2nd Round,#52 Pick RB UCLA Zach Charbonnet

GemCity

Reaction score
They finally picked one off my list. Only took me four players in to hit the board! LOL
And I didn't think this would be the one either.
Our center got away from us. Got one left if we want one.

I thought we had two picks in the 50s close together. What happened?
Someone get KC on the phone and see if we can trade Eskridge for Creed. Straight up! No fleecing.

🙃

CPHawk

Reaction score
That is what every negative Nelly says about every pick. Always not at the right draft position. Hawks are nailing this again.
Some people think Kiper is right. Oh they “experts” say he should for 10 spots lower. Should have traded down with the invisible team that didn’t want to trade up 10 spots.

Boohman14

Reaction score
He was at UCLA, many of us must remember him. He's a great runner after contact. He's our short yardage back, when you just need a yard to move the chains. He can catch and is a great back for screen pass plays. We won't see him brought down by arm tackles. I love this pick for us.
I don't think we NEED another back in the draft, DJ isn't awful plus there could be some good value in the free agent market both rookie and vets.

Chapow

Reaction score
After spending the past 20-ish minutes looking at various 2023 NFL Draft RB rankings, most had Charbonnet as the 3rd best RB in the draft, a couple had him as the 2nd best, and I only found 1 that had him as the 4th best. Similarly, the consensus seemed to be that #50 is right about where he would be picked.

They basically all had similar versions of the following,

"Bottom Line: With all due respect to the aforementioned (Bijon) Robinson, after excelling in two vastly different NFL schemes, Charbonnet enters the draft process as arguably the most proven back in the class. Offering a prototypical combination of size, speed and power, Charbonnet is a top-50 candidate and looks like a future NFL workhorse.

Grade: Top 50"

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-draft-rb-rankings-bijan-robinson-stands-out-in-deep-class

CPHawk

Reaction score
He always reminded me of a smaller Larry Johnson.

D

DomeHawk

After spending the past 20-ish minutes looking at various 2023 NFL Draft RB rankings, most had Charbonnet as the 3rd best RB in the draft, a couple had him as the 2nd best, and I only found 1 that had him as the 4th best. Similarly, the consensus seemed to be that #50 is right about where he would be picked.

They basically all had similar versions of the following,

"Bottom Line: With all due respect to the aforementioned (Bijon) Robinson, after excelling in two vastly different NFL schemes, Charbonnet enters the draft process as arguably the most proven back in the class. Offering a prototypical combination of size, speed and power, Charbonnet is a top-50 candidate and looks like a future NFL workhorse.

Grade: Top 50"

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-draft-rb-rankings-bijan-robinson-stands-out-in-deep-class
Good post!

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think Zach is the 3rd down back now.

Excellent and strong blocker plus a very effective receiver.
It will certainly be interesting to see how we use him.

Charbonnet does has soft hands but he's not much of a route runner yet. At UCLA he was mainly leaking out of the backfield to catch wide open passes in space. In the NFL LBs will close on that far more quickly and he'll need to improve his footwork. He also hardly ever pass blocked after transferring to UCLA (26 snaps last season) and so that's somewhat of a mystery still for me. I do like his development potential on that front.

warden

Reaction score
He was my 2nd favorite RB in the draft, so good value IMO. He could be a starter on most teams. Zach isn't as finese as K-9, but more in the mold of Marshawn Lynch. We now have amazing WRs and RBs.
And TEs

BamKam

Reaction score
Here come all the arm chair GMs with their hot takes. LiKe ThE pLaYeR jUsT nOt HeRe.

Kenneth Walker isn’t playing every down and we needed someone badly. Dee Jay Dallas is not it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What I find most interesting is that Charbonet may outperform Bijan at the NFL Level.

I posted a Top Billin' video the other day that had Bijan only getting 2.4 YPC vs TCU, and 2.6 YPC vs Alabama.

ivotuk

Reaction score

The Athletic's take (an excerpt from behind the paywall):
52. Seattle Seahawks: Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Pete Carroll has an affinity for running the ball, and with Kenneth Walker III and now Charbonnet, not only do the Seahawks have a talented 1-2 punch, but they also have two different types of runners.

In 10 games last year, Charbonnet (6-0, 214) rushed for 1,358 yards on 194 carries (7.0 yards per carry) with 14 touchdowns. He also was critical in the pass game with 37 catches on 44 targets for 320 yards. Perhaps most impressive was that Charbonnet averaged 4.2 yards after contact and fumbled only twice in his four-year career.

Charbonnet began his career at Michigan and led the Wolverines in rushing as a true freshman in 2019. In the COVID-altering 2020 season, he started three of Michigan’s six games and was a rotational back. He transferred to UCLA shortly after the season.

Grade: B+