49ers LB Patrick Willis & Justin Smith to Retire

ringless

Reaction score
What, the last 12 months for SF has really been something else........

I'd like to see a list of the things that have gone right for them in the last 12 months as opposed to whats gone wrong...

The new Stadium
Locker Room Issues
Leaks
Injuries
Retirements
Ownership
Thanksgiving
Seahawks destroying their will to live
Harbaugh
The new coaching staff (HC was homeless in sleeping in his car a few years ago)
The grass at the new stadium
Players/Coaches turned down opportunities to go there bc of their new reputation

If I had kids, the 49ers are the carnival I would take them to see.

I feel like I missed some things..... I did hear that Dockett signed with the 49ers to destroy them from the inside out. A lot can change in 12 months. Speaking of Dockett, he went from being a 34 year old coming off an ACL injury to being the best player on the team now that Gore, Cowboy, Iupati, and Willis are all gone.... Weird

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Popeyejones":i7ayftia said:
So, Willis.

Played eight years. Made seven pro-bowls (only non pro-bowl appearance was last year when he missed half the season with the toe), and was first team all pro five times. Not too shabby.

Hall of Fame, or he would have had to stick around for longer?

You can't argue with his accolades over his career, but the Hall does tend to reward stat compilers who stick around for forever past their prime years.

I like Willis, but HOF will be an uphill battle. He played in an era dominated by Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, and George Koonce. That's some tough competition.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3djhrhtj said:
Marvin49":3djhrhtj said:
If Willis and Justin are really retiring, Niners just cleared a ton of space against the cap. Willis was set to be second highest player on the team.

Yep. 20 million in room now. That will come down when/if T. Smith signs and some of it is fake money because of the Aldon restructure, but it's a big load of cash.

This just means that Baalke will whiff on MORE free agents.

rideaducati

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2m3maacx said:
Scottemojo":2m3maacx said:
Officially a rebuild?
Definitely especially if the Colin Keapernick rumors that he's on the trading block have a validity at all.

I don't think Baalke is smart enough to trade Kaepernick. He'll be afraid that Kaepernick will succeed somewhere else and make him look stupid for trading him. He knows that the teams that want Kaepernick would play him in a system where he might actually play well. Baalke will keep Kaepernick, try to get him to become something he isn't, do things he can't, and when Kaepernick fails with the niners, the whole front office and coaching staff will be let go. Kaepernick will then go on to have a Michael Vick post Atlanta-like career...great game followed by duds, good season followed by bad, starter to backup to starter. M.E.D.I.O.C.R.E.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Undeniably a great player. Willis was one of those rare players that just about every NFL fan would want playing for their favorite team.

I know a couple years ago many of us were anticipating the slow demise of the aging 49ers, but the avalanche of change in the past few months is crazy.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":26xrvcl5 said:
Undeniably a great player. Willis was one of those rare players that just about every NFL fan would want playing for their favorite team.

I know a couple years ago many of us were anticipating the slow demise of the aging 49ers, but the avalanche of change in the past few months is crazy.

Its Incarcerated Bob...so for what it's worth....

Incarcerated Bob IBN ‏@incarceratedbob · 3m3 minutes ago
**UPDATED NFL RUMORS**
Broncos called about availability of (TE) Vernon Davis #Niners .. still could get released but 49ers prefer trade

Also read there was a rumor they could release Bowman as "failed Physical" in an ESPN story.

No idea if any of this is true...might be vultures looking for something to write or a complete rebuild in SF. At this point, I don't have a clue.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Marvin49":2j95d463 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":2j95d463 said:

**UPDATED NFL RUMORS**
Broncos called about availability of (TE) Vernon Davis #Niners .. still could get released but 49ers prefer trade

If he's released I would assume that he's a lock to join the Seahawks. Anything to avoid having to play against Kam again.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":70zrr1lw said:
HawkAroundTheClock":70zrr1lw said:

**UPDATED NFL RUMORS**

Also read there was a rumor they could release Bowman as "failed Physical" in an ESPN story.

No idea if any of this is true...might be vultures looking for something to right or a complete rebuild in SF. At this point, I don't have a clue.
Wow 49er guys -You have had so much happen in a such a short span and the door has not stop closing on exits for whatever reason(s) they are.I'm sad and happy to see it.I know one day our team will see franchise players leave as no one plays forever but I sure hope it doesn't happen the way it has to you guys,thats brutal stuff going on.I think your front office is a joke,the power plays affected everyone from top to the fans.It's not right or fair for the fans to have to deal with such crap in light of the recent great teams the 49ers had.I know we gain from it but I prefer we gain through great competition.Good luck to you guys,I dunno when things will look up but I feel bad for you.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JonRud":2zttcy99 said:
HawkFan72":2zttcy99 said:
JonRud":2zttcy99 said:
Great news. Everything that has happened to the 49ers this off-season appears to have weakened their team. Nothing could make me happier.

