Are we switching to an up-tempo type offense?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11voybex said:
Seymour":11voybex said:
Sgt. Largent":11voybex said:
Both Russell and Doug have said in radio interviews that one of the biggest camp and pre-season goals was to make a concerted effort to get to the line quicker.

So that's what you're seeing, it's not some sort of scheme or philosophical shift. Same plays, same 50/50 mix of run/pass.........just get the play in, get it called and get to the line quicker to hopefully keep the defense on their heels.

Nothing new, every great offense in the league (Packers, Patriots, NO, Atlanta) try and get to the line quickly so their QB's can get the offense formations right and get the play off quickly. Just a great sign so far in pre-season that Russell's now to the level of these QB's in doing it.

A great sign for Russell or Bevell?

Sounds like Bevell needs to cut down from Eeny meeny miny moe.....to just Eeny meeny. :2thumbs:

I know there are a LOT of Bevell haters on here, but if you listen to Doug's interview yesterday with Brock and Salk, he paints quite a different picture of how much Pete and the offense loves Bevell.

Brock asked him a lot of intricate questions about his routes and how he's had so much success. He credits Bevell for a lot of it, he said the layered route running approach that Bevell implements into our offense allows him the freedom to make CB's look foolish turning them into pretzels before cutting and getting to his spots...........a lot of offensives don't do what we do with that sort of playcalling.

No offense, but I trust the opinions of Pete, Russell, Doug and the other players before a bunch of armchair QB's on a team fan site when it comes to Bevell.

None taken....and that is as it should be. In my case, I'd have to ignore what I see in far too many critical circumstances, so I'll take Baldwins word as protecting the shield as that is now within his pay grade.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Anthony!":289cagqt said:
vin.couve12":289cagqt said:
You undermine your own love for RW of you go away from a balanced offense. Having a balanced offense makes a defense play their run gaps and read before cutting loose to the QB. It's only a fraction of a second, but every little bit helps. It's also of the upmost importance to play action, obviously. If we go to a pass heavy offense where defenses don't have to respect your run game then they're teeing off and purely hunting the QB.

The running game is every QBs best friend. This is an old saying and will always be a true as gravity.

Ahh none said not to have a balanced offense, well except you1
Go back and read the first 4 posts. Not explicitly stated, but suggestive of pass oriented.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ad84aze said:
Yeah, show us where ANYONE said they shouldn't have a balanced offense???

We get it already, you hate Russell Wilson. He peed in your cereal or something. He's not tall enough for you. He's too nice. He's too corny. Get over it and pull for the damn QB, because he'll be here for a LONG time.
That's so weak.

I don't hate RW and what I'm talking about is to his benefit.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2e5mq4ob said:
Would they vary it depending on the score and the time left in the game?

Of course.

Just getting to the line doesn't mean it's necessarily getting the snap off quicker. You have that option of course. But if you want to bleed clock, you can do so.

Reducing your predictability of when the snap occurs is not a bad thing. But if situation dictates it, Seattle can always just stand there and wait until it gets down to less than 5 seconds to start a play.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":r4vzopfz said:
Seymour":r4vzopfz said:
Sgt. Largent":r4vzopfz said:
Both Russell and Doug have said in radio interviews that one of the biggest camp and pre-season goals was to make a concerted effort to get to the line quicker.

So that's what you're seeing, it's not some sort of scheme or philosophical shift. Same plays, same 50/50 mix of run/pass.........just get the play in, get it called and get to the line quicker to hopefully keep the defense on their heels.

Nothing new, every great offense in the league (Packers, Patriots, NO, Atlanta) try and get to the line quickly so their QB's can get the offense formations right and get the play off quickly. Just a great sign so far in pre-season that Russell's now to the level of these QB's in doing it.

Sounds like Bevell needs to cut down from Eeny meeny miny moe.....to just Eeny meeny. :2thumbs:

I know there are a LOT of Bevell haters on here, but if you listen to Doug's interview yesterday with Brock and Salk, he paints quite a different picture of how much Pete and the offense loves Bevell.

Brock asked him a lot of intricate questions about his routes and how he's had so much success. He credits Bevell for a lot of it, he said the layered route running approach that Bevell implements into our offense allows him the freedom to make CB's look foolish turning them into pretzels before cutting and getting to his spots...........a lot of offensives don't do what we do with that sort of playcalling.

No offense, but I trust the opinions of Pete, Russell, Doug and the other players before a bunch of armchair QB's on a team fan site when it comes to Bevell.

I think most get frustrated by Bevells situational playcalling, not the scheme or gameplanning in general. Maybe Bevell 100% followed orders under protest, but running zone read plays last year was foolish. The lack of Graham redzone targets is frustrating. There are plenty of examples. There have been many games brilliantly called as well.

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
Glad to see the team is adjusting to things that are going on in the NFL. I think the team has adjusted for a lot of issues last year from what I am hearing.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30xrvsj4 said:
Seymour":30xrvsj4 said:
Sgt. Largent":30xrvsj4 said:

This is the frustrating thing about competent people - they can bring a lot of good to the table but be subverted in those good things occasionally by underlying faults in their abilities. You take the bad aspects with the good because on the whole if there is baseline competence being exhibited, which I think is inarguable. Bevell isn't incompetent, he just has a few flaws that make things harder for himself and everyone else.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd like to see them vary it up a bit.

Say we're grinding out and trying to keep the offense on the field as much as possible. We go into halftime, then come out with the first drive in the 2nd half and go up tempo. This is just getting to the line quicker, not no huddle. It would take the defense totally by surprise.

Up tempo give a lot of advantages to the offense. It makes it harder for the defense to substitute. They can still do it, but you'll have DLmen sprinting to get on and off the field. This actually helps wear them out. It also gives time to Russ to survey the defense.

Picture Payton Manning's offenses. He'd get to the line, survey the defense, make half of his bogus line calls, then make the correct calls when the defense would shift. It's a chess match that he won most of the time. Most casual fans think Manning ran the No Huddle offense a lot, but if you go back and re watch his games, he'd sit at the line for 10 to 15 seconds, making it more of an up tempo.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1n3exsih said:
LeftHandSmoke":1n3exsih said:
Would they vary it depending on the score and the time left in the game?

Of course.

Just getting to the line doesn't mean it's necessarily getting the snap off quicker. You have that option of course. But if you want to bleed clock, you can do so.

Reducing your predictability of when the snap occurs is not a bad thing. But if situation dictates it, Seattle can always just stand there and wait until it gets down to less than 5 seconds to start a play.
Thanks, makes sense.

Might tempo also depend on the size of your OL men? To me, this group looks monstrous.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1059qpti said:
Anthony!":1059qpti said:
vin.couve12":1059qpti said:
You undermine your own love for RW of you go away from a balanced offense. Having a balanced offense makes a defense play their run gaps and read before cutting loose to the QB. It's only a fraction of a second, but every little bit helps. It's also of the upmost importance to play action, obviously. If we go to a pass heavy offense where defenses don't have to respect your run game then they're teeing off and purely hunting the QB.

The running game is every QBs best friend. This is an old saying and will always be a true as gravity.

Ahh none said not to have a balanced offense, well except you1
Go back and read the first 4 posts. Not explicitly stated, but suggestive of pass oriented.

ahh pass orientated again does not mean not balanced given we had been more run than pass in years past

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ok Vin, next time you're in town for a game, shoot me a message. I'll buy the first round and we can talk Wilson over a brewsky :irishdrinkers: