Anyone want to be the 49ers offensive coordinator?

rlkats

Reaction score
I bet at the end of the day Harbaugh is laughing his ass off.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rlkats":36emsshm said:
I bet at the end of the day Harbaugh is laughing his ass off.
If he had gone to another NFL team, I'd agree. I don't think any coach that goes back to college from the pros laughs in that way, though. Just a hunch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2wts8myz said:
Largent80":2wts8myz said:
@Marvin...... You are a mastermind X's and O's guy, why not YOU?
Him or Popeye whom claims to be a former highschool coach of sorts would be great picks IMHO.

:lol:

Claimed? As far as life's accomplishments go, why would anyone lie about having coached high school football?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":1huupj8a said:
Scottemojo":1huupj8a said:
It gets worse. pe, the evil turd genius, called this months ago. York is so cheap he is trying to save money on coaches.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jas...p-jim-tomsula-jed-york-denise-debartolo-york/

San Francisco is not the place to go to make money.

Marvin and Popeye, are you going to correct Scott? You've both have been telling me I was wrong about York being a miserly lad. Theres no way that I educated you, about your team, yet again.

No way...it can't be....

FWIW they got Tomsula's salary wrong there, but on the general point, I still don't think money is a big factor in any of this.
They didn't like Gase for HC and then tried to get him at OC, and he predictably opted to stick with Fox.

Then they went after Chud, and Chud turned down coordinator offers from both the 9ers and Rams because part of his 10 million dollar buyout from the Browns had a clause that cancelled it if he took a HC or coordinator job. This is why he has the goofy "assistant head coach title" (he still gets five million from the Browns this year while also getting paid by the Colts -- he'd lose this if he took a coordinator gig).

I mean, this CLEARLY isn't going how the FO or fanbase hoped it would (by a long shot, and that's undeniable), but I still don't think money is the major factor here. MUCH more important IMO is 1) Tomsula doesn't have many connections across the NFL and people are hesitant to go coach for somebody they don't know and without much of a reputation (for obvious reasons) and 2) people rightly recognize that Tomsula probably has a pretty short leash, and if things go downhill quickly they could soon be out of the job again.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2x32mxsk said:
pehawk":2x32mxsk said:
Popeye/Marvin

So, a good friend of mine explained that the search function on this site only goes back 2 years (or 3, or 4, or...well...you get it). And, that's a good thing for you because if the search function did go back further you'd see the following from me:

1) 2010 ..Harbaugh's a great hire...but he'll eventually wear out his welcome...and maybe burnout ala Woody Hayes
2) 2010 ...Uh oh...Scot the drunk left SF...
3) 2011...Because Scott the drunk left your drafts will now suck
4) 2012....Kaep's a gimmick, Don Majikowski, with the easiest gig in the NFL
5) 2013....York is still a terrible owner, as are all NFCW owners not named Paul, he's cheap
6 ) 2014...time to get rid of Harbaugh now that the stadium is built don't need to win for revenue

Yes I'm gloating. Yes to be a dick. Yes, because it's the 49ers. It feels good.

What...ya wanna cookie?

BTW, Harbaugh was hired in 2011. He never worked with Scot.

Ah, true. At least typos can prove me wrong, occasionally with your team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ So in bragging about your unprovable infallibility over many years you can't even get your summary right?

And collective breaths were never held.

:th2thumbs:

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":15v6rldc said:
^^^^ So in bragging about your unprovable infallibility over many years you can't even get your summary right?

And collective breaths were never held.

:th2thumbs:

Serves me right that in my moment of pure douchebaggery, I drop the deflated ball.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least you have the 9ers org being a dumpster fire to fall back on. ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2osir76e said:
pehawk":2osir76e said:
Scottemojo":2osir76e said:
It gets worse. pe, the evil turd genius, called this months ago. York is so cheap he is trying to save money on coaches.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jas...p-jim-tomsula-jed-york-denise-debartolo-york/

San Francisco is not the place to go to make money.

Marvin and Popeye, are you going to correct Scott? You've both have been telling me I was wrong about York being a miserly lad. Theres no way that I educated you, about your team, yet again.

No way...it can't be....

FWIW they got Tomsula's salary wrong there, but on the general point, I still don't think money is a big factor in any of this.
They didn't like Gase for HC and then tried to get him at OC, and he predictably opted to stick with Fox.

Then they went after Chud, and Chud turned down coordinator offers from both the 9ers and Rams because part of his 10 million dollar buyout from the Browns had a clause that cancelled it if he took a HC or coordinator job. This is why he has the goofy "assistant head coach title" (he still gets five million from the Browns this year while also getting paid by the Colts -- he'd lose this if he took a coordinator gig).

