49ers do it again

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1ayny1pa said:
NINEster":1ayny1pa said:
Kelly is a desperate coaching hire?

We know for a fact that Kelly wasn't Baalke's first choice, and Kelly's public displays of desperation the past couple months are well documented. This hire came down to Kelly and Mike Shanahan, two coaches nobody else even wanted to interview. It doesn't get much more desperate than that.

Look at who is on the roster for QBs, it makes sense. It would look more desperate for Cincinnati, or a team that's more "stable".

The 49ers have one of the worst QB situations in the league right now. Kelly doesn't really need a particular type of QB either. His ability to turn bad QBs into average starters is why he was less scared of the SF job than other coaches, but I wouldn't cite that as a reason to be excited.

I like Kelly, but his fit with the 49ers is the worst possible in the league. Even if he gets the offense rolling, and he probably will to an extent, his defenses are going to be so epicly bad that he'll probably be gone in a season or two. He's already inheriting a very, very bad defense, and now his hurry up style going to keep that horrible defense on the field an extra 200 plays next season.

Trent Baalke is a GM who would gladly fire a top 3 coach in a power struggle and hire the plummer to replace him. Chip Kelly was a tyrant who just got fired for wanting too much power. It's not going to work out.

Comparing Kelly to Tomsula smacks of Hawk hating homerism.

You have Niner fans questioning how the hell we won 5 games with Tomsula, looking back in retrospect.

Pete Carroll in 2010 I'm surely wasn't seen as the slam dunk hire as it appears now.

The Tomsula hire was a very obvious fall guy move, right down to his clown car sized contract, which is why I compared it to Dennis Erickson this time last year. And I was right.

Chip Kelly as a hire is less calculated but more desperate. Kelly's willingness to take any NFL HC job is what made him the guy. Look at how hard it was for the 49ers to even find good assistants the past couple years.

I don't know how the 49ers won 5 games either, their DVOA was league worst. But hey, I don't know how the 2009 Seahawks won five games either, it was their worst season statistically since 1992. Sometimes teams win a few games more than they should and vice-versa.

I thought Tomsula was nothing but a fall guy. I thought Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll were fantastic hires. And I wasn't all that excited about Jim Mora. But I guess I'm just a homer who doesn't know anything.

Just a few notes...

You are correct that nobody wanted to interview or hire Kelly, but should be noted that one of the big reason it happened in SF is that they were less scared off by the public perception of what went down in Philly because they had Tom Gamble on the payroll. They got a different version of the events in Philly from someone who was there. Is that a guarantee that it will work? Not by a long shot. I'm simply saying Kelly may not have gotten sniffs from anyone else because they were wary of what happened in Philly and the Niners had something of an advantage in that regard.

I really don't get your "bad fit" comment. You don't think he'll fit because his defenses would be bad? Seems that would be an issue ANYWHERE in the league. Thats a reason (and a reasonable one) not to like Kelly at all, but I don't get that argumet at all.

As for inheriting a bad, bad, bad defense and now they'll be on the field for an extra 200 plays...um...no. The 49ers were TRYING (badly) to run "Tempo" LAST year. They tried to hire Bob Bicknell as their OC to do so (who is now their WR coach) but were blocked from the interview. Chryst didn't have a clue how to do it.

The 49ers D was third in the NFL in time it spent on the field, not very far behind the Eagles.

This is not the case of an epically bad defense about to be completely exposed. Its a D that was exposed BADLY early last year that improved during the year (tons of young players) and are ALREADY a year into playing with an O running "tempo".

The 49ers even did ALOT of the sports science stuff Chip did in Philly. They started that last year.

The 49ers have wanted to run a tempo offense for two years now.

Baalke/Chip? Again...you are forgetting a third party. Tom Gamble. Gamble assured the team that Kelly wasn't the p[orblem. Roseman was. We'll see if he's right, but I'd trust a guy who was in the building then and in the building now over the media speculation of what went down.

Was Chip the first guy they wanted? Nope.

I think they wanted (in this order): Payton/Hue/Chip.

Payton stayed in NO because they wanted too much compentsation in trade. Hue wanted control of the 53 and Baalke didn't (and shouldn't) do that. That left Chip and Shanahan. I think they really liked Chip, but they had concerns about players wanting to play for him and defensive coaches wanting to coach for him. This are REAL concerns.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":29o4o4gz said:
Baalke is pretty good though at DRAFTING defense. Its offense where he struggles. I'd like to see them sign a few Free Agents on offense with that 50+ mil in space and then draft defense, defense, and more defense with their 12 picks starting with DeForest Buckner or Myles Jack.

I don't know if I'd say Baalke is good at drafting defense, the product on the field last season and as well as its bleak outlook would certainly indicate otherwise, but he's had some home run picks for sure.

