home playoff games? He can stay for as long as he would like.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I totally disagree with the premise of the OP. It should remebered the team went to the divisional round of the playoffs once again last season and just missed getting a bye to get there. The team was faced with significant health problems all season long to key players. The OLine was experimental and dubious at best, Wilson never was truly healthy all year, and the RBs were a committee of walking wounded. The D developed key injury problems at the end of the season.

Pete has nothing to prove and the core of the team is very strong and potentially amongst the best in the league. The team was ranked 8th best in the league and in contention for having the best D. For sure there are a few pregnant issues and the OLine is one of them along with strength and health at RB. None of these problem are squarely the fault of Pete, though the buck stops with him and John. The team will be to do some re-stocking this offseason to keep their depth, but are well positioned with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I really wonder if those who post these threads remember how bad it was in 2009, or in the 90's and how much the team sucked then? It is damn hard to keep a team a constant competitor and there will be ups and downs. However, things have been pretty good since Pn'J arrived they have fielded a consistent playoff contender every season but the 2nd; and looking forward things look good with what appears to be strong team.

I believe Pete was frustrated with the OLine and offense at times, and know when defensive lapses happened he was visibly upset by them, just like the rest of us. Generally things improved in a lot of areas as last season moved along, but the OLine failed to perform quite as expected. I'm quite confident in the team's prospects for 2017 I don't think Pete is in any 'prove it or move on' situation and think that he has been the best HC the team has ever had. As well my belief is that the team's FO is the best the team has ever had as well and JS is best GM the team has ever had by a long way.

For those wanting 40-3 game results every game remember the league is structured towards achieving parity. For those unsatisfied with no Lombardi every season think about how hard it is to get to the championship game even and how a great number of things need to line up for that to happen. As well, think about how it must feel to be a fan of Cleveland or the sad sack Jets, or the Saints or a few other teams for the past few years.

it is great that as fans of the team we have recently come to the expectation of superiority, but it is wise to remember that things change and that can happen quickly.

2017 to be Pete Carroll's Get It Done or Move On Season? Answer: absolutely not!!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":3bx37fke said:
When I hear it from Pete, I'll believe it. I'd bet that in Paul Allen's mind, Pete can stay and coach here as long as he wants to.

You don't fire successful coaches until they have 2-3 losing seasons in a row. We're still on our run of 10+ wins per year.

:229031_shrug:
Absolutely. :vodka:

Hawks46

Reaction score
1. as referenced above, we've made the playoffs every year 2011. something obviously working.

2. When you have a franchise QB, every year should be considered a "win now" year. The window is always open with a top QB. Couple that with a good core of solid defensive players, and it should be taken in context: you fill what holes you can. Also taken in context is the position of the FA....the OL as a whole needs time to develop. You can't just draft a guy and expect an impact anymore, so getting a FA for one year while a guy develops is a solid strategy. Not an exit strategy.

3. Last year was a disappointment, but not a failure. There aren't many teams in the league that could sustain all the injuries that we did, including our starting QB, and still make the playoffs.

I'm not worried about it.

Donn2390

Reaction score
semiahmoo":jsjka4b0 said:
There's a great thread in here (1 Year FA philosophy - risky? ) that hints at an organization preparing for a "one more time" mentality on the part of the organization before potentially top to bottom changes are made after 2017 if things don't go as well as hoped.

I speculated before the end of last season that PC might have one foot out the door already. Yes, I know his contract has him here thru the 2019 season when he would be pushing up hard against 70 years of age but the moves this off-season give at least some suggestion of a "get it down now" mentality by Seahawks' management.

Just a feeling. Feel free to disregard, but I'm sticking with my earlier sense that Pete was real tired last season and downright exhausted by the end of it. Coaching this version of the Hawks has become a daunting task given its growing list of shortcomings.

If we have a 2017 that's as bad or worse than 2016, I do think Pete will be giving serious consideration to moving that other foot out the door.

The other side of things is if RW shows up to camp healthy, lean, fast, and ready (as I think he will be) we get the O-Line disaster at least somewhat mitigated, the offensive scheme pulls its head out of its ass and learns to better utilize the enormous talent that is Graham, we have a running game that is more consistent game in and game out, and a defense that stays relatively healthy and plays hungrier/meaner than it did last season, Pete would of course be more inclined to stick around to the end of his current contract.

Gettyimages 493257678
I couldn't even continue reading past the first paragraph, what a bunch of horse dropping. You really need to cut down on the coffee, or whatever it is causing your imagination to go into overdrive.. Get a grip...!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
giphy.gif

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1rdic19z said:
I'm not going to go as far as "Pete needs to move on if he doesn't get back to another SB."

BUT, I will say of all of Sherman's antics last year, the statement he made that troubled me the most is when he kinda mocked Pete in an interview when asked about the closed door team meeting. Sherman said "you know, just another Pete kumbayah pep talk." Or something to that effect.

That tells me that Positive Pete's philosophical glass is always half full approach might indeed be wearing off on the older veterans that have heard it now for 5-6 years.

So I wouldn't say if we have another disappointing season full of the same nonsense, then no it's not time for Pete to move on, it's time to jettison some of the veterans that are soaking up all the cap space and no longer buying into what Pete's pushing.

I totally agree there. And I would think Allen would side with Pete over some of this player egos that have been making more noise than on-the-field results lately. That's the downside of winning a SB. Certain players start to think they are irreplaceable.

Not so.

This thread is NOT anti-Pete. Far from it. I just saw him as looking more burnt out by the end of the season because it was one tough grind last year and it now seems like the organization is running on more than a bit of "we better get it right this year or Pete is gone" mentality.

I might be off on that, but instinct says otherwise.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Pete already got it done. There's nothing to prove. We've been to the Super Bowl twice and we won one of them. Other than the crowd in New England, can you name another team in recent history that's done better?

We would be stupid to move on from Pete Carroll. You don't throw away success.

It has taken decades, but we are now at the point where opposing fans see us on the schedule and mark the game as a likely loss. For some of us, that kind of respect almost means more than a Super Bowl win.

Have we forgotten already the perennial 8-8 seasons where we neither do well enough to make the playoffs nor poorly enough to get a decent draft position? The entire season consisted of us wondering if we'd make the playoffs, knowing we were likely to exit in the first round, but considering just making the playoffs a successful year. That sucked. That sucked big time.

We have hope now. Things are good. Things are better than they have ever been in this franchise. Even if we don't make the Super Bowl every year, we can pretty much count on going past the opening round of the playoffs.

Anyone who thinks Pete should be on the way out without another Super Bowl this year needs to remember what things used to be. Because anyone who remembers that would give anything not to go back.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
jammerhawk":z48j5e5w said:
Nice post Kiwi!!!

Very much my exact thinking!

Both of your posts were spot on. I think it could be said that back in the dark times, even Cleveland did not worry about us on the schedule.....now not so much.

To extend what Jammer said on his post...the 40-3 games are not exciting to all fans. That is what NFL is about is all fans. If someone wants to go fishing because they expect a blowout, they can without concern. Parity, close games, keeping the advertisers happy....all lead to NFL success. Blowouts all the time lead to watching curling.

Mick063

Reaction score
Threads like this make me abandon this place for weeks at a time.

Is there another "fan" forum? Please direct me to it.

nash72

Reaction score
I dont think Pete can get us back to another Superbowl and this is why I think he needs to go. I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs and getting bounced in the 2nd round. The team has the talent right now to win Superbowls and thats what we should expect. I think Petes philosophy is old and tired and is holding the team back, plus I still feel that the team has never recovered from SB49 and wont while he's still here. I dont expect this team to win games 40-3 like somebody mentioned before, but it would be neat to win more games by a comfortable margin rather than it almost always going down to the wire. Regardless, if I was Paul Allen, I would offer Josh McDaniels the world and hire him in 2018.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":5t1tt1hs said:
It would be nice and sensible to not refer to 2016 as such an abject failure.

We don't tend to agree on much, but I agree with this. I stopped reading the OP at "as bad or worse".

HawkGA

Reaction score
nash72":2ur494tv said:
I dont think Pete can get us back to another Superbowl and this is why I think he needs to go. I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs and getting bounced in the 2nd round. The team has the talent right now to win Superbowls and thats what we should expect. I think Petes philosophy is old and tired and is holding the team back, plus I still feel that the team has never recovered from SB49 and wont while he's still here. I dont expect this team to win games 40-3 like somebody mentioned before, but it would be neat to win more games by a comfortable margin rather than it almost always going down to the wire. Regardless, if I was Paul Allen, I would offer Josh McDaniels the world and hire him in 2018.

Remember when the Patriots went 10 years without winning the Super Bowl so they fired Belicheck . . . . oh wait.

All of that said, Pete is getting up there in years and I suspect he isn't much longer for the coaching world. I'm thinking he coaches the next two seasons and then re-evaluates (he won't go into a season as a lame duck). But when he eventually leaves, it will almost certainly be on his terms.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":207sejw5 said:
I'm really sick of the "we make the playoffs every year, life is great" argument.

Well, you're gonna hear it anyway, because it makes the alarmist talk really incongruous. Sometimes I don't think you guys even saw 2009.

The quality of the team is what gets you to the playoffs. From there, it comes down to a handful of pivotal plays. That's it. The top eight teams are pretty similar in overall quantity. We're fine. It just comes down to whether the team chooses to execute.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The only thing that will limit Pete's time here is Pete Carroll.

nanomoz

Reaction score
"If we have a 2017 that's as bad or worse than 2016, I do think Pete will be giving serious consideration to moving that other foot out the door."

It's hard to engage in the OP, because of the above. This team made it to the divisional round of the playoffs. I remember when it'd been 20-something years since the Hawks had won a playoff game.