5th round, Pick #171, Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
CPHawk":2bbddhzz said:
Love the pick! Not sure how anyone is surprised when our beast retired, Rawls is coming off a serious injury, and our best back who's healthy was cut 3 times last year.

Correct.

Rawls' recovery may not be moving along as expected.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1qlkf7bc said:
CPHawk":1qlkf7bc said:
Love the pick! Not sure how anyone is surprised when our beast retired, Rawls is coming off a serious injury, and our best back who's healthy was cut 3 times last year.

Correct.

Rawls' recovery may not be moving along as expected.

Depends on what you're expecting. They've been hopeful for the start of the season. That's still 4 months away

kearly

Reaction score
As was hinted at yesterday in the Derrick Henry thread, Seattle had a sneaky need for a power running back to entrust on 3rd and 1 or in goal line situations. Collins was by far the best power RB left in the draft when they took him, and overall it is the best "value" pick of the entire draft for Seattle.

I'm not the biggest fan of Collins overall game, but a lot of his problems can be improved with coaching. I think he's closer to being Robert Turbin than Marshawn Lynch, but for the price of an early sixth round pick, it's really hard to complain.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
One thing all three of these RB draft picks do better than Michael or former Seahawk Turbin is reading the field.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This guy has more wiggle than Ivory or Spencer Ware ever had. And they're good backs.

I'm thinking that we might go away from a FB on the roster. Is Collins big enough to be a FB/RB hybrid ? Doing away with a FB would fit in with a spread/running offense.

kearly

Reaction score
It's kind of funny that Collins' backup was drafted before he was. In the same draft. I'm guessing that doesn't happen very often.

kearly

Reaction score
bigskydoc":10veup57 said:
Collins is the polar opposite of Prosise. Wide base, choppy slasher with decent speed, but not that top gear. I like the Lacy comparison.

Eddie Lacy in a straight-jacket is my comp.

gohogs14

Reaction score
kearly":2v96hqpi said:
It's kind of funny that Collins' backup was drafted before he was. In the same draft. I'm guessing that doesn't happen very often.

Well there wasn't really a "backup" in that system, they split carries pretty evenly. Though Williams started most games before the injury because of seniority.

Funny thing about Collins is he plays lacrosse and does Irish dancing to work on his footwork lol. He only started playing football about 5 years ago.

kearly

Reaction score
gohogs14":2sutvp4x said:
kearly":2sutvp4x said:

Well there wasn't really a "backup" in that system, they split carries pretty evenly. Though Williams started most games before the injury because of seniority.

That's a fair point.

Rob12

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3vksjpwn said:
Wow. I'm really worried about Rawls now.

Collins is the polar opposite of Prosise. Wide base, choppy slasher with decent speed, but not that top gear. I like the Lacy comparison.

If Rawls is not good to go to start the season, I'm a lot happier with these RB picks.

I'm not. At all.

Seahawks need three running backs. Three very capable running backs.

Michael is not a proven, capable back. I don't know how people think drafting Collins means the Hawks are worried about Rawls.

The NFL is hard. It beats you up... RBBC is a smart way to go for our team. I love the infusion of talent at the position.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":2n3bphs8 said:
As was hinted at yesterday in the Derrick Henry thread, Seattle had a sneaky need for a power running back to entrust on 3rd and 1 or in goal line situations. Collins was by far the best power RB left in the draft when they took him, and overall it is the best "value" pick of the entire draft for Seattle.

I'm not the biggest fan of Collins overall game, but a lot of his problems can be improved with coaching. I think he's closer to being Robert Turbin than Marshawn Lynch, but for the price of an early sixth round pick, it's really hard to complain.
Yep.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Rob12":34ri84tv said:
bigskydoc":34ri84tv said:
Wow. I'm really worried about Rawls now.

If Rawls is not good to go to start the season, I'm a lot happier with these RB picks.

I'm not. At all.

Seahawks need three running backs. Three very capable running backs.
This draft and UDFA crop as well as the roster stands as it is right now suggests that we'll keep 4 RBs and go with more of an H-Back role or "move TE" than true FB. The only player with FB experience on the roster right now is Cottom and he's now listed as a TE.