Myles Jack has always been a hypejob IMO. Buckner is a bit of a hypejob too, but could still be a very solid NFL 3-4 DE and fits Baalke very nicely. If I was a 49ers fan I wouldn't want either of those guys personally. But to be fair, almost everyone in the top 10 this year is over-rated, it reminds me a lot of the 2009 draft in that way. Trading down should be a big goal for the 49ers, though in a year like this it will not be easy.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1dck7lj4 said:
I'm not even gonna bother with Baghdad Bob this time. You guys can all plainly see what marvin's trying to do. Delusional isn't the word. Amazing, really.

Peaches....the joke is tired. Either address what I say or stay out of the conversation please. The pictures, the "spin"...it was fun...but its old now. Get some new material.

Thanks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":37xkxhra said:
Marvin49":37xkxhra said:
Baalke is pretty good though at DRAFTING defense. Its offense where he struggles. I'd like to see them sign a few Free Agents on offense with that 50+ mil in space and then draft defense, defense, and more defense with their 12 picks starting with DeForest Buckner or Myles Jack.

I don't know if I'd say Baalke is good at drafting defense, the product on the field last season and as well as its bleak outlook would certainly indicate otherwise, but he's had some home run picks for sure.

Myles Jack has always been a hypejob IMO. Buckner is a bit of a hypejob too, but could still be a very solid NFL 3-4 DE and fits Baalke very nicely. If I was a 49ers fan I wouldn't want either of those guys personally. But to be fair, almost everyone in the top 10 this year is over-rated, it reminds me a lot of the 2009 draft in that way. Trading down should be a big goal for the 49ers, though in a year like this it will not be easy.

Surprised to hear you say that with Jack. I really like him. To each his own tho.

As far as Baalke, he's been pretty good spotting defensive players. Aldon was good before he got stupid. Bowman was a Baalke pick. Lynch and Reid have been pretty good. Ward starting to look pretty good late in the year. Armstead and Tartt had pretty good rookie years. Dial is a keeper. Ian Williams is about to make himself some $$$ as a FA.

Offense tho......yikes.

kearly

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":y298t3hm said:
I'm not even gonna bother with Baghdad Bob this time. You guys can all plainly see what marvin's trying to do. Delusional isn't the word. Amazing, really.

Actually, I thought that was one of Marvin's very best posts ever. He brought a lot of quality insight and facts to the discussion, to the point where I feel no need to disagree with anything he said. He even ended his post with some unprompted critical analysis, which might be the first time that's ever happened.

Of course, Chip will still probably fail anyway. But at least this time, it looks like Marvin won't have egg all over his face like he did with HarBaalke and Tomsula.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":2fgsutnk said:
Surprised to hear you say that with Jack. I really like him. To each his own tho.

As far as Baalke, he's been pretty good spotting defensive players. Aldon was good before he got stupid. Bowman was a Baalke pick. Lynch and Reid have been pretty good. Ward starting to look pretty good late in the year. Armstead and Tartt had pretty good rookie years. Dial is a keeper. Ian Williams is about to make himself some $$$ as a FA.

Offense tho......yikes.

IMO:

Bowman. Great pick, but back then Baalke was just one of several guys in the room. The scout who pounded the table for Bowman is actually in Seattle now. Baalke gets partial, but not full, credit for this one.

Smith. Great player, and I'll happily admit that this was the one pick I got very wrong for SF. I thought Aldon was a reach, and he was anything but that. However, Aldon's off-field problems and behavioral issues tarnished the brand and he was shown the door after just four seasons. Hard to say if this pick was good or not. Would they still have made the pick with the benefit of hindsight? That would be interesting to know.

Borland. I loved that pick when it happened and I thought he was a breakout star as a rookie. Sucks (for you) that he retired.

Lynch. Loved this pick for SF. Aaron Lynch was one of my draft steals before that draft, I wanted him for Seattle in the worst way. Granted, his production in a 3-4 so far has been just okay, but his talent is definitely legit. Currently him and Bowman are my favorite defensive players on the 49ers.

Reid. I've never liked this pick. He's not bad, but I think he is 10% flash, 90% JAG, similar to, but less talented than, Patrick Peterson. Eric Reid simply does not change the defense the way the best safeties do. He wasn't cheap either, costing a 1st + 3rd round pick.

The rest: JAGs. And I liked Dial going into that draft, too.

So yeah, it's not that Baalke hasn't made some great picks on defense, he has. But ultimately what matters is how the defense actually plays, and last year the 49ers were terrible defensively, ranking 27th in defensive DVOA. And it will only get worse with Kelly.

On offense, I really liked some of the picks the 49ers made on the OL and FB. Kaepernick, for all his headaches, was a good pick. I think Hyde is capable of being a top 10 RB, he just has to stay healthy. He's basically the 49ers equivalent of Jeremy Hill. When it comes to drafting for the running game, Baalke has done a legitimately admirable job. Drafting for the passing game is another story.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":p8rc1fz7 said:
Marvin49":p8rc1fz7 said:

Offense tho......yikes.

