Andrew Luck retiring?

Threedee

Reaction score
He should reverse-Irsays and move to Maryland. Start putting that Stanford architectural design degree to use.

uncle fester

Reaction score
From Warren Sharp (NFL analytics) via Twitter

“From 2012 - 2015 the Colts drafted three - THREE (my emphasis) - offensive linemen higher than the 7th round. None of which stuck on the team.

In GM Ryan Grigson’s tenure, Luck was pressured 16 times per game - the most pressures. This, along with the most hits taken by a QB in the league for that span”

By 2015, Luck was playing through an injured shoulder, a lacerated kidney and a partially torn abdominal muscle.

So no, I don’t buy that the Colts invested a lot into protecting Luck. They invested a lot into protecting Luck once he’d started to wear down.

Injuries prior to significant O Line investment - and thinking all you need for success is a QB, some crazy Fantasy stats and the occasional WR: Torn cartilage in two ribs, injured shoulder, partially torn abdominal muscle, lacerated kidney, torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. The leg injury he’s got now is the only injury sustained AFTER they realised he was beaten to all hell, as they started hoovering up O Linemen, praying everything would be ok.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Apologies for the rant, but for some reason - though I don’t care what happens to the Colts - I would get really annoyed about the Wilson/Luck comparison when fans would say “Well put Luck behind Wilson’s O-line and...etc etc”

How about “No”? How about build your own damn O-Line and keep your golden boy upright? How about realising you’ve landed a generational talent and protect him? But no, the clown car in Indianapolis strapped on their clown shoes, did their clown makeup, ran a brilliant talent into the ground - and collected a GM Of The Year award in the process.

Hang that as a banner in your stadium, you total morons. I wouldn’t give Jim Irsay the controls to the TV, much less a franchise.

I may need some air.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Luck and RG3 got picked by absolute dumpster fire organizations. Both would have had superior careers in Seattle with Carroll and Cabevel (Not saying either would even equal Wilson).

Luck would have been a better match for Bevel than either Wilson or RG3. Bevel would probably still be in the league, had Luck ended up in Seattle.

Personally, I was on the RG3 bandwagon, and he would have been my pick at number one. Given what the Colts did to Luck, RG3 wouldn't have had any more success there.

Had RG3 played for a different org, and learned to protect himself, he would have had a better career. Instead, he sacrificed his knee to that field, and his ego was too big to become a student of the game, and stop taking risks.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
uncle fester":1g68ur25 said:
How about realising you’ve landed a generational talent...

Generational talent?!? Jesus H Christ on a bike, will the over-hype train never stop running for that loser? He wasn't even the best QB in the draft that year!

NINEster

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1k7uru6u said:
Lol, obviously I know we didn't have the choice to choose Luck. I wouldn't have even if we had a top pick, FYI.

So maybe I should rephrase and say, did the Colts make the wrong decision in choosing Luck? I suppose hindsight is 20/20.

Or maybe, Russ was always the better QB. Luck was just overhyped, turnover prone, in a cakewalk division and never actually lived up to the hype? Good luck to him and his future, but the Colts chose the wrong QB. Not complaining though :D

There are some that say that Luck and Wilson played on opposite calibers of teams during their careers. Probably a lot more than some. You guys are finally starting to see just how much Wilson was carried those first two seasons versus now where he does a lot more of the carrying to inferior results.

The Colts team that made it to the AFC Championship last that spawned deflategate was supposedly a very mediocre non deserving squad just lucky to be there, hence the 45-7 blowout. That was the last time either of these QBs made it that far in the post season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Luck could have been a great QB, but the Clits were lazy and stupid. They hired a bad GM that hired shitty coaches, who ignored the run game and the Offensive Line, thinking all they needed to do was to have Andrew throw the ball and they would all end up in the Hall of Fame.

Hence, Luck got pounded, game after game until Indianapolis WASTED what could have been a generational talent.

Fortunately for us, and Russell Wilson, we got John Schneider, Pete Carroll, along with a Generational Defense, a Generational running back, and some of the best talent scouting and game planning in the NFL.

Pete took the approach with a young QB of surrounding him with that defense, and by being a run heavy team. Unfortunately, after spending all of that money on the defense, we had scrap Oline, and if not for Russell's elite athleticism, being cool in the pocket, and while protecting his body like Pete preached, we would not have made it to the SuperB Owl.

The Colts owner is a drunken, rich Boob, that has cost his team dearly. And that's too bad for them, and for Andrew Luck.

Jville

Reaction score
[youtube]PehTdoAzREo[/youtube]

Thanks many who helped him ....... including especially Matt Hasselbeck.

uncle fester

Reaction score
GeekHawk":iwx4x66x said:
uncle fester":iwx4x66x said:
How about realising you’ve landed a generational talent...