I mean, this CLEARLY isn't going how the FO or fanbase hoped it would (by a long shot, and that's undeniable), but I still don't think money is the major factor here. MUCH more important IMO is 1) Tomsula doesn't have many connections across the NFL and people are hesitant to go coach for somebody they don't know and without much of a reputation (for obvious reasons) and 2) people rightly recognize that Tomsula probably has a pretty short leash, and if things go downhill quickly they could soon be out of the job again.

Tend to agree.

This has clearly not worked out the way they planned or the way they wanted it to, but I don't think $$$ was the root cause.

Harbaugh is gone not because he was expensive, but because SOMETHING happened behind the scenes. Tomsula was hired because York has liked Tomsula from the start. He made a point whe4n Sing was fired that he hoped the new coach would see what he sees in Tomsula and keep him around.

People who are truly SHOCKED by Tomsula being the choice really either aren't paying attention or simply didn't believe any of the reports of his standing in the organization. There is a reason he was chosen as the interim coach when Sing was fired and there is a reason he's survived 3 coaching regimes. That's how highly The Niners think of him.

Is that misplaced? We'll see.

Vic being gone? That was an ego thing. No way was Vic gonna stay after being passed over by one of his position coaches. There was a report before the Tomsula hiring that he was only interested in stayingif he or Shanhan became HC....yet all of the sudden its termed he was "fired" after Tomsula was hired. Come on now...the 49ers granted him his release because he WANTED to leave.

Roman? He was never coming back.

Those guys are essentially the bulk of that expensive coaching staff.

The 3.5 mil that Tomsula is making is pretty much in line for a guy with his level of experience as a HC.

The Niners TRIED to get coordinators, but they were constantly blocked or turned down. I think the big problem is that people really dunno what happened with Harbaugh and unfairly or not its left a stain on the front office and it's difficult to get peeps with other options available to them.

Any way you slice it, it's all bad mojo, but I seriously doubt it's about money...particularly since the 49ers have become a top 5 revenue team in the new building.

pehawk

Reaction score
Just listened to LaConfora on KJR yesterday who through out, randomly and in a truth manner, that the 49ers are looking to be cheap. Can/will you draft him 7 paragraphs why that's NOT the case?

What flavor is the Kool-Aid I wonder? Does it taste like Garrison Hearst maybe?

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":4nbq3j4c said:
Just listened to LaConfora on KJR yesterday who through out, randomly and in a truth manner, that the 49ers are looking to be cheap. Can/will you draft him 7 paragraphs why that's NOT the case?

What flavor is the Kool-Aid I wonder? Does it taste like Garrison Hearst maybe?

Well his opinion isn't exactly ground breaking. That's pretty much what EVERYONE is saying.

Can't blame them...seems logical...just doesn't make much sense to me. It could be true tho...I'm not saying it's impossible, the timeline just doesn't add up to me nor does it sound like the owner who actually apologized to fans after a loss or put holes in the sheetrock during games out of frustration.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":2gsvzgpc said:

I wrote even more than seven paragraphs on what happened here :lol: :lol: :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105553&p=1565066#p1565066

As for Jed just being cheap, I think it's an argument that only makes sense in hindisght, and only if you ignore every detail along the way. Save for who they ended up with (and ignoring how they got there) what history of Jed York being cheap are we relying on?

Likewise, I just don't think the argument makes any sense. Cheap owners don't enact their cheapness by saving a few million bucks on coaches every year, they enact their cheapness by saving 20-30 million dollars off the salary cap each year (or just being well below the average salary in MLB). If Jed York is being "cheap" by paying his OC 1 million instead of 1.5 million, he's really going about it the wrong way.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Is Rathman still there?

He should be secretly running the offense through Kaep and company. In fact, it shouldn't be a secret. Rathman just needs to blast that guy and take that shit by the horns.

The players need to nominate their own leaders. PWilly and Bowman on defense and Staley/Boldin on offense. Take that action over and just do their own thing. Man, the Niners could have really put together a better staff. Maybe we are just crazy and this is all going to work out, but I would bet money that it doesn't. With a roster like that, Jed is blowing his chance.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1kndm4cy said:
Is Rathman still there?

He should be secretly running the offense through Kaep and company. In fact, it shouldn't be a secret. Rathman just needs to blast that guy and take that shit by the horns.

The players need to nominate their own leaders. PWilly and Bowman on defense and Staley/Boldin on offense. Take that action over and just do their own thing. Man, the Niners could have really put together a better staff. Maybe we are just crazy and this is all going to work out, but I would bet money that it doesn't. With a roster like that, Jed is blowing his chance.

Yeah, Rathman was retained. Some wondered if he wanted to be the OC, but he's supposedly told reporters that he's not interested in being a Coordinator.

While I think they SHOULD have put together a better staff, I don't think they "easily" could have...and I thought the opposite before this whole mess.

They ended up with the guys they did not because they were being cheap or not TRYING to get someone else. They tried. ALOT.