IMO:

Bowman. Great pick, but back then Baalke was just one of several guys in the room. The scout who pounded the table for Bowman is actually in Seattle now. Baalke gets partial, but not full, credit for this one.

Smith. Great player, and I'll happily admit that this was the one pick I got very wrong for SF. I thought Aldon was a reach, and he was anything but that. However, Aldon's off-field problems and behavioral issues tarnished the brand and he was shown the door after just four seasons. Hard to say if this pick was good or not. Would they still have made the pick with the benefit of hindsight? That would be interesting to know.

Borland. I loved that pick when it happened and I thought he was a breakout star as a rookie. Sucks (for you) that he retired.

Lynch. Loved this pick for SF. Aaron Lynch was one of my draft steals before that draft, I wanted him for Seattle in the worst way. Granted, his production in a 3-4 so far has been just okay, but his talent is definitely legit. Currently him and Bowman are my favorite defensive players on the 49ers.

Reid. I've never liked this pick. He's not bad, but I think he is 10% flash, 90% JAG, similar to, but less talented than, Patrick Peterson. Eric Reid simply does not change the defense the way the best safeties do. He wasn't cheap either, costing a 1st + 3rd round pick.

So yeah, it's not that Baalke hasn't made some great picks on defense, he has. But ultimately what matters is how the defense actually plays, and last year the 49ers were terrible defensively, ranking 27th in defensive DVOA. And it will only get worse with Kelly.

On offense, I really liked some of the picks the 49ers made on the OL and FB. Kaepernick, for all his headaches, was a good pick. I think Hyde is capable of being a top 10 RB, he just has to stay healthy. He's basically the 49ers equivalent of Jeremy Hill. When it comes to drafting for the running game, Baalke has done a legitimately admirable job. Drafting for the passing game is another story.

Baalke wasn't a guy in the room on 2010. He ran the draft.

Smith...yeah....I hate what happened with Aldon, but I'd take him back even now. I think he's a good kid with a big problem. I hope he can get his life in order. He was never a cancer in the locker room...he just couldn't control himself around alcohol.

Lynch? His biggest problem is that he's was the only talented pass rusher on the team last year an saw CONSTANT double teams. They need somebody badly to play on the other side....and they had one before Aldon got stupid again.

Reid. We'll agree to disagree. I don't think Manginis zone system did him any favors. He was much better with Fangio. He does sometimes take bad angles which drives me crazy and I think there is untapped potential there...but I like him.

The other JAGs as you call them? We'll agree to disagree there....particularly on Ian Williams. He had a damn fine year last year. He's problem has been staying on the field. He was the one who broke his ankle in week 2 against the Seahawks a few years back. Ward and Tartt might be fixtures in that secondary for some time. Funny part is that they were High School classmates.

I like Dial alot...but he's not a pass rusher.

I love Hyde, but his style is a problem. He reminds me a bit of Marion Barber in that he gets himself into awkward positions when getting hit and doesn't protect himself. I don't think he'll ever be a guy you can be relatively sure will make it thorugh the year. I think they'll take another back.

I have hopes for Deandre Smelter whom they took last year at WR, but saying his history at the position is less than stellar would be an understatement.

NINEster

Reaction score
Kearly, I disagree with the QB situation in SF.

You have a guy who previously brought the 49ers within 18 yards of a Super Bowl at Century Link, and another guy who threw for 250 in your house with nothing special at the skill positions.

You want to pretend that Russell Wilson or Cam Newton could ball out under Tomsula/Chryst "just because", go ahead and sit behind the nice little bubble that success fosters.

Anyone remember the disaster Newton was @ Philadelphia in 2014? At home versus NYG in 2012? People act like he was dominating year in and year out.

Kap to me is a question mark with high/low potential. Same with Gabbert. To say both suck outright is to just be a dismissive hater. Cam Newton in 2014 did no better than Kap that year.

As for Chip Kelly, his weaknesses are overblown. In a down season, his offense is ranked 12th. His first two seasons it was 3rd. I don't recall Harbaugh ever having a top 12 offense, do you?

Defense being mostly talent based, and SF having this natural ability to play defense compared to offense should be ok.

Enjoy the current success. All I know is that if that Wilson was a Niner QB with the last two postseasons he's had, there would be a lot of long term concern over him.

We know how to be worried about QBs in the Bay Area. And I'm talking about well before the Seahawks joined the NFC West.

You go ahead and anoint him Hall of Fame, and we'll play the role of .NET which has forever criticized Kaepernick.

Your wish finally came true and so will ours, in due time. :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":23bzakac said:
kearly":23bzakac said:
Marvin49":23bzakac said:

Offense tho......yikes.