We're most likely keeping 4.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":23i8ejn4 said:
bigskydoc":23i8ejn4 said:

Eddie Lacy in a straight-jacket is my comp.
:lol: :lol: :lol:I hope the guy turns out good.This will be used

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This guy is a Turbin/Ivory combo, with a touch less speed.

If somehow C-mike makes this roster, he will have truly earned it.

ACFan

Reaction score
As someones who has watched Alex Collins the last three years, I wanted to log on and give my thoughts on AC to this great Seahawk board and help ease any concerns some may have about the 5th round pick.

You got a very unique person and a special player, you got a steal.

Much about AC is atypical. The decision making process of whether to leave early for the pros was no different. Having a chance to set all kinds of school and SEC records, and by nature being a well centered, content guy, Alex gave all indications he geniunily wanted to return for his Sr year.

Following the advice coach Bielema gives all Jr. NFL prospects, Alex got the best advice from scouts about the probability of where he would go in the draft. He got unanimous answers that he would likely be a 2nd round pick, and was among the top 3 RBs that would be available.

After that, from the coaches down to the fans, it was accepted he woud declare and was being told by everyone he SHOULD declare. And decare he did. Why did he fall so far? I have a theory, more on that later.

Running Style:

Unique, hard to comapre to anyone. In high school and his first two years of college he did pretty well just by making defenders miss him. Not in a "scat back", jitterbug, give ground kind of way, he still ran generally north to south, he could just make people miss him.

He learned to be more of a power back when the co- starter Jonathan Willaims (taken by Redskins in 5th) was injured for the year in fall practice. AC still ran with the same style, just upped his carry count from 10-15 to 20-25, and took on more short yardage situations (successfully).

His combination of vision, instincts, and a quirky, choppy, lateral movement that he has is why he's so hard to get a clean shot at. He knows where the hole is going to be ahead of time, and he knows when there won't be a hole and is able to create something, in very short space, that creates at least a sliver.

His unique footwork allows him to subtlly change direction, make people miss in tight spaces, without losing power, that's KEY.

Rarely saw any defender get a solid hit on him, the only hard collisions he gets involved in are the ones he creates when he wants to truck someone for an extra 2-3 yards, he did that some as a SR.

Very durable, only twice in his 3 years did I hear of him having an "injury" a bruised thigh once and a sore ankle, both times the pre game talk was "he's probably 80%", and "we'll see what he's able to do today" and both times you saw no drop-off whatsoever, played at 100%, didn't look injured in the slightest.

Why the fall in the draft?

AC had "good" top end speed for a college back, which likley means he has poor speed for an NFL back. and he compounded that by not running as well as he could have at the combine. I read some scouts who cited his "choppy steps" and "stiffness".

His style is not one they have seen before, and they were ignoring the fact those "choppy, stiff" movements were naviagting him around and through some of the best defenses in the nation, Arkansas having one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Largely untested as a receiver, but I have a hunch he will be an incredible receiver out of the backfield, appears to have very good hands.

Comparisons?

Emmitt Smith, not only for "make you miss in the hole" but also for toughness and durabilty, I think AC is the rare kind of back that can have a 10 year career in the NFL.

If my hunch of him being a great receiver is true, I see Marshall Faulk as something of a fair comparison as well, another long term guy.

Personality. (always a smile)

Seattle will love Alex Collins. He came from Miami Flordia into a complete different enviroment in the Ozarks, a community he embraced and thrived in, fit right in. He played Lacrosse in high school, likes country music, took up Irish dancing recently.

He was able to legally work a few shifts a week, during the season, at a popular Fayettville restaraunt as the greeter.

After having a 200 yard, 25 carry, afternoon game in Fayettville on a Saturday, fans were surprised to see Alex greeting them that night at their favorite restaraunt. Did I mention he's durable? games don't seem to wear him out.

He will go down as one of the best loved Razorbacks of all time for his 3 years here.

Seattle, you got a STEAL.

ACFan

Reaction score
Oh.

