49ers do it again

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How will Marvin be able to spin out of this?

rlkats

Reaction score
My avatar represents who is running the show in SF hahaha

chris98251

Reaction score
They are up and comers, they cannot possibly challenge Kelly for authority, Baalke and York could not fire Kelly and replace him with a more incompetent Coach.

Kelly the Evil Genius, has secured his job and has no threat to take it on the staff.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Dan Quinn was a coaching journeyman before Carroll pulled him up. As a matter of fact he was coaching at Florida in college before coming back to NFL. Wasn't much of anyone. O'Neal was great in 2014. This guy is an exceptional coach, stuck in Clevland. Pettine is an exceptional coach who was stuck in Clevland. Time will tell though. Ask yourself how you feel about Kris Richard? Not so hot these days huh? How many 4th quarter meltdowns this season? Him laying an egg in the playoffs? He certainly is riding the coat tails of Bradley an isn't doing a very good job. Oneal will be fine.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":3vvdnun4 said:
Dan Quinn was a coaching journeyman before Carroll pulled him up. As a matter of fact he was coaching at Florida in college before coming back to NFL. Wasn't much of anyone. O'Neal was great in 2014. This guy is an exceptional coach, stuck in Clevland. Pettine is an exceptional coach who was stuck in Clevland. Time will tell though. Ask yourself how you feel about Kris Richard? Not so hot these days huh? How many 4th quarter meltdowns this season? Him laying an egg in the playoffs? He certainly is riding the coat tails of Bradley an isn't doing a very good job. Oneal will be fine.

Yeah Richard failed miserably with a top tier rated defense, Quinn was in the NFL before going to Florida and was lured back out by Pete. The failed Miserably in Cleveland excuse is just that, they had players, the Head Coach dictates policy and what he wants to run, the Coordinators create that, or if they can't become unemployed. The Browns had reasonable talent on the defensive side of the ball, better then 29th or so rankings.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1qaosrg1 said:
Dan Quinn was a coaching journeyman before Carroll pulled him up. As a matter of fact he was coaching at Florida in college before coming back to NFL. Wasn't much of anyone.

Quinn had already coached in Seattle and was far and away the favorite for the job here at .NET. It was pretty commonly said that he simply needed to take the Florida gig in order to get some coordinator chops before stepping into the role in the NFL.

O'Neal was great in 2014. This guy is an exceptional coach, stuck in Clevland. Pettine is an exceptional coach who was stuck in Clevland. Time will tell though.

Even Niner fans are shooting down this argument of him being great in 2014. Pettine was the brains behind the 2014 defense (or so I've read) and in 2015 he reversed course and took a more active role with the offense. Anyone who can speak to this, feel free to correct me but it's what I've read from Niner fans.

Ask yourself how you feel about Kris Richard? Not so hot these days huh? How many 4th quarter meltdowns this season? Him laying an egg in the playoffs? He certainly is riding the coat tails of Bradley an isn't doing a very good job. Oneal will be fine.

Would you be referring to the Kris Richard who coordinated the top ranked scoring defense in the league in his first season as a coordinator? How are we feeling about that? How many points did Carolina score in the 2nd half of that playoff egg?

And riding the coat tails of Bradley? If you're going to ask rhetorical questions, at least take the time to learn which DC Richard replaced.

We should be upset with Richard but you think "Oneal" will be fine. :th2thumbs:

Niner fans upon hearing the final staff announced:

raising-arizona-rocky-place.gif

Laloosh

Reaction score
rlkats":1awzg4xj said:

I liked this better...

XkKJWAw

... was nice of you to admit it for a few days.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":3hdzj4xt said:
Dan Quinn was a coaching journeyman before Carroll pulled him up. As a matter of fact he was coaching at Florida in college before coming back to NFL. Wasn't much of anyone.

Revisionist history. Quinn turned Florida into a defensive powerhouse in his short stint there and was the favorite to take the Seattle job well before it was announced. Not only that, he had already worked with Carroll and Gus Bradley, as noted above. His stock was incredibly high when Seattle brought him back as DC.

The 49ers scraped the barrel with these hires. They may work out, who knows. But you scraped.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OC? Doesn't really matter since Kelly will be calling the plays anyway. Never expected a name hire there.

DC? Yeah. It's not exactly an inspiring hire. Chip needed a good DC and everything I've read doesn't lead me to believe O'Niel is that.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jp4d42j said:
Chip needed a good DC and everything I've read doesn't lead me to believe O'Niel is that.

