Are we switching to an up-tempo type offense?

DJrmb

Reaction score
I don't think we will ever completely switch to an up tempo style offense completely, at least not while Pete Carroll is the head coach. His style/philosophy of winning with a dominant defense requires his offense to take time off the clock and allow them to rest up. That's why in the past we've seen the offense consistently get into single digits on the play clock and why we seem to flirt with delay of game penalties a lot. It's also why Pete is so adamant about being able to run the ball and grind out yards.

However, there is definitely a time and place for up tempo in this offense. I think you'll consistently see them run up tempo when they get the ball to start a game or a half. This is because the defense is already fully rested and your goal at those times is just to try and get some quick points on the board. Then after that first series I think you will see them going back to being very deliberate, and back to the grinding style clock eating offense. Obviously you'll also see up tempo when they are in the 2 minute drill and even sometimes just to try and kick start the offense if things are off to a slow start. It will be interesting to see how much they switch between the two. It seems to me that in the past Russell has been much more effective in the up tempo when he can get into that fast rhythm.

One thing I hope they will do is use the 1st half time outs more to do exactly this. Many times we go into the half with time outs left. It would be nice to see them instead use those instead to give the defense a breather because they took a chance going up tempo and had to punt. That would allow them to go into that faster style of offense an extra time or two in the 1st half.

Foghawk

Reaction score
sutz":84dcmd0b said:
bigskydoc":84dcmd0b said:
I can't find it now, but I'm certain I read about how the Seahawks huddle closer to the line than other teams, and get to the line faster than other teams, last year. I don't think this is new.
I believe I heard the announcers saying that at one of the games. Not sure if it has shown up in print.

It was mentioned by Fouts or the other announcer in the Chargers game. I think they are just are working being more efficient in getting the calls in and to the line quicker as others have posted.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well we can't abandon being run-balanced and we weren't with the starters last week. When we do that, you'll eventually start to see RW's numbers be less efficient. There is and always has been a give and take with the run game and QBs.

But on the subject of RW, he should be less and less dependent on sideline calls. We've seen for years how Bevell can take way to long to get the call in and we end up burning a TO. RW has been in a much deeper study of OL calls, hot reads, etc. for the last two years. He was extremely sloppy with it early on, which is to be expected, but we really should see a more crisp and organized offense going forward.

Unless Bevell just slows everything down. I mean, RW isn't going to be able to make his own calls any time soon, but this should be much more of a machine going forward. I don't want a Chip Kelly tempo in the slightest, but it should be more crisp. We should be reaching that level of professionalism. I think RW is there now. Fingers crossed anyway...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Anthony!":gs80hrat said:
On this team the best player we have on offense is our QB you build your offense around him period.

That might be a problem...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":7gnfffpo said:
Well I hope up tempo means having 10 seconds on the clock or so, we have been too plagued by delay of games in the past, I don't see it really as up tempo as much as I see it as more efficient getting plays in and calling them in the huddle, up tempo we would be calling plays on the fly and no huddle or Wilson calling his own plays and a quick break from the huddle.

Indeed. Happens way too much.

Damn Bevell...

Anthony!

Reaction score
semiahmoo":jikvufzj said:
Anthony!":jikvufzj said:
On this team the best player we have on offense is our QB you build your offense around him period.

only for your agenda, for us and us winning its perfect

Josea16

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1rvxywo5 said:
I can't find it now, but I'm certain I read about how the Seahawks huddle closer to the line than other teams, and get to the line faster than other teams, last year. I don't think this is new.
That is right and you better believe it's true. We aren't doing volume like Chip Kelly or like Buffalo under Jim Kelly. We're just getting to line quickly so that Wilson can make line adjustments and pre-reads much quicker. Wilson has taken that next step and is doing what Pete expected last year. Last step, which is to audible out of shitty plays.

@Bobblehead, definitely faster and definitely more effective. They are scoring 31+ a game. Bring on Tommay because now we can play him at his game no worries. This team is very close to a San Francisco or Dallas precap team. We may not be defensively as good as 2013-14 but offensively? We're going to be at whole other level.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't see it as fast, I seen it before as slower then shit, now were just efficient.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":2vcl09rf said:
I don't see it as fast, I seen it before as slower then shit, now were just efficient.
Aren't I saying the same thing? It isn't hurry up. We're going to run the ball near 30 times a game and Russ will throw around 30 times a game. Brutal efficiency. Faster, more offensive plays 65-70 overall, not a two minute offense for the whole game like Chip.

hawk45

Reaction score
semiahmoo":178k2jxm said:
Anthony!":178k2jxm said:

You have to be kidding me

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawk45":rojao2a1 said:
semiahmoo":rojao2a1 said:
Anthony!":rojao2a1 said:

You have to be kidding me

No, he's right, H45...

