Are you having fun watching this team?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
el capitan":1uh360rd said:
Siouxhawk":1uh360rd said:
el capitan":1uh360rd said:
Siouxhawk":1uh360rd said:
Learn the Seahawks philosophy and get back to me. We've been doing it for years and it works. Seriously, go play Madden and set the opposing defense on low to satisfy your compulsion.

We might have been doing it for years but it hasn't been working lately. The fact is the philosophy is flawed without Lynch. It's ok to keep the game close and win it in the 4th quarter but you have to be able to control the clock which the Hawks haven't been able to do since 2015. Therefore the philosophy needs to be either altered or changed completely, but it hasn't, hence a lot of your fellow boardmates here are frustrated.
I get that, but it has been working. Unless your only barometer for success is reaching the Super Bowl every year.

I don't give much credence to the pouty fans on here. They are an entitled lot who think the team should change for them instead of them appreciating what we have in Pete and his staff and what they've done for the organization.

But that is the point, the only barometer for success for this team should be playing in the Super Bowl. They are way too talented on defense and offense to settle with getting blown out in the divisional round.

I doubt you'll meet a single Seahawks fan who doesn't appreciate what Pete has done however that doesn't mean they are not entitled to also feel frustrated by his willingness to put philosophy before wins. You have to replace your key players when they leave or adapt, I don't believe that the Hawks have done either.
The Super Bowl is obviously the objective for both the team and its fans. But to measure whether or not a season has any redeeming success based solely on whether or not it reaches that February game is ludicrous in my opinion.

el capitan

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1x74v684 said:
el capitan":1x74v684 said:
Siouxhawk":1x74v684 said:
el capitan":1x74v684 said:
We might have been doing it for years but it hasn't been working lately. The fact is the philosophy is flawed without Lynch. It's ok to keep the game close and win it in the 4th quarter but you have to be able to control the clock which the Hawks haven't been able to do since 2015. Therefore the philosophy needs to be either altered or changed completely, but it hasn't, hence a lot of your fellow boardmates here are frustrated.
I get that, but it has been working. Unless your only barometer for success is reaching the Super Bowl every year.

I don't give much credence to the pouty fans on here. They are an entitled lot who think the team should change for them instead of them appreciating what we have in Pete and his staff and what they've done for the organization.

But that is the point, the only barometer for success for this team should be playing in the Super Bowl. They are way too talented on defense and offense to settle with getting blown out in the divisional round.

I doubt you'll meet a single Seahawks fan who doesn't appreciate what Pete has done however that doesn't mean they are not entitled to also feel frustrated by his willingness to put philosophy before wins. You have to replace your key players when they leave or adapt, I don't believe that the Hawks have done either.
The Super Bowl is obviously the objective for both the team and its fans. But to measure whether or not a season has any redeeming success based solely on whether or not it reaches that February game is ludicrous in my opinion.

I understand your point but surely success is relative to a team and its situation. If the Browns won five games next year no doubt they would view the season as a success, the team will have grown and gotten better than it was this year. The Hawks are talented enough to win the Super Bowl, so absent another appearance in that February game where would you find any redeeming success? I think it would be hard to argue that the team has grown, or is better than it was twelve months ago.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
el capitan":1treev10 said:
Siouxhawk":1treev10 said:
el capitan":1treev10 said:
Siouxhawk":1treev10 said:

I understand your point but surely success is relative to a team and its situation. If the Browns won five games next year no doubt they would view the season as a success, the team will have grown and gotten better than it was this year. The Hawks are talented enough to win the Super Bowl, so absent another appearance in that February game where would you find any redeeming success? I think it would be hard to argue that the team has grown, or is better than it was twelve months ago.
I get what you are saying and I understand that our talent level is indeed Super Bowl-caliber, but there's just too many variables that come into play even before the playoffs begin 8 weeks from now. You seem to have a make-or-break mentality, which is fine, but I believe there's more at play and won't base it solely on that. I'm crossing my fingers that Duane Brown makes it back because absent him, I'd be really worried, especially with Obi now on IR.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I think I’d have more fun watching if I lowered my expectations.

evergreen

Reaction score
It's not as much fun as 2012-2014 was. Still we are in every game we're play. The flip side is our opponents seem to be in the games too. We don't get many weeks off. Someone talked about gimme games. Are you kidding me? No such thing! So the Giants and colts were relaxing second halfs. That's it. The ref bs is back. Remember when every team had their anomaly game against us? Yeah me too. I'm excited to see the next stars rise up. We all know Sherman only played because the starter got hurt. And if you remember it was a bit rocky at first with all those pi calls. I sure miss a running game. With brown we can start to get an ol going. Might need to draft a back next year.

chris98251

Reaction score
[quoteThe Super Bowl is obviously the objective for both the team and its fans. But to measure whether or not a season has any redeeming success based solely on whether or not it reaches that February game is ludicrous in my opinion.][/quote]

Redeeming is looking for positives in a losing cause, we have had the roster to push that window of Super Bowl appearance's since year two of Pete. When you see the team have less then dominance when they have the roster to be dominant, not just on defense, but also on offense and the leash is off only on the defensive side, it's frustrating knowing we are leaving points on the field and risking losing games on a single bounce of the ball. Only because we have not scored points that take the heart of the opposition away.

Forcing teams to take risks and panic should not be happening to us, we are in desperation mode on offense at the end of games more then any team I have watched in a long time. We do this and it's not necessary to rely on Wilson and company to achieve 4th quarter heroics game after game. We have been good at it, no disputing that, but odds have a way of evening out, when the defense starts to have trouble shutting down teams at will due to age and or injuries we are going to struggle. Not changing our philosophy and hoping we draft or sign equal talent is not going to always pan out.

We struck a gold mine in two drafts with our secondary, but prospecting for Gold is a rare occurrence on the level we succeeded at.

Using the talent we have on offense to score at will instead of from behind would be a good start, that means changing philosophy and calls.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
chris98251":2kxjtceu said:

Redeeming is looking for positives in a losing cause, we have had the roster to push that window of Super Bowl appearance's since year two of Pete. When you see the team have less then dominance when they have the roster to be dominant, not just on defense, but also on offense and the leash is off only on the defensive side, it's frustrating knowing we are leaving points on the field and risking losing games on a single bounce of the ball. Only because we have not scored points that take the heart of the opposition away.

Forcing teams to take risks and panic should not be happening to us, we are in desperation mode on offense at the end of games more then any team I have watched in a long time. We do this and it's not necessary to rely on Wilson and company to achieve 4th quarter heroics game after game. We have been good at it, no disputing that, but odds have a way of evening out, when the defense starts to have trouble shutting down teams at will due to age and or injuries we are going to struggle. Not changing our philosophy and hoping we draft or sign equal talent is not going to always pan out.

We struck a gold mine in two drafts with our secondary, but prospecting for Gold is a rare occurrence on the level we succeeded at.

Using the talent we have on offense to score at will instead of from behind would be a good start, that means changing philosophy and calls.

Knowing what the team could be and not achieving it...it is frustrating. Heaping on top of that the penalties (warranted and not) and the whole thing is getting "heavy"

springscohawk

Reaction score
Yes, I am enjoying watching young players like Nazir Jones, Shaq Griffin, Jarran Reed, and Ethan Pocic.

The Seahawks will always be interesting to watch with chance to win with players like Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin. With players like Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Frank Clark, and Sheldon Richardson how could I not enjoy watching them.

Of course injuries to Chris Carson, George Fant, Richard Sherman, and Cliff Avril are very disappointment but injuries can never be predicted and are part of the game.

If Russell went down with significant injury, then every thing would change. I would probably not enjoy watching the Hawks.

It is interesting to see how the Seahawks are dealing with significant injuries and weaknesses on their team. They are swinging for the fences with players like Sheldon Richardson, Duane Brown, Dwight Freeny.

And there are interesting play development stories such as Marcus Smith and Dion Jordan. Neat stories like Justin Coleman.

How does Ifedi develop by end of year? Does Jockel come back and help with Brown provide decent running attack on left side with Thomas Rawls regaining some of past performance? Does Chris Carson make it back for playoffs? Does DeShawn Shead come back and contribute? Outside chance of Malik McDowell?

Vaclav44

Reaction score
I'm having fun watching this team, but that comment is tempered by the fact that I wasn't able to see the last two games (traveling in Japan). I've read about them ad nauseum and watched as many highlights I could find. Since ticky tack penalties are not on highlight reels, I don't have a sense for how much those may temper the enjoyability of watching the games.

That they are always in their games is another aspect of fandom that is fun. They may be a bit frustrating to watch at times, but tend to pull into it by the end of their games and win a lot more than lose. Sure the losses are tough to witness, but it's the NFL and parity reigns. Even bad teams have a chance each week. If they were losing more than winning, I'd be frustrated. I'm hoping that, through the course of a very long season, they can find a true offensive identity and be the juggernaut they have the potential to be. It takes some teams longer to find that, if they can, and I hold out hope that the Hawks will do it this year and put together something special.

I love the Hawks, will always support them a bit too much blindly I'm sure, and tend to understate their limitations. With my falabilities, I always enjoy watching, and supporting, the Hawks. This year is no different.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1dcs3vdw said:
WindCityHawk":1dcs3vdw said:
Not really. This team is so loaded with potential and yet every week it feels like struggling to get a lawnmower going.

I can't known what it is, exactly, but either the players just aren't fighting for it anymore (which I don't want to believe) or the coaching staff doesn't know how to squeeze the most out of this loaded roster (which seems more likely).

It's also frustrating to see no one held accountable, and nothing change. Now I'm worried they can chalk this year's shortfall up to injuries and no one will be cut loose.

