Anyone Else Think the #12 "Fan" Jerseys Are Dumb

drdiags

Reaction score
Yep, they are corny. That is why I have a wolf grey one along with all my other gear. Since I am a grandfatherly type, I am now moving toward those sweat jackets and other gear they have. Love this stuff man. Ha ha!!

Was going to get me an XLIX flag to go with my XLVIII one but those dang Patriots spoiled my party.

timmat

Reaction score
I love the 12 jerseys. I'm proud we have a number. I have a limited 12 jersey, where a custom name was not an option. I do wish it had "Seahawks" or even "Twelve" on the name panel instead of Fan, but oh well.

When fans of other teams from other cities ask me about the difference between 12's at a home game vs home fans of other teams, I tell them that fans in other cities go to root on the team; Hawks fans feel that we're part of the team. So I'm proud to wear my number.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2xyid9ve said:
Any more dumb than paying $100+ dollars fora players jersey, then 2 years later they are playing for another team? No.

I bought my Sydney Rice jersey the day before he was injured. He never played another game. The other choice I had , was Harvin, but I just didn't like a number 11. Both choices would have been bad.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'll share with you guys my .02 on the "12th Man Jersey" matter. As I've mentioned before several times, I'm a lifelong fan of the Seahawks. My family moved to Washington in 1977 when I was 6 years old ... and from that time on, I was a Hawks fan. I grew up with Zorn, Largent, Curt Warner, Kenny Easley, Jacob Green, etc. ... and have never ever rooted for another NFL team in my life. The Seahawks have always been my team and I've been a passionate "12" even when it seemed like absolutely nobody was. Like many of you, I lived through years of being regarded as the "Sea-Chickens" and was a loud and proud fan of this team even during the darkest of times (the Ken Behring years, going 2-14 in 1992, etc.).

And all of this brings me back to the "12th Man" Jerseys. For many years now, I've really wanted a Seahawks Jersey, but have never been able to afford one. As some of you know, I finally was able to land a full time teaching job after many years of struggle and trial. It's been a wonderful experience and my students have been great.

Well ... yesterday was my birthday. All of my students are passionate young 12's ... and know that I'm a passionate Seahawks fan as well. They absolutely blew me away on Friday with a stunning gift. They all chipped in and presented me with a Kam Chancellor Jersey. I was extremely moved (basically to tears) and thanked all of them profusely for the gift. What an amazing gesture! Unfortunately, they got me the wrong size (they got me a large and I need more of an XL if not an XXL). The kid who ended up buying it gave me the receipt and they all told me it was cool if I went out and exchanged it for whatever jersey I wanted. I was able to return it, get the money from it, and am now in the process of trying to figure out exactly what I want.

Sooooooo ... yesterday, I spent most of my time online shopping around, trying to find the best deals, and wracking my brain in an attempt to not only figure out WHOSE jersey I want. In fact, I just got back from visiting the Seahawks Team Store at Century Link and all of the team stores up and down that strip between the CLINK and Safeco.

I started off wanting a Steve Largent Jersey, as he was very much my idol growing up. I went online last night and found this one ...

http://www.seahawksstoreofficial.co...wks_Men-s_Game_Steel_Team_Color_Jersey_-_Blue

It's cool and all, but then the thought occurred to me, "Hey, Largent himself never wore this style of jersey." So, that kind of dimmed that idea a little for me. I looked at the Largent Jersey they had down there at the Seahawks team shop today ... and frankly the $150 price tag kind of gagged me a bit (though the jersey looks awesome).

Then the thought struck me -- what about getting a 12th Man Jersey instead? And frankly, that's kind of the way I'm leaning right now and I'll tell you why. Mama Blue perhaps said it best when she was asked once, "Who's your favorite Seahawk of all time?" Having been a fan of so many good players over the years, she gave a great answer, "I love all my boys!"

I can definitely relate and have to agree, as having been a fan of so many Seahawks over the years I'm kind of in the same boat. If I got a Largent Jersey ... and some day I happened to be wearing that jersey and met Russell Wilson, it would be a bit weird to ask him to sign that. For me, the same thing would be true if I got a Russell Wilson jersey and then met Richard Sherman. Seriously, would you really ask Sherm to sign that #3? But the cool thing about a 12th Man Jersey is that it's basically timeless. Whether you're talking about guys like Zorn and Largent ... Hasselbeck and Alexander ... or Wilson and Beast Mode, you could literally have any Seahawk player from any era sign that baby without batting an eye. Personally, I would absolutely LOVE to fill up that 12th Man Jersey with signatures from about every Seahawk or former Seahawk player I could find.

That would be really cool ... and how cool that this team had the foresight to retire the number 12 after the 1984 season. There is no other team in the NFL that truly has the "12's" and the type of intimate and interconnected relationship with its fans. That is something that is amazingly special and unique.

Long story to say that's where I'm personally at right now on the whole 12th Man Jersey right now.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I was at the game where the fans were awarded the game ball. We beat the Giants. They had soooooooo many false starts that game. At our stadium the fans do have an outcome on each game. We left no doubt. #12 Fan

purpleworld

Reaction score
Yes, my pet peeve too....if you are wearing a Seahawk jersey, it is understood that you are a 'fan', you don't need it stated with a silly word....i'd rather them put 'Seahawks' or just leave it blank.

nanomoz

Reaction score
But buying someone else's work uniform out of admiration of their athletic prowess isn't?

TAB420

Reaction score
I like it because it sets us apart from any other team, or fan base.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I have a Reebok & Nike 12, but both have my last name on them. It's a safe way to go. As has been mentioned, I've been burned too many times by players getting traded/released and the jerseys just hang in the closet. I think it's pretty cool that we have a timeless # designated to us.

Howie_16

Reaction score
The 12 jersey is perfectly fine, and it is also better to have your own name on it instead of "FAN", which is too generic. The players don't have "PLAYER" on the back of their jersey.

You know what jerseys really tick me off? Jerseys that are not Seahawks jerseys!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Chapman":yxe6joho said:
I've got a 12 with my name on the back.
I agree with just leaving Fan on there.
The only reason I have my name on mine is because it was a gift.
I agree with this idea, because I have a few jerseys that have players that have moved on, or no longer playing football.
If you can't afford to buy multiple jerseys, l think it's a great idea to have one with the 12 and your name on it shows that you're being a fan that backs the team, those coming, as well as those that are going, AND the Coaches as well.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
In these days where people are absolutely paralyzed in fear of being portrayed as anything but cool, I can see why people would have a problem with something that might possibly appear hokey.

However, I don't have a problem with it. This is how it looks in the stadium:

5122745354 f9d373b1f7 n

If that's not good enough for your back, you might want to define yourself less by how others perceive you and more by what you believe in.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
I've never worn another teams jersey but, this is one of a very few I'd ever wear.

Norwood jersey

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
My 12 jersey has my name on the back. It was a Christmas gift back in the late 90's. Its the white road jersey. I have other player name jerseys from more recent times also. If I was going to order a custom, I'd do a 12 with my name on the back again. I don't have anything against a jersey saying FAN on the back, although I do think its stating an obvious fact.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The #12 Fan jersey isn't my style but it is definitely not dumb. I wish more people had them in fact, because football is a team sport first and foremost.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I'll take it one step further. I just don't think it's lame, I think it's crafty and borderline predatory marketing.

"Hey you guy are Seahawk fans right? Why not be part of the this cool 12th man fan group! Here's all you need to do. Buy our ridiculously overpriced jerseys and other clothing! Now do you feel part of our team?"

Call me a cynic, call me money obsessed whatever, but I just can't get over the very obvious fact that the whole 12 craze is the team trying to basically coerce us into making us feel part of something that we really aren't.... in order to sell us merchandise

chris98251

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":d3igpvps said:
I'll take it one step further. I just don't think it's lame, I think it's crafty and borderline predatory marketing.

"Hey you guy are Seahawk fans right? Why not be part of the this cool 12th man fan group! Here's all you need to do. Buy our ridiculously overpriced jerseys and other clothing! Now do you feel part of our team?"

Call me a cynic, call me money obsessed whatever, but I just can't get over the very obvious fact that the whole 12 craze is the team trying to basically coerce us into making us feel part of something that we really aren't.... in order to sell us merchandise

You could not be more wrong, having been here from the beginning the team showed it's appreciation for the fans, retiring the number and making the jersey available in honor of the 12th man.