Generational talent?!? Jesus H Christ on a bike, will the over-hype train never stop running for that loser? He wasn't even the best QB in the draft that year!

Outside of the Seattle FO, Russ was considered a potential backup and nothing more. Attributing the god-awful Indianapolis FO with the same opinion is not a stretch.

With that in mind, here are the other options for The Colts for a shiny new starting QB for the next ten years

2011 (Manning is injured but still playing, this is the first time they could’ve been looking at a potential replacement)

Cam Newton (certain to go 1st overall, Panthers unlikely to trade down with Indy at 22)
Other options:
Jake Locker - out of the league
Blaine Gabbert - backup
Christian Ponder - out of the league
Andy Dalton - starter
Colin Kaepernick - out of the league
Ryan Mallett - out of the league

2012 They either fall ass-backwards into Luck or a more cynical person would say they tanked the season for him. Other options were:

Russell Wilson - the exception proving the rule
Other options:
RGIII - backup
Ryan Tannehill - as of the time of writing, backup
Brandon Weeden - out of the league
Brock Osweiler - backup
Nick Foles - starter
Kirk Cousins - starter

2013 it gets worse.
EJ Manuel - out of the league
Geno Smith - backup
Mike Glennon - backup
The rest of this list is beyond bad.

Blake Bortles - backup
Johnny Manziel - out of the league
Teddy Bridgewater - backup
Derek Carr - starter
Jimmy Garoppolo - starter

So out of the acres of amazing, sure-fire starting QBs in a four year window (a generation in terms of NFL life expectancy - or the time it would take for an entire FO to be fired) there was Newton (who they weren’t getting, picking at 22 )Luck, Wilson (too short), Carr, Garoppolo and Dalton.

TL:DR
You’re in charge of Indy in 2012, under a pile of scouting reports. In a 4 year window before you’re fired, your other options are Foles, Cousins, Dalton, Carr, Garoppolo. The other guy’s too short to play in this league. Tell me you’re not picking Luck at #1 overall. I believe you.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sorry to break up the Russell WIlson posts, but Andrew Luck was a hell of a QB.

As injuries took their toll he really evolved his game too. He played most of his career with a bad o-line, a bad running game, and no defense to support him. He was bordering on a one man show for years and never publicly complained about it.

And his best year -- when he finally had some semblance of a team around him -- was his last.

Because of all that I don't think he stats ever really truly reflected his ability.

In style of play he was a bigger, faster, stronger Drew Brees. Just a ton of fun to watch.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2amfqxph said:
Sorry to break up the Russell WIlson posts, but Andrew Luck was a hell of a QB.

As injuries took their toll he really evolved his game too. He played most of his career with a bad o-line, a bad running game, and no defense to support him. He was bordering on a one man show for years and never publicly complained about it.

And his best year -- when he finally had some semblance of a team around him -- was his last.

Because of all that I don't think he stats ever really truly reflected his ability.

In style of play he was a bigger, faster, stronger Drew Brees. Just a ton of fun to watch.

This is the guy that Richard Sherman said is the nicest person you'll ever meet. Dude was a compliment machine on the field to the guys that gave him the hits that ruined his body. And like you said, a special talent.

It sucks that he didn't get a chance to keep going and see what he could do with a more complete team. He got a lot of crap from our fan base because of hype over him from sports media and feelings of disrespect regarding RW. But that's not Luck's fault; I didn't see him talking about how good he is.

Jville

Reaction score
kobebryant":3ty9jo9i said:
Cyrus12":3ty9jo9i said:
He got booed off the field by Indy fans.

Ridiculous to see.

He’ll sleep well tonight, pack up his house, and get the heck out of the state of Indiana and never look back.

Unfortunately, every fan base is plagued by poor behavior from time to time ..... including Seattle's. In the you tube retirement video, Andrew states, as a point of emphasis, that his home is Indiana and expresses his continuing commitment to Indianapolis, Indiana.

Andrew Luck is genuine. Indianapolis is fortunate to have him set a humble example of how to live with adversity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dude played hard, was nothing but class. Amazing how stupid some fans can be. That's a pretty good fan base out there in Indy, but you could tell in his presser that it really hurt to hear that. Lame sauce booing that guy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":1chn78i6 said:
Unfortunately, every fan base is plagued by poor behavior from time to time ..... including Seattle's.

Spot on. 9ers fans too.

I live in Canada now and even all of these obnoxiously nice Canadians instantly started cheering Durant getting injured before thinking better of it.

And they shouldn't have booed him, but I get it too. They'd watched his career be wasted, last year was the year their team finally started to turn around again, and now they're back at zero. They were pissed and frustrated about that, just as Hawks fans were as most of their stars left, and just as 9ers fans were about Aldon having substance issues and Willis retiring very early too.

Latest posts