[vine]ibJ9B3xhzir[/vine][/quote]

Looks like BEASTMODE (put some RESPECT on that name) in that play. I like how he kept his legs moving.[/quote]

It's a shame that play isn't shown from the snap, I believe KSU was expecting a run, and 1 count into the play it looked like he'd get two yards at most.

straight up the gut, and no one could square up on him will enough to get a clean shot and get him down.

SaskHawk

Reaction score
ACFan":a0f2wcoa said:
As someones who has watched Alex Collins the last three years, I wanted to log on and give my thoughts on AC to this great Seahawk board and help ease any concerns some may have about the 5th round pick.

You got a very unique person and a special player, you got a steal.

Much about AC is atypical. The decision making process of whether to leave early for the pros was no different. Having a chance to set all kinds of school and SEC records, and by nature being a well centered, content guy, Alex gave all indications he geniunily wanted to return for his Sr year.

Following the advice coach Bielema gives all Jr. NFL prospects, Alex got the best advice from scouts about the probability of where he would go in the draft. He got unanimous answers that he would likely be a 2nd round pick, and was among the top 3 RBs that would be available.

After that, from the coaches down to the fans, it was accepted he woud declare and was being told by everyone he SHOULD declare. And decare he did. Why did he fall so far? I have a theory, more on that later.

Running Style:

Unique, hard to comapre to anyone. In high school and his first two years of college he did pretty well just by making defenders miss him. Not in a "scat back", jitterbug, give ground kind of way, he still ran generally north to south, he could just make people miss him.

He learned to be more of a power back when the co- starter Jonathan Willaims (taken by Redskins in 5th) was injured for the year in fall practice. AC still ran with the same style, just upped his carry count from 10-15 to 20-25, and took on more short yardage situations (successfully).

His combination of vision, instincts, and a quirky, choppy, lateral movement that he has is why he's so hard to get a clean shot at. He knows where the hole is going to be ahead of time, and he knows when there won't be a hole and is able to create something, in very short space, that creates at least a sliver.

His unique footwork allows him to subtlly change direction, make people miss in tight spaces, without losing power, that's KEY.

Rarely saw any defender get a solid hit on him, the only hard collisions he gets involved in are the ones he creates when he wants to truck someone for an extra 2-3 yards, he did that some as a SR.

Very durable, only twice in his 3 years did I hear of him having an "injury" a bruised thigh once and a sore ankle, both times the pre game talk was "he's probably 80%", and "we'll see what he's able to do today" and both times you saw no drop-off whatsoever, played at 100%, didn't look injured in the slightest.

Why the fall in the draft?

AC had "good" top end speed for a college back, which likley means he has poor speed for an NFL back. and he compounded that by not running as well as he could have at the combine. I read some scouts who cited his "choppy steps" and "stiffness".

His style is not one they have seen before, and they were ignoring the fact those "choppy, stiff" movements were naviagting him around and through some of the best defenses in the nation, Arkansas having one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Largely untested as a receiver, but I have a hunch he will be an incredible receiver out of the backfield, appears to have very good hands.

Comparisons?

Emmitt Smith, not only for "make you miss in the hole" but also for toughness and durabilty, I think AC is the rare kind of back that can have a 10 year career in the NFL.

If my hunch of him being a great receiver is true, I see Marshall Faulk as something of a fair comparison as well, another long term guy.

Personality. (always a smile)

Seattle will love Alex Collins. He came from Miami Flordia into a complete different enviroment in the Ozarks, a community he embraced and thrived in, fit right in. He played Lacrosse in high school, likes country music, took up Irish dancing recently.

He was able to legally work a few shifts a week, during the season, at a popular Fayettville restaraunt as the greeter.

After having a 200 yard, 25 carry, afternoon game in Fayettville on a Saturday, fans were surprised to see Alex greeting them that night at their favorite restaraunt. Did I mention he's durable? games don't seem to wear him out.

He will go down as one of the best loved Razorbacks of all time for his 3 years here.

Seattle, you got a STEAL.

Thanks for the great post. I always like hearing first hand from people who have watched these guys closely in college, seem to gain a good understanding of not just the player but, also importantly, the person. Also YouTube videos can only take a person's knowledge so far and is why I love hearing from people who have watched the players go from a boy out of Hugh school to a man leaving college. Thanks again!