Anyone want to be the 49ers offensive coordinator?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1v72gcba said:
Don't take it personally, Marvin; we can't help the fact that it's pretty damned amusing to us.

....and I don't blame you. Not even a little. :D

Laloosh

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1cmbujla said:
Typical 49er front office, nothing new. Still a fan, screw the rest whining and crying.

If I had giant clown feet, I'd clap with them right now. Your first non-whiny passive aggressive hate post in a long time. Bravo!

Is it Lithium?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zdevkbo said:
RolandDeschain":1zdevkbo said:
Don't take it personally, Marvin; we can't help the fact that it's pretty damned amusing to us.

Hey Marv, look at it this way. Your season ticket prices might go down and you can use the extra cash to fly the family up to Seattle for a real game day experience.

We love ya, bud.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Laloosh":8xs1lmch said:
lvnginhwktwn":8xs1lmch said:
Typical 49er front office, nothing new. Still a fan, screw the rest whining and crying.

If I had giant clown feet, I'd clap with them right now. Your first non-whiny passive aggressive hate post in a long time. Bravo!

Is it Lithium?
DUDE. I'm literally listening to it right now.

[youtube]WHZ9jh7IhkU[/youtube]

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1guzqsjs said:
Marvin49":1guzqsjs said:
RolandDeschain":1guzqsjs said:

Hey Marv, look at it this way. Your season ticket prices might go down and you can use the extra cash to fly the family up to Seattle for a real game day experience.

We love ya, bud.

Not likely. LOL.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet either.

I wanted to keep Harbaugh...but that ship has sailed.

I do actually really like Jim Tomsula. His players don't like him, they LOVE him. I keep hearing interview after interview of guys who know him or played for him that absolutely love the guy and swear by him...I just dunno if he's HC material.

I've heard Mike Martz talk about how much he loves him and when asked if he's be an OC for him he said he'd "go get coffee for Jim Tomsula".

Brian Baldinger thinks its a home-run hire and they'll win multiple championships with him (and no...I' don't put much stock in the Brian Baldinger Barrel). He says he's been trying to get Tomsula an interview all over the league for several years.

Jesse Sapolu says his players will run through a wall for him.

Even guys who kinda left badly like him...LaMichael James of all freakin people said it was a great hire and he's not exactly the biggest fan of Trent Baalke.

Any of the guy who played under him with the Rhein Fire swear by him, including his QB over there, Drew Henson.

There are a TON of guys who have come out of the woodwark to applaud the hire...

..but my prob is that I have a lot of trouble seeing his public persona and understanding how fired up they are. I don't think they are all lying, but I don't see it in a HC capacity. There is a ton of stuff from current players (like Vernon tweeting that he texted Tomsula just to say, "I love you coach, can't wait for first practice", but I'm largely trying to ingnore those posts because what are those guys gonna say really?

As a D-Line guy...nobody's better. HC...that's a different thing. Just dunno.

Most recent report is that he's been out on the road all January talking to potential assistants and expects to have a very large staff...like 2 WR coaches, etc. His big deal is teaching. Teaching the players and teaching the coaches who coach the players.

What really matters though is he needs an OC who can take control completely of that side of the ball...and they just keep missing. That was the one job where they needed to hit a home run and right now they will be lucky if they bunt a single.

If anything, the lack of getting a quality OC might be his undoing.

Laloosh

Reaction score
We get it, Marv. We wouldn't go gentle into that good night either...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":ap354f3t said:
We get it, Marv. We wouldn't go gentle into that good night either...

hehe.

Nice. :D

I'm not blind. I see what you guys see. I just happen to have a great deal of respect for Tomsula and I had that long before he was hired as HC...

...but the most important hire here was the OC. Almost more important than HC.

...and they just can't get one. Sigh.

kearly

Reaction score
To be fair to Baalke and York, I don't think would have had this kind of difficulty had they hired a coach with a well known name. Had they gotten Shanahan or Rex, their staff would have filled up immediately. It's the combination of meddling owner/GM and under-qualified HC that has the candidates spooked.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's not surprising nobody wants this gig.

