A good win? Are u kidding me!

classicaaron

Reaction score
what a pathetic performance by this offense yet again. beating the lousy what will be 2 win niners this year by 3 points should just get marked a L in the record books. I called it last week after not scoring that we would have at least 3 or 4 more performances like this and heres one already. I probably undershot that prediction at this point. all anyone said around here was wait until we beat the niners by 30 and the narrative will change. yeah right, its so much worse at this point.

I hate to be all doom and gloom around here but the unrealistic posters around here are getting as tiresome as Pete's cheerleading tactics. so last week we had a good loss, this week we had a tough win and all wins are good. give me a break. the packers got smacked around bad which just makes our loss to them look even worse. we cant even score points against a team picking in the top 3 of the draft. how in the world are we going to beat Atlanta, Dallas, Greenbay again, let alone anyone who makes it out of the AFC by scoring 10 points a game. defense cant shut everyone out every week. against team like this the defense would still look good giving up 21 points, and you really think our offense could ever score 22 to beat them. no chance in hell. not even in the same league as the top teams in the conference.

next week I predict we lose 17-10. can never travel to the east coast and can never play on grass. the offense will be non existent and we score a late TD to make it look somewhat close. then everyone will post how we lost to playoff contender and a team winning their division as an excuse of poor play yet again.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
idle Eric":52vcjhy0 said:
How you win tells you a lot about how many you will win. That's all people are saying . It's anything but "foolishness "

Sure, OK I get the point and always did. In the end it's still a WIN and the style points only count at the end of the season if you are grading for style.

Kvetching about how you win is an exercise in navel gazing. I'm not telling anyone what they should discuss by saying that just saying that it is a somewhat pointless exercise. I don't know if you can say with any certainty that this WIN tells you very much about how many games the team will win this season. What it does say however is that the O is struggling mightily to find any consistency, an identity, or even looks ready to play at times. So far it has said the OLine still just isn't getting their job done. That said there were some noticeable moments of improvement combined with a lot of mistakes which when corrected will allow the O to be at least respectable.

Thankfully it wasn't a L.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Any win is good.

That said, I have issues with him calling it "tremendous defense". Umm we gave up like 180 yards rushing to the Niners.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hawks46":2xectc4t said:
Any win is good.

That said, I have issues with him calling it "tremendous defense". Umm we gave up like 180 yards rushing to the Niners.

Most of that came on two plays. So a defense essentially makes 2 errors and its a bad performance? They gave up no TD's, got one TO and held them under 100 yds passing.

Dropped passes and ineffective rushing until the end is what made this an ugly win. Not anything the defense did.

But given it's virtually the same MO as we've had the last few years, I'm not worried. While I hate these nail biters, it seems to be how Pete loves to play things. If i'm going to appreciate Pete, I'm going to have to appreciate his style of play.

warden

Reaction score
I think there are too many here that lack the understanding of just how hard it is to win in the NFL They also seem to lack the understanding that the other team is trying real hard too. This game was just another step in this incredibly journey this team is on. More positive things to take away from this game then negative

warden

Reaction score
You do not need to be playing your best ball in September, you need to be playing your best ball in December and January. Just need to get some wins in September and October

AVL

Reaction score
This crap happens every year. This year a political twist has been added to stretch the hate out a little more.
I'm not ready for a coaching change and way past sick of the coordinators being cursed. Cry fire Carroll if you must.

ballard1951

Reaction score
The 49ers defense was on field for almost 37 minutes. When Carson suddenly was able to run through everything in the 4th quarter it was mainly because their defense was worn out, like ours was in Green Bay last week. Packers won then and we won now from a reason. It might have had something with game planning to do.

Seymour

Reaction score
warden":j9ls1y4y said:
I think there are too many here that lack the understanding of just how hard it is to win in the NFL They also seem to lack the understanding that the other team is trying real hard too. This game was just another step in this incredibly journey this team is on. More positive things to take away from this game then negative

I watched Bambi meets Godzilla once, and Bambi tried really really hard!!

Sad ending though.

Bambi Meets Godzilla 9215

ballard1951

Reaction score
The 49ers defense was on the field for almost 37 minutes. When Carson suddenly was able to run through everything in the 4th quarter it was mainly because their defense was worn out, like ours was in Green Bay last week. Packers won then and we won now from a reason. It might have had something to do with game planning.

xgeoff

Reaction score
AVL":1o8ykdaq said:
This crap happens every year. This year a political twist has been added to stretch the hate out a little more.
I'm not ready for a coaching change and way past sick of the coordinators being cursed. Cry fire Carroll if you must.

I don't understand the political twist. I think Tom Cable is a bad coach who must go. Simple as that. Love Pete and John, just want them to rid us of that albatross who is incapable of judging O-Line talent.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3nfcd3vr said:
It was a typical good Pete win. Move the chains, establish field position, win the turnover battle and ultimately be victorious on the scoreboard. We are tied for first place in the division and still a major force in this league.

That's fuuny stuff right there. Tied with three other teams Right 1-1 another way to look at it is we were tied for last last week LOL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There were 2 dropped TD passes in the 1st quarter. That game is 14 zip going in to the 2nd and they roll from there. Hell yes, a WIN is all that matters. No style points in the NFL.

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
ballard1951":2opgloqx said:
The 49ers defense was on field for almost 37 minutes. When Carson suddenly was able to run through everything in the 4th quarter it was mainly because their defense was worn out, like ours was in Green Bay last week. Packers won then and we won now from a reason. It might have had something with game planning to do.
Exactly. This was the type of game the coaching staff envisioned. Perhaps the O scores more, but those additional points were there for the taking. Unfortunately the weather and ill-timed infractions negated those possibilities. But the Carroll Game Plan — stout D, wear down the opponent and salt it away with a couple of ground daggers in the fourth — proved victorious. To them, this was a good win.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
warden":17qr480t said:
You do not need to be playing your best ball in September, you need to be playing your best ball in December and January. Just need to get some wins in September and October
This is such a fallacy. In the NFL, every single week is critically important. You can't make up 20 games here, 30 games there, later in the season like you can in baseball. You make it a LOT harder on yourself having to go on the road for the playoffs because of those games you don't have to worry about winning (eye roll) in September...or more like, that ONE game you didn't win. One game is ALWAYS enough to change playoff seeding for most of the teams that get into the playoffs, if not all of them. Winning in week 15 or 16 is NO MORE important than winning in week two or three. In fact, because of teams that secure a bye resting starters, statistically speaking late games are probably LESS important than early games.

Common sense   so rare its a god damn super power

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5bspit4h said:
warden":5bspit4h said:
This is such a fallacy. In the NFL, every single week is critically important. You can't make up 20 games here, 30 games there, later in the season like you can in baseball. You make it a LOT harder on yourself having to go on the road for the playoffs because of those games you don't have to worry about winning (eye roll) in September...or more like, that ONE game you didn't win. One game is ALWAYS enough to change playoff seeding for most of the teams that get into the playoffs, if not all of them. Winning in week 15 or 16 is NO MORE important than winning in week two or three.
Yes, but you can still win games without fully hitting your stride or maximizing your potential. Good teams do that, like how we took care of business against the Niners. The real objective is to be peaking in the 3 facets of the game heading into the playoffs. Get hot and get on a roll.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
While it's nice to escape with a win of course, many are blind if they feel all is quiet and well on the Western front. Carson seems to be the only hope that this O can generate any semblance of adequacy. Will Wilson even make it the whole year with this pathetic assembly of an OL? Are folks really expecting wholesale changes to come during the season via trade or scheme?

Things will pick up some, but for certain people to completely ignore concerns that others have on this thtead and others as either "entitlement" or "bandwagon" or "sky is falling panic" is out of line. Many are simply just concerned with the on-field product witnessed thus far.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":21ktnsuf said:
Yes, but you can still win games without fully hitting your stride or maximizing your potential. Good teams do that, like how we took care of business against the Niners. The real objective is to be peaking in the 3 facets of the game heading into the playoffs. Get hot and get on a roll.
Your first two sentences are true statements, but peaking heading into the playoffs and getting on a roll is a fallacy which is not supported by the facts. (It's also not what Warden said.)

Since I know most people don't like looking at facts with an open mind including the willingness to admit being wrong, I'll lay out the raw FACTS of the matter. Of the last 10 Super Bowl champions, here are their respective records for the last four regular-season games of the years they won the Super Bowl in as well as their regular season total records in parentheses; hold my beer:

2016 Patriots: 4-0 (14-2)
2015 Broncos: 2-2 (12-4)
2014 Patriots: 3-1 (12-4)
2013 Seahawks: 2-2 (13-3)
2012 Ravens: 1-3 (10-6)
2011 Giants: 3-1 (9-7)
2010 Packers: 2-2 (10-6)
2009 Saints: 1-3 (13-3)
2008 Stealers: 3-1 (12-4)
2007 Giants: 2-2 (10-6)

Total: 23-17
Winning percentage for final month heading into the playoffs: 57.5%

Season total: 115-45, which means the SEASON average win percentage of the last 10 Super Bowl champions is 71.9%.

The Super Bowl winners lost MORE often in the stretch heading into the playoffs than they did for the overall season, and by a large margin. Status of the notion that you want to get on a roll in December to do well in the playoffs: busted.

Oh, and in case you want to try and pull out the "well, a lot of those teams locked up a bye and rested their starters in week 17" argument; only three week 17 games were lost out of those 10, so once again...

61GXd2EDWCL SY450

Latest posts