A theory about NFL QBs and durability

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2udyiybt said:
I do think that toughness is highly individual, but I guess I just see it differently with durability. A lot of those injuries Hass had were not the kind he could have just gutted it out and played through.

I look at Kaepernick and Newton and I see tanks. I disagree about Kaepernick avoiding contact, at least when he's running. That may well be true in the pocket, but no two QBs in the NFL seek the sideline less than Newton and Kaep. That's what makes Kaep such a dangerous runner, he runs with a WR mentality because he believes that any time he cuts inside its a chance for 6. Think back on the NFFCG and how many times he forced Seattle to tackle him. By contrast guys like Wilson and Rodgers will turn down easy yardage to seek the sideline as early as possible.

And I think the reason Kaep has that mentality is that getting a square hit on him at his build and speed is just about impossible. With Wilson, I am less secure about his durability, but I think there is something to be said about him never missing a game or the fact that he hasn't even been on an injury report in 5 years.

It's a well established fact in scouting circles that taller/heavier QBs are historically more durable. Really the point of my post is trying to understand why Wilson and Flutie have been exceptions. It could just be small sample size.
True, but the number of times Kaep slides 4 yards before he gets touched are numerous as well.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1ekvbfs6 said:
I do think that toughness is highly individual, but I guess I just see it differently with durability. A lot of those injuries Hass had were not the kind he could have just gutted it out and played through.

I look at Kaepernick and Newton and I see tanks. I disagree about Kaepernick avoiding contact, at least when he's running. That may well be true in the pocket, but no two QBs in the NFL seek the sideline less than Newton and Kaep. That's what makes Kaep such a dangerous runner, he runs with a WR mentality because he believes that any time he cuts inside its a chance for 6. Think back on the NFFCG and how many times he forced Seattle to tackle him. By contrast guys like Wilson and Rodgers will turn down easy yardage to seek the sideline as early as possible.

And I think the reason Kaep has that mentality is that getting a square hit on him at his build and speed is just about impossible. With Wilson, I am less secure about his durability, but I think there is something to be said about him never missing a game or the fact that he hasn't even been on an injury report in 5 years.

It's a well established fact in scouting circles that taller/heavier QBs are historically more durable. Really the point of my post is trying to understand why Wilson and Flutie have been exceptions. It could just be small sample size.

Disagree on Kap there. It depends on the situation tho. In the playoffs and especially on 3rd down he was much more bold about staying in bounds and getting a little more, but he slides and gets himself out of bounds ALOT. Against Green Bay last year when he got the 181 he got like 170 of that prior to contact. That 58 yard run he had in the NFCCG against you guys was actually something he doesn't do that often, IE cut to the middle of the field instead of runnig to the sideline and then having to be tackled instead of giving himself up. Thats part of why it was a career long run.

I suspect its because he knew yards of any kind were going to be tough to come by against your D and he just said "screw it" and got as much as he could.

As an example of what I mean about him running the ball in the regular season compared to the postseason, Kap ran for 524 yards in 16 games last year and averaged 5.7 yards per carry. In 6 career postseason games he's rushed for 507 yards (2nd all time for a QB) and averages 9.94 yards per carry.

It really depends on what's on the line is what I'm saying. He really protects himself from those hits in the regular season and plays a different brand of football in the playoffs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25qc5227 said:
True, but the number of times Kaep slides 4 yards before he gets touched are numerous as well.

Very true.

formido

Reaction score
Kap is a very smart runner. He breaks a lot of tackles but they're always arm tackles he knows he can break. The only time I've seen him take a direct shot is when the season is on the line. He slides early and goes out of bounds often.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
sutz":1kzydwny said:
IIRC there was a stat once that noted that scrambling QBs get hurt less than pocket passers, especially since the advent of the slide rule. Maybe it was just some talking head that said it, but it kind of stands to reason. A guy in motion out in the open field takes less hits than the guy in the pocket, getting big guys shoved back into their faces and being hit from all angles.

I do know that 'little' guys like Wilson can duck under hits sometimes, we've all seen him do it. And much like a running back, he can hide behind the bigger OL-men and be less visible to the defense.

As for where the injuries occur, I'm sure the rules have something to do with that.
The hits pocket passers are going to take are largely going to be blindside (usually left) where they don't even know it's coming. Running qbs are like jaywalkers--they keep their head on a swivel and are hyper aware and avoid getting hit.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Colin runs like a tailback, but his passing skills are limited. He's looking for the running lanes before he's looking to drop back into the often nice pockets his powerful o-line creates for him. He's a dip. And regardless of his running, his passing skills are not on Russell's level. He'll have to get lucky to win a SB. He's never gonna will his team to a SB like Russell could.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":217c7l0c said:

Every QB slides. I'm talking about his tendencies in relation to other QBs. Of all the NFL QBs, only Newton is more aggressive as a runner*, IMO. And both dudes are so aggressive because they can take a hit and laugh it off the way Andrew Luck (literally) does.

*Vick and pre-injury RG3 would be up there too, but I think we've seen the last of Vick and RG3 will be a very different runner going forward.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1283opxm said:
Scottemojo":1283opxm said:

Every QB slides. I'm talking about his tendencies in relation to other QBs. Of all the NFL QBs, only Newton is more aggressive as a runner*, IMO. And both dudes are so aggressive because they can take a hit and laugh it off the way Andrew Luck (literally) does.

*Vick and pre-injury RG3 would be up there too, but I think we've seen the last of Vick and RG3 will be a very different runner going forward.
I think Newton is a badass runner. He simply does not fear contact. He has Ben Roethlisberger's attitude with 4.58 speed.

The under rated tough guy? Luck. He takes a lot of contact, and seems to just shrug it off.