Rather than his abilities as a DC I'd be more concerned that the word on him is the same word on Kelly: He's a POS that alienates everyone around him and nobody wants to play for.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3or4o6ti said:
Marvin49":3or4o6ti said:
Chip needed a good DC and everything I've read doesn't lead me to believe O'Niel is that.

Rather than his abilities as a DC I'd be more concerned that the word on him is the same word on Kelly: He's a POS that alienates everyone around him and nobody wants to play for.

Match made in heaven....can't wait for Free Agency. LOL.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I'm the first to say under the Yorks we haven't been the most stable organization. I would caution reading to much from Browns media, coaches & players about others. They are the Browns who are the most unstable organization in the NFL. No good coach has ever been successful there. Il give O'Neal the benefit of the doubt, Pettine thinks he is a very good coach & I think Pettine is a phenomenal defensive mind. He didn't just hire him because they are buddies. Players complained, but who doesn't complain in Clevland. Look at what they have done to Joe Thomas. They have made him completely content to be a loser his whole career. What a wasted talent. Of all the problems the Niners have had I think they have taken a big leap to get it right.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":w6rsvzmi said:
I'm the first to say under the Yorks we haven't been the most stable organization. I would caution reading to much from Browns media, coaches & players about others. They are the Browns who are the most unstable organization in the NFL. No good coach has ever been successful there. Il give O'Neal the benefit of the doubt, Pettine thinks he is a very good coach & I think Pettine is a phenomenal defensive mind. He didn't just hire him because they are buddies. Players complained, but who doesn't complain in Clevland. Look at what they have done to Joe Thomas. They have made him completely content to be a loser his whole career. What a wasted talent. Of all the problems the Niners have had I think they have taken a big leap to get it right.

Honest question... Are you intentionally spelling O'Neil and Cleveland incorrectly?

rlkats

Reaction score
Laloosh":2r9hi67d said:
rlkats":2r9hi67d said:

I liked this better...

XkKJWAw

... was nice of you to admit it for a few days.

Hahahahahahaha

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Yes I think I've spelled it wrong so many times that is the way my phone spells it out, so back to football.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marv, curious if you have any info to contradict Kawakami's latest on the DC hire regarding O'Neil's other options.

-There is no way O’Neil had any other teams considering him for a DC role this cycle, and he was only hired after Houston LBs coach Mike Vrabel declined the 49ers offer to remain with the Texans.

Again: Vrabel stayed as a position coach and turned down a chance to become a DC with the 49ers. You can make any excuse you want for it, but that is not how assistants treated 49ers job offers when they came from Jim Harbaugh, Steve Mariucci or Bill Walsh.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... la-chryst/

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":24sr885x said:
Marv, curious if you have any info to contradict Kawakami's latest on the DC hire regarding O'Neil's other options.

-There is no way O’Neil had any other teams considering him for a DC role this cycle, and he was only hired after Houston LBs coach Mike Vrabel declined the 49ers offer to remain with the Texans.

Again: Vrabel stayed as a position coach and turned down a chance to become a DC with the 49ers. You can make any excuse you want for it, but that is not how assistants treated 49ers job offers when they came from Jim Harbaugh, Steve Mariucci or Bill Walsh.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... la-chryst/

Nope.

I don't really need any tho. Thats entirely an opinion piece and thats what Timmy does. he takes what little info is out there and creates his own little novellas full of intrigue and strife regardless of the situation.

"There is no way O'Neil had any other teams considering him for a DC role this cycle". That is probably completely true. It doesn't say "sources say". It isn't new information. Its opinion.

It always is with Timmy. I'm not even saying he's wrong here. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the DC hire.

Whats the funniest to me though is when his opinions turn out to be false and then he gets all mad at the subject of the article. He reported two years ago that the 49ers were done with Aldon and he'd played his last down for SF. Then when the 49ers braught him back he rather famously got into the face of Harbaugh about it as if he were offended by it.

Thats Timmy.

...but back to your initial question...no, I have no info to discredit anything Timmy said just as I don't have any direct proof there are no unicorns. :D You can't prove a negative. I do know tho that the 49ers interviewed the DB coach from the Texans and at the very least selected O'Neil over Jason Tarver (who the retained as the OLB coach) and Eric Mangini (whom I think they should have kept).

Lets be real...Chips offense means that any DC they were going to hire was going to have to be willing to see his defenses be toward the bottom of the league statistically just because of the number of plays they'll be on the field. They were never going to get an established guy. They were always going to get a young guy willing to take on the challenge. I'm just not a fan of the guy they chose.

Laloosh

Reaction score
*Russian accent* - Marvin, I am disappoint.

I simply thought that a knowledgeable fan like yourself may have information contradictory to a specific claim made by The Oracle In Santa Clara.