For starters, you'll be working for a total unknown quantity of a Head Coach. The owner and GM fell out with the last lot and talked about 'winning with class' and constantly challenging for a championship. YOU will be totally responsible for the success or failure of Colin Kaepernick. You'll get the blame if he flops. YOUR reputation will be on the line, and yours only. Most of San Fran's talent is on defense, so there's even a legit possibility Tomsula comes out of his first season (if it is a failure) with some positive slant. You'll be the fall guy.

It's abundantly clear that the 49ers' deadly duo had NO idea, NO plan on what to do post-Harbaugh. They simply wanted to get rid. To move on. And now they've got their way, they have a totally shambolic situation unfolding.

Two years ago San Francisco and Seattle were on the same trajectory. Talent rich, fantastic coaches, physical, brilliant teams. And now look. What a total mess.

If I was a veteran in that locker room I'd be panicking and thinking about my future. Where's the direction from the top?

If you're going to get rid of Harbaugh, you better have a great plan to move on. San Fran could've owned this situation with a high profile, impressive hire with experience to get things back on track. Instead the deadly duo let their ego's run the show. It's almost annoying to observe. Almost.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wonder what this says, if anything, about the league perception of Kaepernick?

Personally, I think Tomsula's catastrophic press conference was probably enough to scare away all viable candidates. That being said, you also have to think that most legitimate NFL playcallers don't want to call a pistol-heavy offense. If they feel Kaep can't evolve into a true pro-style quarterback, then that's exactly what they'd have to do. I think Niners fans are overselling Kaep as an attractive piece for this job. Harbaugh and Roman tried to make him more conventional and surrounded him with weapons and were run out of town for it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":30oy589z said:
I wonder what this says, if anything, about the league perception of Kaepernick?

Personally, I think Tomsula's catastrophic press conference was probably enough to scare away all viable candidates. That being said, you also have to think that most legitimate NFL playcallers don't want to call a pistol-heavy offense. If they feel Kaep can't evolve into a true pro-style quarterback, then that's exactly what they'd have to do. I think Niners fans are overselling Kaep as an attractive piece for this job. Harbaugh and Roman tried to make him more conventional and surrounded him with weapons and were run out of town for it.

Its possible, but I wouldn't say Harbaugh/Roman tried to make it more conventional.

Did they try to pass more, sure...but there were huge problems with the scheme that involved no hot reads, most decisions made pre-snap, etc, etc. Not just for Kap either...early on that's one of the reasons Alex began playing better. The scheme was sold as "Easier to play from QB position" but eventually as always the league catches up.

There is a reason Roman has moved on to Buffalo as a Running Game Coordinator and they hired someone else to be in charge of the passing game. Was also setup that way at Stanford with Roman and Shaw.

Nobody better in the league than Roman in scheming the run game, but pass is not and was never his forte.

Kap isn't blameless by a longshot, but there is a reason he's in Arizona right now training with Kurt Warner as a pocket passer. He wasn't getting that same training in SF.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marvin49":3tv3rvf5 said:
he's in Arizona right now training with Kurt Warner as a pocket passer. He wasn't getting that same training in SF.

Interesting you say this. At one point, Harbaugh was considered the preeminent QB whisperer in the NFL. That rep took a hit because Kaep didn't progress. Do you feel that rep was unwarranted and that Warner can offer him something that Harbaugh couldn't?

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3iezoflm said:
Marvin49":3iezoflm said:
he's in Arizona right now training with Kurt Warner as a pocket passer. He wasn't getting that same training in SF.

Interesting you say this. At one point, Harbaugh was considered the preeminent QB whisperer in the NFL. That rep took a hit because Kaep didn't progress. Why were Harbaugh and Roman able to maximize Alex but not Kaepernick? Why did Alex look pretty successful as a WCO-style QB who could get the ball out? Is Kaep's inability to replicate that style on him or the coaching?

