49ers LB Patrick Willis & Justin Smith to Retire

pehawk

Reaction score
Well at least now we know why Harbaughs teams never won a Lombardi...it's only about the money.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":o8sguwod said:
Well at least now we know why Harbaughs teams never won a Lombardi...it's only about the money.

Looks like Willis just proved that it wasn't. Big diff between retiring because you want to go in a different direction in LIFE than retiring because you may not like your coach (and all reports are that he does...a lot).

I'm sorry...I'll stop poking holes in your light trolling of me now. :D

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":nrjqtw21 said:
pehawk":nrjqtw21 said:

Looks like Willis just proved that it wasn't. Big diff between retiring because you want to go in a different direction in LIFE than retiring because you may not like your coach (and all reports are that he does...a lot).

You honestly think Smith or Willis couldn't have been convinced to try one more year for a SB, if the Harbaugh fiasco hadn't occurred? That's naïve.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":14ntyeit said:
Marvin49":14ntyeit said:
pehawk":14ntyeit said:

You honestly think Smith or Willis couldn't have been convinced to try one more year for a SB, if the Harbaugh fiasco hadn't occurred? That's naïve.

Well first off, Justin just said he hasn't decided 100% yet. Everyone EXPECTED him to retire but I think he's torn because he wants to play for his D-Line coach. Justin has been Tomsula's biggest proponent for YEARS. Says he's the best coach he's ever had.

Willis? Dude....I hear where you are coming from, but its not like he's an old vet who could give it one more shot. This is a 30 in year old guy arguably still in his prime. If he really is retiring, I don't think this has anything to do with football.

What I've read is that he's had some sort of "religious awakening". This ain't about the coach. This is a lifestyle change for him.

pehawk

Reaction score
They each had legit reasons to retire, no doubt. But the decision was made easier by the actions taken so far this offseason.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2tz9c9cz said:
pehawk":2tz9c9cz said:

Poking holes? Really hard to do with your spitballs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":13146xkt said:
They each had legit reasons to retire, no doubt. But the decision was made easier by the actions taken so far this offseason.

I guess I can't argue that you are 100% wrong, but it certainly doesn't seem that's the case. In fact, given both players affinity for Tomsula it seems they'd be trying to get back.

Also...while the media and fans have written off the 49ers as dead, the players haven't. Important to remember that the guys in the building know why Tomsula got the job. While many outside the building see a coming apocalypse, that is not the way a lot of this is viewed internally.

I think a lot of peoples viewpoints are scewed by THEIR personal opinion of the situation and are making the assumption that everyone sees it as they do...and I am of course including myself in that regard.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
pehawk":hw32atfm said:
Marvin49":hw32atfm said:
pehawk":hw32atfm said:

It is possible the Harbaugh thing made him reassess his faith, but I highly doubt it.

For Willis, this was all about Jesus, and if it's the last thing I do, I'm gonna find our Lord and Savior and whoop his *ss for this.

pehawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":28cxbpov said:
pehawk":28cxbpov said:
Marvin49":28cxbpov said:
pehawk":28cxbpov said:

It is possible the Harbaugh thing made him reassess his faith, but I highly doubt it.

For Willis, this was all about Jesus, and if it's the last thing I do, I'm gonna find our Lord and Savior and whoop his *ss for this.

Jesus would whoop the piss out of you...without a doubt. It'd be like the café seen in Layer Cake.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":3mkj61f8 said:
5_Golden_Rings":3mkj61f8 said:
pehawk":3mkj61f8 said:
Marvin49":3mkj61f8 said:

Jesus would whoop the piss out of you...without a doubt. It'd be like the café seen in Layer Cake.

buddy-Jesus.jpg

pehawk

Reaction score
All this said, I wish Smith and Willis would've just demanded trades to the beautiful PNW.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
So much drama in Santa C
It's kinda hard bein' Jed York or Trent Baalke
But they somehow some way
Keep overseein' funky transactions like every single day

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow....49ers are in implode mode. Willis was one of the guys I really liked and hoped somehow he would find his way to being a Seahawk. I heard on the radio this morning that they are also shopping Kaepernick. I wouldn't think they would need to find a better option than Gabbert first if they are seriously shopping Kaep though.

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":y5t24kpy said:
So much drama in Santa C
It's kinda hard bein' Jed York or Trenty B
Keep overseein' an exodus like every single day

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Willis retiring is really the only surprise this offseason. It's a blow but if Bowman can come back healthy, we'll be OK, considering Borland (even if he is a limited player).

kobebryant

Reaction score
Too bad, Smith and Willis are studs. Much respect.

Always like the Hawks rivals to be as strong as possible; iron sharpens iron.

How the 49ers didn't give Harbaugh full Carroll powers and allow him to hire his own personnell man will always boggle my mind.

Harbaugh/Schneider in 2019.

kearly

Reaction score
The last time the 49ers hired a sacrificial fall guy, Erickson, he managed to last 2 seasons before being fired. I figured the same for Tomsula, but after all the stuff that's happened in the last 24 hours, I could see Tomsula being a one and done. It could be that bad for SF in 2015.

Chronic toe injuries can be career enders. Sounds like this might have been the case for Willis, or at least it was a major factor.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
pehawk":1rn40cmx said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1rn40cmx said:
So much drama in Santa C
It's kinda hard bein' Jed York or Trenty B
Keep overseein' an exodus like every single day
Good edit. I know you know. But now you know I know you know.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kearly":129yipb8 said:
The last time the 49ers hired a sacrificial fall guy, Erickson, he managed to last 2 seasons before being fired. I figured the same for Tomsula, but after all the stuff that's happened in the last 24 hours, I could see Tomsula being a one and done. It could be that bad for SF in 2015.

Chronic toe injuries can be career enders. Sounds like this might have been the case for Willis, or at least it was a major factor.

Tomsula is going to be one and done. Just like the coach of the Browns (prior to Pettine) in Cleveland was. Tomsula was about as exciting as a dead fish at his press conference announcing him as the new coach. He may do well with the DL guys but coaching a whole team is different story. He doesn't strike me as a HC type. Too bad because 49er/Seahawk rivalry is always fun. Probably not going to be much of one for awhile.

Latest posts