The last 2 seasons we clinched the Division in Week 17, I am all for an earlier clinch this season.

The Cardinals might have something to say about that. You realize they were the team that was our biggest threat last season, right? Not the 49ers.

Yes I am fully aware we trailed the Cardinals by 3 games, swept them, then won the Division Week 17 by beating the Rams at home.

My point was that anything that weakens a division rival is good for the Seahawks. I will feel the same if Carson Palmer decides to retire or the Rams stop running fake punts against us.

I think what Hawkfan72 is getting at is that you better hope we keep sweeping the Cards because the Niners won't help us out anymore with them by beating them at home. I'd tend to agree.

I have to wonder how much of this is guys just not wanting to play for Tomsula, or go through all this turmoil. I also wonder (even after all the rumors) if Willis and Smith would've played if Harbaugh was still around.

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2j4hfuns said:
Marvin49":2j4hfuns said:
HawkAroundTheClock":2j4hfuns said:

**UPDATED NFL RUMORS**

No idea if any of this is true...might be vultures looking for something to right or a complete rebuild in SF. At this point, I don't have a clue.
Wow 49er guys -You have had so much happen in a such a short span and the door has not stop closing on exits for whatever reason(s) they are.I'm sad and happy to see it.I know one day our team will see franchise players leave as no one plays forever but I sure hope it doesn't happen the way it has to you guys,thats brutal stuff going on.I think your front office is a joke,the power plays affected everyone from top to the fans.It's not right or fair for the fans to have to deal with such crap in light of the recent great teams the 49ers had.I know we gain from it but I prefer we gain through great competition.Good luck to you guys,I dunno when things will look up but I feel bad for you.

Honesty...have no idea what to think right now.

They taking Billy Beanes example? Don't think so. Seems they didn't expect Willis to retire? Really any truth to Vernon and Bowman, I have my doubts, but stranger stuff has happened.

I guess I was more prophetic than I thought when the offseason started...

..."the Niners in 2015 will look VERY different than they did in 2014."

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I didn't expect a total housecleaning but looks to me that they are bound and determined to erase any trace of the Harbaugh era. Baalke and York must have hated him beyond any logical measure.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawks46":2qpoqmiu said:
JonRud":2qpoqmiu said:
HawkFan72":2qpoqmiu said:
JonRud":2qpoqmiu said:
Great news. Everything that has happened to the 49ers this off-season appears to have weakened their team. Nothing could make me happier.

The last 2 seasons we clinched the Division in Week 17, I am all for an earlier clinch this season.

The Cardinals might have something to say about that. You realize they were the team that was our biggest threat last season, right? Not the 49ers.

Yes I am fully aware we trailed the Cardinals by 3 games, swept them, then won the Division Week 17 by beating the Rams at home.

My point was that anything that weakens a division rival is good for the Seahawks. I will feel the same if Carson Palmer decides to retire or the Rams stop running fake punts against us.

I think what Hawkfan72 is getting at is that you better hope we keep sweeping the Cards because the Niners won't help us out anymore with them by beating them at home. I'd tend to agree.

I have to wonder how much of this is guys just not wanting to play for Tomsula, or go through all this turmoil. I also wonder (even after all the rumors) if Willis and Smith would've played if Harbaugh was still around.

Blaming York, Baalke or Tomsula is all the rage these days...

...but I don't think that has anything to do with todays developments.

1) Justin LOVES Tomsula. Once called him the best coach he's ever had.

2) If Willis really wanted to leave, I'm sure he could have asked for a trade. With Borland behind him, they could have shipped him to Chicago or something to play for Vic again. He's RETIRING tho. At THIRTY. That has nothing to do with the coaching staff. That's a LIFE choice.

3) With Gore its all about the money. He got more than the Niners were ever going to offer him. They have Hyde and Hunter coming back and will likely draft a guy....they were never going to give Frank big $$$.

pehawk

Reaction score
At least the 49ers got rid of Harbaugh. I bet you're happy about that Ninerfans, right?

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":1jz673b1 said:
At least the 49ers got rid of Harbaugh. I bet you're happy about that Ninerfans, right?

LOL.

No.

...and I was hoping for a quiet offseason this year.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":53slmi0r said:
pehawk":53slmi0r said:

LOL.

No.

Well, at least now we get to see the greatness of tyrannosaurus rex...no more pesky Smith gobbling up double teams Borland can surely do without.

Theres a jumping ship vibe too. But, i know that's not true, thanks to Marvins explanations.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":2igclqss said:
Marvin49":2igclqss said:
pehawk":2igclqss said:

LOL.

No.

Well, at least now we get to see the greatness of tyrannosaurus rex...no more pesky Smith gobbling up double teams Borland can surely do without.

Theres a jumping ship vibe too. But, i know that's not true, thanks to Marvins explanations.

Right...because a guy is gonna leave 8 mil on the table and end his football career early because he doesn't like his coach. :shock:

Latest posts