49ers LB Patrick Willis & Justin Smith to Retire

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Marvin49":1qiet91a said:
dontbelikethat":1qiet91a said:
Justin Smith & Willis gone on the same day after Frank Gore...damn.

...and Mike Iupati just agreed with the Jets.

Wow. Rough day for the Red and Gold.

That might be fake though. If you're referring to the PFT tweet, it was a fake account.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Weadoption":2dplcok0 said:
If there is an arm lengthening steroid I want Borland to take some right now.

"Borland's mysterious arm length increase to 60 inches raises concern around the league, resulting in the entire Seahawks secondary along with Marshawn Lynch, and long snapper Clint Gresham receiving completely random drug tests."

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Retiring due to a religious awakening? Wow. What's that look like, I wonder?

God: "Patrick, you need to retire early for me and absolutely NOT use the extra millions you'd have made by continuing to play to help people in need and spread my word, but to spend more time praising me from within your lavish home."

Popeyejones

Reaction score
So, Willis.

Played eight years. Made seven pro-bowls (only non pro-bowl appearance was last year when he missed half the season with the toe), and was first team all pro five times. Not too shabby.

Hall of Fame, or he would have had to stick around for longer?

You can't argue with his accolades over his career, but the Hall does tend to reward stat compilers who stick around for forever past their prime years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN · 3m3 minutes ago
Told by others Patrick Willis & Justin Smith are retiring. But only feel comfortable reporting as 100% when it comes directly from them.

Marvin49

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":tiq51j1r said:
Marvin49":tiq51j1r said:
dontbelikethat":tiq51j1r said:
Justin Smith & Willis gone on the same day after Frank Gore...damn.

...and Mike Iupati just agreed with the Jets.

Wow. Rough day for the Red and Gold.

That might be fake though. If you're referring to the PFT tweet, it was a fake account.

You are correct....

....same account reporting AD traded to Cowboys and Crab signing with Bills.

Got me on that one.

One thing to take note of though...

If Willis and Justin are really retiring, Niners just cleared a ton of space against the cap. Willis was set to be second highest player on the team.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
49er fans be like...

e133fedf_tumblr_m2r2ksDXUM1qgppzlo1_500.gif

:D

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":3httd9i4 said:
If Willis and Justin are really retiring, Niners just cleared a ton of space against the cap. Willis was set to be second highest player on the team.

Yep. 20 million in room now. That will come down when/if T. Smith signs and some of it is fake money because of the Aldon restructure, but it's a big load of cash.

JonRud

Reaction score
Great news. Everything that has happened to the 49ers this off-season appears to have weakened their team. Nothing could make me happier.

The last 2 seasons we clinched the Division in Week 17, I am all for an earlier clinch this season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
JonRud":3pqtgnqn said:
Great news. Everything that has happened to the 49ers this off-season appears to have weakened their team. Nothing could make me happier.

The last 2 seasons we clinched the Division in Week 17, I am all for an earlier clinch this season.

The Cardinals might have something to say about that. You realize they were the team that was our biggest threat last season, right? Not the 49ers.

JonRud

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1uva552r said:
JonRud":1uva552r said:

The Cardinals might have something to say about that. You realize they were the team that was our biggest threat last season, right? Not the 49ers.

Yes I am fully aware we trailed the Cardinals by 3 games, swept them, then won the Division Week 17 by beating the Rams at home.

My point was that anything that weakens a division rival is good for the Seahawks. I will feel the same if Carson Palmer decides to retire or the Rams stop running fake punts against us.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Great career for Willis. Shocked to hear he's only 30, it feels like he's been around forever. Easy HOFer in my opinion, particularly since he was on a flagship franchise (albeit during some awful years).

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Really surprised by this move. He's certainly made enough money to live comfortably, hopefully his body is the same.

Latest posts