6th Round, Pick #215, Joey Hunt, C, TCU

White Flash

Reaction score
pehawk":gy93agm6 said:
All big-12 with 99% pass blocking efficiency.

Why he still available? Trex arms?

it's not t-rex for his height, but he does have short arms for an nfl olineman.

mikeak

Reaction score
We need a serviceable O-Line. One that holds up and gives RW a little extra time or opens up some running holes. We don't need the all star Oline

So love the picks just for what they are trying to do. Now I hope they turn into starters

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/726524699887325184[/tweet]

Overseasfan

Reaction score
No clue about him but a guy with so much experience and apparent effectiveness against even strong competition does sound promising though.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is probably the first pick that I really don't agree with. Feeney could have competed at SLB and this guy might have gone undrafted. Hopefully we make something of the pick.

OTOH, maybe they had Kelce in mind with this pick.

EDIT: Actually Kelce has a couple inches on him in arm length and is taller, but was much lighter coming out.

Hell, I don't know...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":4xfp4n4e said:
From the looks of it he reminds me of Unger. They said all the same things about him . And for once the oline got real players not conversion guys

Unger is 6-5 with 32.5 inch arms so I don't really agree there.

Not sure what to think of a 6' center with 30 inch arms .. the sack stat is pretty misleading too considering TCU ran out of the gun every play basically and ran a lot of quick passing plays. I would hope he wouldn't give up many sacks in that scheme.

Indifferent about this pick. Hopefully he kicks Novak to the curb though, that alone makes the pick worth it.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
White Flash":29vzxapt said:
pehawk":29vzxapt said:

Also coming off surgery for a torn meniscus.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":14ixg4bo said:
hawkcrazzed":14ixg4bo said:
From the looks of it he reminds me of Unger. They said all the same things about him . And for once the oline got real players not conversion guys

Unger is 6-5 with 32.5 inch arms so I don't really agree there.

Not sure what to think of a 6' center with 30 inch arms .. the sack stat is pretty misleading too considering TCU ran out of the gun every play basically and ran a lot of quick passing plays. I would hope he wouldn't give up many sacks in that scheme.

Indifferent about this pick. Hopefully he kicks Novak to the curb though, that alone makes the pick worth it.

Not allowing a free runner to the QB is an improvement for this OL.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Basis4day":118kh1c9 said:
People who wanted O-Lineman with actual experience on O-Line should be jumping for joy.
I am, and I wanted a C too. The pass blocking stats make me happy. Competition all around on the o-line. We're gonna see a better front 5/6 this year IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he is stocky, his shotgun snap is faster then what we have been used to seeing based on the few snaps I seen in a highlight, it doesn't float to the QB.

CPHawk

Reaction score
White Flash":2q8832b7 said:
pehawk":2q8832b7 said:

Yep I'd guess he's around 72-73" in reach. Which is what most avg guys are, but in the NFL they like the reach to be more than the avg.

kearly

Reaction score
Arm length doesn't matter all that much at center, since centers usually go up against nose tackles and usually have help.

It's nice having a center that is almost short enough for Russell to see over. It's also useful to be short when fighting for leverage against nose tackles. Being short at center isn't a bad thing at all.

He's a technician and an excellent snapper. Which is good.

His frame looks totally maxed out at just 295 which could be a problem.

He's a good college player but has almost zero room for growth. Seattle is going to have to hope that he'll make the jump to the NFL gracefully because if he ends up needing to improve to make it in the NFL, he's screwed. He's the Joe Vellano of centers.

This isn't a bad pick, but I wouldn't exactly pencil him in to start at center either. Overall a fairly solid pick by 7th round standards.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1190u7l9 said:
WOW! Joey Hunt?!? That proves definitely that I officially have no ability to predict what John Schneider and the Seahawks are going to do. Absolutely a surprise pick to me. Will have to go back and look at film and try to figure out exactly what it is they see in this guy.

TCU had a pretty decent year. Their center was part of it.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
He mirrors beautifully in pass pro. He's a strong dude with excellent fundamentals. His shotgun snaps are all precise and he seems to engage effortlessly. I could see him becoming the next Ryan Kalil, another undersized center who just kicks ass because he's so fundamentally strong. But his knee injury and the fact that he needs to learn how to snap the ball with the QB under center are wild cards. I bet he was not on a lot of draft boards for those reasons.

[youtube]mraM3FGDzUg[/youtube]

vonstout

Reaction score
I like the fact that they took a C, but I think they could have signed him as an UDFA. I wish they would have drafted Jack Allen instead and brought this guy in too. If they can get Allen to come in as an UDFA, I guess it doesn't matter.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I'm thinking this guy is our new Robbie Tobeck. Tobeck was about the same weight if I call correctly, but super smart and a great line leader.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
This ends the Drew Nowak type of experiments with these picks....we won't be doing on the job training in September and October critical games like last year.....