49ers are an 2018-19 threar

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Off season game tape review will change what we're seeing in Jimmy G. Just look at how Dak is doing this season.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":83qot4yg said:
The same 49ers fans who called themselves "faithful" but only have 15K in their stands, until they start winning. Then magically they become "faithful" again :roll:

Refusing to pay for overpriced seats and instead watching their team from the comfort of their living rooms in front of their big screens...just makes them financially savvy.

I hate the Niners just as much as anyone, but stupid comments...are still stupid regardless who you are talking about.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3et07xia said:
I really like the language of reliable weaknesses. It’s a good way to talk about things.

We don’t know if JGQ has any reliable weaknesses yet. Deep corners could end up being a reliable weakness for him. If so, you play press man single high with a safety patrolling the intermediate middle and you’re starting to neutralize the areas of the field in which he’s already shown the ability to excel. That could be true and it could not. We don’t know if he’s been missing on those throws due to small sample size or due to a more consistent issue. What we do know is that teams haven’t tried to force him into those throws yet. Whatever it is, Jacksonville’s base defense isn’t really designed to take away the areas in which we already know he excels.
You could be right, but I was definitely right today about his UNPREDICTABLE weaknesses. His interception before half time was a really, really stupid throw. Not only was he under pressure and throwing a deep curl into cover four (essentially triple coverage), his reciever slipped and appeared to be cutting off the route shallower than he expected.

So yeah, he makes some risky throws from time to time. You never know when it will happen, but st some point it will.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":audimznv said:
Off season game tape review will change what we're seeing in Jimmy G. Just look at how Dak is doing this season.

Yeah, they'll surely get Jimmy G once they figure out how to take away all of those read option runs and his 1600 yard running back. :roll:

Meanwhile the NFL never remotely figured out Russell Wilson right?

:lol:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":11syy3g4 said:
See my huge post above. I highly doubt it.

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1oawwgpx said:
Popeyejones":1oawwgpx said:
I really like the language of reliable weaknesses. It’s a good way to talk about things.

We don’t know if JGQ has any reliable weaknesses yet. Deep corners could end up being a reliable weakness for him. If so, you play press man single high with a safety patrolling the intermediate middle and you’re starting to neutralize the areas of the field in which he’s already shown the ability to excel. That could be true and it could not. We don’t know if he’s been missing on those throws due to small sample size or due to a more consistent issue. What we do know is that teams haven’t tried to force him into those throws yet. Whatever it is, Jacksonville’s base defense isn’t really designed to take away the areas in which we already know he excels.
You could be right, but I was definitely right today about his UNPREDICTABLE weaknesses. His interception before half time was a really, really stupid throw. Not only was he under pressure and throwing a deep curl into cover four (essentially triple coverage), his reciever slipped and appeared to be cutting off the route shallower than he expected.

So yeah, he makes some risky throws from time to time. You never know when it will happen, but st some point it will.

Next year will be a give and a take.

A part of JG's swagger and moxie this year is that of playing with "house money" since he was taking over a lost season of sorts. Next year he will be the QB no doubt with some pretty high expectations based off this one. There will be more pressure on him to perform, merely being the entrenched starter vs. being the new guy (see Kap 2013 vs Kap 2012).

Defenses will get a chance to analyze what they think are his weaknesses and scheme to take them away. Sure, no doubt.

But what weaknesses in Rodgers', Brees', Brady's game has been repeatedly exploited to beat those guys. Ultimately you beat those guys by taking away their run game, getting a good pass rush on them and having decent talent. There is no scheming to make those guys look bad.

Next year, if all goes well, Garoppolo will bring a far greater mastery of the playbook than he does now, along with the ability to work on his footwork and weaknesses as well.

He should have more weapons as well to go along with it. Maybe slightly better pass protection and running game as well.

Just think that Hoyer and Beathard threw more bombs than Garoppolo. Are we to believe they throw better deep balls than him when they can't come close to throwing every other pass that he does?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
adeltaY":13bau6oc said:
Clearly the Savior is Rodgers, Brees, Brady level. No reliable way to scheme against him
At this point there isn't any obvious thing other than his unpredictable bad decisions. You don't scheme for the unpredictable, you just stay ready for it.

However, Popeyejones could be right. He might have accuracy issues on deep corner routes. However, I only recall him attempting two or three off the top of my head, and with his inaccuracy issues there is also the added tidbit that he's been heavily pressured on almost all of them. If that's the case, if it's pressure that's affecting his deep game, then you aren't really scheming against HIM as much as taking advantage of the porous offensive line the 49ers have (in particular, the interior part).

I mean, Zane Beadles has been playing TACKLE the last few weeks.

But the dumb decisions, that is something that is kind of a trend with him. He will try to force balls he shouldn't, and he'll throw off his back foot under pressure instead of taking a sack, which is a double edged sword. These are not predictable things, however, except that you can be sure they will happen at random points in the game.

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Starvin Marvin still a big 49er fan I see. I bet he gets buried in his 49er gear and gives the team all his assets in his will. Garapolo balapolo. NFL sucks now. Not sure how anyone watches this crap.

rlkats

Reaction score
RationalNiner":3irt89tg said:
Starvin Marvin still a big 49er fan I see. I bet he gets buried in his 49er gear and gives the team all his assets in his will. Garapolo balapolo. NFL sucks now. Not sure how anyone watches this crap.

