49ers still worthy rivals?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
His nine-game suspension is an odd number, real conspiracy in existence or not. It does seem a bit suspicious in an anti-Seahawks way, but I'm not ready to put on a tin foil hat just yet. Though, our schedule starting off with three of the top five QBs in the league also seems like maybe more than just 100% pure coincidence...Though I'm still not convinced of a conspiracy there, either. (I'm actually fine with the NFL trying to give a brutal schedule to the reigning Super Bowl champion each year. Parity is great for the sport as a whole.)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":121wor12 said:
His nine-game suspension is an odd number, real conspiracy in existence or not. It does seem a bit suspicious in an anti-Seahawks way, but I'm not ready to put on a tin foil hat just yet. Though, our schedule starting off with three of the top five QBs in the league also seems like maybe more than just 100% pure coincidence...Though I'm still not convinced of a conspiracy there, either. (I'm actually fine with the NFL trying to give a brutal schedule to the reigning Super Bowl champion each year. Parity is great for the sport as a whole.)

Don't remember how the actual breakdown worked out, but it wasn't just an arbitrary number. They released some formula of # of games for each infraction, and the total ended up at 9.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1dgmu87g said:
Marvin49":1dgmu87g said:
No, its 9. Some peeps holding out hope that it will get shortened with good behavior, but I doubt it.

That's because this is what the league said and what was reported. FWIW I've always found it to be REALLY odd and I've never really believed it. Even if it was Goodell's intentions at one point, I can't imagine that's still the case.

In any case though, it's probably worth alerting Hawks fans to the fact that this was what was reported when Aldon was suspended, as if it does happen (which I still don't believe) it will save you and I from a lot of ranting conspiracy theories about how the league is secretly trying to let him get back into game shape before the 9ers/Hawks game, and people calling us trolls for pointing out that this has been known since the suspension was put in place. :lol:

LOL.

Yeah...I remember people talking about it at the time, but it was never something concrete. More postulation from beat writers and the like and when they asked that question directly they weren't given an answer.

Take that for what it's worth.

My guess is he'll serve all 9 games...especially now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":jojfqqjo said:
RolandDeschain":jojfqqjo said:

Don't remember how the actual breakdown worked out, but it wasn't just an arbitrary number. They released some formula of # of games for each infraction, and the total ended up at 9.

I think it was 4 for the DUI and 5 for the charges.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Xarbx425":1hpqzvws said:
So assuming (key word assuming) the 49ers just completely drop the ball this year and harbs leaves - would the 49er/Seahawk rivalry still be as fierce? I was speaking with a dejected 49er fan and my friend said to me "So... Did you let him have it??" And I replied "No... He let himself have it". Literally he did all the bashing himself. I thought to myself "wow i ALMOST feel bad for 49ers fans".

Thoughts?
Naw, I consider the raiders and Donkos more of a rival! <------ see SC troll logic :sarcasm_off:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xn0tks9 said:
Nope.

They suck. Maybe Seahawks hardly even prepare for them because they are so bad.

:D
I think that is the smartest thing you've ever posted here! :th2thumbs:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2014":25xvshc1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":25xvshc1 said:
hawknation2014":25xvshc1 said:
I'm crossing my fingers that they spiral out of control as these early season losses mount.

1-2 could easily become 1-3 if the Eagles start stronger than they have.

Here is the rest of their schedule until Aldon returns:

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

I see at least two more losses in that five. I predicted before the season that they would be 5-4 after the first nine games.
Aldon's out for 10 games not 9.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11432 ... nine-games
I stand corrected.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dt7fxrf said:

lol.

Well, yeah...Niners hopefully at full strength vs Seattle, but Niners do have to face Romo, Cutler, Manning, and Brees all without their best pass rusher.

Romo predictably self-destructed, but still. Not cool

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Xarbx425":3ukpaamr said:
So assuming (key word assuming) the 49ers just completely drop the ball this year and harbs leaves - would the 49er/Seahawk rivalry still be as fierce? I was speaking with a dejected 49er fan and my friend said to me "So... Did you let him have it??" And I replied "No... He let himself have it". Literally he did all the bashing himself. I thought to myself "wow i ALMOST feel bad for 49ers fans".

Thoughts?
Absolutely they are. The Niners are still a good football team. They are at a point where they are having an issue or two, but they can easily turn it around. The Cards have a way of stealing games that they have no business winning a few times every year and that Niner game was one of them.

I will not count SC out until they are out. They could easily get back into the mix. I have to admit though, if they lose to Philly at home it does not look good for them. The Marquee matchup for me will remain SEA/SF unless they seriously tank. They just have the most intense matchups.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":pht3remp said:
Nope.

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Of course there is no cure for being a Niner fan, but keeping it from spreading can save lives.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2wzsgm0x said:
I'm crossing my fingers that they spiral out of control as these early season losses mount.

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

I see at least two more losses in that five. I predicted before the season that they would be 5-4 after the first nine games.
The thing is that having Smith back isn't the key for them to me. For me it is Bowman coming back healthy. Bowman helps them in ways that Smith can't and is effective against both the pass and run. His speed, especially laterally is a huge part of his game. The guy makes everyone around him a better player. To me, Smith is a liability in the run game (against the Hawks at least) he can be blocked by a decent TE and gets frustrated easily.