IMO:

Smith...yeah....I hate what happened with Aldon, but I'd take him back even now. I think he's a good kid with a big problem. I hope he can get his life in order. He was never a cancer in the locker room...he just couldn't control himself around alcohol.

Lynch? His biggest problem is that he's was the only talented pass rusher on the team last year an saw CONSTANT double teams. They need somebody badly to play on the other side....and they had one before Aldon got stupid again.

Reid. We'll agree to disagree. I don't think Manginis zone system did him any favors. He was much better with Fangio. He does sometimes take bad angles which drives me crazy and I think there is untapped potential there...but I like him.

The other JAGs as you call them? We'll agree to disagree there....particularly on Ian Williams. He had a damn fine year last year. He's problem has been staying on the field. He was the one who broke his ankle in week 2 against the Seahawks a few years back. Ward and Tartt might be fixtures in that secondary for some time. Funny part is that they were High School classmates.

I love Hyde, but his style is a problem. He reminds me a bit of Marion Barber in that he gets himself into awkward positions when getting hit and doesn't protect himself. I don't think he'll ever be a guy you can be relatively sure will make it thorugh the year. I think they'll take another back.

I have hopes for Deandre Smelter whom they took last year at WR, but saying his history at the position is less than stellar would be an understatement.

Marv,

You're wasting your time defending guys 1 on 1 with .NET.

They'll argue that Earl Thomas is better than Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed in their primes, so what chance does Eric Reid have of being "a good player"?

Sherman as good as Deion Sanders, Chancellor a hybrid mix of Steve Atwater and Dick Butkus.

Bobby Wagner > Willis, Bowman, Kuechly combined.

You get the idea.

Overrate the current roster and underrate the fallen (Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Max Unger)....the .NET way.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":1s9welow said:
Kearly, I disagree with the QB situation in SF.

You have a guy who previously brought the 49ers within 18 yards of a Super Bowl at Century Link, and another guy who threw for 250 in your house with nothing special at the skill positions.

You want to pretend that Russell Wilson or Cam Newton could ball out under Tomsula/Chryst "just because", go ahead and sit behind the nice little bubble that success fosters.

Anyone remember the disaster Newton was @ Philadelphia in 2014? At home versus NYG in 2012? People act like he was dominating year in and year out.

Kap to me is a question mark with high/low potential. Same with Gabbert. To say both suck outright is to just be a dismissive hater. Cam Newton in 2014 did no better than Kap that year.

As for Chip Kelly, his weaknesses are overblown. In a down season, his offense is ranked 12th. His first two seasons it was 3rd. I don't recall Harbaugh ever having a top 12 offense, do you?

Defense being mostly talent based, and SF having this natural ability to play defense compared to offense should be ok.

Enjoy the current success. All I know is that if that Wilson was a Niner QB with the last two postseasons he's had, there would be a lot of long term concern over him.

We know how to be worried about QBs in the Bay Area. And I'm talking about well before the Seahawks joined the NFC West.

You go ahead and anoint him Hall of Fame, and we'll play the role of .NET which has forever criticized Kaepernick.

Your wish finally came true and so will ours, in due time. :th2thumbs:
Cool story bro.......... Bet you've been singing that same tune since 1996.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":srqqs3r9 said:
Marvin49":srqqs3r9 said:
kearly":srqqs3r9 said:
Marvin49":srqqs3r9 said:

Offense tho......yikes.

IMO:

Marv,

You're wasting your time defending guys 1 on 1 with .NET.

They'll argue that Earl Thomas is better than Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed in their primes, so what chance does Eric Reid have of being "a good player"?

Sherman as good as Deion Sanders, Chancellor a hybrid mix of Steve Atwater and Dick Butkus.

Bobby Wagner > Willis, Bowman, Kuechly combined.

You get the idea.

Overrate the current roster and underrate the fallen (Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Max Unger)....the .NET way.
Funny that you ignore what happened to your franchise from 1996-present (outside of mentioning XLVII). Why are you ignoring that time frame?

This is a Seattle Seahawks forum, not the webzone. So sure we are going to be biased on some things about our team, as you are about yours. Remember where you are posting.

pehawk

Reaction score
Some obnoxious poster has been saying since 2011 the 9ers won't care about winning and go cheap once stadium is built.

I know that's simplistic, but damn if it doesn't ring true.

XOXO

Ken Dorsey

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":2ywxk26v said:
Some obnoxious poster has been saying since 2011 the 9ers won't care about winning and go cheap once stadium is built.

I know that's simplistic, but damn if it doesn't ring true.

XOXO

Ken Dorsey
Starting to appear more and more like that's the case.

XOXO

Jim Drukenmiller

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Wow, you can't even make this stuff up.

What a completely classless organization. Nice to know the fired Harbaugh so they could win with class. Unreal.