:ditto:

:ditto:

Wizofwest

Reaction score
No, this has not been and is not fun to watch. While we are in the golden age of Seahawk football, watching this current team is very frustrating. They should be playing better with this roster. Game plan after game plan after game plan appears to be: keep it close, wear them down, win it in the 4th quarter. This has been said many times on this board. The error for this approach is razor thin and I give the team big props for winning as much as they do. I would like to see a blow their doors off approach, destroy their will in the 1st and 2nd quarters.
This is entirely done with coaching. Look at the Jaguars and Rams this season. Those have been losing programs for years. New coaches that have energized and reach the players in a different way, they are both doing well. We need some new energy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's a dramatic rollercoaster, which is no surprise to me. What I'm NOT enjoying is the refs taking over every damn game and wrecking the flow of the game. But I don't mind the drama, I love watching my Hawks regardless.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'll go with hell YES!

Look, this team really is little different than the last two seasons. We are a team that is always in the game. The fourth quarter is always compelling and competitive. And we're winning more of those than we lose.

If I were a fan, whose enjoyment of the games didn't manifest itself until the following day when I peruse the standings -- then yeah I can see this would be frustrating. If I were a fan who is incapable of getting over the fact that the OL is a consistent mess, then I'd be frustrated.

But I really don't care about the offensive line. There are plenty of teams with good offensive lines whose teams flat out suck. The two best OLs in the league (Cleveland and Dallas) have atrocious records and are currently not in a position to be in the postseason.

I enjoy what the team is. Competitive down to the end. I can absolutely recall the last game I left early (Giants in 2010 with Whitehurst starting). Since then pretty much every game has been a quality game.

I'm guessing there is a bit of blowout envy that has been growing with this fanbase ever since we stopped dropping 50 burgers in Wilson's first season. Watching the Rams post up huge numbers. Same with the Eagles. Same with Atlanta last year.

But that's never been this team's blueprint for winning.

I'd like the offense to be better. At this point inconsistent would be a massive improvement. Because they are consistently crappy. Every single game. I am at this point completely on board gutting the entire offensive staff and starting over from scratch. Based solely on seeing the results in the last two seasons where teams erupted seemingly out of nowhere with nothing more than just a different direction. This is a team that is in win now mode. And there isn't an option to gut the roster to improve. Gotta go with the quick and dirty.

But that fact doesn't diminish for me enjoying watching the live drama this team provides week in and week out. Every game is close. At this stage, I don't think this team has another SB run in them. The offense has firmly established what they are at this point in the season. But not making the SB doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the ride.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dbmack":2gm5qc7z said:
Always fun no matter what. I don't watch to be distracted or pride in my city since I'm not from Seattle. The Seahawks don't just represent Seattle and I am proud of them being in the state I have lived in my entire 65 years of living.
Well, it was nearly 64 Years ago when I lived in South Seattle (not too far from where QWEST Field now stands), had my 6th birthday there.
I'm with you LOL, at 70 Years old, I've learned to "get while the gettin's good".
I enjoy the hell outta watching my Seahawks....Like it better when we win, but, Everything Seahawks is a joy to see.
Oh and, I don't have any control over how the game is played, just got control over how I accept. ;)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I love these last few posts. The Hawks are always worth watching, and cheering for. They may not always be their best, but seeing them improve over a season while still being in the games (with this current leadership) and the chance to see the postseason has been a great diversion from the harsher aspects of life. I don't need them to win to have a joy-filled life because they aren't my life; sure, winning is fun, but so is football in general.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":59hepya3 said:
Seattle's defense still led the league in 2015 and 2016. Injury and lack of safety depth have been the problem.

Looks like Pete doesn't want another repeat of that decline.

MontanaHawk05":59hepya3 said:
In 2010 and 2012, we weren't expected to even WIN the wild card.

2015 we lost because Wilson played poorly.

2016 we lost because of a couple bad plays in a row swinging momentum and the loss of Earl Thomas.

If we lose in 2017, it'll be because of a crowded NFC field and the loss of Richard Sherman.

So if you really want to argue that there's a playoff ceiling, good luck attributing it any one thing other than injury.

Claiming injuries as a scapegoat is a joke. We have had issues way before said injuries this year even with the RB outpouring. Preempting injuries for the season is not an excuse and not a reason for this seasons outcome. The philosophy is a major issue on this team and it needs to be reexamined. Many on this forum have already even predicated this years end result will base injuries as being the fall guy for the years failures and and are not impressed. You yourself have even stated problems with the team's philosophies, don't cop-out to this years traumas.

WindCityHawk":59hepya3 said:
Not really. This team is so loaded with potential and yet every week it feels like struggling to get a lawnmower going.

I can't known what it is, exactly, but either the players just aren't fighting for it anymore (which I don't want to believe) or the coaching staff doesn't know how to squeeze the most out of this loaded roster (which seems more likely).

It's also frustrating to see no one held accountable, and nothing change. Now I'm worried they can chalk this year's shortfall up to injuries and no one will be cut loose.
NFSeahawks628":59hepya3 said:
This is how I feel, every game is a headache.
pittpnthrs":59hepya3 said: