Anyone miss Maxwell yet?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Byron Maxwell on this team is better than Byron Maxwell with the Eagles, or either version of Cary Williams.

Jville

Reaction score
Maxwell was better in pass defense within Seattle's scheme. He also gave the team excellent and hard to come by outside/inside versatility. He was a turn over machine. But what really stood out, for me, was his strong play against the run from that right corner position. He wasn't a soft body blending tackler that pulled down ball carriers two ... three ..... or more yards after contact. Maxwell was a lower the shoulder stop em in their tracks punch the ball out force. The run support on the right side has weakened considerably since his departure. I have my doubts that we will see anyone comparable to Maxwell any time soon. IMO .... Maxwell was a complete corner.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":26g5x1y6 said:
Cary isn't as terrible as people make him out to be. With that said Thurmond was out there dirt cheap. Wish we would have went down that road, he was better then Bmax.

Thurmond isn't even a corner anymore. I don't know how that makes him better than Maxwell or Williams.

Again, Cary was signed because there was a huge hole in the secondary following the postseason. Lane was hurt. Simon was hurt. Sherman was hurt. Thomas was hurt. Chancellor was hurt. Considering the cap room we were faced with after extending RW and Wagner + adding Graham, Cary Williams fit both the salary window and the blueprint of corners this system calls for. I'm sure Pete and Richard figured they could coach Cary up similar to how to coached Browner and Maxwell up. It hasn't worked out. S**t happens.

That said - the whole secondary has been getting gouged from Week 1 on. It's not plain and simple a Cary Williams thing. If it were, Shead would have already taken that job.

The baton of hate was handed to Cary because he's not an OG member of the LOB, thus.. easier to blame a guy that we haven't grown a following of.

hawk45

Reaction score
Cary gets hate because he is putrid. Simon, unfortunately, isn't much better IMO and is made of glass.
Back to the OP, hell yes I miss Maxwell he was plenty good enough to work opposite Sherman and maintain the integrity of our defense. But signing Maxwell wasn't an option. Williams, though, that signing makes me doubt Pete's talent evaluation at that position for the first and hopefully the only time ever. I have to believe Pete could have turned any joe out there into better than Williams so the dollars paid out there are just staggering to me.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If we had Maxwell, we'd probably be hating on him too. Maybe it wouldn't be because he's playing as badly as people think Williams is but because of the larger salary we would have needed to pay in order to keep him. It's human nature to initially long for what we don't have. The trick is to focus not on what people could have done differently but what we ought to do in the future. In regard to the Seahawks, this means focusing on what can be developed within the remainder of the current season and during the upcoming off-season. I miss Maxwell. However, I miss thinking about the potential of what can be done now and in the future more.