4 year extension for Sark?

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Chris, In Sark's second year, Husky fans were pretty happy about the bowl game and win. Coug fans are pretty happy about being bowl eligible. Leach took over a dumpster fire and has taken a real young team and squeezed six wins out of it, just like Sark did, although I'd say Leach has far less talent than Sark did in 2010.

I think Kearly's argument that you can't judge a coach by wins is pretty silly. John L Smith had a great statistical career coaching at Michigan State, but he got fired because he couldn't win games. Bill Doba put a lot of people in the NFL, his offense set all sorts of WSU passing records(which is hard to do) but he got fired, why? Didn't win enough. Wins matter.

chris98251

Reaction score
seahawk2k":ej36nm8o said:
Chris, In Sark's second year, Husky fans were pretty happy about the bowl game and win. Coug fans are pretty happy about being bowl eligible. Leach took over a dumpster fire and has taken a real young team and squeezed six wins out of it, just like Sark did, although I'd say Leach has far less talent than Sark did in 2010.

I think Kearly's argument that you can't judge a coach by wins is pretty silly. John L Smith had a great statistical career coaching at Michigan State, but he got fired because he couldn't win games. Bill Doba put a lot of people in the NFL, his offense set all sorts of WSU passing records(which is hard to do) but he got fired, why? Didn't win enough. Wins matter.

I can agree with the statement your making, in the impatient society we have now people want more instant gratification and yes it costs people jobs. I'm of a different mind set when it comes to building long term, Sark has made adjustment to his staff when there was a weakness, he has settled in about learning to be a head coach, very young as far as experience goes still though. Most iconic coaches come from areas that get a lot less spotlight to learn their craft. James at Kent State for the Dawgs to learn how to put a system in place.

Taking a look at Pete he failed on a few fronts due to impatience of owners and fans, given the chance at USC and then here to re evaluate his approach, getting the blessing of doing it his way and the room to do so we have seen the results as did USC.

drrew

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":vph6le6e said:
I find it interesting that the standards for professional sports are drastically different. I dont understand why mediocrity is justified for UW.

If you're horrible in the NFL/NBA/MLB etc., you get your choice of the best players not already in that league.

If you're horrible in the NCAA, the best players go to Alabama, Ohio State, etc.

If find it interesting that anyone would not understand that the standards for professional sports are drastically different.

UW under Willingham was the extreme bottom of the barrel of NCAA football. It should come as no surprise that it takes a little bit of time to rebuild from those abject lows. I have no problem with a 3 or 4 year extension for Sark. That would see 4 recruiting classes come and go through the program. He should be competing for Pac12 championships at that point. If he isn't, you hire someone else who walks into an exponentially better program than what Sark walked into, and you hope for the best.

chris98251

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1wjgmu8l said:
I find it interesting that the standards for professional sports are drastically different. I dont understand why mediocrity is justified for UW.

It isn't, I guess they can schedule 4 community college games like a lot of other programs do(sarcasm) that have more wins in a season but fall off when they are FORCED to play teams that are higher competition.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Sark is a mediocre coach, he will never take us beyond mid-tier of the PAC, so if that is acceptable to anyone, then keep him. Personally, I think we should ditch him and get a proven coach in here. Sark CONSISTENTLY does less with more. He has top tier talent but crap results, every year. He is a loser, there is no other way to say it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Name this top tier coach they have to entice to come here? Lane Kiffen? Also doesn't this top tier coach have to want to come here?

pcbball12

Reaction score
MLOhawks":19m52wf2 said:
Sark is a mediocre coach, he will never take us beyond mid-tier of the PAC, so if that is acceptable to anyone, then keep him. Personally, I think we should ditch him and get a proven coach in here. Sark CONSISTENTLY does less with more. He has top tier talent but crap results, every year. He is a loser, there is no other way to say it.
Who exactly do you think brings in the top tier talent? He has just gotten the program to a point where they can now compete for top tier recruits. When he inherited the program, no top tier recruit even wanted to be a part of UW.

Subzero717

Reaction score
chris98251":1hgtbim5 said:
CALIHAWK1":1hgtbim5 said:

It isn't, I guess they can schedule 4 community college games like a lot of other programs do(sarcasm) that have more wins in a season but fall off when they are FORCED to play teams that are higher competition.