I think the problem they have right now is that perception might as well be reality...IE, if there is a perception that York and Baalke are meddling, then it might as well be true because the damage of just that perception will keep the best coordinators away.

I actually like a few of the hires. I like Tomsula and we'll see if he's a good HC. I like Tarver with LBs. I like Sparano with TEs. After listening to him speak, I'm much more comfortable with Steve Logan with QBs.

I'm really so-so on Mangini and am not, not, NOT a fan of Geep Chryst as the OC. That's the rub too. OC was THE MOST important hire after HC and even MORE important given their choice at HC....and they simply couldn't get anyone to say yes.

They tried for Gase. They tried for Chud. They reportedly spoke to the elder Shanahan. They tried with WR coach for the Eagles. Ending up with Chryst wasn't for lack of trying for someone else.

...and to be honest, I think that's worse. If they are just cheap that's one thing....but getting a rep as a bad place to coach, that's MUCH worse.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have said it before, the Niners still have the players. I am serious about the leaders on defense making sure the coaches don't try to change what those guys do best. It is totally in their best interest to stay within the framework and focus on the areas where things might not have been great. Defensively it would be like coaching suicide to rearrange that system.

On offense they can at least try some things, but they still need to run the ball well and the line players can do that. If they start changing blocking schemes (that comes with system changes) they need to be able to fall back on what they know.

I really don't know who makes a good leader on offense. Its not CK right now though. Its not that he can't, but he is still young and has to get his head on straight. That guy should be working every day on being a QB more than having properly placed tats at defined locations on his body or working out. Dude needs to throw those touch passes, work on trajectory for all his passes and while running left. I can't tell you how many times I saw him get forced to the left and miss a guy for a first down.

I don't really know if they could have actually done better, simply because we haven't seen how the team responds. But dang, it sounded early on like Baalke was steering the system to his liking before the staff was hired.

I really hope that they can hold it together down there, I don't know why but it just seemed wrong. There is a part of me that appreciates the play of Bowman and Willis. Its not like I want them to win the SB, but I think they at least deserve a good chance of it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3otietlt said:
I have said it before, the Niners still have the players. I am serious about the leaders on defense making sure the coaches don't try to change what those guys do best. It is totally in their best interest to stay within the framework and focus on the areas where things might not have been great. Defensively it would be like coaching suicide to rearrange that system.

On offense they can at least try some things, but they still need to run the ball well and the line players can do that. If they start changing blocking schemes (that comes with system changes) they need to be able to fall back on what they know.

I really don't know who makes a good leader on offense. Its not CK right now though. Its not that he can't, but he is still young and has to get his head on straight. That guy should be working every day on being a QB more than having properly placed tats at defined locations on his body or working out. Dude needs to throw those touch passes, work on trajectory for all his passes and while running left. I can't tell you how many times I saw him get forced to the left and miss a guy for a first down.

I don't really know if they could have actually done better, simply because we haven't seen how the team responds. But dang, it sounded early on like Baalke was steering the system to his liking before the staff was hired.

I really hope that they can hold it together down there, I don't know why but it just seemed wrong. There is a part of me that appreciates the play of Bowman and Willis. Its not like I want them to win the SB, but I think they at least deserve a good chance of it.

What you are alluding to is the small silver lining in this mess...

...while decidedly underwhelming, the advantage to bringing in guys that have been in house is that the system doesn't have to change. The terminology doesn't have to change.

While I hope to God the scheme on offense changes, the terminology doesn't have to. Geep also knows what they did before to more easily convey what they will do in the future...

...or at least that's my hope.

In the long run, that's a pretty small silver lining to a huge mess of an offseason so far. Although, they did bring back Tom Gamble today which I think is a really good move. He was a part of that scouting staff from 2005-2012 and worked with both Scot and Trent...so was there for the entire rebuild.

Largent80

Reaction score
So, are you looking more forward to the draft, or getting the staff together?

If I were a fan, I would not be feeling very good about anything.

As an opposing fan with my team ready to win 2 SB's in a row, I am giddy.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":3fnw3ehh said:
So, are you looking more forward to the draft, or getting the staff together?

If I were a fan, I would not be feeling very good about anything.

As an opposing fan with my team ready to win 2 SB's in a row, I am giddy.

At this point? The draft...but then again the Draft is like Christmas for me and one of my favorite days (or 3) of the year.

...and you SHOULD be giddy, just don't count those eggs before they hatch. :D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":3lcs9a0u said:
I'm really so-so on Mangini and am not, not, NOT a fan of Geep Chryst as the OC. That's the rub too. OC was THE MOST important hire after HC and even MORE important given their choice at HC....and they simply couldn't get anyone to say yes.

That's pathetic. It's indicative of a team (and an owner!) that no one credible wants to coach for.