What if Geno regresses?

keasley45

Reaction score
In so many ways, Geno is the perfect QB for this offense. He's good at diagnosing defenses and taking advantage of mismatches. He's got a great deep ball, great touch, and he's mobile enough to slide in the pocket and if necessary, use his legs to get yards.

Agree that at this point, the talent around him is so good that he doesn't need to do as much even as he did last year to be successful. He should have a far easier time in 2023. There will be times when he needs to do something special, but it's not as though he hasn't shown that he can. The Saints game last year was surgical perfection. Going drive after drive down the field on his arm, making some pretty spectacular throws. Ssme with the Detroit game. We needed him to put us on top late in the game and he did. He gets docked for nit having the killer instinct but he was the one often keeping us in games last year. His laser to DK against the Rams won us that game at the end of regulation. And with better protection and a year smarter, maybe those fumbles that were forced by the Bucs and 9ers don't happen.

I think the offense all around this year is going to be solid. And Geno will more often than not just need to do his part.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
In so many ways, Geno is the perfect QB for this offense. He's good at diagnosing defenses and taking advantage of mismatches. He's got a great deep ball, great touch, and he's mobile enough to slide in the pocket and if necessary, use his legs to get yards.

Agree that at this point, the talent around him is so good that he doesn't need to do as much even as he did last year to be successful. He should have a far easier time in 2023. There will be times when he needs to do something special, but it's not as though he hasn't shown that he can. The Saints game last year was surgical perfection. Going drive after drive down the field on his arm, making some pretty spectacular throws. Ssme with the Detroit game. We needed him to put us on top late in the game and he did. He gets docked for nit having the killer instinct but he was the one often keeping us in games last year. His laser to DK against the Rams won us that game at the end of regulation. And with better protection and a year smarter, maybe those fumbles that were forced by the Bucs and 9ers don't happen.

I think the offense all around this year is going to be solid. And Geno will more often than not just need to do his part.
Very well said. I'm really hoping you're right.

He seems dialed in mentally and we know what he can do with the long ball. He can spin it very well.

There will be moments of adversity this season. I'm looking forward to seeing how he responds when things aren't going our way. How will he lead. How tough can he be.

Imo, the success of this season boils down to Geno. And that's not some Nostradamus prediction. He plays arguably the most important position on the field. Yes having a running game will do wonders. But if the other team starts stacking the box and they're running single high safety looks, that's when Geno needs to take advantage.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not worried, the competition was tight between him and Lock last year, there will be a drop off sure as Lock gets game speed timing down and adjusts but the season will not go south in a direct route. I think Geno gets appreciated more this year however, and the weapons he has most the QB's in the league will be envious of by midseason. Especially one sitting a mile high.

strohmin

Reaction score
Question: What if Geno Smith regresses this season?

How long or short of a leash are you willing to give him before we start clamoring for Lock or looking forward to next year's draft?

I know what some of you already thinking here. "Dude stfu we don't need that negativity around here go root for someone else." Or "Wow what happened to you Jerhawk? You're a terrible poster anymore. Geno isn't going to regress. Do you even watch football?"

For those willing to continue with this hypothetical discussion, I think it's definitely a possibility and I'm assuming, or hoping, that Carroll has a contingency plan in case Geno regresses this season.

And when I say regress, I mean reverting back to his old habits, turning the ball over and not making wise decisions with the ball. Taking a step back as a reliable QB.

Last season he went 30/11 for TD/INT ratio in the regular season, however 4 of those INTs were in December. Did teams finally get some tape on him and make proper adjustments? Time will tell. Of course I hope he shines and carries this team, but again I'm curious how long, or short, of a leash he will have with the coaching staff and fans IF he begins to perform poorly considering the talent around him on paper.
I am 100% sure Geno will play better than last year. I have no doubt in my mind.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
All semantics aside...labeling a QB as elite or just a "game manager"...it really comes down to how well he executes what he has been coached ...in carrying out the intent of the play called in from the sidelines.

The Offensive Coordinator is the Offensive "designer" and (utilizing the tools the Head Coach and GM has delivered) creates game plans...the more creative the game plan (the success rate tilts toward winning the chess game)...forcing the opponents Def C. to "react and adjust".

Geno has the experience to "make adjustments" /audible out and excel at finding the coverage mismatch. We shall see how our "many moving pieces" compares to those of our "renewed" rival 49ers team.

In the end it's "TEAMS" that win playoffs and Super Bowls...Geno is the "linchpin" of a very good offensive TEAM that carries high hopes.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

This.

Geno won't regress. He has more parts around him, and a defense that won't fold like a lawn chair.

Our offensive time of possession is going to be alot better, he's going to have the run game to fall back on as well with a dual pronged attack.

There's more mental pressure on him this year as a second year leader - but alot less physical pressure.

He'll be fine.

AND we don't have to f***ing go to Munich this year. So, there won't be a mid-season analoscopy to deal with that tanks everyone's motivation. Well, hopefully.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He likely won't regress, but he needs to get better with the game on the line. That's not too much to expect.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
All QBs are "game managers". It's the basic task that role must do. Like the basic task for a salesperson is to sell. Some are better at it than others. That's why they are considered good, great, or elite.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
One hell of a lot depends on the Offensive teammates around you doing their share of making plays , and too, also having a Defense that doesn't let the opponent run up the score to an unattainable comeback.
I mean the mere fact that Geno now has a full season of interactive growth with his Offense (continuity), and that he will also benefit from the added Offensive weapons I believe that he will take the Offense to the next level.
Believing Geno can get it done, is just as easy for me as quitting on him is by his detractors.

Fade

Reaction score
He likely won't regress, but he needs to get better with the game on the line. That's not too much to expect.

Pete's gotta fix the defense so Geno doesn't have to play like a HoFer to barely win a game, due to having to play perfect in the 4th.

I can tell you only really watch the Seahawks. Because it's been this way for a long time. When you have Pro-Bowl caliber play at QB, and you struggle to consistently control the game as a team, with an emphasized running game, something is wrong.

In the Seahawks case it's been mainly the defense.

Geno had 3 game winning drives and 2 4th Quarter comebacks in 2022 btw. And that game in DET where he played like the MVP of the league wasn't one of them.

I'd list Geno needing to be more clutch at about #47 of the things the Seahawks need to do or be better at going forward. They're much bigger fish to fry.

Stooge DCs, and flushing assets down the toilet on defense repeatedly, are the main warts of the Seahawks.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
If this OLine can gel and have a true leader ala Bobby Wagner (but on the line), Geno's life/game is going to be a lot cleaner. I love watching Wags get the troops lined up, calling out the play, and his squad knowing exactly what is about to go down.

*Side note, Kam and Earl were great at taking that info and relaying to the other DBs. Sherm just knew every play, so he was good on his island, haha. Getting Adams back is going to help a lot in this aspect (assuming he's good-to-go).

Xxx

Reaction score
With me his leash is all ready tight as it can get. I already think drew lock is worth checking out cause Geno doesn’t bring anything special, geno can manage the game against a bad team. But put any kinda talent in his way and he loses. He does not have any ice in his water

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Whoa, easy there. It's not time for Lock. They are 3-2 and have a couple home games coming up. IF he loses one of these next two games? Maybe they think about it. But that's a big maybe.

Xxx

Reaction score
Pete's gotta fix the defense so Geno doesn't have to play like a HoFer to barely win a game, due to having to play perfect in the 4th.

I can tell you only really watch the Seahawks. Because it's been this way for a long time. When you have Pro-Bowl caliber play at QB, and you struggle to consistently control the game as a team, with an emphasized running game, something is wrong.

In the Seahawks case it's been mainly the defense.

Geno had 3 game winning drives and 2 4th Quarter comebacks in 2022 btw. And that game in DET where he played like the MVP of the league wasn't one of them.

I'd list Geno needing to be more clutch at about #47 of the things the Seahawks need to do or be better at going forward. They're much bigger fish to fry.

Stooge DCs, and flushing assets down the toilet on defense repeatedly, are the main warts of the Seahawks.
No way man. Geno is like a really athletic flashy basketball player who can’t dunk

Crizilla

Reaction score
I would have put Lock in this game in the 2nd half. Brutal day.