Bowman is far more important IMHO. If he comes back and isn't the same guy the Niners will hurt from it, but 70 percent of Bowman is still probably better than most starting LBers. My favorite non Seahawk football player without a doubt.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3hivhqqt said:
hawknation2014":3hivhqqt said:

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

The thing is that having Smith back isn't the key for them to me. For me it is Bowman coming back healthy. Bowman helps them in ways that Smith can't and is effective against both the pass and run. His speed, especially laterally is a huge part of his game. The guy makes everyone around him a better player. To me, Smith is a liability in the run game (against the Hawks at least) he can be blocked by a decent TE and gets frustrated easily.

Bowman is far more important IMHO. If he comes back and isn't the same guy the Niners will hurt from it, but 70 percent of Bowman is still probably better than most starting LBers. My favorite non Seahawk football player without a doubt.

The difference is when Aldon comes back, he's presumably going to be 100% from the word go, just like he was when he came back from rehab last season. Bowman is still going to be rounding himself into shape when he gets back, and even then it may take him a few more months to return to pre-injury form.

Their rushing defense is still in the Top 10 . . . however, only six teams have fewer sacks than the 49ers defense right now. They have allowed more passing TDs than anyone except Philadelphia and Jacksonville. And they have the worst third down defense in the league-- allowing an astonishing 51.6% of conversions on 3rd down.

Their third down defense in particular is a lot better when they're able to generate consistent pressure. That's why missing Aldon is going to be huge for them in these next six games, including Sunday's. Nick Foles is a statue that crumbles when you successfully generate pressure, but when you give him time to stand in the pocket, he has the accuracy to pick you apart.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":q8qpca1p said:
loafoftatupu":q8qpca1p said:
hawknation2014":q8qpca1p said:

Kansas City
@ St. Louis
@ Denver
St. Louis
@ New Orleans

The difference is when Aldon comes back, he's presumably going to be 100% from the word go, just like he was when he came back from rehab last season. Bowman is still going to be rounding himself into shape when he gets back, and even then it may take him a few more months to return to pre-injury form.

Their rushing defense is still in the Top 10 . . . however, only six teams have fewer sacks than the 49ers defense right now. They have allowed more passing TDs than anyone except Philadelphia and Jacksonville. And they have the worst third down defense in the league-- allowing an astonishing 51.6% of conversions on 3rd down.

Their third down defense in particular is a lot better when they're able to generate consistent pressure. That's why missing Aldon is going to be huge for them in these next six games, including Sunday's. Nick Foles is a statue that crumbles when you successfully generate pressure, but when you give him time to stand in the pocket, he has the accuracy to pick you apart.

Aldon missed 5 games last year and then barely played in the next 2 and he was STILL by far the best pass rusher on the team.

This time he's with the team, in meetings, and working out at the facility. He's not alienated from the team. My guess is Aldon picks up like the season just started.

Bowman tho...that's a diff story. It's gonna be awhile before he's the same guy.

I also think they are missing Aldon more than Bo. Bo is a great player, but pass rush is the area of the team that's struggling the most and the competition isn't close.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Ehhhh.. I just think that a functional Bowman makes a bigger difference in coverage of RBs or TEs im the flat whether it is Willis being freed up to do so or Bowman himself.

I know that the Niners are hurting for pass rush, but what in the hell is Brooks doing? What about all the talk of the backups having potential? Not so much huh? It just seemed to me that the Niner defense was fair without Smith last year, but the opponent might have been part of that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3fsvjiqb said:
Ehhhh.. I just think that a functional Bowman makes a bigger difference in coverage of RBs or TEs im the flat whether it is Willis being freed up to do so or Bowman himself.

I know that the Niners are hurting for pass rush, but what in the hell is Brooks doing? What about all the talk of the backups having potential? Not so much huh? It just seemed to me that the Niner defense was fair without Smith last year, but the opponent might have been part of that.

Bo would be great, but they didn't have much pass rush last year when Aldon was out. The guys with potential? Lemonier has been huge disappointment so far. Brooks hasn't been himself (I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone next year). I really like Aaron Lynch and Tank Carradine, but Lynch is only slowly picking up playing time and Tank has been inexplicably inactive in favor of Dobbs and Jerod-Eddie who have done NOTHING as pass rushers.

Dial hasn't played much either. I think that has a lot to do with Fangio really not being comfortable sometimes with younger players. I have a feeling that's all about to change, but we'll have to see if it makes a difference.

Despite all of that tho the Niners are the 6th ranked defense in the NFL. It's the Penalties at crucial times more than anything else that have just killed them.

homerun1970

Reaction score
The Niners have a talented team for some reason its not clicking. They will be a rival for a while but are getting older. I know they have had a load of draft picks, but I am not real certain as to what they actually have behind some aging veterans. In the meantime they have to talent to put it together and make a heck of a run wouldn't sleep on them.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
It's just too early in the season to make any real sense of anything. If the Niners do falter I would not be surprised to see a few big changes. I just don't think they are going to totally fail.

They can't get the bad breaks every week, but they also have the ability to fix some of the issues. Like the penalties that are totally legit ones and making defensive changes to generate pass rush. They are at home against Philly, the energy can help them get a pass rush going but if they don't get one on Philly it can get ugly.

Shady is trouble against any team because of the screens and dump passes, so it will an be interesting game at a minimum.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":kt4lyrpk said:
Marvin49":kt4lyrpk said:
Nope.

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Of course there is no cure for being a Niner fan, but keeping it from spreading can save lives.
Ok, Loaf this is just CLASSIC with posts like this who needs The Regulators. :th2thumbs: :stirthepot:

Latest posts