2021 Disaster.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I do think it's worth speculating forwards to see how the roster will develop in the future, but it's silly to worry about expiring FA for the same reason that it's silly to make too much of "upcoming cap room" like people did last off-season. The biggest expense is not even on that list, and it's going to be the Jamal Adams extension.

Good franchises pay the few players who are difference makers and worth it, and let the rest walk in exchange for compensatory picks. The bulk of the roster is then made up of players on rookie deals or minimum veteran contracts.

The only thing to get too concerned about is overpaying a bunch of mediocre players. In that vein, the thing to be concerned about on your list in 2021 is that we might overpay Carson or Griffin. I don't see that happening, but whether you or do or not it's premature to talk about disasters.

Nunya

Reaction score
AgentDib":2qwbvb1x said:
I do think it's worth speculating forwards to see how the roster will develop in the future, but it's silly to worry about expiring FA for the same reason that it's silly to make too much of "upcoming cap room" like people did last off-season. The biggest expense is not even on that list, and it's going to be the Jamal Adams extension.

Good franchises pay the few players who are difference makers and worth it, and let the rest walk in exchange for compensatory picks. The bulk of the roster is then made up of players on rookie deals or minimum veteran contracts.

The only thing to get too concerned about is overpaying a bunch of mediocre players. In that vein, the thing to be concerned about on your list in 2021 is that we might overpay Carson or Griffin. I don't see that happening, but whether you or do or not it's premature to talk about disasters.

Adams is already signed through 2021. Reported $9.8 mil.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
poly1274":dqnvyilw said:
DHawk":dqnvyilw said:
That list has MAYBE five players on it that could be considered big losses. The rest are fringe players that are on one year deals or only came here because of injuries last season and likely fringe players this season because of that. We haven't even been able to see how our recent draft class looks do to Covid this year. Under regular circumstances we would have a better idea about now. I don't think its anything to stress about yet though.

Poona Ford
Chris Carson
Shaquill Griffin
Ethan Pocic
Philiip Dorsett
Quinton Dunbar ( Big question mark)
Jacob Hollister
Bruce Irvin

The first 4, are gonna be looking at 7-9 mill each + per year

And Dunbar ( Depends on what happen this season) is gonna look at maybe 14-18mill+

Someone might pay that. I'd question their sanity if the same front office paid out those numbers for those players.

Teahawks

Reaction score
Every other team is going to be in a tough position if the salary cap does indeed go down a lot next year.

So it's not like someone is going to be hoarding top free agents. We already got our big signing in Adams. You have a top 2 QB, MLB, and Safety. You'll have a high floor (and have since 2012).

Griffin and Carson would be the only two worthy of an extension, and that could easily be done unless someone wants to overpay.

So "disaster"? Let me know when we're even close to being of the same ilk as the Browns, Jets, and Lions. That's a real disaster.

getnasty

Reaction score
poly1274":rzn3fmf1 said:
Welp looks like this franchise gonna go in a full re-build season soon.

2021 Draft Picks

1st round-Jamal Adams(1st team all pro)
2nd round
4th round
5th round
6th round

2021 FA:
KJ Wright
Greg Olsen
Bruce Irvin
Jacob Hollister
Benson Mayowa
Mike Lupati
Cedric Ogbuehi
David Moore
Quinton Dunbar
Luke Wilson
Geno Smith
Neiko Thrope
Nick Bellore
Ethan Pocic
Philiip Dorsett
Shaquill Griffin
Delano Hill
Jordan Simmons
Bryan Moore
Chris Carson
Poona Ford

I didn't put a full list, just people that I see that should be on here.

Fixed the 2021 draft for you.

HawksBrazil

Reaction score
poly1274":32jqpvr6 said:
DHawk":32jqpvr6 said:
That list has MAYBE five players on it that could be considered big losses. The rest are fringe players that are on one year deals or only came here because of injuries last season and likely fringe players this season because of that. We haven't even been able to see how our recent draft class looks do to Covid this year. Under regular circumstances we would have a better idea about now. I don't think its anything to stress about yet though.

Poona Ford
Chris Carson
Shaquill Griffin
Ethan Pocic
Philiip Dorsett
Jacob Hollister
Bruce Irvin

And Dunbar ( Depends on what happen this season) is gonna look at maybe 14-18mill+

Pocic making 7 million/year? I'll happily take the under there lol.
Top 3 on the list should be the priority. The remaining ones seem like could be replaced through draft/free agency if needed.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If other teams overpay for those players then that helps us because it gives us better comp picks. It's only a problem if we do the overpaying.

Nunya":ommss2s6 said:
Adams is already signed through 2021. Reported $9.8 mil.
He's going to want his big deal and one year early would be a normal extension timing. The agreement between him and the FO was that he would play under his current contract in 2020.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team will do an extension with him that kicks in 2022, and perhaps gives him some bonus $ earlier.

With his friend Diggs here, if he’s kept after this season, Adams will want to stay. Keeping him will be important and the difference between $9.8 million and $15 or thereabouts won’t be that significant a hit, presuming he maintains a high level of play.

The team will be in good shape.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
2021 draft will be screwed anyway because the college season will probably be impacted by Covid-19. Would you like to go into a draft where you haven't seen the guys play for a year? It's gonna be chaos.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
HawksBrazil":120knyry said:
poly1274":120knyry said:
DHawk":120knyry said:

Poona Ford
Chris Carson
Shaquill Griffin
Ethan Pocic
Philiip Dorsett
Jacob Hollister
Bruce Irvin

Pocic making 7 million/year? I'll happily take the under there lol.
Top 3 on the list should be the priority. The remaining ones seem like could be replaced through draft/free agency if needed.

Fant's making 10mill a year. I think Dunbar will be suspended 6 games, and will be a FA next season.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1l26jvvs said:
2021 draft will be screwed anyway because the college season will probably be impacted by Covid-19. Would you like to go into a draft where you haven't seen the guys play for a year? It's gonna be chaos.

If there's no NFL season, there won't be a 2021 draft, It will move on to next year.

KinesProf

Reaction score
poly1274":wo1pxrim said:
KiwiHawk":wo1pxrim said:

If there's no NFL season, there won't be a 2021 draft, It will move on to next year.

Where did you hear that, are you able to provide a citation? Do the college prospects just become free agents in that scenario?

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
KinesProf":3njp02hb said:
poly1274":3njp02hb said:
KiwiHawk":3njp02hb said:

Where did you hear that, are you able to provide a citation? Do the college prospects just become free agents in that scenario?

No I just thought about it.

They wouldn't let them be able to apply for the NFL Draft.
You really think Bengals are going to get the #1 pick again? That would seem unfair.

Jville

Reaction score
MY O' My ......

Somehow ...... it looks like a few of us have been ignoring John Schneider's persistent emphasis on roster flexibility. Surprise .... surprise.

If ya travel on over to the "over-the-cap" site and make the mental adjustments of reducing that site's current posted 2021 cap number downward from it's stated value to a projected $175 million number, it results in 2 out of 5 NFL teams as over the cap for 2021.

Shazam ...... a lesson in the importance of cap management and roster flexibility over multiple years. We're in good hands.