Relates to what I said before.

You are absolutely correct about Harbaugh coming in. A lot of that was predicated on his system though...one designed to essentially make the position easier to play. They did this by having a TON of motion presnap and making most of the QBs pre-determined by how the defense reacts to the shifts.

This of course isn't exclusive to SF by any stretch, but Harbaugh took it one step further by having SO many shifts, SO many personel packages, etc, etc.

QB would go to the line with 2 or three plays and depending on the defensive alignment, he's yet Kill, Kill, Kill or Let it Roll. This is ON TOP of audibles.

This is also why getting a play off in time was always an issue with both QBs and why they always wore wristbands...making one call would correlate to a series of plays. At Stanford, Andrew Luck wore the wristband and so did his center because Luck didn't have enough room.

Since so much is determined pre-snap, it made for what was supposed to be easier decision making post snap and on some route ONLY ONE OR TWO READS. SOme here will of course say I'm excusing Kap of one of his biggest weaknesses, but it's still true.

Another thing...there were ZERO hot reads in the offense. NONE.

Initially, this really helped Alex and helped Kap early on play at a high level. Eventiually tho...defenses caught up. You'd see teams adjust their alignment seconds before the snap and then Kap is back there with nowhere to throw to receivers who already couldn't separate.

Don't get me wrong here...Harbaugh was a godsend. Romans run offense was fantastic....but the passing game was always fairly basic and it really began to show.

This is why I was saying late this year that the 49ers will never truly know what they have in Kaepernick till they get him with a different OC running a more conventional offense.

Now I have no idea if that will happen or not. Working with Warner though is a step in the right direction. Working FROM THE POCKET.

We'll see how it goes.

chris98251

Reaction score
This situation is so much like the Jets bringing in Idsik, Yoirks hired their Pawn, everyone knows he's a pawn, everyone knows the Yorks are going to be cheap, everyone knows Baalke is calling the shots and pulling the cords.

2 seasons with a brand new stadium thats half empty, a losing record and the soon to be club house and front office finger pointing between coaches, front office and players this is going to go nuclear.

Additionally if Oakland starts winning and gets a new venue watch the migration, panic button will set in with the Yorks.

I have not even touched on the Rams moving back yet, want fuel added to a fire................

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1bp9l6bj said:
Niners just hired a talk radio host to be its QB coach. Been out of the league since the end of 2011. Was Tampa Bay's RBs coach for a couple years before that.

Ya. Was OC when Ryan was at Boston College and ECU HC when Jeff Blake and David Gerrard were there. Credited for developing them. Its been rumored for a few days now.

Regarded as a QB guy...but obviously, name WELL below the radar and was currently a talk show host.

Peeps thinkin' having so many assistants in place means Geep Chryst will be OC.

oi.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin is killing me.

"There's two types of people in this world; carnies and rubes. Don't be a rube walking down the midway, son" - Steve Bono to Jeff Kemp

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":3242c72l said:
Marvin is killing me.

"There's two types of people in this world; carnies and rubes. Don't be a rube walking down the midway, son" - Steve Bono to Jeff Kemp

uh...OK.

Not sure what I've said exactly that would make me a rube. Am I not negative enough about the Niners for you?

I don't think anything I've said in here exactly screams confidence in their present predicament.

Jville

Reaction score
“Word around the league…SF is not the place to go to make money”

Want to know how a defensive backs coach chose Dan Snyder’s team over Jed York’s? Or why the 49ers can’t find an offensive coordinator? How does a wide receivers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles speak with Jim Tomsula and decide, “Nah, I’d rather not be an offensive coordinator if I have to work for the San Francisco 49ers”?

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jason-cole-49ers-coaching-search-going-on-the-cheap-jim-tomsula-jed-york-denise-debartolo-york/[/urltargetblank]

Latest posts