Are being sarcastic or not? Dawgs played Idaho State.

hawk45

Reaction score
chris98251":18k55afu said:
Considering where the program was, he has reached a plataue that may take a few assessments to take another step up. I think many are spoiled by Duck success and Seahawks recent success also and there is a certain level of impatience. I don't see people beating up Leach yet and he is much higher profile hire. Where's the conference championship in the house of Cougs and the pile on for not beating the Huskies Friday.

Leach's 6 wins this year are far, far more impressive than Sark's 7 wins, given that he's doing it at Washington State. If I were a WSU fan I'd be thrilled. Heck, UW didn't beat anyone this year that WSU didn't beat. Now look at the talent and recruiting possibilities for both programs and say with a straight face Sark's done a great job.

Leach's team also, by beating UW last year, managed something in a down year that Sark hardly EVER manages. They won a game they shouldn't have won. Sark is an ace at beating up on the weak sisters of the NCAA.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can say what you will, beating USC, Nebraska early on I woud think is more the weak sisters. He has also been able to handle Stanford and Cal at times. Oregon, well ok but then again Oregon has made most the NCAA look like weak sisters.

Has he been a world beater, no, he as far as I am concerned still is learning how to be a head coach as I stated above. I think he is going to improve because he is open to change to fit his athletes abilities. His recruiting of lineman is his biggest downfall. A good line and he can implement what he wants.

drrew

Reaction score
hawk45":34rzdvju said:
Leach's team also, by beating UW last year, managed something in a down year that Sark hardly EVER manages. They won a game they shouldn't have won. Sark is an ace at beating up on the weak sisters of the NCAA.

You're so right, the UW under Sark hardly EVER manages to win against teams they shouldn't .... oh wait, that's complete bullshit.

Below is a list of win by UW against ranked teams since Sark started coaching.

Boise State '13 (ranked 19th at gametime)
Stanford '12 (ranked 8th at gametime)
Oregon State '12 (ranked 7th at gametime)
USC '10 (ranked 18th at gametime)
Oregon State (ranked 24th at gametime)
Nebraska '10 (ranked 18th at gametime)
USC '09 (ranked 3rd at gametime)
California '09 (ranked 19th at gametime)

Is he the greatest coach ever? Of course not, but he took over a team that was 0-12. ZERO WINS and TWELVE LOSSES. After five seasons, he'll have led a team that had ZERO WINS and TWELVE LOSSES to it's fourth straight bowl appearance. I looked at every zero win season since 1960, the number of other teams that accomplished what Sarkisian has done within 5 years? That fun number again. Zero.

davidonmi

Reaction score
pcbball12":25l5yzhw said:
MLOhawks":25l5yzhw said:
Who exactly do you think brings in the top tier talent? He has just gotten the program to a point where they can now compete for top tier recruits. When he inherited the program, no top tier recruit even wanted to be a part of UW.
the team he took over had double digit NFL players. Kelemente, Polk, Locker, Butler, Foster, Te'o Nesheim, Aguilar, kearse. It isn't like he took over a team that had 0 talent. This year the offense constantly sputtered against top competition despite having an all american type TE, a plethora of WR's, an all american RB and a QB who was 2nd in the conference in efficiency. This team should've won more games than they did. There was also no excuse to go 7-6 in 2011 with all the talent they had. The only years the team hasn't underachieved was 2012, and 2010.

davidonmi

Reaction score
everyone who's talking about how this season is progress is falling under the trap set up by woodward. We didn't beat any above average teams this year. Plus we still went 5-4 in conference. The only difference is we replaced LSU and 2 patsies with 3 patsies

Subzero717

Reaction score
pcbball12":hgdx7wdr said:
MLOhawks":hgdx7wdr said:
Who exactly do you think brings in the top tier talent?.

I might agree with this statement alone.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Sark is not a head coach, he is an assistant coach learning on the job. I wouldn't mind him as an OC or recruiter (although he can't linemen very well) but as a HC he is mediocre and that is his high point right now in his career.

Is mediocre good enough for you? It's not for me.

Seven Win Steve will keep us mired in mediocrity for years to come.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Just read that he officially spoke with USC about the vacancy. I will post a link later. I'm on my phone. Please, please, please let it be.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I saw a tweet from clay Travis saying franklin has not met with USC, sure sounds like the job is sark's. This would be a great day

davidonmi

Reaction score
Bleenor says sark is gone, Ruth says it's down to sark and orgeron. I know these aren't the most trustworthy sources, but great news if they're correct