For semiahmoo, it certainly might be a problem. ;)

vin.couve12

Reaction score
You undermine your own love for RW of you go away from a balanced offense. Having a balanced offense makes a defense play their run gaps and read before cutting loose to the QB. It's only a fraction of a second, but every little bit helps. It's also of the upmost importance to play action, obviously. If we go to a pass heavy offense where defenses don't have to respect your run game then they're teeing off and purely hunting the QB.

The running game is every QBs best friend. This is an old saying and will always be a true as gravity.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1pypdm48 said:
You undermine your own love for RW of you go away from a balanced offense. Having a balanced offense makes a defense play their run gaps and read before cutting loose to the QB. It's only a fraction of a second, but every little bit helps. It's also of the upmost importance to play action, obviously. If we go to a pass heavy offense where defenses don't have to respect your run game then they're teeing off and purely hunting the QB.

The running game is every QBs best friend. This is an old saying and will always be a true as gravity.

Ahh none said not to have a balanced offense, well except you1

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, show us where ANYONE said they shouldn't have a balanced offense???

We get it already, you hate Russell Wilson. He peed in your cereal or something. He's not tall enough for you. He's too nice. He's too corny. Get over it and pull for the damn QB, because he'll be here for a LONG time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both Russell and Doug have said in radio interviews that one of the biggest camp and pre-season goals was to make a concerted effort to get to the line quicker.

So that's what you're seeing, it's not some sort of scheme or philosophical shift. Same plays, same 50/50 mix of run/pass.........just get the play in, get it called and get to the line quicker to hopefully keep the defense on their heels.

Nothing new, every great offense in the league (Packers, Patriots, NO, Atlanta) try and get to the line quickly so their QB's can get the offense formations right and get the play off quickly. Just a great sign so far in pre-season that Russell's now to the level of these QB's in doing it.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Would they vary it depending on the score and the time left in the game?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36lfy5ud said:
Both Russell and Doug have said in radio interviews that one of the biggest camp and pre-season goals was to make a concerted effort to get to the line quicker.

So that's what you're seeing, it's not some sort of scheme or philosophical shift. Same plays, same 50/50 mix of run/pass.........just get the play in, get it called and get to the line quicker to hopefully keep the defense on their heels.

Nothing new, every great offense in the league (Packers, Patriots, NO, Atlanta) try and get to the line quickly so their QB's can get the offense formations right and get the play off quickly. Just a great sign so far in pre-season that Russell's now to the level of these QB's in doing it.

A great sign for Russell or Bevell?

Sounds like Bevell needs to cut down from Eeny meeny miny moe.....to just Eeny meeny. :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":187r7h6h said:
Sgt. Largent":187r7h6h said:

Sounds like Bevell needs to cut down from Eeny meeny miny moe.....to just Eeny meeny. :2thumbs:

I know there are a LOT of Bevell haters on here, but if you listen to Doug's interview yesterday with Brock and Salk, he paints quite a different picture of how much Pete and the offense loves Bevell.

Brock asked him a lot of intricate questions about his routes and how he's had so much success. He credits Bevell for a lot of it, he said the layered route running approach that Bevell implements into our offense allows him the freedom to make CB's look foolish turning them into pretzels before cutting and getting to his spots...........a lot of offensives don't do what we do with that sort of playcalling.

No offense, but I trust the opinions of Pete, Russell, Doug and the other players before a bunch of armchair QB's on a team fan site when it comes to Bevell.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1f8jxw8g said:
Seymour":1f8jxw8g said:
Sgt. Largent":1f8jxw8g said:

I know there are a LOT of Bevell haters on here, but if you listen to Doug's interview yesterday with Brock and Salk, he paints quite a different picture of how much Pete and the offense loves Bevell.

Brock asked him a lot of intricate questions about his routes and how he's had so much success. He credits Bevell for a lot of it, he said the layered route running approach that Bevell implements into our offense allows him the freedom to make CB's look foolish turning them into pretzels before cutting and getting to his spots...........a lot of offensives don't do what we do with that sort of playcalling.

No offense, but I trust the opinions of Pete, Russell, Doug and the other players before a bunch of armchair QB's on a team fan site when it comes to Bevell.
+1
I came away with the same conclusion after hearing DB.