And yet you still waste tour beautiful time trolling on a hawk NFL message board. Nice careful you might sound like a hypocrite

adeltaY

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3mhihypr said:
adeltaY":3mhihypr said:
Clearly the Savior is Rodgers, Brees, Brady level. No reliable way to scheme against him
At this point there isn't any obvious thing other than his unpredictable bad decisions. You don't scheme for the unpredictable, you just stay ready for it.

However, Popeyejones could be right. He might have accuracy issues on deep corner routes. However, I only recall him attempting two or three off the top of my head, and with his inaccuracy issues there is also the added tidbit that he's been heavily pressured on almost all of them. If that's the case, if it's pressure that's affecting his deep game, then you aren't really scheming against HIM as much as taking advantage of the porous offensive line the 49ers have (in particular, the interior part).

But the dumb decisions, that is something that is kind of a trend with him. He will try to force balls he shouldn't, and he'll throw off his back foot under pressure instead of taking a sack, which is a double edged sword. These are not predictable things, however, except that you can be sure they will happen at random points in the game.

But the video I posted shows he has a mechanical flaw that impacts his deep passing. You can scheme against that reliably, no?

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":281fctl8 said:
RationalNiner":281fctl8 said:

And yet you still waste tour beautiful time trolling on a hawk NFL message board. Nice careful you might sound like a hypocrite

Don't bother man. He's just a troll bein' a troll.

Marvin49

Reaction score
adeltaY":3toi5hd7 said:
5_Golden_Rings":3toi5hd7 said:
adeltaY":3toi5hd7 said:

But the video I posted shows he has a mechanical flaw that impacts his deep passing. You can scheme against that reliably, no?

I saw that video as well.

I hope he works on his mechanical issues on deeper throws, but even if he never gets any better (and I think he will) in that regard he is pretty damn good on short/intermediate throws. The speed of his release is ludicrous. You can make a living on those throws.

I'm not anointing him anything or saying the Niners are going to the SB or anything like that, but I will say for the first time in a long time I am really happy with the QB in Ninerland.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
adeltaY":34azynuj said:
5_Golden_Rings":34azynuj said:
adeltaY":34azynuj said:

But the video I posted shows he has a mechanical flaw that impacts his deep passing. You can scheme against that religious ably, no?

This is a good find, but that isn't a TELL about where he is going to throw like a slow release is. But even if it's a tendency, it's not going to help much. Cover the short stuff? It isn't a ten yard window he's throwing in. He makes his money on medium 15 yard ranged throws, which is why his yards per attempt is so high. And his fast release just makes him better at it than the likes of your standard game manager.

So sure, if he doesn't fix his fundamentals, he's not going to be very accurate down the field. But he WILL throw it down field, and Shanahan WILL get people open down field, which means teams will still have to respect it.

Basically, due to his release and decision making speed, only elite defense are really going to be able to take away his bread and butter. The rest will just have to wait for him to attempt hero throws.

adeltaY

Reaction score
You're making sense, but your bar seems pretty low. If you're saying he's doing really well because he doesn't have an obvious flaw that cripples his game, then I'm not sure I agree. Not being able to throw deep accurately with consistency is a problem. Again, I think Shanahan is one of the best in the league in working around that kind of thing, so it shouldn't be a huge problem, but it is a valid limitation. As of now, that is, it could very well improve.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Going to be interesting if the 9ers go after Jimmy G as a FA, then choose Barkley with their 1st round draft choice... scary.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2e0rvjkm said:
Going to be interesting if the 9ers go after Jimmy G as a FA, then choose Barkley with their 1st round draft choice... scary.

The Niners don’t have to “go after” Garoppolo I’m free agency. They will obviously try to negotiate a long term deal with him and his agent, but they can also just franchise tag him. Either way he will be a Niner next year. But all reports seem to indicate that the Niners will pay the man, and he will be their QB for at least 4-5 years. Their GM already said in an interview that they want him for a very long time.

If they freakin’ snag Barkley in the draft....I swear I will go outside and punch a wind chime.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
AF_BASS_MAN":r8r1jppg said:
Bobblehead":r8r1jppg said:

The Niners don’t have to “go after” Garoppolo I’m free agency. They will obviously try to negotiate a long term deal with him and his agent, but they can also just franchise tag him. Either way he will be a Niner next year. But all reports seem to indicate that the Niners will pay the man, and he will be their QB for at least 4-5 years. Their GM already said in an interview that they want him for a very long time.

If they freakin’ snag Barkley in the draft....I swear I will go outside and punch a wind chime.

Sorry, I was speaking of Jimmy Graham

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Bobblehead":low9ymzj said:

Agreed on Barkley, but they could get Ryan Jensen AND James Hurst for the price of Graham and still have money left over for another piece, and that would be MUCH, MUCH more scary.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Popeyejones":trh2yl61 said:
Bobblehead":trh2yl61 said:

Agreed on Barkley, but they could get Ryan Jensen AND James Hurst for the price of Graham and still have money left over for another piece, and that would be MUCH, MUCH more scary.

Reports are they have much more than that. I read they have something like 116M available, hell you could build an entire roster for that. There is no reason to think that anyone they want couldn't be had, especially now that they showed promised with Garoppolo down the stretch. Offensive players already liked playing for Shanahan and now with a QB in place, could be the desired location for potential FA's, although that high CA Taxation could damper it for some.

Let's hope they make bad decisions. :49ersmall: