A taste of what to expect this season...Lock 2021 highlights

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The Wilson thing seems like a canard.

Either way, Wilson is gone. Yes, he went off script often. Was that because he couldn't produce the script or because the script was not adequate? Does it matter now? He is gone.
It's no more a canard than the Pete thing.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You might be right. Canard is the wrong word. We have no way of knowing whether the issues with Wilson are even false. Fair enough.

It is a distraction that is irrelevant. What Wilson is or isn't... hardly matters now that he left the team.

Pete, however, is still here. So his shortcomings, weaknesses, and predilections ARE relevant.

Since any improvement will depend on Pete, unless you think Lock can somehow improve enough to offset Carroll? (This thread is about the success with Lock this coming season, and that success likely depends more on Carroll than Lock - which isn't great news given Carroll's recent track record.)

BASF

Reaction score
I think Russ is going to light it up in Denver.
But, he’s on another team now so regardless if he does or doesn’t, none of it effects the Hawks.
You are aware that we have their first and second picks next year? Whether Wilson lights it up in Denver has a huge effect on the Hawks.

GemCity

Reaction score
You are aware that we have their first and second picks next year? Whether Wilson lights it up in Denver has a huge effect on the Hawks.
I know. I could’ve worded it differently as the comment was made more in to regard of our offensive system vs Denver’s.

I’ve also seen QBs perform well..and the team still suck.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You might be right. Canard is the wrong word. We have no way of knowing whether the issues with Wilson are even false. Fair enough.

It is a distraction that is irrelevant. What Wilson is or isn't... hardly matters now that he left the team.

Pete, however, is still here. So his shortcomings, weaknesses, and predilections ARE relevant.

Since any improvement will depend on Pete, unless you think Lock can somehow improve enough to offset Carroll? (This thread is about the success with Lock this coming season, and that success likely depends more on Carroll than Lock - which isn't great news given Carroll's recent track record.)
It's the offseason, so distractions are all we've got right now.

One of Pete Carroll's central themes, and key to who he is, is the goal of trying to make everyone on the team the best version of themselves that they can be. Nobody here is predicting that Lock (or Geno, for that matter) are going to be the next late bloomer a la Josh Allen, but it it's going to happen anywhere, it could very well be here. Neither Lock nor Geno have ever been in the situation they're in now -- prolonged open competition with legitimate chances to start, on a presumably non-dysfunctional team.

How will it turn out? It remains to be seen. But I will point out that "Carroll's recent track record" involves a QB that was at odds with pretty much every OC we've had in the past ten years, so I don't think it's quite the indicator you apparently think it is.

In the end, the nay-sayers might be right. Or they might be wrong. Any categorical claims either way are premature at best.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I agree it was on purpose. It was after the ownership signed Carroll to a 5 year extension. The writing was on the wall after that and Russ wanted out. Publicly complaining opened the flood gates and alerted the rest of the league that he was going to be available soon. I dont blame him a bit.

You keep bringing up the Rams game blaming Wilson and never mentioning the horrid game plan and coaching debacle that was on display. It was the kind of coaching that we Seahawk fans have grown accustomed to from Pete Carroll in the post season. Lets not mention how the defense gave up 130 yards on the ground to Akers and allowed a QB with 4 fingers to march down the field over and over again.
LOLOL It wasn't just Pete's Defense who got outdone in that game by a "4 fingers" Quarterback, Russ WITH ALL HIS HEALTH, FINGERS & FOOFORAH got his butt handed to him by an "Offensive minded" McVay 'Defense'.
You're always blaming Pete for 'Do it my Own Way' Russell Wilson's flub-ups.
RUSS is A-L-S-O a PART OF THE REASON for those losses to the Rams, NOT JUST PETE.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LOLOL It wasn't just Pete's Defense who got outdone in that game by a "4 fingers" Quarterback, Russ WITH ALL HIS HEALTH, FINGERS & FOOFORAH got his butt handed to him by an "Offensive minded" McVay 'Defense'.
You're always blaming Pete for 'Do it my Own Way' Russell Wilson's flub-ups.
RUSS is A-L-S-O a PART OF THE REASON for those losses to the Rams, NOT JUST PETE.

Again, ZERO roll outs called the entire game while Russ was getting killed. Thats not on Wilson.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Roll outs are a part of the west coast offense. He was getting killed because he held the ball too long.

Lol. He was getting killed because the Oline couldnt contain their pass rush.

Rosco

Reaction score
Lol. He was getting killed because the Oline couldnt contain their pass rush.
Both can be true. Last I checked, Russell Wilson isn’t a pocket passer. He rolls out as matter of tendency due to being short and needing to find a passing lane. Peyton Manning had a crappy oline as well, he just got rid of the ball quickly.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Both can be true. Last I checked, Russell Wilson isn’t a pocket passer. He rolls out as matter of tendency due to being short and needing to find a passing lane. Peyton Manning had a crappy oline as well, he just got rid of the ball quickly.

Last I checked all QBs under a Pete Carroll coached team receive a large number of sacks. Geno was sacked 13 times in the 4 games he played in.

Rosco

Reaction score
Last I checked all QBs under a Pete Carroll coached team receive a large number of sacks. Geno was sacked 13 times in the 4 games he played in.
Geno likely isn’t calling the right protections at the line and holding the ball too long not being sure where to throw the ball

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Geno likely isn’t calling the right protections at the line and holding the ball too long not being sure where to throw the ball

When are you going to quit making excuses? Carroll just doesnt hold the Oline as a high priority for some reason. He never has.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Well we had a Matt Flyn would have won us more super bowls thread and now we got posters thinking Lock is going to be a passable QB here. Ridiculous takes abound around this place now. Lock won't even start for this team(Pete will not allow a QB to turn the ball over). Geno will start, and that says it all right there.
Lock will win the starting job. Geno is terrible.

toffee

Reaction score
Holding the ball too long is common problem, 2.4 or 2.x seconds really isn't a lot of time.

HawkinNY

Reaction score

Just gonna put this here. Allen was a borderline bust before he wasn't. These clips are about 15 minutes of Allen looking a heckuva lot like Lock.

Players can evolve. Players can go from not 'getting it' to having a solid grasp of a scheme. Players can go from playing 'uphill', to being comfortable and playing ahead of the play.

Will Lock do that? Don't know. But Allen's first 2 seasons didn't foretell what he would become. Again, is Lock Allen? Nope. Just saying that the tape he's laid down to date isn't necessarily the end of the story.

Remember when we got Hasselbeck? He had a rough first half. Then got benched to then playing the last few games like a all-pro. Sometimes it just takes the right system and time to create magic.