2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
It wasnt on servais yesterday. The players didnt perform. From Paxton(who was alright but was taxed) to cook to scrabble,etc.

DJrmb

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1q8izkbn said:
He gave up on Paxton too early for starters. He was at 89 pitches. He's the ace of this staff. Seems pretty common for Servais to give up on his starter too early. Let alone his lack of ability to handle the bullpen showed yet again.
Just my opinion, but he has a LONG way to go as a manager.

I agree with you on this. Paxton is good for at least 100 pitches and he should have been back out there to pitch the 6th and at the very least see how many more outs he could get. Yeah he had a taxing inning in the 5th but the Texas pitcher had just as taxing an inning (if not more) and came right back out and threw over 100 pitches. There are too many question marks in this bullpen right now before you get to Diaz and Colome. If you get 1 more inning out of Paxton there you can likely go Altavilla, Colome, Diaz, win imho.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Last night was the second time this season that Servais has gone away from Paxton too early and cost us the game. Really weird to me that he's not letting the ace starter, who can regularly go the distance, not even try to make it through the 6th while his pitch count is still under 100.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Bullpen has crapped the bed two nights in a row. Sometimes in sports when you make a trade during great times it can disrupt momentum. Is that what is happening right now? It's kind of interesting, because we traded for Colome and Span right when Gamel and Nicasio were starting to get it together.

avengerboater

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2d9w05ts said:
Let Paxton go atleast another batter or 2. Not go to Rzep with men on 2nd and 3rd in a close game, he is trash. Either leave Cook in, or go to literally anyone else.

Im not as down as a lot of people on Nicassio. He reminds me of Diaz last season. He's been very good at times but then just has horrible stretches. He was put in a bases loaded situation and gave up a hit but then was lights out.

Unfortunately we wasted a lot of our bullpen in Felix's start because Felix is awful.

^^^This. :ditto:

No one could figure out why Pax was pulled after 5 innings when his pitch count was only 89. Yea, he had a bad 5th, but Texas' Moore was struggling as well and they let him go for 108 pitches. I'm sure Pax could've at least gotten one or two more outs if not finish out the 6th. Then they could've turned it over to the pen with Cook/Altavilla/Nicasio, Colome, then Diaz.

Like someone had already mentioned, putting Scrabble in with runners on 2nd and 3rd was absolutely asinine. He just doesn't have the stuff to get through high leverage situations, let alone getting outs with bases empty. His season has been a dumpster fire. Maybe let Cook go another batter or anyone else besides Zep.

And what's with the intentional walk to Profar in the 7th??? Only to get to Gallo, who btw, hasn't hit into a double play this ENTIRE season? Then we promptly walked Gallo and give up a 2 run double to the next guy. Profar turned out to be the one-run difference in the game.

Then there's playing Span over a recently streaking and hot Ben Gamel. No clue.

Ahh, well. It's still 2 games out of 162, but we should've won last night's game. Felix... that's a whole different story.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think we will find out a lot about this team today. If we want to be taken seriously, we can't lose this four game series to the Rangers. Hopefully Dee Gordon can return and add a spark tonight.

Also heard that Sergio Romo is suppose to start for Tampa tomorrow. Should be interesting.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1sr8dk99 said:
He gave up on Paxton too early for starters. He was at 89 pitches. He's the ace of this staff. Seems pretty common for Servais to give up on his starter too early. Let alone his lack of ability to handle the bullpen showed yet again.
Just my opinion, but he has a LONG way to go as a manager.

Paxton was off last night and getting smacked around. Removing him was the correct choice.

But, I am arguing with hindsight.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2acixgii said:
I think we will find out a lot about this team today. If we want to be taken seriously, we can't lose this four game series to the Rangers. Hopefully Dee Gordon can return and add a spark tonight.

Also heard that Sergio Romo is suppose to start for Tampa tomorrow. Should be interesting.

TB has been doing that for a few games now.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Span is fitting in really well. High contact hitter with a .358 OBP. Funny thing is Gamel just recently started heating up. M's outfield situation is looking much brighter than a few weeks ago.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":12puqgvw said:

It happens. Detroit took 3 of 4 vs angels

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Credit where it's due, Nicasio is starting to look like a pitcher :)
And Boom Stick is heating up, it was only a matter of time. Biggest surprise to me is Leblanc, he has been $
And that play by Gordon on that shallow pop fly to RF, are you kidding me? Unreal. That guy has a cannon and that wasn't deep at all, and he somehow gets in there. Him and Segura just change the game overall. But Gordon was one hell of a pickup imo. Game changer.

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":7o3wy4q5 said:
Credit where it's due, Nicasio is starting to look like a pitcher :)
And Boom Stick is heating up, it was only a matter of time. Biggest surprise to me is Leblanc, he has been $
Baseball is a game of streaks. They play up, they play down. I'm glad they held the line at 2 losses in a row. So far, it seems we've had more winning streaks than losing streaks so far this year. Let's hope it continues.

Did anybody really think that Pax was gonna keep throwing no-nos and 15 K games every 5 days? If so, I know a guy selling a bridge you may want to talk to. Baseball is also a game of adjustments. Maybe Pas lost a bit of sharpness. That was not the first time that a team fouled off 15-20 pitches a game or more. I don't have a problem with pulling him in that situation. He looked done for the day. Let him rest up and get ready for the next outing instead of leaving him out there and keep grinding his confidence down.

Looks like we're phasing into a period where the offense can carry them instead of just the pitching/D. I hope it lasts through the 'Stros series, at least. Nice to see them score in more than just 1/2 innings.

Welcome back Dee! He adds so much to the top of the lineup, though I wish he'd take more walks. (Of course, we said the same thing about Ichiro, too. ;))

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, many ups and downs over the season. This team is playing their asses off. Glad they are loading up on wins, June is gonna' be quite the Gauntlet.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'ts June 1. Seattle is in the second wildcard spot, and only 1 game behind Houston in the AL West. Who would've thought?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SeatownJay":s6tw8pr7 said:
I'ts June 1. Seattle is in the second wildcard spot, and only 1 game behind Houston in the AL West. Who would've thought?

Definitely not. But M's always do best when expectations low. For the most part, expectations were low going into this season after missing out on Othani and not upgrading the starting pitching.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah. Zep has been pretty ineffectual this year so far. He was pretty good last year for coming in and getting a leftie out, has sucked this year. IIRC Elias had some promise.

Good to see them taking action. :2thumbs:

DJrmb

Reaction score
Mariners designated LHP Marc Rzepczynski for assignment.

Rzepczynski is still owed about $3.5 million of his two-year contract, but the M's have decided to go ahead and cut bait after the southpaw posted a 9.39 ERA and 10/9 K/BB ratio over 7 2/3 innings this season. The left-hander wasn't very good for Seattle in 2016, either. Roenis Elias is taking his spot in the bullpen.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6014/marc-rzepczynski