6th Round, Pick #215, Joey Hunt, C, TCU

Atradees

Reaction score
I like that they seemed to have changed the philosophy of straight conversion and have decided to get experienced guys at their respective positions. This seems to be a radical shift in philosophy because the guard and center are not sparq guys.
So heres hoping that it improves the situation. I always like Max Unger. If I remember correctly he even played Left Tackle at Oregon.

Own The West

Reaction score
Short arms, new system, ran out of the shotgun most of the time...

We should get a UDFA QB to help him practice!

Ruminator

Reaction score
Watching his highlights tape, he's always looking under him when snapping the ball. Do most centers do that when snapping shotgun? Thought coaches prefer linemen, centers included, to keep their eyes on the defense every snap.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is the first true center Seahawks have drafted or even signed as an UDFA in recent memory.

I have a feeling this guy can be special. OCs is one position that you can easily find value and gems at in later rounds.

This guy may not be big or lengthy but it doesnt matter at the position like it does T and G.

Leverage matters.
Snapping Ability matters.
Pass-Protection matters.
Intelligence matters.
Leadership matters.
Experience matters.

Dont know how his run-blocking is but he's a perfect scheme fit coming out of the ZBS.

Imo, the Seahawks probably are done with projects at the position. They still have Soloki, they still have Nowak. I dont think they wanted another guy with limited experience like Dahl and McGovern.

They wanted a guy who could come in right away with minimum learning curve that they could plug in and compete against Lewis, Nowak, and Soloki.

I love how he checks all the boxes that matter and really could care less about his size or arm length as long as hes doing everything the right way and with consistency. There is value in that and Wilson probably would agree.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":26ch0a09 said:
His frame looks totally maxed out at just 295 which could be a problem.
Robbie Tobeck, our starting OC on what is unarguably one of the best O-Lines in the team's history, played at sub-300. Granted he was taller at 6-4. So I'm not so sure the weight is a problem.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seen this guy listed at 6'3" and 6'0 weight has been consistent though, He is like a Fire hydrant.

Own The West

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1yfx3fhr said:
Own The West":1yfx3fhr said:
Short arms, new system, ran out of the shotgun most of the time...

We should get a UDFA QB to help him practice!

Actually, pretty sure they ran a similar ZBS, so the terminology and blocking schemes shouldn't be unfamiliar at all.

I was facetiously implying that we got Boykin to help develop Hunt. Although it occurs to me that having Hunt may have helped in the recruitment of Boykin...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Largent80":174rfu3s said:
Hawkscanner":174rfu3s said:
WOW! Joey Hunt?!? That proves definitely that I officially have no ability to predict what John Schneider and the Seahawks are going to do. Absolutely a surprise pick to me. Will have to go back and look at film and try to figure out exactly what it is they see in this guy.

TCU had a pretty decent year. Their center was part of it.

I realize that. The Horned-Frogs had a great year going 11-2 including a win in the Alamo Bowl against the Ducks. That's not what I meant. What I was saying was that the pick of Joey Hunt appears to go totally contrary to everything that the Seahawks under Pete Carroll had done in terms of Offensive Line. Though he got some flak for saying so, I'm going to side with Kearly in saying that this pick in particular has kind of a Ruskell like feel to it. What I mean is that it appears this pick was done from the standpoint of a more traditional scouting approach (production on the field) ... rather than based upon pure athleticism and measureables that we've seen over the course of the last few years. And that's not necessarily a bad thing by any means.

That said, I did find some of Hunt's measureables intriguing in comparison with another guard we talked about extensively over the course of the last few weeks ...

Joey Hunt … 34 reps of 225 at his Pro Day … ran a 5.10 in the 40
Connor McGovern … 33 reps of 225 pounds … ran a 5.11 in the 40

The biggest difference between the two is obviously size and arm length ...
Hunt ... 6'1" 295 pounds .... 30 1/2" arms
McGovern … 6’4” 306 pounds … 32 7/8” arms

You know in football, leverage is everything. Low man usually wins. I'm personally wondering if one of the reasons why Hunt was chosen was specifically because his size matches up fairly well with a certain lineman he's going to be seeing a lot of if he ends up winning the starting center position (Aaron Donald 6'1" 285 pounds).

Just a few thoughts as I'm sitting here the day after contemplating this pick. Obviously, the fact that he allowed 0 Sacks and only 3 hurries last year is fairly impressive. We'll see if that kind of production still holds true once he has to go up against the big boys.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He telegraphs his snaps quite often. His head comes up right before he snaps the ball. So DL don't even have to see the ball, just go when his head moves.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I guess Tom Cable worked him out and did a film session. Pete and John said they had to have this guy.... this has peaked my interest in this guy.

McGruff

Reaction score
For what it's worth, Brock Huard loves Hunt and basically said the only difference between him and Ryan Kelly is 3 inches in height. If Hunt we 6'5" instead of 6'2" he would've been a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Former high school defensive lineman who is reportedly not only smart and experienced but a tough SOB.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":35opaf74 said:
You know in football, leverage is everything. Low man usually wins. I'm personally wondering if one of the reasons why Hunt was chosen was specifically because his size matches up fairly well with a certain lineman he's going to be seeing a lot of if he ends up winning the starting center position (Aaron Donald 6'1" 285 pounds).

I had the same thought. Hunt was the best pass protector in college football the last two years with enough quickness and stoutness to potentially matchup against Donald. Donald basically had his way against Lewis. If anything, it's just nice to have a backup who can adequately snap the ball and pass protect if needed.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Practice squad most likely maybe he can compete for a job but I don't see him making the final 53 to many good players in front of him.